Old 03-28-2017, 01:37 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's my time...

01 Type-S

273k+ miles

same old story just got the flashing D5 P1750 code and P0740 right before that

Gonna swap fuid and check solenoids as last ditch effort tomorrow morning

Shifting is awful...knew it would come some time, just like that...KBB trade in is $776 lol. and thats for a working car. I don't think putting any money into a tranny swap is worth it....thoughts?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Change those preasure switches

I changed my pressure switches in my 00 tl 5at every 40k...i would notice shifts getting harsher, change them and go for a drive and prepare to be surprised. Pressure switches tell the at at what preasures to shift.and they drift out of spec and wont throw codes (until one fails and ull get a flaahing d5.) I still recommend a 3x3 and tranny filter change but before cleaning solenoids. ...the two switches are like 25 bucka each on amazon.

heres pics of two old ones (tl.has 225k going strong still) A ten min install btw.....there should be more threads on this. The 2nd and 3rd pressure switches u need. The part number for one of these is photoed on the box...good luck with ur 5at.....my buddy drives mine now and im a cls6mt guy now
The following users liked this post:
CL-S24 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:25 PM
M90booosted

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
shove AV6 trans in and keep going for 100k+ miles.
TacoBello (03-30-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Instructor

No dont do that thats still +-$600 if you do the labor.....spend the 50 and do the pressure switches. Ive seen this fix the d5 and hard shifts on multiple tls. And if that doesnt work for some reason scrap the AT TL and so like us and find a cls6. ...different animal and its reliable not to mention sexy lookin IMO

CL-S24 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jonathan Hill
I changed my pressure switches in my 00 tl 5at every 40k...i would notice shifts getting harsher, change them and go for a drive and prepare to be surprised. Pressure switches tell the at at what preasures to shift.and they drift out of spec and wont throw codes (until one fails and ull get a flaahing d5.) I still recommend a 3x3 and tranny filter change but before cleaning solenoids. ...the two switches are like 25 bucka each on amazon.

heres pics of two old ones (tl.has 225k going strong still) A ten min install btw.....there should be more threads on this. The 2nd and 3rd pressure switches u need. The part number for one of these is photoed on the box...good luck with ur 5at.....my buddy drives mine now and im a cls6mt guy now
History, if it helps. About 2000 miles ago I did the spark plugs and one drain and fill. I had also added Lubegard Dr. Tranny shudder fix. I had done 2 drain and fills before that in the past 6k miles because the fluid was all messed up. Had also checked the solenoids around 6k miles ago and they were all clear.

So Monday I went ahead and ordered the pressure switches. might as well.

Did 2 drain and fills on tuesday. test drives were MUCH better. Fluid wasn't burnt, but again, might as well. Then I checked the solenoids. top one had the middle screen plugged up about 85%. the single solenoid (facing front) was also plugged up around 90%. Crazy this all happened in the last 6k.

Pressure switches came yesterday, swapped both of those out. Made it to work today with no issues. Still going to keep an eye out and just have my tools in the trunk.

Sorry for bad grammar and punctuation. I'm just excited. I figured it was totaled. KBB trade in value was $776 (for a working one) lol

Last edited by CL-S24; 03-30-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Awesome that its shiftimg smoothly again. As preventative maintenance I chanhe pressure switxhes every 35k and do a 1x drain and fill and i notice an improvement every time.....with such a bad history of failures for thes ATs I think people are too quick to replace a tranny that could otherwise be fixed/maintained better. Im surprised theres not more info out on the pressure switches.....IMO that is the main cause.of the failures. ....them driftimg out of spec.....that d5 light quit flashing once u swapped the switches right???
Old 03-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Awesome that its shiftimg smoothly again. As preventative maintenance I chanhe pressure switxhes every 35k and do a 1x drain and fill and i notice an improvement every time.....with such a bad history of failures for thes ATs I think people are too quick to replace a tranny that could otherwise be fixed/maintained better. Im surprised theres not more info out on the pressure switches.....IMO that is the main cause.of the failures. ....them driftimg out of spec.....that d5 light quit flashing once u swapped the switches right???
Old 03-30-2017, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Monday - Flashing. Code. Then ordered the switches.

Tuesday - Worked from home, got anxious and did the two drains. No more flashing

Wednesday - Worked from home again and checked the solenoids and changed the switches. Such a relief
Old 04-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Update

So after a few days, symptoms came back... Probably less than 100 miles. No codes, but same issues starting up. Drained again. Checked solenoids and the middle one was 97%clogged again. With so little miles, and it getting backed up so fast, I don't know what to do now... Taking out and cleaning the solenoid screens every week is gonna suck. I'm gonna have to keep checking them for the time being though.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Instructor

