I Was Just Thinking...About Supercharging Our Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 07:07 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Was Just Thinking...About Supercharging Our Engines

Hey guys, believe me, I'm no mechanic, but I was just thinking...Wouldn't it be better to have a cast iron engine and lower compression ratio for supercharging. Don't you think the "high pressures and stress" would eventually cause damage to the aluminumn block?
Old 09-23-2002, 07:35 AM
Suzuka Master

For an optimal blower set up the CR could be lower. So we just have to make due with less boost. As for the iron block issue, yes they are stronger but not necessary with the modest power levels we could be expecting with the SC.

But regardless of construction material, by increasing the HP we we will be decreasing the life span of the engine. There is no way around that. How much you get out of it will depend on maintenance.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S/C Effects

If longevity is a concern, there are a few things you can do to enhance engine life.

(1) Get thicker head gaskets (might reduce your compression half-a-point)
(2) Make sure your timing is adjusted correctly (excluding what the knock-sensor might do) to prevent detonation
(3) Check your fuel-lines ever so often for leaks, cracks, etc.
(4) Check your plugs ever so often for signs of a lean mixture or detonation
(5) Use synthetic oil and change every 3000 miles instead of the recommended 5000
(6) Check for signs of excessive blow-by - one of the first signs on our high-revving, high-comp motors of rings giving way
(7) Be prepared for a rebuild of the motor if something nasty happens (the good thing is now you can build it properly and make > 400hp!)
Old 09-23-2002, 10:54 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Hmmmmmmmmmm, The dealer could tell you to take your warranty and shove it up your ass along with the SC.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Pappy
Hmmmmmmmmmm, The dealer could tell you to take your warranty and shove it up your ass along with the SC.
They certainly could on the powertrain portion only, and I would expect them to. By adding a blower I am taking the powertrain portion of the vehicle into my hands...
Old 09-23-2002, 12:12 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

I don't know if it's worth the risk, but I guess some people do.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea, there are several variables to determine if the risk is acceptable. The first thing that should be looked at is the financial impact; can you pay for it if something fails?? The next would be down time and personal competency level in potentially doing the work yourself.

But one thing that does need to be looked at is the potential for failure. Many people state they would rather wait for their warranty to run out which I disagree with if the intention is to do a major mod. A good kit will be made so that issues are minimized hardly impacting the durability of the engine. Why then wait when the likely hood of failure is minimal even though you would have to pay for it after the warranty. Just do it if the means are in place and enjoy the power longer...
Old 09-23-2002, 12:39 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by scalbert
Yea, there are several variables to determine if the risk is acceptable. The first thing that should be looked at is the financial impact; can you pay for it if something fails?? The next would be down time and personal competency level in potentially doing the work yourself.

But one thing that does need to be looked at is the potential for failure. Many people state they would rather wait for their warranty to run out which I disagree with if the intention is to do a major mod. A good kit will be made so that issues are minimized hardly impacting the durability of the engine. Why then wait when the likely hood of failure is minimal even though you would have to pay for it after the warranty. Just do it if the means are in place and enjoy the power longer...
I might cost you a little more, but there are many Acura dealers around who are installing CompTech products. You might ask the dealer that since he is doing the install, would he stand by you from a warranty standpoint? If the answer is no, and you don't own a money tree, then forget it. If the answer is yes...get it in writing first.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:32 PM
Subie Dubie

I might cost you a little more, but there are many Acura dealers around who are installing CompTech products. You might ask the dealer that since he is doing the install, would he stand by you from a warranty standpoint? If the answer is no, and you don't own a money tree, then forget it. If the answer is yes...get it in writing first.
I agree wth you 100% Also, as soon as you see a new CL or TL with a SC on it at your dealer on the sales floor, you'll know you're in good shape.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

There are several NSX's with the Comptech S/C over at multiple dealers (used, new, whatever)... try to establish a good relationship with the service manager first!!
Old 09-23-2002, 08:21 PM
Pro

Re: I Was Just Thinking...About Supercharging Our Engines

Hey guys, believe me, I'm no mechanic, but I was just thinking...Wouldn't it be better to have a cast iron engine and lower compression ratio for supercharging. Don't you think the "high pressures and stress" would eventually cause damage to the aluminumn block?
I was thinking about that the other day. I bought a 2000 Chevy Silverado (new), and put on a supercharger with 5 PSI boost (same roots setup that comptech is selling) 2 years ago.

I was wondering about how long the engine and tranny would last, but then I thought about it.

Realistically, even though the engine is under boost every time you're accelerating, you're not really hurting it that much. Consider that the HP output from the engine = it's usefull life. The CL-S is designed to handle 260 HP from the crank. Adding the blower is increasing the HP, but decreasing the life. But, there is a catch:

You're not going to drive around with your foot mashed in to the floor boards to get that 350HP, or whatever the engine now produces. You'll probably accelerate harder (I know I do with the truck), but to a point equal to or below the stock HP level. So you're really not degrading the life that much. If you're racing it everyday, well, that's another ball of wax. Sure the first week or two you will, and everytime you see that cocky driver next to you, but 99% of the time, you'll not be really exceeding the OEM HP level of the engine. If you want to help the life, throw in synthetic oil.

BTW: The sound of the roots blower screaming like a wild banshe (sp?) is worth it!

Old 09-24-2002, 09:22 PM
Subie Dubie

Re: Re: I Was Just Thinking...About Supercharging Our Engines

Originally posted by Wires
I was thinking about that the other day. I bought a 2000 Chevy Silverado (new), and put on a supercharger with 5 PSI boost (same roots setup that comptech is selling) 2 years ago.

I was wondering about how long the engine and tranny would last, but then I thought about it.

Realistically, even though the engine is under boost every time you're accelerating, you're not really hurting it that much. Consider that the HP output from the engine = it's usefull life. The CL-S is designed to handle 260 HP from the crank. Adding the blower is increasing the HP, but decreasing the life. But, there is a catch:

You're not going to drive around with your foot mashed in to the floor boards to get that 350HP, or whatever the engine now produces. You'll probably accelerate harder (I know I do with the truck), but to a point equal to or below the stock HP level. So you're really not degrading the life that much. If you're racing it everyday, well, that's another ball of wax. Sure the first week or two you will, and everytime you see that cocky driver next to you, but 99% of the time, you'll not be really exceeding the OEM HP level of the engine. If you want to help the life, throw in synthetic oil.

BTW: The sound of the roots blower screaming like a wild banshe (sp?) is worth it!

I've got chills