Hard Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Caffenine Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Clutch

This is confusing me. I recently started to notice this. I first noticed it when I was getting on the car through first and second. After that I pressed the clutch in and it was harder then normal. Seemed like there was more pressure needed to get the clutch to the floor.

Didnt really think to much about it until it happened again. Then I found out if I give it anymore then about 50% throttle the clutch gets harder then normal. Does anyone have an idea of why it would do this?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 AM
6spder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
possibly sticky release bearing is what i'm thinkin
Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 AM
07 ASM TL

Clutch dampening. I think it is normal. It's like "sports mode". I think it happens when VTEC kicks in (4700 rpm 6 Speed).

It goes away after a min or two.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Banned

^sick, didnt even know that
Old 12-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weaselbob74
Clutch dampening. I think it is normal. It's like "sports mode". I think it happens when VTEC kicks in (4700 rpm 6 Speed).

Um, don't think so.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Keeping the Stealth alive

Get an auto. Problem fixed.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnBlayz142
Get an auto. Problem fixed.
Fixed, lol.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:27 AM
07 ASM TL

Originally Posted by Starter
Um, don't think so.
What do you mean you don't think so? Do you have a 6 speed? Doesn't your clutch get really tight after you get on it?
Old 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

What do you mean you don't think so? Do you have a 6 speed? Doesn't your clutch get really tight after you get on it?
Yes, I have one. No, it never gets hard. The clutch is not "boosted" in any way. It is a hydraulic actuated clutch. There is no reason for a normal clutch to feel any different at 7K rpms than at 2K.

If that is what is actually happening, then there is something wrong. Could be the throw out bearing or, perhaps, low fluid.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where exactly did you get this info?

Do you have a 6 speed? Doesn't your clutch get really tight after you get on it?
I have a 6spd and this never happens

Starter is correct the OP should get this checked out, cause it isn't normal
Old 12-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

haha was wondering why i never experienced it before
Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM
6spder

Originally Posted by Starter
If that is what is actually happening, then there is something wrong. Could be the throw out bearing or, perhaps, low fluid.
which brings me back to my first post
Old 12-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Caffenine Addict

How could a throwout bearing affect the clutch feel? Its only after a quick sprint and it only last about 10 seconds then its back to normal. I believe the fluid is fine, ill double check tho.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Caffenine Addict

any other suggestions on what could do this? slave cylinder?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM
3.2 VTEC

Look, i too thought the hydraulics in the clutch had nothing to do with the engine itself...i mean u can normally press the clutch when the engine is off so that makes sence.

but, in my 06 tl, if u're sittin in neutral and rev the engine, it does the same thing the power steering does, they get lighter/easier to press...i don't even know why

let's say, put it in neutral, then press the clutch about half way...then rev the engine significantly (limiter), and your clutch will sink by itself because the pressure required to press it decreases somehow.

not imagining this, i think it might have something to do with that clutch system the tl has of where if you drop the clutch too fast, it won't just drop but rather it will smoothen out the engagung to prevent damage to the drivetrain from a jolt of a dropped clutch.

now, mine gets lighter with revs, like power steering, but why yours gets harder is something even more confusing, on top of that.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by vincethe1
Look, i too thought the hydraulics in the clutch had nothing to do with the engine itself...i mean u can normally press the clutch when the engine is off so that makes sence.

but, in my 06 tl, if u're sittin in neutral and rev the engine, it does the same thing the power steering does, they get lighter/easier to press...i don't even know why

let's say, put it in neutral, then press the clutch about half way...then rev the engine significantly (limiter), and your clutch will sink by itself because the pressure required to press it decreases somehow.

not imagining this, i think it might have something to do with that clutch system the tl has of where if you drop the clutch too fast, it won't just drop but rather it will smoothen out the engagung to prevent damage to the drivetrain from a jolt of a dropped clutch.

now, mine gets light with revs, like power steering, but why yours gets harder is something even more confusing, on top of that.
Dont know the differences in the clutch between the TL and the CL but the CL is a closed hydraulic system that has no bearing on RPM or throttle. We also dont have drive by wire throttle like the 3rd gen TL.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Caffenine Addict

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Dont know the differences in the clutch between the TL and the CL but the CL is a closed hydraulic system that has no bearing on RPM or throttle. We also dont have drive by wire throttle like the 3rd gen TL.
So any suggestions on what could cause this? Its actually getting very annoying..
Old 12-22-2007, 09:56 AM
6spder

i still think you have sticky throw out bearing, or a weak pressure plate, or a combo of both. just my

edit: also /\/\ engine speed does play into effect b/c the clutch assembly is spinning. so there is rotational force, its possible that b/c of something else (like the bearing or pressure plate) it feels different when its spinning faster.

maybe its time to take it a reputable shop and have them look at it.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:12 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i dunno.. when i first got my car (used)

the friction point was (and still is) around the midway point of the clutch pedal travel. whenever i got on the car (WOT), the friction point dropped to about 1cm from the floor, and was pretty stiff. and when i started driving normally, it would go back to the midway of the travel..

i thought it was normal.. my car still does this.. i find it very useful because i can drive sedately in normal traffic but when i'm getting on the car, the clutch goes more 'sporty'
Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 AM
MP90 uninstalled

I have a 6 also and that is not normal. It is a clsoed loop system on the CL.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM
07 ASM TL

Originally Posted by rp_guy
i dunno.. when i first got my car (used)

the friction point was (and still is) around the midway point of the clutch pedal travel. whenever i got on the car (WOT), the friction point dropped to about 1cm from the floor, and was pretty stiff. and when i started driving normally, it would go back to the midway of the travel..

