My 03 CLS6 Quest To Run 12.99 N/A & 12.50 With Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 AM
03 CLS-6

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
Talking My 03 CLS6 Quest To Run 12.99 N/A & 12.50 With Nitrous

I decided to make a thread about doing this so we can keep all the talk and questions in this thread. I know we took over other peoples threads about it so I do apologize.

Now back on topic for all non believers there's a bet going on with a few members if you would like to join please say how much your willing to bet (reasonable amount) . My paypal account will be ready for when the time comes and I hit the track . I will have plenty of proof of me doing so hd videos, pictures, and time slips.

Apparently no one has proof of a cl running mid 12's so I might be one of the first in the united states? Tag along for the journey!

I have 6 months to reach this goal starting yesterday 3/26/12. If I lose I will personally paypal each and every one of you who participated. I still have a few last mods I want to do before I hit the track. For the ones who haven't been in the other threads here's the list of things I would like done before I go.

The main thing is DSS axles first, new clutch setup second then I could put the slicks and spray on. In that exact order. I also have a aem fic to install on the car but I just haven't yet. I just rather go proper or not at all but who knows maybe I'll get the itch to go before I do all those things, if it's not looking to good with getting a set of DSS axles soon. I will be towing the car to and from the track so if I broke something it wouldn't be that bad.

Here's the bet list so far.

JBlueCLS6-$50
TheWeez-$20
Richardparker-$5

I will be glad to take anyone else's money lol .

I will keep you guys updated with everything along the way wish me luck !

Last edited by 1foxbody; 03-28-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Put me down for $5
Old 03-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Claiming numbers before going to track seems silly to me. Do you have aftermarket motor mounts, bushings, and what is ur suspension setup? Removing any weight?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
Bet is on if there is no weight removed with spare wheel and jack.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 AM
In search of excitement

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
A new thread?! Love it, hopefully It gets all the heat that the last one did! Subscribedd
Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by StreetKA
Bet is on if there is no weight removed with spare wheel and jack.
Without spray I don't see how you will put down better times then reese did with a 13.3.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
Actually iirc he ran 13.5 in his TL. Accord is lighter. I ran a good few times and to drop 0.1s thats alot of work. I ran 13.9 with stock interior and 247whp. 13.5 is tops without spray.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
What are you doing for traction?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,144 Likes on 4,811 Posts
In for results, but I think a 12.5 on motor and full weight is a bit optimistic.

The fastest I could see out of it with all those mods (minus spray) is maybe a 13.2. As I mentioned in the other thread, even with beefed up axles, tires, and a clutch, the next thing to go is the transmission. And you'll probably be wheel hopping.

Oh, and no sneaky petes Who knows, if my schedule allows, I may take a ride out to the track with you just to back up your times if you happen to do it.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 AM
In search of excitement

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
In for results, but I think a 12.5 on motor and full weight is a bit optimistic.

The fastest I could see out of it with all those mods (minus spray) is maybe a 13.2. As I mentioned in the other thread, even with beefed up axles, tires, and a clutch, the next thing to go is the transmission. And you'll probably be wheel hopping.

Oh, and no sneaky petes Who knows, if my schedule allows, I may take a ride out to the track with you just to back up your times if you happen to do it.
There is a pretty large difference between a 12.5 and a 13.2, I think that qualifies as more than a "bit optimistic" lol I think your right tho, its going to be hard to get down there.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
I don't know resse personaly but, if he is running 13.2-13.3 or whatever I don't expect you to run even that without practice even if you have simular power.
He obviously goes to the track and bangs those gears with multiple videos to back it up.
He must have it down pat to what his car can run.
Even with a perfect bite with slicks I don't think you have enough power to get another .7-.8 faster to get 12.5.
maybe .2-.3. and that will only come if you get a sick 60ft
You are going to need more power.

I was actually in for a 11 sec full weight run but,I will stand to 12.5 on motor for the $5.
Isnt your motor fully stock with bolt ons ?

Last edited by richardparker; 03-28-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 1foxbody
I decided to make a thread about doing this so we can keep all the talk and questions in this thread. I know we took over other peoples threads about it so I do apologize.

