New Member - 2003 CL Type S 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member - 2003 CL Type S 6 Speed

First off, I wanted to welcome myself to the forum. I've done multiple forums in the past. I had a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee for all of 6 months then it was totaled. before that, I had a 2005 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro 6 speed with upgraded turbo, AVIC-Z1, great sub setup, DPE Forged 2-Piece wheels and Miltech exhaust. I couldn't get rid of my misfire issues so I traded it for the Jeep after striping it and returning it to stock before I did so.

Like the A4, I have always thought the CL Type S was a classic. I know few guys who have had TL's or the CL, both with automatic and both had a lot of transmission problems. After totaling my Jeep, I didn't know what I was going to buy. I drove a rental car for almost a month until I narrowed it down to my next buy. Didn't want a to buy another Audi and as much as my wife wanted me too, didn't want to buy a BMW. I was going to buy a new Honda of some sort. But while shopping, I came across a 2003 Acura 3.2 CL Type S 6 speed with navi. 63K miles were on it. Original owner leased it for 4 years then purchased it after the least. This is probably the first car since I was 16 that I have purchased used with over 30K miles on it but when I drove it, I fell in love with this car. So I hope to learn a lot from reading here and getting to know current members.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Nice pick up, and welcome! This site is the best for info on the CL. Check out the Frequently asked Questions page. Any plans on modding it? Post some pics!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 667 Likes on 389 Posts
welcome let the modding begin.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Welcome! Nice choice. Good thing that you did your research about the 6speed. Quite a few members join up and log on to find that their auto transmissions are at high risk for failure. It seems the new 6MT guys know exactly what they have and how rare it is.
Check out the new member FAQ for some cheap and effective 6speed mods.
Good Luck!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
welcome sounds like you know already the second gen TL and CL are basically the same so dont be a stranger to the TL side

now..
Old 10-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DC3328
welcome sounds like you know already the second gen TL and CL are basically the same so dont be a stranger to the TL side

now..

Welcome! What color combo? Any ideas on mods yet?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the warm welcome's guys! Pix below

Old 10-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Instructor

First thing on my list is getting rid of the Firehawk GTA 03 tires. Although they're brand new, these tires have poor reviews on every site I've read about them. It's got new pads on all 4 corners already too but want to get a cross drilled setup once it's time for new brakes. No sense in doing it now because they're new. I've been looking at rims over the last few days but it's hard for me because I'm so picky about what look I want. I haven't had a car without 4 doors since my 90 civic dx hatch and that was back in the day when 16's were the next new thing lol. I guess first is getting these BOSE speakers out because even though it's stock, these aren't even loud and I hardly hear anything good out of them. Engine mods, pulley, header, need to do some more research on exhaust and will search the threads for what most of you guys are using for intake and exhaust. Other than that, I got my leaning cap on some I'm going to sponge off all you guys between the TL/CL type S and see what works best. I'm amazed by the raw power in this car. I have a friend with a 03 M3 and we went for a little run the night i bought it. I love this freaking car!
Old 10-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Grr, I usually don't post my plates but oh well, these are expired which means I'll be picking up new plates in the next week or so.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DC3328

now..
That's my fav reply to posts with no pics lol. I just wanted to welcome myself before I got my lazy azz up and take the pix
Old 10-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
It looks really clean! Congrats on your find!
Old 10-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,144 Likes on 4,811 Posts
Wow, that paint is clean. Nice pickup. Welcome to the 6 speed club. How much did you pick it up for?

For headers, theres 2 options, XS headers (only used now, they dont sell them new) or Comptechs (I suggest used, since they are over $1k new). This is the best mod you can do, it frees up around 20hp.

Intakes, you can go with anything really. The Comptech Icebox makes the most power though.

Exhaust, some run Magnaflow mufflers, some Greddy, some Comptech. I like the Comptechs because they are quiet, look nice, and do free up some power.

You can get pulleys from our vendors, but the $25 pulleys on ebay work just as well. Thats what I run, and I havent had any issues.

Wheels, thats completely up to you. Id suggest 18s or 19s.

Brakes, if you dont plan on getting a BBK, get some quality rotors as the OE stuff is undersized and tends to warp.

Dont forget to take a look at the Black Market. Just scroll to the top of this page and click Off Topic, then scroll down. Youll see private sales and Vendors. The vendors support the site, so try to support our vendors.

If you have a question, try the search function first or look through the FAQ thread. Theres tons of info there. To help searches become more accurate, surround your terms with quotes.

Anyways, welcome and enjoy your new car!
Old 10-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Instructor

I ENVY you...wish I could've been more patient and looked for a 6MT around my area...there just wasn't any when I needed to buy my car...^^
Old 10-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Wow, that paint is clean. Nice pickup. Welcome to the 6 speed club. How much did you pick it up for?

