Motor mounts and tranny mounts. Which brands?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Motor mounts and tranny mounts. Which brands?

Was rapping with parts guy today and he warns that "most stuff like these mounts, U.S.A. label or not is made in China or India."

So we then had a philisophical/tech discussion on "If it ain't broke don't fix it"?
Regarding the motor mounts, one of mine is broken so of course i am going to replace it and plan on replacing the other two at the same time.
As to the tranny mounts, I am not experiencing problems with them, thus I'm now questioning whether the new 2012 Made In China or India tranny mounts are better then the OEMs still on the car now and have been since 2001?

Thoughts?
Rock solid brands?

I was gonna go with Beck/Arnley as i thought they were made in the U.S.A.
Parts guy says prolly more like made in Italy plus he said Beck/Arnley almost went under but got boughten out. Which doesn't mean the quality is affected.

Last edited by NighthawkBlue; 10-10-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Are you looking for performance-oriented mounts or just replacement mounts?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Considering that my OEM mounts lasted me 110,000+ miles, I will just get another set early next year when i replace them.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 AM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
"rapping"?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:44 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
if u want ur car to vibrate/resonate at idle all the time go aftermarket.

I love the oem mounts they have done their duty and have not shit the bed on me. plus they (front trans and lower rear mounts) hook up to the motor (via vacume lines) and actually work together when the motor rocks which is how they can be so soft and yet still be sturdy enough as a mount.

I hate hate hate vibrations so i just know if i put in stiff ass mounts i would wanna shoot myself.

very interesting design if i may say so.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
If need tranny mounts I have both that I ordered and didn't get here in time. Shoot me a pm if you want to buy them
Old 10-13-2012, 03:24 AM
FwC
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I do like the excelerate mounts but the vibration at idle is like an earthquake in the cabin.

How do you know if you need to change the tranny mounts?
Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 AM
Suzuka Master

^ harsh trans engagement is a dead give a way.. leaking mouns as well (for those card with liquid filled mounts) snapping during shifts and excessive wheel hop might be some clues.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 AM
FwC
Instructor

You know, my tranny does an audible "PRRP" between first and second on medium-heavy acceleration. Could a new transmission mount remedy this?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
i have used set of xlr8 mounts 75a that are collecting dust in my garage
Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
Considering that my OEM mounts lasted me 110,000+ miles, I will just get another set early next year when i replace them.
Yeah I've only had to replace my front and side mounts once in the 4+ years I've owned my CL. People on this forum do tend to make you feel like the mounts shatter like glass. IMO the only way you'd break your mounts like that is if you launch your car around most of the time.

But about the xlr8 mounts, do they still transfer a lot of vibration if you buy the street durometer set? I have an Ingalls ETD, and I can easily ignore the vibration in the steering wheel at idle.. If it's similar to that, then I'd definitely consider them when/if my OEM mounts go out again.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 AM
FwC
Instructor

Well most of the consensus is that the premature failure of the front mount causes a domino effect that leads to the failure of the side and then rear motor mount. I would ask StreetKA if he'd consider selling just the front. Or selling just the front and side and using OEM on the rear.

The creator of the thread never auto or manual on the tranny. But when I got my Excelerate mounts the front and rear are identical.

With all this vibration I'm getting I believe keeping an OEM rear with excelerate front/side would be a viable option to reduce the vibrations. But your question about the street durometer may have something to do with it, I'm using 75A.

