Oem mufflers need replacement. Upping pipe size

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 04:37 AM
GroundeDCustoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oem mufflers need replacement. Upping pipe size

So im looking to go 2.5" cat back to 2.25 from "Y" to mufflers

I have mid muffler delete with straight pipe(dynomax in garage waiting) xs headers and CAI up front

I like the stock sound it gives off but my rear section from Y to mufflers is shot. And since i want to up the pipe diameter to 2.25 i need a new muffler.

Has anyone increased pipe diameter with stock exhaust?

What kinda muffler can i replace the oem with? Not aagna flow fan. That deep muffled sound. FlowMaster is chamberd not a fan. Borla isnt bad but has that typical borla whistle kinda.

Tanabe is great, but $900 is not on the menu

New greddy supreme sp is t bad but still has that import fart rumble.just on a real moderate legel.

Comptech is also great just impossible to find.

Is there any aftermarket mufflers with straight thru flow that will keep the tone neutral?
Old 05-23-2016, 07:53 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
6th gen accord exhausts fit with very little modification in case you want to go that direction.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:07 AM
GroundeDCustoM

Originally Posted by gnuts
6th gen accord exhausts fit with very little modification in case you want to go that direction.
Is it 2.25" pipe to mufflers?

Thats whats hard about staying with a oem muffler. I wana increase pipe dia but i cant put 2.25 to a muffler that has 2" or less internals. The potential back rumble is like the exhaust hitting a wall
Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Are you running oem cat? Is the straight pipe you refer to a cat replacement or muffler section? If running oem cat, that would be restriction that would make increasing pipe diameter after rather fruitless.

Sounds like you are picky and Noone on here will know what you want.

My CL has magnaflow resonator and muffler and sounds amazing.

My Focus ST has Borla and I like that sound also.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:28 AM
GroundeDCustoM

I am rather picky.

Straight pipe i refer to is strictly to take place of the oem mid muffler i deleted. Rest of exhaust is currently stock. With exception to xs headers and down pipe to cat, and Cold air intake.
I picked up the dynomax resanator to throw in to fine tune the sound. Havnt done so yet.

I like the sound rather much as it is now.

But currently my rear section after the Y, has sprunk a leak by the passenger side flange.

Since it is now leaking i figure its time to do soemthing to help it breathe better.

Plan is to do 2.5" from cat back to the "Y", then 2.25" to both mufflers.

Regarding the oem cat, a high flow one has crossed my mind. It would make sense to do it.
I may just do it

But now since you mentiom that it got me thinkin about the xs headers j pipe. As far as the diameter of it.
Is it 2.25 or 2.5"? I gota check that out.

As for mufflers all i want is a straight thru design. Currently the dynomax ultra flo or the dynomax super turbo are on the list.
Super turbo is not a striaght thru design but has flow plates to assist it. And upping to 2.25 i think itl flow just fine and retain mostly stock characterisitcs.

Ultra flo is straight thru and seems to be the best option. It may give off a touch of that v8 rumble, but other then that, its the only muffler i could find thats straight thru and doesnt have a distinctive sound note such as a magnaflo and its typcial buzz humm nature. Not bad but not me. Chamerbed muffs is not an option either

And drone is a no no. Im not looking for sound enhancement, just want to pick up more flow. My sound now is perfect to me. Minis the leak

So with that said, guess i am picky.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:35 AM
GroundeDCustoM

Originally Posted by brian6speed
Are you running oem cat? Is the straight pipe you refer to a cat replacement or muffler section? If running oem cat, that would be restriction that would make increasing pipe diameter after rather fruitless.

Sounds like you are picky and Noone on here will know what you want.

My CL has magnaflow resonator and muffler and sounds amazing.

My Focus ST has Borla and I like that sound also.

Headers?
Did you high flow cat?
Pipe diamter?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Check out truebendz I linked there ss pipe kit they also have one that is aluminized steel for a bit less. They will reduce to 2.25 after the Y if you want.