Now back on topic for all non believers there's a bet going on with a few members if you would like to join please say how much your willing to bet (reasonable amount) . My paypal account will be ready for when the time comes and I hit the track . I will have plenty of proof of me doing so hd videos, pictures, and time slips.

Apparently no one has proof of a cl running mid 12's so I might be one of the first in the united states? Tag along for the journey!

I have 6 months to reach this goal starting yesterday 3/26/12. If I lose I will personally paypal each and every one of you who participated. I still have a few last mods I want to do before I hit the track. For the ones who haven't been in the other threads here's the list of things I would like done before I go.

The main thing is DSS axles first, new clutch setup second then I could put the slicks and spray on. In that exact order. I also have a aem fic to install on the car but I just haven't yet. I just rather go proper or not at all but who knows maybe I'll get the itch to go before I do all those things, if it's not looking to good with getting a set of DSS axles soon. I will be towing the car to and from the track so if I broke something it wouldn't be that bad.

Here's the bet list so far.

JBlueCLS6-$50
TheWeez-$20
Richardparker-$5

I will be glad to take anyone else's money lol .

I will keep you guys updated with everything along the way wish me luck !
list all mods ... and are we running with full interior?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:46 AM
03 CLS-6

I have xlr8 75a engine mounts, ingalls stiffy tq damper, both f&r stock dampers still installed, and brand new OEM radius rod bushings installed. My car doesn't get any wheel hop at all. I will have a set of hoosier slicks on which is very forgiving and soft compared to any stye drag radial tire. So I highly doubt I will have any wheel hop problems.

Yes the car is still a 3.2 with full bolt on's. I don't think you guys realize how big of a difference et wise a 125 shot will make in the 1/4 mile.

Reese ran a 13.2 with street tires and a 2.2 60 ft which isn't great at all. If he had slicks on granted he didn't break a axle I'm sure he can break into the 12's N/A.

You guys don't have faith at all and it sounds like your doubting your own cars. Just because it's not common for these cars to run good times, doesn't mean they can't. No one has had the chance to use and custom axle and slicks so it's hard to compare. I like being the one that's different and hopefully proves all the ones that don't believe wrong.

I know what I'm doing when it comes to drag racing, I'm sure after a few passes at the track I will pull off a good number.

Updated bet list.

JBlueCLS6-$50
TheWeez-$20
Richardparker-$5
Karanx7-$5
Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Dont mind them man. Members here just dont like to hear about times before seeing timeslips and it's kind of understandable. Just prove them wrong. I for one like to see new avenues explored for our cars. Like I said before I think 12.5 wont happen but 12's are definitely possible as long as everything in the powertrain holds up.

The toughest part of the track is the launch for the CL as it's easy to spin the wheels even launching as low as 1.5k rpm. I think the 125 shot once you get going will chop some significant time off. Package that and a good launch together and you'll get it.
The following users liked this post:
kingofdust (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM
03 CLS-6

My car is full weight as of right now. The only things I might remove is the spare tire and jack because that's very easy to remove. Obviously bias ply slicks are lighter and I might have my OEM wheels modified like how I did on my mustang in the past. I don't know if any of you remember me talking about it in a thread previously. That way it will retain the stock look and a cheaper alternative to buying a set of drag wheels. I have a nice set of hoosier skinnys sitting in the garage for the rear I can use. If I decide to do that I will put it on my friends corner weight scale once I do just to get a weight number.

My complete mod list is:

Modified comptech headers 2 1/4" v band collectors, Custom j pipe 2 1/4" piping with 3" collector, Custom mid pipe 3", vibrant ultra quiet resonator 3", Modified comptech mufflers 2 1/2" inlets, Custom 3.5 cold air intake, Unorthodox lightweight pulleys, P2r plenums, P2r throttle body spacer, P2r thermal gaskets, XLR8 75a engine mounts, Ingalls stiffy tq damper, Corsport SS clutch hose, Hybrid racing shifter bushings, and JTC customs short throw shifter with skunk 2 knob. I think that's everything.

The only things left are aem fic, clutch masters stage 3 clutch kit with aasco aluminum flywheel, and spray. Then I will have full bolt on's and the car should make very close to 300whp if not a tad more N/A.