For headers, theres 2 options, XS headers (only used now, they dont sell them new) or Comptechs (I suggest used, since they are over $1k new). This is the best mod you can do, it frees up around 20hp.

Intakes, you can go with anything really. The Comptech Icebox makes the most power though.

Exhaust, some run Magnaflow mufflers, some Greddy, some Comptech. I like the Comptechs because they are quiet, look nice, and do free up some power.

You can get pulleys from our vendors, but the $25 pulleys on ebay work just as well. Thats what I run, and I havent had any issues.

Wheels, thats completely up to you. Id suggest 18s or 19s.

Brakes, if you dont plan on getting a BBK, get some quality rotors as the OE stuff is undersized and tends to warp.

Dont forget to take a look at the Black Market. Just scroll to the top of this page and click Off Topic, then scroll down. Youll see private sales and Vendors. The vendors support the site, so try to support our vendors.

If you have a question, try the search function first or look through the FAQ thread. Theres tons of info there. To help searches become more accurate, surround your terms with quotes.

Anyways, welcome and enjoy your new car!
Thanks! Before tax and license, 11,7200 so I financed a little over 13K for it. I assume the original owners must have got a lifetime subscription to sirius radio because they traded it in on a Tahoe on 8/25 and I can't see any reason anyone would keep paying for something that they don't have but until it gets shut off, it's free. I have had sirius or XM for the past 5 years so I'll pick up the tab if I have too but only if I have too!

Thanks for all the advise. BBK would be a must. Had it on my old Audi, but like I said, not until I run through the current setup. No need in spending money now if I don't have too. After I get done knocking some heads in Madden, I'll be back on here educating myself.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:59 PM

I just realized the ride height seems slightly lower then stock, by about 1/2 to 1". Does it have new springs on it?
Old 10-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Turbo 6 Speed

I just realized the ride height seems slightly lower then stock, by about 1/2 to 1". Does it have new springs on it?
i was going to say the same thing. It looks lowered. Nice ride.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks clean. After market performance parts have been listed but you should also swap the trans fluid to gm syncromesh when you get a chance. our cars are great but the gears can be notchy and the above mentioned will alleviate that a bit. Also, my 6 seems to prefer Amsoil to any other motor oil(5w-20 or 0w-20).

Enjoy...I also push a rental for a few months until I found my abp 6. Props to you sir.

...also, I swapped out my shift cable bushings and found the trans to be a tad more crisp. ... and do something about the hideous shift knob; there are lots of options.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Waits for Shakira in his

Welcome my friend WElcome
Old 10-10-2009, 04:23 PM

man nice pickup, would like to see pics of your previous rides and congrats again, once the mod bug hits you , be prepared to have an empty wallet, haha
Old 10-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Elijah J
Looks clean. After market performance parts have been listed but you should also swap the trans fluid to gm syncromesh when you get a chance. our cars are great but the gears can be notchy and the above mentioned will alleviate that a bit. Also, my 6 seems to prefer Amsoil to any other motor oil(5w-20 or 0w-20).

Enjoy...I also push a rental for a few months until I found my abp 6. Props to you sir.

...also, I swapped out my shift cable bushings and found the trans to be a tad more crisp. ... and do something about the hideous shift knob; there are lots of options.
X2 with everything posted. I love the Corsport aluminum shifter bushings. I think they go for $30-40 shipped still.

As far as shifters:

S2000 titanium knob + PSpec shifter + Corsport aluminum bushings = a great shifter feel.

No sexual innuendos please
Old 10-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Instructor

I jacked it up and it has Comptech springs on all four corners. I'm not complaining, free upgrades are always nice! The dealer had already put some KYB struts on it before I even looked at it.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Instructor

X2 with everything posted. I love the Corsport aluminum shifter bushings. I think they go for $30-40 shipped still.

As far as shifters:

S2000 titanium knob + PSpec shifter + Corsport aluminum bushings = a great shifter feel.

No sexual innuendos please
That Corsport looks pretty sick! I'm going to have to bite off you on that one lol
Old 10-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Elijah J

Thanks for the advise Elijah. It's funny, I had grown to hate my Audi for all the misfires so much that I sold everything. My wife is still under BMW warranty so I never change her oil. I sold all my stereo equipment and my oil change ramps. I'll have to get some new stuff to go to work in my garage. But I will be buying a case of Amsoil get to work on that synchromesh. Thanks everyone for all the advise. As with every car I decide to mod, I won't be spending money on anything but that until I get it where I want it to be and when that happens, I'll find more to do!
I'm sure I have more pics of my Audi on my external HD but this is all I have on the new laptop.

18x9 3 inch lip all the way around. Living in Seattle, I'll never buy forged again. Those were a pain in the azz to polish. All the rain up here, it was a weekly event for me during the summer.

