New to Acura & AcuraZine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 01:13 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New to Acura & AcuraZine

Hey everyone,
Back in December I bought a 2003 CL Type-S 6-speed from my parents for $2,500. It had 218k miles on it, and they bought it with only 15k miles on it.
Now, I understand that its a 15 year old car with 221,6xx miles on it so it is going to make squeaks and other noises but the following are concerns of mine as I do not have the means or funds really to fix them, so it would be a budget for them in the near future kind of thing.
Over the winter, a front passenger side squeak began when going over speed bumps and in/out of driveways. It appears to be less prominent with warmer weather but still sometimes there. NOW, I have the same sounding squeak from the back driver's side, and this isn't weather affected, and I head it everytime I get in and out of the car.
Also, there is a noise coming from what I believe to be the rear driver's side wheel that sounds like a metal on metal scraping sound.

My parents said that within the last year the replaced the following:

rear brake pads
clutch
struts
timing belt
serpentine belt
water pump
exhaust
There is also a shutter in the front brakes/steering wheel when braking from highway speeds or hard braking. My dad said he was told by a mechanic (unsure where) that the shutter comes from warped rotors and not to replace them until the pads needed to be replaced.

thoughts?
diagrams?
comments?

Thank you!!
Old 03-31-2018, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
check out the sway bar endlinks and sway bar bushings in the front and rear... for that noise you hear over small bumps etc..
Old 04-02-2018, 02:29 PM
CL-s6 4 lyfe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03CLs6MT222k
Hey everyone,
Back in December I bought a 2003 CL Type-S 6-speed from my parents for $2,500. It had 218k miles on it, and they bought it with only 15k miles on it.
Now, I understand that its a 15 year old car with 221,6xx miles on it so it is going to make squeaks and other noises but the following are concerns of mine as I do not have the means or funds really to fix them, so it would be a budget for them in the near future kind of thing.
Over the winter, a front passenger side squeak began when going over speed bumps and in/out of driveways. It appears to be less prominent with warmer weather but still sometimes there. NOW, I have the same sounding squeak from the back driver's side, and this isn't weather affected, and I head it everytime I get in and out of the car.
Also, there is a noise coming from what I believe to be the rear driver's side wheel that sounds like a metal on metal scraping sound.

My parents said that within the last year the replaced the following:

rear brake pads
clutch
struts
timing belt
serpentine belt
water pump
exhaust
There is also a shutter in the front brakes/steering wheel when braking from highway speeds or hard braking. My dad said he was told by a mechanic (unsure where) that the shutter comes from warped rotors and not to replace them until the pads needed to be replaced.

thoughts?
diagrams?
comments?

Thank you!!
Congrats on the car! From my own experiences, the metal on metal scraping has come from the backing plates for the rotors. They get hot and warp creating friction on the rotor itself which will cause the noise. I have to crawl under my car with a screwdriver and pry it away from the rotor from time to time. I always have squeaky sounds in my car even when I had stock suspension and now my coilovers also. I am pretty sure this is from all the salt and such getting into the moving bits causing the sounds because it goes away when it gets warmer and I wash the underbody. I have replaced the end links on my sway bars 2 times and never had squeaks associated with them, but it is a total possibility. When it comes to the shimmer, that is a common problem with the CL and TL because they are such heavy cars and warp rotor like no other. I replaced my rotors once with OEM and they warped in a month, I now have stoptech breaks that are slotted and work wonders. One of the main things you should get checked out though is the front subframe as the 6speed subframe rusts out super quickly.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:35 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by lateralus
check out the sway bar endlinks and sway bar bushings in the front and rear... for that noise you hear over small bumps etc..
Aret the bushings part of the links, or are those separate parts??
Old 04-03-2018, 01:41 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by HorizonCL-s6
Congrats on the car! From my own experiences, the metal on metal scraping has come from the backing plates for the rotors. They get hot and warp creating friction on the rotor itself which will cause the noise. I have to crawl under my car with a screwdriver and pry it away from the rotor from time to time. I always have squeaky sounds in my car even when I had stock suspension and now my coilovers also. I am pretty sure this is from all the salt and such getting into the moving bits causing the sounds because it goes away when it gets warmer and I wash the underbody. I have replaced the end links on my sway bars 2 times and never had squeaks associated with them, but it is a total possibility. When it comes to the shimmer, that is a common problem with the CL and TL because they are such heavy cars and warp rotor like no other. I replaced my rotors once with OEM and they warped in a month, I now have stoptech breaks that are slotted and work wonders. One of the main things you should get checked out though is the front subframe as the 6speed subframe rusts out super quickly.
Considering two shops say $300 per axle for pads and rotors, I'll take ANY recommendations on parts!

I'll have to look tomorrow at the backing plate .Are they necessary for operation?

Someone in a facebFac group has mentioned the subframe as well but was kind of a d*ck about it in regards of where to look, what to look for and symptoms of the degradation.

As long as the car has a jack and know what torque settings I need for everything and don't need to bleed the lines to replace pads and rotors I'm pretty sure I could do it.

I've ALWAYS sucked at bleeding brakes .
​​​​​​
Old 04-03-2018, 04:20 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Brakes are straight forward, you don't need to bleed for pads and rotors. There's a good DIY in the 2nd gen TL subforum.
if you can get the whole front end up, you could spin the tires to really pinpoint the sound.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:24 PM
4th Gear

Thanks! I took my front bakes and whatnot apart on my old wrangler but that was just to replace a wheel speed sensor. HOPEFULLY, Thursday/Friday ish, I can get out there and do some work on the car. Funny how work and weather ALWAYS gets in the way. As far as pads and rotors go, which ones would you recommend. Buying a house this month, so funds are limited and want to make things on this car last! I do a blend of city and highway driving, often hit off-ramps at 65-80 mph, but try not to ride the car terribly hard.

Thoughts on RPMs dropping to 500 when in neutral? Its died a few times at stop lights or coasting this week.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:56 PM
CL-s6 4 lyfe

Originally Posted by 03CLs6MT222k
Thanks! I took my front bakes and whatnot apart on my old wrangler but that was just to replace a wheel speed sensor. HOPEFULLY, Thursday/Friday ish, I can get out there and do some work on the car. Funny how work and weather ALWAYS gets in the way. As far as pads and rotors go, which ones would you recommend. Buying a house this month, so funds are limited and want to make things on this car last! I do a blend of city and highway driving, often hit off-ramps at 65-80 mph, but try not to ride the car terribly hard.

Thoughts on RPMs dropping to 500 when in neutral? Its died a few times at stop lights or coasting this week.
I run slotted stoptech rotors and they have worked super well. No shimmer or anything even after hard driving. As for the subframe issue, mine was rusting out on the right side and I could clearly see it from the front right wheel well when the wheel/tire was removed. I know there is another thread out there with pictures and info on it.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:59 PM
CL-s6 4 lyfe

Originally Posted by HorizonCL-s6
I run slotted stoptech rotors and they have worked super well. No shimmer or anything even after hard driving. As for the subframe issue, mine was rusting out on the right side and I could clearly see it from the front right wheel well when the wheel/tire was removed. I know there is another thread out there with pictures and info on it.
Found it: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ed-out-931595/
Old 04-13-2018, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
welcome

you gonna update your screen name every time you drive the car?