Last edited by 1foxbody; 03-28-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 667 Likes on 389 Posts
Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Just do what you have to do to get the time(s) you want. All this nonsense about removing weight or not removing weight and those restrictions are ridiculous. Weight removal can be viewed as a mod, I know this because it was on a video game I played. But in all seriousness it shouldn't be frowned upon if you do it once you get there. I've removed my jack and spare tire on track days. I didn't on my 13.8 pass but even if you remove it and run a 12.9, does that mean your car isn't a legitimate 12.9 car? NO.

Weight removal is no different of a power adder than thermoblock spacers or a Mugen fan cooling mod. It doesn't add power it free's it up, but regardless it's a MOD. To try and restrict that during your 1/4 mile passes makes no sense...

Last edited by CL-Future; 03-28-2012 at 01:24 PM.
justnspace (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 01:28 PM
03 CLS-6

Exactly I agree with you 100%. Even though it's 100% a street car I'm still towing it to the track just to be on the safe side. I've always towed everything I brought to the track in the past. I rather be safe than sorry rather than get stranded at the track. I know the times might sound far fetched for some but hopefully I will prove you all wrong. I'm even willing to gamble along the way to make this more fun for me haha.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:40 PM
03 CLS-6

I just got off the phone with DSS about a set of axles. Civicdrivr are you sure you sent a set of axles in and they already have them? When I spoke with someone they said they never received a set and he doesn't know anything about them. Pm me your phone number so I can just call you to make things easier.

The good thing is they are located in NC and I'm in VA so shipping times wouldn't take long at all. He said normally once they receive my set it takes 4-6 weeks to make the custom set. He also said normally they start offering discounts when 10 or more sets are purchased. My guess for our cars by what he said other 2.9's sets go for is about $800. I'm willing to send my oem set to them asap if things aren't going good with you civicdrivr so just let me know the deal.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Weight removal is no different of a power adder than thermoblock spacers or a Mugen fan cooling mod. It doesn't add power it free's it up, but regardless it's a MOD.
Agree, if my car weighed 800lbs or so less I would have blown past the 12.89 I got with all the power I have, but the car just weighs too much.

A local FL member was running a 100 shot in an auto with just an intake & headers & he was pulling in 13.5 times. So with a 6mt & a few more mods, I see high 12's but I agree 12.5 may be hard even with the NOS.
When are you planing this run?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Lone Wolf

So weight removal is cheating but NOS isn't. I don't get that logic. The cl in stock form will always be a boat and weight removal is the best mod to do period.

Do you have a ported IM, runners and bored tb?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,144 Likes on 4,811 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-Future
Just do what you have to do to get the time(s) you want. All this nonsense about removing weight or not removing weight and those restrictions are ridiculous.
The reason for the weight stipulation was simple. Fox said:

Brian6speed let's get a little bet going on for fun haha. Since most people on this forum never follow through with what they say when it comes to drag racing their car and running a certain et... What will I get if I run high 12's all motor once I have axles and slicks? Let's just say I'm able to crack into the 11's on nitrous with just a 3.2 that has full bolt on's plus that power adder, full weight 100% street car. Is it safe to say I'm the first cl in the united states to do so? Excluding that single turbo rwd cl which is clearly a all out drag car.

I browsed through this thread in the past and I also had a feeling he was never going to finish it. By the way he spoke on here, the cheap kit/parts he used, and no one to actually tune it for him it wasn't looking to good for him lmao.
He is the one that said full weight street car, so everyone is going to hold him to that.

I just got off the phone with DSS about a set of axles. Civicdrivr are you sure you sent a set of axles in and they already have them? When I spoke with someone they said they never received a set and he doesn't know anything about them. Pm me your phone number so I can just call you to make things easier.
Not sure why they say they dont have them Ive got a reference number, maybe they dont know what the axles are for and as simply going by the reference number
Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 PM

Slight derailment.
When are we going to have a east coast acurazine track meet ?
JCharged (04-04-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
03 CLS-6

I'm sure we can all agree spare tire and jack removal isn't a big deal come on guys cut me some slack lol. The only other way I will remove a few pounds is when I use the slicks and skinnys since they are a lighter tire. I will say I am thinking about having my stock wheels modified so I can keep the stock appearance and be more functional. Obviously by widening the front and narrowing the rear. Here's the business I used last time I did it just so you have a idea.