Last edited by stlswagger; 10-10-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the forum. Your previous Audi looked nice, liking the choice in wheels. You will definitely be happy with the CL in terms of reliability and comfort, and it's also pretty fun to drive especially after an upgraded suspension/wheels etc. I have an 03 6 Speed in Silver as well. The shifter mods that Civicdrivr posted look great! I might have to work on that now, haha.

Enjoy the ride!

Andy
Old 10-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the 6-Speed Crew! You will be satisfied with this car, trust me. If your budget allows it, try to go with Comptech, CT Engineering for your mods. They will last you the life of the car and will give you the maximized performance gains.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
How you managed to find an 03 6MT Type-S Navi escapes me. Congrats on the rare pickup!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMAN1
How you managed to find an 03 6MT Type-S Navi escapes me. Congrats on the rare pickup!
I am just going to say luck was on my side. Now that I have it, I realize just how low the numbers are nationally for the 6 speed with navi are. Hell even the 6 speed numbers without navi are hella low. I was almost feeling like giving up on finding the CLS with 6 speed. The navi was a huge plus. Until I found it, my wife was starting to biatch about how long I was going to drive that rental car lol
Old 10-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Gonna cost to catch up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi fellow washintonian
Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
Welcome in Azine... GRATZ for 6speed pick up welcome in the club
Old 10-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kyle77777
hi fellow washintonian
Sup WA playboy! Glad there's at least one other member. I'm sure there's more but STOKED to be in another car that makes me happy as hell...

Now I'm looking forward to a G2G in this area!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:38 PM
GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Congratulations, welcome & nice SSM!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jacobpockros
If your budget allows it, try to go with Comptech, CT Engineering for your mods. They will last you the life of the car and will give you the maximized performance gains.
Not neccessarily. Ive seen plenty of pictures of rusted and broken CT springs.

Just keep an eye on them. Also, Ive never had good luck with KYB struts.

In the pic I posted, you cant see the Corsport bushings. That was a PSpec shifter and the S2k know. The bushings go on the transmission end of the shifter cables. Its really simple to install. Once you see where the cables attach to the tranny, you'll know. Just pop the old rubber bushings out, then pop the new aluminum ones in.

When you do the tranny fluid, make sure you dont overfill it. They manual states the incorrect amount. Just remove the fluid level check bolt and fill until alittle fluid trickles out - on level ground of course.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Yea, I'll have to take the wheels off and do a full inspection. As of right now, it's driving pretty good. I've used KYB adjustable struts in the past and they've been pretty solid. Now of course, I have read otherwise. I need to get the rear window tint taken off and replaced. Whoever did the original tint sucked balls. For some reason, they only put the tint up to where all the defrost dots or antenna dots are at the top of the window so there's like a 4 inch gap of no tint which looks pretty ghetto. On Monday, I'll be making an appointment with tintxperts. I'm all over that shifter from the s2k though.
I'm diggin those rims civicdrivr...
Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Thankyou, thankyou. It took me awhile before I bought my first set.

Most tint shops wont cover over the dots. When I had my tint done, I did 50% in front (legal for VA, and I get hassled as is) and 35% rear, which blends right in with the dots. Its not dark, but its effective, and thats what I was going for.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:17 PM
GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Originally Posted by stlswagger
Yea, I'll have to take the wheels off and do a full inspection. As of right now, it's driving pretty good. I've used KYB adjustable struts in the past and they've been pretty solid. Now of course, I have read otherwise. I need to get the rear window tint taken off and replaced. Whoever did the original tint sucked balls. For some reason, they only put the tint up to where all the defrost dots or antenna dots are at the top of the window so there's like a 4 inch gap of no tint which looks pretty ghetto. On Monday, I'll be making an appointment with tintxperts. I'm all over that shifter from the s2k though.
I'm diggin those rims civicdrivr...
I have had KYBs & Bilsteins on my BMWs in the past, I now have Konis on my CLS and love them.

Last edited by e30cabrio; 10-10-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Chamorro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome indeed, gotta love Silver! Car looks good, sounds like you already know what your doing!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dave586270
Welcome indeed, gotta love Silver! Car looks good, sounds like you already know what your doing!
Glad to see someone from the midwest representing! I'm originally from St. Louis. Love the ride Dave!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
welcome!

get a really good alarm and garage park your car. there has been a string of stolen cl-s in the last month right around LA. youre close enough.

just a heads up
Old 10-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
also, cheap free mods for your 6 speed that will increase your love for the car.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/113-removal-slave-cylinder-check-valve-734300/

Old 10-11-2009, 12:22 PM
6speed

hey another 6speed in seattle. good choice a few of us acuraziners are going to whidbey island today on a cruise. i figured i would pass on the seahawks game after last week...

id like to check out your cl sometime. hopefully ill see you out on at some of the next meets

Quick Reply: New Member - 2003 CL Type S 6 Speed