An intake question...Why should we share or seperate a vacuum & coolant line hose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 01:42 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An intake question...Why should we share or seperate a vacuum & coolant line hose?

This is a 2002 TLS engine bay.

What we are looking at is the vacuum line that goes from the main intake hose to what looks like the side of the oil cap. This is a metallic pipe that gets real hot since the coolant runs through the smaller side, whereas air travels through the bigger side.

What I want to know is why does aftermarket intakes (example: Injen) feel that it's better to seperate the coolant & vaccum lines, whereas the original engineers think it's better to share them?

If it does matter...Which logic is true? Did the OEM engineers want to heat up the vacuum line? Or did they want to cool down the coolant? Or both?!

Reason why I ask is that I've seen some installs that re-use the shared line, whereas my installs have always been seperate. Can some of the more experienced guys shed light on this? Would it make any slight difference if a non-aftermarket intake owner split the lines themselves?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice color on the plastic inside...looks great.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
edgalang,

I have an Inken Intake and the lines are seperated.
First, the llines that you are refereing to are:
1) PCV line, or Positive Crank Vantilation line which recirculate hot gases from crank. It is an emision control device.
2) The throtle body coolant line which is used to heat up the throtle body to same temp of the coolant normally 185F.

I believe the lines were tided together for a neater look in the engine bay. If there was "heat exchange" intention for the designer, he would have the PVC line being "inside" (coaxially) the coolant line.

Nashua.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
edgalang,

I have an Inken Intake and the lines are seperated.
First, the llines that you are refereing to are:
1) PCV line, or Positive Crank Vantilation line which recirculate hot gases from crank. It is an emision control device.
2) The throtle body coolant line which is used to heat up the throtle body to same temp of the coolant normally 185F.

I believe the lines were tided together for a neater look in the engine bay. If there was "heat exchange" intention for the designer, he would have the PVC line being "inside" (coaxially) the coolant line.

Nashua.
Thanks Nashua...so the double line is only for aesthetics? Good to know. Now I can continue with my install knowing not to question the seperated lines.