Are light weight front brake calipers available ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Are light weight front brake calipers available ?

Are their any manufacturers selling light weight calipers for our cars without stepping up to larger rotors ?

Or how do I go about figuring ones that could be used for our cars ?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
only thing lightweight i can think of would be NSX calipers, but from what I hear they are rare to find now, I have them on my car not too much lighter than stock though.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Whats your reasoning for wanting light weight calipers? They are un-sprung weight and not rotating mass. Plus, if lighter they are most likely thinner material which may not hold up well in serious heat cycles.

And as far as figuring out a one off set up, I'd contact someone like Master Power Brakes to help you out, they specialize in custom brake apps.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
the rl calipers is lighter then our oem caliper. the rotor is heavier but u can always get a 2pc rotor
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by ANC297
Whats your reasoning for wanting light weight calipers? They are un-sprung weight and not rotating mass. Plus, if lighter they are most likely thinner material which may not hold up well in serious heat cycles.

And as far as figuring out a one off set up, I'd contact someone like Master Power Brakes to help you out, they specialize in custom brake apps.
I want light weight calipers to reduce dead weight.

I don't want a huge fancy setup just a super light weight small caliper that will have the same braking power as I have now.

Master power brake have a site ?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
We offer our XLR8 brake kit by STOPTECH. Yes it does have a larger rotor but it is a complete solution that will dramatically improve braking. I'd have to measure the exact weights again. I believe it was lighter than the stock setup

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-533156.aspx

Just some basic info below.

XLR8 Touring Big Brake Kits are essentially StopTech® Touring Big Brake Kits®. These kits are the ultimate in 1-piece rotor brake upgrade systems and represent the best performance value in the StopTech® lineup.

They offer nearly the same performance as the StopTech® Big Brake Kits and Trophy full race systems at a more affordable price point. Designed for street driven production vehicles, StopTech® Touring Kits include forged 2-piece calipers, larger 1-piece rotors, StopTech® Stainless Steel Brake Lines, StopTech® Street Performance Brake Pads and application-specific caliper brackets.

The stiff 2-piece, fully-forged calipers have designated piston sizes specific to each application and provide a firmer, more responsive brake pedal that provides better brake pedal modulation.For this application, the Touring Big Brake Kits® is available in a four piston configuration and 5 different caliper colors that use a special high temperature paint to withstand extreme conditions. All StopTech® Touring Big Brake Kits® include stiff calipers that utilize silicone dust boots to extend service intervals.

The larger 1-piece rotors, available in Power Slot® slotted, or StopTech® SportStop® drilled finishes, provide greater heat capacity and reduced brake fade. Also assisting in fade resistance and higher performance are the StopTech® Street Performance Pads® which have a high maximum operating temperature, and high bite for responsive brakes that can be driven hard.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by richardparker
I want light weight calipers to reduce dead weight.

I don't want a huge fancy setup just a super light weight small caliper that will have the same braking power as I have now.

Master power brake have a site ?
mpbrakes.com

I know Carmen who started the company back in the 80's and Angel who works there now. They primarily do classic car stuff but they do a lot of custom sizing and fitting which may be a help in your situation