That may be ur best option

You fixed the pressure switches which were shot judging by the flashing d5 that went away......when the pressure switches go.....the trans is no longer shifting correctly and will tear itself up (it wears out the 2nd and 3rd clutch packs iirc).....if u werent experiencing clutch slippage yet, you may be in luck and have caught it just in time. The sh*t getting clogged is clutch material Id bet and it will keep clogging those screens until you finally get it all out....if you get it all out, I think youll be good since it shifts fine until the screen clogs.....just hope for your sake its not all gummed up from the tranny shudder fix you mentioned using prior......ive never heard anything good about adding anything like that to an Acura or a honda AT.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You fixed the pressure switches which were shot judging by the flashing d5 that went away......when the pressure switches go.....the trans is no longer shifting correctly and will tear itself up (it wears out the 2nd and 3rd clutch packs iirc).....if u werent experiencing clutch slippage yet, you may be in luck and have caught it just in time. The sh*t getting clogged is clutch material Id bet and it will keep clogging those screens until you finally get it all out....if you get it all out, I think youll be good since it shifts fine until the screen clogs.....just hope for your sake its not all gummed up from the tranny shudder fix you mentioned using prior......ive never heard anything good about adding anything like that to an Acura or a honda AT.
Joining in on this discussion. I kept thinking about what your said about the how the transmission will tear itslef up. I ordered these switches and they come in on the 13th. Should I park the car until then? Don't wanna cause anymore damage than what already might be done.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Unless your car is really jerking on shifts or if the trans fluid doesnt look red.....I would keep driving. Once you swap the switches and go for a drive YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE in smoothness.....I thought my tranny was toast at 183k on my 00 TL last year......its no longer my car....gave it to a buddy....but he just rolled 230k
Old 04-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the insight, it's not that bad and I did the fluid and external filter not too long, plus the cleaning the screens. Can't wait for the switches to come in, I'm pretty hype to see the difference. I'll post an update when I swap them out in the coming week.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:32 PM
M90booosted

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
that changing pressure switches is a waste of money IMO. everybody knows these transmissions are garbage. stick the accord trans in it and keep moving. they fixed the problem in that model. rebuilding the cl/tl trans is a waste of money and a ticking time bomb no matter who does it and what parts.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Intermediate

Pressure switches came in today and took me 5 minutes to replace both, super easy job. Took out for a drive noticed an instant difference. The car picked up way better, transmission stopped slipping 3rd-4th. and shifts are very smooth. This being my first car and a high school student I don't have much money to put into the car and glad this worked. 183k+ miles going strong. I'll post an update after a few days of driving.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:52 AM
Instructor

I agree that rebuilding this trans is a waste of money but why not try a quick fix like pressure switches? Worked for this user above and for myself (and has proved to be more than a bandaid). I honestly believe that if these switches were listed to be changed every 25k that the 2nd gen auto trans wouldnt have failed like they did..... that being said IF the 2nd gen trans does finally fail definately go with the accord tranny like mentioned but just some harsh shifting doesnt warrant the cost of that swap IMO.....i would put a 6 speed in anyways if I had an auto that failed. Those are cheap enough now.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Definitely would never rebuild...

Still cleaning the screens every other drive and cleaning crap out. Tip for people who are cleaning the screens like me, I have a magnetic pick up tool that's real skinny, and I stick that into the three solenoid "ports" when I take the screens out for cleaning. Ended up taking a nice big wad of material out. Should help speed up the cleaning process instead of waiting for that wad to break down and get caught in the screens.

Drives completely fine for 90-ish miles then starts acting up and i drive something else til I clean it out. Will do another test drive to my hockey game tonight.

Anyways, question for people that have used car-part .com and bought the AV6 tranny to swap (I'm not there yet, just prepping myself if that's the case)...

I've never done it and I'm guessing each yard is different. With the listed price, does that include them taking out the tranny for you, or is that an additional cost on top of their listed price? I know I should call each of them, but I'd rather know ahead of time rather than them upselling me on a removal fee. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:57 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
they would pull the trans out of the AV6 or it is likely sitting inside on a shelf waiting for sale.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Instructor

what gnuts said

he beat me to the reply. check ebay. LKQ has them already pulled on shelves all across the US.....try ebay and find one close by so you dont pay shipping....or ive seen some shipped go for 700$ i have a spare j32a1 hooked to a 5AT from a 02 cl base model. im in FL and 250$ would buy the tranny.....BUT its another 2nd gen not an AV6......i just found a guy in FL selling an 03 cls 6speed tranny for 500obo......if i wasnt already driving a six I would jump on that 6mt.......OH AND remember theres a core charge for ur broken tranny oftentimes

Last edited by Jonathan Hill; 04-21-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Intermediate

So it's been about a month, and I can say that overall I feel more comfortable with the car, shifting has improved way better than before. I did experience a slippage of 3rd very rarely nothing compared to before, but nothing the sport shift couldn't handle. Honestly it was worth the $50 total. Soon enough I'll get around to checking the screens.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks for the update!
Keep doing regular DW-1 ATF drain-and-fills.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Update from me: AV6 transmission in now and I've put on about 150 miles this weekend. Still nervous driving it because I know what hell it was driving with 3rd slipping and its in the back of my mind. Was a long couple months.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=CL-S24;16041369]Update from me: AV6 transmission in now and I've put on about 150 miles this weekend. Still nervous driving it because I know what hell it was driving with 3rd slipping and its in the back of my mind. Was a long couple

good job going with the AV6. good decision. what year is it from.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=Jonathan Hill;16041378]
Originally Posted by CL-S24
Update from me: AV6 transmission in now and I've put on about 150 miles this weekend. Still nervous driving it because I know what hell it was driving with 3rd slipping and its in the back of my mind. Was a long couple

good job going with the AV6. good decision. what year is it from.
2007. got it on car part. and shipped to the shop. Wish it was as simple as those pressure switches you recommended. I'll definitely keep that in the schedule from now on. Thanks man!