The problem buying second-hand is that you'd have to ask excelerate what options he has when replacing the bushings should the need arise. Buying directly from XLR8 provides a lifetime warranty on the bushings.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:56 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

this car is too nice to have vibrations resonating through it. if you wanna ruin the car then gut it.. or better yet buy a car that is a tin can already.

i added a strut bar to my car at one point and it just touched the p2rplenums, but bolted up fine. let me tell you.. if the vibrations are even 25% of what i felt after doing that i would have literally bought a new car.

it felt like i was in a 7 sec funnycar with 2000hp begging to go bonkers.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Safety Car

iirc the 75A is the street durometer. I'm just looking for something more reliable than the OEM mounts. I mean I've only had to replace the front and side mounts once since I've owned the car, but it was in the 600-800 dollar range to have them replaced..

and I agree with CL-S progression. IMO the CL's luxury (or half-luxury, I suppose?) should be preserved, not gutted.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Racer

What brand is the OE motor mounts?
OE tranny mounts?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Are you looking for performance-oriented mounts or just replacement mounts?
Just replacement. FWIW a very good alignment shop thought OE was the only way to go. Now the Q, what is the OE on a 2001 CLS?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Racer

Hydraulic assisted motor mounts OEM with vacume line....

If this helps anyone in their mm parts search:

I called Delray Acura /AcuraOEMparts.com
Delray said Acura 86'd the hydraulic motor mount system as it was deemed not helpful enough to matter. They said solid metal/rubber ones were fine, the hydraulic assisted mm's with vacume line can be disregarded.

If you believe hydraulic assisted are neccessary please post!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Racer

OP by NighthawkBlue Was rapping with parts guy today......

Originally Posted by yungone501
"rapping"?
Well,.... yeah.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (10-17-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NighthawkBlue
Just replacement. FWIW a very good alignment shop thought OE was the only way to go. Now the Q, what is the OE on a 2001 CLS?
Meaning vs Chinese or Indian or U.S. with similar potentially weaker metal.
Not meaning OEM over your perfomance motor mounts Excellerate!
Just wanted to clarify.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:33 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
I was thinking of replacing the front/side mounts with the solid mounts, but my buddy just replaced all 3 of mine with OE mounts. It's better when shifting, but letting off the gas in 1st or 2nd still yields a pretty abrupt lurch forward.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:03 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

that's the car IMHO not the mounts.. tho mounts may help the symptom, it's due to the engine design itself.

some cars are just worse with that other with that lurching forward business.

even in my auto i have to feather the pedal when letting go of the throttle in 2nd.. but w/e
Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Safety Car

Hydraulic assisted motor mounts OEM with vacume line....

If this helps anyone in their mm parts search:

I called Delray Acura /AcuraOEMparts.com
Delray said Acura 86'd the hydraulic motor mount system as it was deemed not helpful enough to matter. They said solid metal/rubber ones were fine, the hydraulic assisted mm's with vacume line can be disregarded.

If you believe hydraulic assisted are neccessary please post!
And when you called Acura (not a dealership) they said....?

IMO if Acura got rid of the hydraulic motor mount system wouldn't we see some sort of recall notice or something similar? Wouldn't Acura recommend something else instead of turning us to these "discontinued" mounts, even on our old cars?

Or am I missing something here..?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rapture
And when you called Acura (not a dealership) they said....?

IMO if Acura got rid of the hydraulic motor mount system wouldn't we see some sort of recall notice or something similar? Wouldn't Acura recommend something else instead of turning us to these "discontinued" mounts, even on our old cars?

Or am I missing something here..?
Delray Acura is a dealership that also has a parts dept that ships at 25% off retail + 5% more discount for us Acurazine members. That is my understanding.
The Delray parts rep on the phone seemed certain that the hydraulic motor mount system has been ceased by Ac. Apparantly when putting in new ones we should cap the vacume line.

Can we get some verification from poster(s)-mods?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Delray Acura is a dealership that also has a parts dept that ships at 25% off retail + 5% more discount for us Acurazine members. That is my understanding.
The Delray parts rep on the phone seemed certain that the hydraulic motor mount system has been ceased by Ac. Apparantly when putting in new ones we should cap the vacume line.

Can we get some verification from poster(s)-mods?

Mods don't have any special info on this kind of thing. We learn the same way everyone else here does, by experience or information from the people we come in contact with.

I have not heard that Acura discontinued use of the OE mounts .... OTOH I haven't needed to find out since we changed a couple motor mounts a few years back.