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/index.html

Civicdrivr your probably right, you should give them a call today to check the status.

No I don't have a ported intake manifold, runners, or throttle body. Only bolt on's and look at the number I already put down. Wait till the aem fic is on and we can tune it plus the new clutch setup with a aasco flywheel. That will free up a few extra hp and I will be very close to 300whp if not a few more.

I know all about weight removal, I went crazy on my mustang lol. I'm hoping the car weights around 2500 with me in it all said and done. Usually the general rule of thumb is for every 100lbs removed is about a tenth of a second in the 1/4.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
So weight removal is cheating but NOS isn't. I don't get that logic. The cl in stock form will always be a boat and weight removal is the best mod to do period.

Do you have a ported IM, runners and bored tb?
It's not that weight removal is cheating 1foxbody said he could do those numbers with full weight so lets see him do it with full weight.
civicdrivr (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Lone Wolf

I'm sure we can all agree spare tire and jack removal isn't a big deal come on guys cut me some slack lol. The only other way I will remove a few pounds is when I use the slicks and skinnys since they are a lighter tire. I will say I am thinking about having my stock wheels modified so I can keep the stock appearance and be more functional. Obviously by widening the front and narrowing the rear. Here's the business I used last time I did it just so you have a idea.

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/index.html

Civicdrivr your probably right, you should give them a call today to check the status.

No I don't have a ported intake manifold, runners, or throttle body. Only bolt on's and look at the number I already put down. Wait till the aem fic is on and we can tune it plus the new clutch setup with a aasco flywheel. That will free up a few extra hp and I will be very close to 300whp if not a few more.

I know all about weight removal, I went crazy on my mustang lol. I'm hoping the car weights around 2500 with me in it all said and done. Usually the general rule of thumb is for every 100lbs removed is about a tenth of a second in the 1/4.
Are you referring to the mustang as weighing 2500 lbs cause I know it can't be the cl? Even fully gutted with glass replaced with lexan you would still be 2700-2800 in cl.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:16 PM
03 CLS-6

Originally Posted by brian6speed
Are you referring to the mustang as weighing 2500 lbs cause I know it can't be the cl? Even fully gutted with glass replaced with lexan you would still be 2700-2800 in cl.
I was referring to my mustang lol. I wish the cl could weigh under 3000lbs. The power to weight ratio would be a lot better.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

there was a 12 sec cl and that was allmotor ......

as far as this car(fox') going 12.9 on the motor ... not going to happen with current set up ... no money ... just take it from some one that has 500+ passes in a cls
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by typeR
there was a 12 sec cl and that was allmotor ......

as far as this car(fox') going 12.9 on the motor ... not going to happen with current set up ... no money ... just take it from some one that has 500+ passes in a cls
It can happen, not gonna be easy but it can happen. With some slicks to get a low 60ft he will probably run low 13s all day but I think with the perfect day and a great launch like a 1.8-1.7 60ft he can make it happen. He makes over 270whp and over 230wtq with a better geared tranny than the auto like yours. Hell you only make 257whp with crappy gearing (no offense). and ran a 13.3 which is more unbelievable than his car breakin a 12 imo

Last edited by reese8789; 03-28-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
As ballsy as your claims may be, I hope you hit em. I'm rooting for you!
Gutted or not still counts in my book, weight reduction is a mod as others have said.

Like Brian mentioned above you should really be looking at getting a ported intake manifold, runners and tb. If left alone you'll have a bottleneck up top on an otherwise free flowing motor. I'm in the process of getting these added to my build this summer. Its a worthy mod from the research I've done.

However I'm going to say I think your going to need more ie: take that head off, deck it, add tl cams, get a valve job, open up those exhaust ports, upgrade valvetrain. Tb coolant bypass? Mdx spacer or horns?

