Looking at an 03 CLS6, just a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 214 Posts
Looking at an 03 CLS6, just a few questions

Hey all. I've recently been thrown into the world of Acura, acquiring an 06 TL a month or two ago.

I've got the itch to get back on a manual transmission, so I want to sell the TL to my girlfriend and buy this CL-S

Going to see the car this weekend, and based on the few pictures, it looks amazing. The engine bay is ridiculously clean for having 186k on it....let alone the interior.

Anyhow, I was just seeking input for what I should look for besides the obvious aspects. (I'd like to believe that I'm mechanically inclined, and would recognize if the valve cover was leaking, or the radiator was zip-tied on etc.). The guy claims the gears are perfectly smooth, and the clutch was recently replaced, and has all receipts from all maintenance ever done on the car. (it APPEARS very well taken care of, but obviously I can only judge that when I actually see it).

Any input on common failure points on these cars would be greatly appreciated. I will update with info accordingly.

Thank you!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:35 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
check to see when the last time the timing belt service was done. I'd have a look at the subframe too for any rust/corrosion. These cars are pretty solid, but at this age it's common things that have worn like bushings, shocks etc.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,391 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
Anyhow, I was just seeking input for what I should look for besides the obvious aspects. (I'd like to believe that I'm mechanically inclined, and would recognize if the valve cover was leaking, or the radiator was zip-tied on etc.). The guy claims the gears are perfectly smooth, and the clutch was recently replaced, and has all receipts from all maintenance ever done on the car. (it APPEARS very well taken care of, but obviously I can only judge that when I actually see it).
Sounds like you found a keeper and getting it with a new clutch, at 186K, is a plus, hopefully they put in a new rear main seal. Pour over the provided receipts to see if the front ball joints and wheel bearings have been replaced; when the last timing belt service was accomplished, whether or not the valves have ever been adjusted, whether or not the EGR passageways into the intake manifold have ever been cleaned; whether or not the motor mounts have been replaced.

Keep in mind the rear OEM motor mount part alone is north of $500 if it needs to be replacedRun the AC to see if it works, seeing that you are from Ohio, don't know how important that is to you all up there. Suspension bushings may need to be checked as well, ie Inner/outer lower control arm bushings etc. Make sure the power seats work, the windows function smoothly; rack and pinion is not leaking, you know, ALL the stuff that would 'nickel and dime' you to death to get it up to your standard of safety for a 186K vehicle.

Good Luck

Last edited by zeta; 05-04-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gnuts
check to see when the last time the timing belt service was done. I'd have a look at the subframe too for any rust/corrosion. These cars are pretty solid, but at this age it's common things that have worn like bushings, shocks etc.
+1 - I bought my 02 CL-S last August, and the first thing I did was replace the timing belt (only had 98k on the car but didn't want to mess around). Shortly after, I had to have the subframe replaced due to rust on the passenger side front.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
+1 on the subframe. My CL was wrecked on the passenger's side. The driver's side was nearly rusted through.