A parts search is inconclusive, but does still list all the parts for vacuum/solenoid activated mounts.

Personally if I was doing this myself, I'd lean toward the OE mounts or OE replacement mounts. I don't buy "even if it's marked USA, it's made in China or India". There are rules for this and 'Made in the USA' requires a certain percentage of parts to be USA sourced parts. 'Assembled in the USA' however is a completely different animal and says nothing about the source of the parts.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Racer

10-4 perhaps we can do a group effort to find out if who exactly makes the OE and/or OEM mount, and can it be purchased strictly thru dealerships.

50800-SOK-A82 is the Honda part # for Front Mount 2001-02-03 CLS
Honda did put out a technical service bulletin/warranty notice in June of 2006 and labeled it a defective part in need of replacement. Idle Vibration/Harsh Shifting was subject.

Incidentally two of my Beck/Arnley brand mounts arrived today. The 3rd one (front) was out of stock. Made in Taiwan. <ordered them previously, had not yet been told OE was perhaps the only way to go. Maybe these B/As are fine.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Suzuka Master

^ I guess I'll find out when I do my mounts in feb...
Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Mods don't have any special info on this kind of thing. We learn the same way everyone else here does, by experience or information from the people we come in contact with.

I have not heard that Acura discontinued use of the OE mounts .... OTOH I haven't needed to find out since we changed a couple motor mounts a few years back.

A parts search is inconclusive, but does still list all the parts for vacuum/solenoid activated mounts.

Personally if I was doing this myself, I'd lean toward the OE mounts or OE replacement mounts. I don't buy "even if it's marked USA, it's made in China or India". There are rules for this and 'Made in the USA' requires a certain percentage of parts to be USA sourced parts. 'Assembled in the USA' however is a completely different animal and says nothing about the source of the parts.

Not sure who said that these were discontinued, but I do apologize for the misinformation. The mounts are still available from Acura.

The mounts pictured above are for an '01-'03 CL AT. (For a differnt year or MT, please PM me you cars info.)
For an interactive page with part numbers, the above diagram and pricing, use the following link:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PJ-Delray Acura
Not sure who said that these were discontinued, but I do apologize for the misinformation. The mounts are still available from Acura.
Not discontinued, but rather the hydraulic aspect was deemed ineffective by Acura hence to simply cap off the vacume line hose.
True?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Racer

PJ can we be told the manufacturer?
Or is that a trade secret?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Looks like it's a secret. I pulled 1 from stock and there are no manufacturing marks on it. The Honda label states 'Assembled in USA'.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Racer

Looks like it's a secret. I pulled 1 from stock and there are no manufacturing marks on it. The Honda label states 'Assembled in USA'.
PJ can you find out from your service dept:
Is the hydraulic aspect of the Acura motor mounts indeed deemed long ago to be ineffective and thus discontinued?
If so:

The two mounts that have a vacuum line coming out of them, the front mm and one side mm when replaceing them as regards the vacuum line....
1. Are the vacuum lines simply to be capped off?
or
2. Reconnect vacuum line into whatever it is it plugs into?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 PM
FwC
Instructor

only front and rear have the vacuum line.
I'm sure simply capping them off wouldn't change anything much.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sonnick
I was thinking of replacing the front/side mounts with the solid mounts, but my buddy just replaced all 3 of mine with OE mounts. It's better when shifting, but letting off the gas in 1st or 2nd still yields a pretty abrupt lurch forward.
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
that's the car IMHO not the mounts.. tho mounts may help the symptom, it's due to the engine design itself.

even in my auto i have to feather the pedal when letting go of the throttle in 2nd.. but w/e
I'm sorry, but I never quite understood this. I mean for me and my CL, I feel like the car lurches forward more when I take my foot off the gas when it's shifting. Or is my timing just really off?

but yeah it very well could be the car, not necessarily the mounts or the transmission as to why the car lurches a bit like that. I drove a ILX and it did the same thing going from 1st to 2nd. as a matter of fact it lurched harder than my CL ever has with any shift.