how many people turn off the a/c before shutting off the car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how many people turn off the a/c before shutting off the car?

i was taught to always turn off the a/c before turning off the car. it suppose to put less wear on the a/c. is this a myth or fact?

sidemarker
Old 10-20-2002, 07:02 PM
It's Go-Time.

I shut mine off all the time before shutting er' down...and startin' er' up.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say it does not matter..
Old 10-20-2002, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

i shut it down and lower the volume
Old 10-20-2002, 07:15 PM
The Quite One

I never shut the A/C off.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Always shut it off and turn radio volume down.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont turn the ac off, kinda defeats the purpose of my remote start if the car is not climate controlled. I have seen nothing bad as a result of this
Old 10-20-2002, 08:11 PM

I always shut it off.

Another thing about me, I hardly EVER use the A/C, even when it's hot as shiat.

If my girl is in the car I kinda have to, cuz she bitches about it. But if it's just me, I will NEVER use it.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont use mine in the summer unless someone is in the car with me but I cant stand the cold so u best believe its been working lately
Old 10-20-2002, 08:36 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i used to hear that in india all the time. I don't think it makes a difference with out cars because of the bigger engines in this country.

and in answer to your question....no i dont turn anything off.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:54 PM
Still trolling

Why would shutting the AC off before you shut off the car matter? Since the AC is a compressor with a clutch on the pulley, it is set not to engage during cranking anyway. There are key things that are disabled during the starting of a car. Usually the radio, most accessories, and...the AC.

The pulley on the AC compressor doesn't engage untill the car is running. And when you turn off the car, the clutch disengages almost imediately.

Your AC compressor clutch spends it's entire life engaging and disengaging. Do you think stating and stopping the car have any effect?

There used to be a rumor that you shouldn't turn on the AC at high speeds, only at idle. Again, this has no bearing since teh AC engages and disengages all the time.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:10 PM
///M POWER

i turn it off
Old 10-20-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro

Originally posted by GOT PSI?
I shut mine off all the time before shutting er' down...and startin' er' up.
Same here.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Think "FULL AUTO" mode, it's there for a reason
Old 10-20-2002, 09:26 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
I never turn it off. My car is leased for the duration of my warranty so I guess I don't give a shit.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:35 PM
Racer

I leave everything on all the time Even the headlights most of the time!
Old 10-20-2002, 09:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by fender4

Mine's always on. All I do is adjust the temp up or down to suit.

Shawn S
Old 10-20-2002, 09:39 PM
Advanced

If I won't start the car again for many hours, I leave many things off, including A/C, stereo, and headlights. Even though you say that these accessories are not turned on while starting the engine, they ARE turned on while your engine and the car is warming up. And I rather not put any more stress on the engine while it's starting up. But that's because I love my car and engine and not because I think the wear and tear on the engine would be greatly reduced. I can't even speculate how much wear and tear would be if the engine has to power all of those accessories during warm-up.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:44 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Originally posted by showgunz
If I won't start the car again for many hours, I leave many things off, including A/C, stereo, and headlights. Even though you say that these accessories are not turned on while starting the engine, they ARE turned on while your engine and the car is warming up. And I rather not put any more stress on the engine while it's starting up. But that's because I love my car and engine and not because I think the wear and tear on the engine would be greatly reduced. I can't even speculate how much wear and tear would be if the engine has to power all of those accessories during warm-up.
You are crazy... The CLS is a not a tin car nor a kit car...

You paid $32k for it use the damn thing... it wears down like any machine... than you buy the 2005-6 edition....

It is not a collectible nor a classic....
Old 10-20-2002, 09:48 PM
Pro

I turn off stereo and A/C in order to minimize the load for the alternator and starter.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:04 PM
V6 & V12 Owner

I never use A/C. Even when its hot here in Tucson (Its hot everyday here) I don't use a/c. You are supposed to turn the A/C off before you shut your car off because it putts strain on your Compressor.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:24 PM
Safety Car

lights off, A/C off, volume down, roof closed and windows up. Turn off the car and I lock with the remote as I walk away and watch the stupid lights blink because there is no beep.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:27 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by BigPimp
lights off, A/C off, volume down, roof closed and windows up. Turn off the car and I lock with the remote as I walk away and watch the stupid lights blink because there is no beep.
mine beeps...just hit it twice?
Old 10-20-2002, 11:31 PM
Still trolling

You can turn the beeps on and off with the remote (at least on my 99 3.0). HOld the trunk release and lock buttons down until the led on the remote flashes. That toggles the beeps on and off.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Racer

i hardly use my ac! im being cheap. using AC= WASTING GAS.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:37 PM
:)

i never turn it off.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Yep I believe so..

Originally posted by 6spdmanual
I turn off stereo and A/C in order to minimize the load for the alternator and starter.
I think that is the one and primary reason to turn off the AC, and Stereo on startup. If you have problems starting your car those are the items that you should turn off, if you aren't having a problem starting the car, then there would be no reason to shut those items off.

But to answer the question, I leave the stereo and AC on when I shut down the car, unless I am having starting problems.

