Issue shifting into 5th and 6th on 03 CL-S6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Squag27
Throw some butter and jam on that thing cuz it's toast, lol.
Has the clutch material worn down to be even with the rivets?

Looks a little fried, lol. At least the center forks and circular spring mechanism is still in place, more on that later.

Nice little ride. Are those OEM sized 215's or 225/50/17's you are running? Just curious.

As alluded to above in regards to the PP, here is an example of damage that an OEM PP can do when parts of it decide to grenade within the tranny bell housing, lol. This guy drives his car hard on the street; but, he can pull the tranny in 3hrs, so it's not a big deal to him.

Originally Posted by 2ndgentl
Finally I had time to drop the tranny today. Funny how I can do this in 3 hrs now with no problem...lol One of the metal sensor tabs broke on the Aasco flywheel. I also noticed that a piece of the pressure plate broke, which you can see on the pic.

Not sure how this can break like that. 2 yr old clutch with 25k on it.

Notice the sensor tab broken

Here's my favorite pic...pointed at the broken sensor tab

Tranny has metal scratches all over it

The rest of the metal pieces found

Even starter got a little damaged

Here is a picture of his tranny side crank sensor.

Originally Posted by 2ndgentl

Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Oakroadsteve
Yes I worked with you M.C. and you were the "driving" force behind my purchasing a used 01 auto.
Great minds think alike.

It was the spring and summer of 03 if I recall. I worked for Rose R. and with A.K. and you were remembered fondly. Art and I are still very close btw. I'll share this verbal reunion with Arthur who now resides in Texas.
Yeah, that was the best job I ever had. Even though it was difficult, if it were not for the Chap. 11 B.S; and the fact they were pulling the HQ out of Boca, I would have stayed, cause my move to DHL was just one big cluster f*ck, worst decision in the world.

Art is a good man, his expertise helped me there alot, if it were not for him, Canada FA 's would of NEVER been cleaned up. Last time I searched for him on the net, a few years back, I learned he completed his masters and is now running the FA show at a utility in Austin, IIRC. Say hi for me.

So you SC'd your SMR 6......it must still be a formidable vehicle to encounter on the roads of Broward and beyond.
Only if it were tuned properly, which takes $$ to purchase the best standalone and find a tuner to dial it all in.

FYI, if you or your son are interested in a S/C'er, they sometimes pop up in the blackmarket section, so be on the look out. Otherwise, the next best naturally aspirated option is to drop in a J35A3 engine, from an '01-02 MDX, in place of your J32A2. The engine bolts right up to the Auto and the 6-speed tranny; however, to get it to work with the CL-S6, you need to swap over the 6-speed J32 timing gear, pulley side crank sensor & bracket, front cam gear, backing plate & sensors/harness. It's supposed to add some low in torque to get our 'fat pigs' up a little quicker from a stop, hehe. With the current mods on your Auto CL and a J35A3 under the bonnet, you would sure surprise alot of people you find running you. In addition, you can make the J35A3 a Type-S by either swapping the whole J32 heads or the J32 cams, supposedly that benefits with additional HP. All this info is on the forum in many places, just in case you want to read up on it.
The following users liked this post:
Oakroadsteve (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta

Wow. When time/funds permit, try and get that TB done as soon as possible. Early on in this car's life, there was a problem with malfunctioning belt tensioners leaking, which in-turn, during an over-rev, could cause pistons to run into valves due to 'float'.
Speaking of TB's....I'd read a post back in 2011 or so from RUF87 who had his TB bored and devised an enlarged intake made of plastic pipe that connected directly to the throttle body. He claimed the upgrade gave him a considerable enough amount of torque that at full throttle would cause his TL to lose traction on the second gear upshift. This is with an auto......

I have the dual throttle body set up in my 01 CL and assume both would need to be done. As shared earlier my son's 6 speed is a strong one. He and I both also have Detroit Iron in our driveway and my 06 Vette that when stock has spanked his modded 06 GTO. I'm tiring of hearing what he's going to do to my CL when he get headers.

You are obviously an expert on the 2nd gen Acura Cl's. Is it worth my trouble to have both TB's enlarged? I recently invested a considerable sum replacing a bad cam with a 224/228 unit and installing headers on my C6 Corvette and my wife would murder me if put any more $$ into a SC for the CL. That said the well is never completely dry for a sensible upgrade.