99-03 Acura TL Dual Exhaust Tubing - 2.5 Inch Stainless - TruBendz Technology
Old 05-27-2016, 04:05 AM
GroundeDCustoM

Originally Posted by 03 tls nc
Check out truebendz I linked there ss pipe kit they also have one that is aluminized steel for a bit less. They will reduce to 2.25 after the Y if you want.

How close is the TL to CLs pipe configuration? Is there "tweaks" that have to be made?

Im not sticking with oem mufflers, plan on going with the dynomax turbos. The turbos are close in size(length) just in regards to welding to the end pipes. Id hate to be 4" short and have to weld in a nipple if so.

Im going with a porchse style double tip oO Oo. Half circle setup.

Im also considering powder coating the mufflers?!

The turbos only come in alumnizsd steel which im upset about and also made choosin over the ultra flows real hard because the ultras come in a stainless option.

Thanks for the link!
Old 05-27-2016, 04:11 AM
GroundeDCustoM

Do you have a tru bends setup?
How good does the "Y" split look? It seems cramped back there. Like they stuck the two end i. And welded. Doesnt look as clean or open as say a magna flow y slit with a 70 degree angle
Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
I have 2 CL's and both have exhausts.

First one is an 02 CLS auto with a Magnaflow exhaust from an 02 Accord V6.

The second is CLS6 speed with a Comptech mufflers and 2.5" piping from the catback and 2 resonators.

Honestly the auto sound way better. There's no drone out of either while driving but at WOT I prefer the sound of the Magnaflow. It's deeper and sounds more........"in control" if that makes sense.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:49 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by GroundedCustom
Headers?
Did you high flow cat?
Pipe diamter?
My setup is mostly custom and does not have a split to 2 mufflers to save weight.

I am using comptech header manifolds which has 1.5" primaries. Would prefer 1.6-1.75" longer primaries with true merge collector, maybe in future.

Cut the flange off the header manifolds and welded a 2" to 2.25" transition. These transitions help speed up exhaust flow.

Then 2.25" dual piping that merges into a 2.5" true collector. Then there is a transition from 2.5" to 3".

3" piping from there back with a 36" long 6" diameter magnaflow resonator and muffler by rear bumper.

No cat for me, because racecar.

Get a lot of comments at events how good my car sounds. Lots of people said it is best sounding v6 they've heard.

Last edited by brian6speed; 05-27-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:47 AM
GroundeDCustoM

Originally Posted by brian6speed
My setup is mostly custom and does not have a split to 2 mufflers to save weight.

I am using comptech header manifolds which has 1.5" primaries. Would prefer 1.6-1.75" longer primaries with true merge collector, maybe in future.

Cut the flange off the header manifolds and welded a 2" to 2.25" transition. These transitions help speed up exhaust flow.

Then 2.25" dual piping that merges into a 2.5" true collector. Then there is a transition from 2.5" to 3".

3" piping from there back with a 36" long 6" diameter magnaflow resonator and muffler by rear bumper.

No cat for me, because racecar.

Get a lot of comments at events how good my car sounds. Lots of people said it is best sounding v6 they've heard.

Great info just N/A for my application.

Stayim dual and keepin it simple.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
brian6speed is N/A fyi. These J series engines love to breath!!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello from the 2g TL forum! Have you looked at the Tsudo mufflers with the dynomax reso?
Old 06-05-2016, 11:25 AM
GroundeDCustoM

brian6speed is N/A fyi. These J series engines love to breath!!
Y

N/A as in not applicable. Im stayin with a dual muffler setup. 2.5 to 2.25 from the Y.
Tru be dz hopefully here by end of week

Stickin with the dynomax turbo mufflers and a dynomax resanator if need be

Tsudo i checked out. But im not a over the counter type of guy. Espceially tip design
I just got my tips and couldnt be happier. Potential is there. Fit the cutouts perfect.

The super turbo mufflers are the closest to stock (sound wise) with much better flow.
Cant see it being that far off from my goal. Keep it tame is my motto