Your going to need to pull out all the stops to hit 12.9 n/a. Towing the car to the track is a good start, ice your intake before your runs, and play around with diff launch points. Track temp will also play a huge part so run on a day with cool temps if possible.
Good luck!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by reese8789
It can happen, not gonna be easy but it can happen. With some slicks to get a low 60ft he will probably run low 13s all day but I think with the perfect day and a great launch like a 1.8-1.7 60ft he can make it happen. He makes over 270whp and over 230wtq with a better geared tranny than the auto like yours. Hell you only make 257whp with crappy gearing (no offense). and ran a 13.3 which is more unbelievable than his car breakin a 12 imo
my dyno was done on a mustang dyno which tend to run low ... dynos are tunning tools should only be used to tune and compare add ons on similar days at same dyno the numbers by them selves say nothing ... on a dyno jet my car would likely have been 280/250 ... i had 15lb wheels and a 100 or more pounds of weight reductions ... in addition my auto ran 3rd out at about 110-113mph so perfect for finishing the 1/4 ... last i consistantly did 2.0 and occasionally 1.9 60's on my one wheel driver auto ... not sure there are many 6mts that touch 2.0 for what ever reason ? LSD and all ...

btw do any of you 6mt guys pre load the clutch before launch... using the hand break ? u need to ...hold rpms at about 4K hand break on let out on the clutch enough that the car is trying to move forward but not so much that the hand break cant keep her still ...
civicdrivr (03-29-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by typeR
my dyno was done on a mustang dyno which tend to run low ... dynos are tunning tools should only be used to tune and compare add ons on similar days at same dyno the numbers by them selves say nothing ... on a dyno jet my car would likely have been 280/250 ... i had 15lb wheels and a 100 or more pounds of weight reductions ... in addition my auto ran 3rd out at about 110-113mph so perfect for finishing the 1/4 ... last i consistantly did 2.0 and occasionally 1.9 60's on my one wheel driver auto ... not sure there are many 6mts that touch 2.0 for what ever reason ? LSD and all ...

btw do any of you 6mt guys pre load the clutch before launch... using the hand break ? u need to ...hold rpms at about 4K hand break on let out on the clutch enough that the car is trying to move forward but not so much that the hand break cant keep her still ...
Most likely why people dont get good 60ft is because of wheel hop and spinning. If I tried with a nice soft tire like a slick im sure a 1.7 60ft is very possible. I launch the car at like 3k or a lil less. With some slicks on a good 5500rpm launch would blow out a 2.0 60ft. guaranteed or an axle lol. Btw I see you live right by me what track you run at? You should come to street heat saturaday night at bradenton. I would love to see a auto cl run a 13.3

Last edited by reese8789; 03-28-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Lone Wolf

The thought of a 5500 rpm launch makes me cringe. Something is gonna break.
The following 2 users liked this post by brian6speed:
civicdrivr (03-29-2012), StreetKA (03-29-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 PM
03 CLS-6

I don't want to do any internal work to the engine at all. Only bolt on's, maybe just maybe I might do the ported intake manifold, runners, and throttle body at a later date. You guys have to remember I have my 92 mustang for a purpose built drag car. I just want a fast daily driver that puts most people on the street to shame lol while being luxurious.

I took one of my wheels and tires off my 95 mustang today just to get a idea on the right tire size and I just wanted to check some clearances near the spindle and upper ball joint. They were 28x11.5-15's. I'm probably going to run 27 or 28x10-17's that way so I will be at the top of 3rd gear going through the traps. I snapped a few pics to see the fitment and one ass shot lol.

Last edited by 1foxbody; 03-28-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM

26.5 x 10's would be a good size to run by the looks of that wheel and tire combo.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Racer

Those will probably slow you down I would go smaller like a 24 incher so that youll be in the top of 4th at the end of the track.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM
03 CLS-6

I don't have a lot of options slicks wise when it comes to running a 17 inch wheel. If it was a 15 inch wheel I would have plenty of options. 24's is too small, shit my friend runs a bigger tire than that on his civic lol.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
well ull definitely stick off the line with those slicks being sticky and the circumference of the wheels increasing the length of each gear. will be interesting to hear what happens.. i think high 12s is doable.go gettt ummmm
Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Put me down for $20, would love to see what happens. Good luck
Old 03-29-2012, 04:41 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
I honestly hope you take my $5. GL

Quick Reply: My 03 CLS6 Quest To Run 12.99 N/A & 12.50 With Nitrous