I have a PM coming shortly with AK's contact info who would like to touch base with you.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by zeta

Wow. When time/funds permit, try and get that TB done as soon as possible. Early on in this car's life, there was a problem with malfunctioning belt tensioners leaking, which in-turn, during an over-rev, could cause pistons to run into valves due to 'float'.
Oakroadsteve, just a quick clarification, the 'TB' in the above response^ equals 'timing belt'. It was mentioned as a result of your son inadvertently bouncing off the RPM 'redline' during the 'misshift' you outlined in post #19. Since your son mentioned that the original owner had not performed the timing belt service before the sale, I was just informing him that some of the early factory production 'automatic adjuster TB belt tensioners' were defective and leaked, weakening them. If the car subsequently entered into an 'overrev' scenario, like a mishift, then 'valve float' could result in 'bent valves'. Back in the fall of '03 I had something cause my valves to hit the pistons during a trip down I-75. I did not 'overrev' so it must have been a defective TB tensioner.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...y-case-446281/

Speaking of TB's....I'd read a post back in 2011 or so from RUF87 who had his TB bored and devised an enlarged intake made of plastic pipe that connected directly to the throttle body. He claimed the upgrade gave him a considerable enough amount of torque that at full throttle would cause his TL to lose traction on the second gear upshift. This is with an auto......

I have the dual throttle body set up in my 01 CL and assume both would need to be done. As shared earlier my son's 6 speed is a strong one. I'm tiring of hearing what he's going to do to my CL when he get headers.
In regards to your inquiry about 'throttle body porting' above, I believe that if you have basically 'hit the wall' with inexpensive engine mods for your Auto CL, then opening up the orifice's of your 'duel' TB set-up may help 'reign in' your sons 6-speed advantage.

Moreover, lol, If he is giving you the 'goad' about whooping-ass even more when he gets headers, one of the 'best bangs for the buck' to stay competitive would be, IMHO, weight reduction within the car.

If possible, please post a picture of your duel TB set-up. The visual would do wonders in analyzing how you configured it to work etc; and I'm sure others would like to see as well.

You are obviously an expert on the 2nd gen Acura Cl's. Is it worth my trouble to have both TB's enlarged? I recently invested a considerable sum replacing a bad cam with a 224/228 unit and installing headers on my C6 Corvette and my wife would murder me if put any more $$ into a SC for the CL. That said the well is never completely dry for a sensible upgrade.
Thanks for the compliment; however, believe me, I'm FAR from being an expert, hehe. I know what I know mostly from reading 'other peoples' experiences on this forum over the many years. I will most likely 'drive the wheels off' my car or grenade the engine, which ever occurs first, long before purchasing another car; so, if I can help someone out new to the platform, then I try.

Last edited by zeta; 06-10-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=zeta;16035860]Oakroadsteve, just a quick clarification, the 'TB' in the above response^ equals 'timing belt'. It was mentioned as a result of your son inadvertently bouncing off the RPM 'redline' during the 'misshift' you outlined in post #19. Since your son mentioned that the original owner had not performed the timing belt service before the sale, I was just informing him that some of the early factory production 'automatic adjuster TB belt tensioners' were defective and leaked, weakening them. If the car subsequently entered into an 'overrev' scenario, like a mishift, then 'valve float' could result in 'bent valves'. Back in the fall of '03 I had something cause my valves to hit the pistons during a trip down I-75. I did not 'overrev' so it must have been a defective TB tensioner.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...y-case-446281/

In regards to your inquiry about 'throttle body porting' above, I believe that if you have basically 'hit the wall' with inexpensive engine mods for your Auto CL, then opening up the orifice's of your 'duel' TB set-up may help 'reign in' your sons 6-speed advantage.

Moreover, lol, If he is giving you the 'goad' about whooping-ass even more when he gets headers, one of the 'best bangs for the buck' to stay competitive would be, IMHO, weight reduction within the car.

If possible, please post a picture of your duel TB set-up. The visual would do wonders in analyzing how you configured it to work etc; and I'm sure others would like to see as well.

Z......the 01's had a convoluted set up with what appears to be two throttle bodies attached to each other. There's a reference to it on this site.but if I don't recall the reason for the "duel" unit setup. It's double the cost to get the work done none the less. No need for a pic smarty.......