Also keep in mind that the stereo has an auto volume feature, if you listen to it loud, the volume will gradually increase when you turn the car on to the level it was set at before you turned the car off so its not being turned on a full volume (and this is with the stock stereo )
Old 10-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JagV12
...You are supposed to turn the A/C off before you shut your car off because it putts strain on your Compressor.
is this true?

sidemarker
Old 10-20-2002, 11:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fender4
i thought this mode is to regulate the climate control system?

sidemarker
Old 10-21-2002, 01:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
OK. Here is why turning the AC off 3 to 5 minutes before you reach your destination is beneficial. It has nothing to do with putting strain on your compressor.

Do you ever notice that wired, yaki smell when you start the car a day (or hours) after a hot and humid day (which prompted you to turn the AC on yesterday, etc)? Sometimes it happens when you have fresh air come in the car with the AC off, sometimes it does not matter.

Well, that smell is there bacuause:

When you turn the AC on, among other things, humidity (water) accumulates by your core and other parts of your AC system. You reach your destination, shutt the car off and leave it there for hours. Humidity attracts a ton of bacteria which multiply especially during hot days and nights. Next morning you go to start the car and the air passing through the core and other parts, pushes that bacteria in your car. That is what you smell.

To avoid that, I turn my AC off 3-5 minutes before I reach my destination, unless if it is 1000 degrees out. What does that do? Well, because your AC system now is not attracting water off of the atmosphere, that water evaporates. It actually evaporates faster if I go faster. So if I am coming off of the highway, 3 minutes or so will do it, if I am doing 30mph then I will leave it off 5 or 10 minutes before (again, if it wont kill me). So if there is no water/humidity around your core, etc, there is less bacteria the next day, thus, less smelly air.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:12 AM
got kUsToM?

my sis said is better for the battery? i jus listen =)
Old 10-21-2002, 05:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by beestea
I leave everything on all the time Even the headlights most of the time!
me too!!!
Old 10-21-2002, 05:41 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by gavriil
OK. Here is why turning the AC off 3 to 5 minutes before you reach your destination is beneficial. It has nothing to do with putting strain on your compressor.

Do you ever notice that wired, yaki smell when you start the car a day (or hours) after a hot and humid day (which prompted you to turn the AC on yesterday, etc)? Sometimes it happens when you have fresh air come in the car with the AC off, sometimes it does not matter.

Well, that smell is there bacuause:

When you turn the AC on, among other things, humidity (water) accumulates by your core and other parts of your AC system. You reach your destination, shutt the car off and leave it there for hours. Humidity attracts a ton of bacteria which multiply especially during hot days and nights. Next morning you go to start the car and the air passing through the core and other parts, pushes that bacteria in your car. That is what you smell.

To avoid that, I turn my AC off 3-5 minutes before I reach my destination, unless if it is 1000 degrees out. What does that do? Well, because your AC system now is not attracting water off of the atmosphere, that water evaporates. It actually evaporates faster if I go faster. So if I am coming off of the highway, 3 minutes or so will do it, if I am doing 30mph then I will leave it off 5 or 10 minutes before (again, if it wont kill me). So if there is no water/humidity around your core, etc, there is less bacteria the next day, thus, less smelly air.
Now this makes sense! I dont do this now, but I think I am going to start! thanks!!!
Old 10-21-2002, 07:50 AM
Suzuka Master

It's my understanding that if the CC is on full-auto, the AC doesn't really come on until the car thinks it needs to come on. I generally leave the CC on auto, and on hot days, I start the car and then a second or two later, the CC kicks in the fan and AC.

I believe in older cars, having the AC on when starting the car really put a strain on the starter/alternator, since it would attempt to engage immediately. I think a lot of cars are smarter now. Knowing how people tend to drive them, manufacturers are building a delayed start into the systems. It's cheaper than warranty replacements of starters, compressors, etc.

The radio does an automatic volume ramp-up when you turn it on, so as to not shock the speakers.

FWIW, I don't recall any warning in the Owner's Manual about turning off the AC. Not that that fact means anything, of course, but many times manufacturer-recommended procedures are listed in the Owner's Manual. You know, like "Keep tires properly inflated" and "change your oil regularly" and "Do not open car doors while driving".

And if you haven't guessed, I leave both on all the time unless it's nice out, then the CC goes on manual.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:18 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

I leave it in the "Full Auto" mode. Because I live in Florida, the air always stays on except for a limited amount of time in the winter when the temperature hovers around 72.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:24 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I leave my climate control system on all the time and adjust the temperature as needed.

On another related topic:

Does anyone know if the A/C compressor cycles when the car is warming (on the full auto mode)? Are we being warmed with dehumdified A/C air, or just warmed outside air? I've been wondering this since the outside temp dropped recently and even though the car is being warmed I could swear I that I feel the A/C cycling on every now and then.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

I leave it on. In fact I haven't turned it off very much in the year I've had it.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Not true all the time. Most of the time putting your windows down (especially at high speed) uses just as much in gas as the AC and sometimes more. Think of all the wind resistance you are building up with the windows down As for turning the air off, i never do and have never had a problem. My dad always told me to turn it off and does in his car which is really annoying

Originally posted by o snap its eric
i hardly use my ac! im being cheap. using AC= WASTING GAS.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:02 AM
fuh-Q

i always turn everything off, never really had a reason just habit i guess!
Old 10-21-2002, 09:51 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by 1StGenCL
...Most of the time putting your windows down (especially at high speed) uses just as much in gas as the AC and sometimes more. Think of all the wind resistance you are building up with the windows down...

I usually keep the air on, especially at high speeds.

Quick Reply: how many people turn off the a/c before shutting off the car?