Navigation Upgrade Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
Navigation Upgrade Discussion

I know that the effort I'm discussing with this project far exceeds the potential gains, but it was something I was interested in pursuing a year ago, and I'd like to reopen discussions on it here as I got nothing where it was posted.

Over a year ago I posted this topic over on the Electronics section. I was basically asking about upgrading to an MDX navigation unit because of the updates in design while still retaining form factor similarities.

Does anyone know any of the actual hardware changes to the '03-'04 MDX navigation over the '01-'02? The '01-'02 MDX navigation is almost identical to what we go in the TL and CL with the button layout on the opposite side.

If I retained the CL navigation display, could I upgrade to a newer DVD drive? Potentially, the newer ones would have faster read speeds, ability to update to more recent apps, faster CPU, etc.

If you don't care, I completely understand. I have all of my navigation stuff left from my parts car and just thought it might be worth entertaining an upgrade beyond factory navigation. I know it's not practical, but it's interesting. Any thoughts on the questions I asked or some of your own?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:48 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
what about a putting in a 7" tablet there. You could use a GPS app, music app, torque, movies etc. If it wasn't so cold here in the winter I'd do that. I did some reading up on it a while back and saw a few examples and how-to threads from googling.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:10 PM
Racer

Yeah, there are a few videos I've seen online where people do just that. Even Mighty Car Mods did a nice one with an old iPad. Honestly, that's not really my intended goal. The idea was that the A/C controls would be included along with the retrofit.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:21 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
I doubt the screens are compatible. These things are from the early days of GPS. They changed year to year.

Even if by some miracle it did work, why bother? It's still a GPS system from 2003 (2002 really so it's only 1 year newer than the one in the CL).

The problem with these silly GPS' isn't the maps, which they keep offering updates for, it's the software. The software itself is never updated, even with the yearly upgrade DVDs. This means you still have the same crappy routing, graphics, and voices. Looking at the 2004 model, it's a small hair bette than that in the CL. But not much. Certainly not worth the time and money to attempt this.

How often do you really use the HVAC settings accessed through the navi screen? I've owned my car for years and can honestly say I've used them maybe 1 time. The auto setting is almost always the way to go.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:37 AM
Racer

Honestly, as my main CL doesn't have navigation, I only ever used it if I had to start up my parts car. All of the stuff is removed now, so I don't habitually use it.

Another reason I wanted to do this was to wire a backup camera to the display. The 2004 MDX display seemed like a way to achieve a better resolution for that purpose. However, doing a bit of research on OEM rearview mirrors, it seems that an Accord Crosstour mirror with integrated LCD may be a more cost-effective and modern way to achieve that goal.

I don't know. Like I said, I knew from the start that this would not be worth it. And if I never find a GPS display for a reasonable price, I won't pull the trigger.

There's another question. What do these people think they have? Displays for $300 and DVD drives for $400? Are they high?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:27 PM
I Wanna Beer

It's more of a supply issue. There weren't a lot of them, meaning those available can go for a big of cash. People want to keep theirs working even if they don't use it as a broken GPS decreases the cars value. All lead to higher prices for the parts.
The following users liked this post:
cruxx0987 (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Acura TL

Need Help Please!!! LOL My gps maps on my car are driving me crazy looking like they are from the early 2000's. I have the orange disc but am struggling at the moment and spending 150+ on a new disc is out of the question, can anyone help me out with either an aftermarket dvd i can get with an updated map system or even a little newer file i can burn to put in my dvd drive because mine doesnt even have half of the new streets in my city(Houston) so does me no good at all. If anyone has any ideas or can help at all it would be much appreciated i am new to this site but everyone here seems knowledgeable and helpful so i figured i would ask and see if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution. THanks ahead of time. You can contact me at cruxx0987@gmail.com or try to pm me on here but i do not know if i can get it with the restrictions on the new registry with my account since i just did it. thanks again guys/girls.

-06 Acura TL
No other upgrades just LOVE the car and need new maps! LOL. Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:33 PM
I Wanna Beer

Upgrading the DVD to the newest does not make them look any better. It simply adds new roads and points of interest. It does NOT change the software for a more modern look.

The only option for a better looking interface is to install a new stereo with GPS or mount a tablet in the old GPS' place and tether it to your phone.