.I think I'll start charging Junior rent to continue to live with us while he finishes school. I can apply the revenue stream towards a blower and the corresponding reduction in cash flow will make a header purchase on his end out of reach.............
Old 06-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Z......the 01's had a convoluted set up with what appears to be two throttle bodies attached to each other. There's a reference to it on this site.but if I don't recall the reason for the "duel" unit setup. It's double the cost to get the work done none the less. No need for a pic smarty.......
Ohhhh! You are talking about the TCS #9 on the link below:
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...le-body-2-scat

I thought you had some kind of 'custom' mind blowing duel throttle body Intake manifold, or something. My bad. Yeah, get that bad boy ported, the J32 loves to breath;

.I think I'll start charging Junior rent to continue to live with us while he finishes school. I can apply the revenue stream towards a blower and the corresponding reduction in cash flow will make a header purchase on his end out of reach.............
lol, That will work, too!

Last edited by zeta; 06-10-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:36 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Didn't read all of the convo, but the second TB is for VSA to cut off intake air when the traction control says so. Ancient tech now that all cars have drive by wire.

Kind of just speculation, but I doubt boring the stock TB will make noticeable gains. The J loves to breathe, but I just don't see more than a couple ponies from a stock TB bore. Maybe some increased throttle response, but it would be minimal.
Oakroadsteve (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 02:37 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
He and I both also have Detroit Iron in our driveway and my 06 Vette that when stock has spanked his modded 06 GTO. I'm tiring of hearing what he's going to do to my CL when he get headers.
If any car in the family is gonna get any more mod money its gonna be my gto when I finally snag a cts-v SC for it. My CL-S6 is just a fun daily..
Old 06-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Racer

If any car in the family is gonna get any more mod money its gonna be my gto when I finally snag a cts-v SC for it. My CL-S6 is just a fun daily..
So what you're saying is even though your the son and I'm the dad and essentially pay for everything you feel it's only fair that you're the boss from here on in.....
Old 06-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

So what you're saying is even though your the son and I'm the dad and essentially pay for everything you feel it's only fair that you're the boss from here on in.....

There is one on car-part.com from an '08 CTS; COMPLETE SUPERCHARGER W INNER COOLER; stock#10068;American Dismantlers USA-MI(Detroit)1-800-928-8690; $900.

Not sure if it is compatible with your '06 GTO or worth a 'roll of the dice'. I do know of a reasonable rebuilder though.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Haha thanks zeta, but there are a couple of guys out there who make complete plug and play kits for the pontiacs.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Haha thanks zeta, but there are a couple of guys out there who make complete plug and play kits for the pontiacs.
Like this one?

Edelbrock 15420 E-Force Universal Supercharger System, Chevy/Pontiac | eBay
Old 06-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Nowadays a lot of LS guys have been using kits set to adapt the stock Cadillac CTS-V blowers to other LS cars. This is the kit I've been eyeing https://boostdistrict.com/products/2...upecharger-kit
Old 06-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Nowadays a lot of LS guys have been using kits set to adapt the stock Cadillac CTS-V blowers to other LS cars. This is the kit I've been eyeing https://boostdistrict.com/products/2...upecharger-kit
That is alot more reasonable, price wise. So, if you DIY the install, invest, what, about $2K? for dyno time/tune, you would be at 500/550 HP and able to run with the CTS-V's?
Old 06-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Advanced

With a cam the LS2 cars have shown so far to push a little over 600 to the wheels on a stock block, tuning locally is around $600 so overall investment isn't too bad for what you get out of it.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

With a cam the LS2 cars have shown so far to push a little over 600 to the wheels on a stock block, tuning locally is around $600 so overall investment isn't too bad for what you get out of it.

Nice! So when you speak about a 'tune' for you LS2 guys, is that some kind of reflash of the existing ECU? Which, in-turn, explains why the dyno time/tune is lower in cost?

So last night I was on the highway and ended up running my 03 CL against a friend in his car.
Also I've been meaning to ask you from the beginning, did you win the race the night your CLS6 clutch failed, and what kind of car were you racing against?
Old 06-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Advanced

Yes the stock GM ECU is very tunable so most keep it. And haha yes I was winning up until I couldn't shift anymore, it was a newer civic si
zeta (06-13-2017)