i thought it was normal.. my car still does this.. i find it very useful because i can drive sedately in normal traffic but when i'm getting on the car, the clutch goes more 'sporty'
Yea I like how it gets stiff when I get on it.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
03 CL-S MT

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Its Funny You Mention This Because I Own A 2003 Cltype S And It Does The Same Thing. It Gets Hard When Im Running It Hard And I To This Day Have No Idea What It Is. Ive Had All The Fluids Checked And Replaced But It Doesnt Always Do It. Im Guessing It Has To Do With The Pressure Plate And Clutch. I Guess The Only Way To Find Out Is To Take Him To The Mechanic To Get A Check Up.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

Just to add my 2 cents, I also have a 2003 Type-S with a MT, with the exact same situation. When I rev high enough that VTEC kicks in, then the next few times I shift, the clutch is slightly stiffer and the release point for the clutch is way sooner than normal.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Caffenine Addict

glad to see im not the only one with this "feature"
Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine is soft like shit.... offtopic question: when shops bleed the clutch with the machines does it create pressure? i mean i bleed my system and no air.... but its still soft as shit to me...
Old 01-08-2008, 02:23 AM
6th Gear

I have the same issue. Never really thought much of it. Just pumped the clutch pedal a few times; then its gone.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Advanced

Bump - any update on this? How is your clutch doing now (a year later)? I have had my car now for over 5 years. In the last 3 or so months my clutch has started doing this exact same thing.

It never did it before.

Whenever I get on the throttle hard, pulling all the way to 7K RPM, for about 10 - 15 seconds after, or about 2 or 3 clutch depressings, I notice this behavior. The harder I get on the throttle/accelerate, the easier it is to reproduce. Right after I accelerate hard, when I depress the clutch to disengage the engine to shift to the next gear, the clutch feels sticky like, and it seems like I have to press it just a tad farther to the floor (than normal) to get it to completely disengage.

Clutch fluid is seems to be fine - I checked it. There does not seem to be any clutch slippage or anything like that... Clutch seems to function fine other than this.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:06 AM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My pedal definitely feels "tighter" after a hard run. I really think its normal. It only lasts for a few moments after I run the car hard thought the first couple gears. Done this since the day I bought it (jan 08). If your not expecting the "tightness," it can cause a kinda hard shift which can get annoying. It always goes right back to normal and only happens when I accelerate very hard. Its got to be normal. Seems like too many others have the same issue and never noticed anything to be wrong/broken b/c of it.

Have those that did the clutch dampener bypass notice if they had the issue prior to the bypass and now don't???
Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
it is not normal and has already been identified as a worn throw-out bearing. the friction point should be close to the floor of the car. this is not a 'feature'.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:40 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So the throw-out bearing is only effected during high rev shifts? Maybe I need to be better informed on the subject but why is it fine during normal driving? I assume the throw-out bearing is only effected during high rpms?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:17 PM
Advanced

Can anyone who has experienced this issue confirm replacing their "throw out bearing" did in fact resolve the problem?

Also, any information on how the throw out bearing would cause this? I would like to understand it better for my own knowledge.

I agree that this behavior is not normal, as my car did not use to do this. I just want to understand fully so I can talk intelligently to the dealer (if I need to take it in)...
Old 04-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Advanced

I have the exact same problem noted above guys... as far as I know I'm still on stock clutch around 70k.

Clutch engages really funny after a couple spirited shifts...

I don't think this is a possibility, as the system is entirely outside of the transmission as far as I know, but could this be related to heat (i.e. brake fade). Though I don't think the fluid would ever heat up enough for this to become an issue.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Just a quick update. I took my car into a trusted shop for inspection yesterday and mentioned this to my mechanic.

His answer makes sense to me. He believes this is the Master cylinder causing this. I probably don't have all the exact details right as we only spoke briefly. There is a rubber seal/boot inside the Master cylinder that gets worn out over time. During hard shifting, greater pressure is exerted on this rubber seal (vs. normal less aggressive driving). This causes the rubber to expand/stretch. Which is why the clutch loses pressure for the next couple of depressions, but then returns to normal after you pump the clutch a few times.

Makes sense to me... And explains why several of us are having this same issue...

My car is still under extended warranty, so I am going to have them replace the master/slave cylinders. I'll write back in once this work is complete to confirm if this truly fixes the issue.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ good diagnosis & research.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kbc5960
Just a quick update. I took my car into a trusted shop for inspection yesterday and mentioned this to my mechanic.

His answer makes sense to me. He believes this is the Master cylinder causing this. I probably don't have all the exact details right as we only spoke briefly. There is a rubber seal/boot inside the Master cylinder that gets worn out over time. During hard shifting, greater pressure is exerted on this rubber seal (vs. normal less aggressive driving). This causes the rubber to expand/stretch. Which is why the clutch loses pressure for the next couple of depressions, but then returns to normal after you pump the clutch a few times.

Makes sense to me... And explains why several of us are having this same issue...

My car is still under extended warranty, so I am going to have them replace the master/slave cylinders. I'll write back in once this work is complete to confirm if this truly fixes the issue.
how many miles do you have on your clutch and car
Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I now drive an accord....

So you mean we really don't have a "sport" mode?
Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Advanced

I have roughly 75,000 miles on my car - original clutch...
Old 04-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

I have roughly 75,000 miles on my car - original clutch...
so if my clutch is only about 30000 miles old I dont have to worry about that?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

This same exact thing just started happening to my car at 125,000 miles. Did anyone replace the master cylinder to confirm kbc5960 mechanic's theory? How much is the master cylinder anyways + repair costs?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Advanced

Just a quick update:

I finally got around to replacing the master/slave clutch cylinders myself this past weekend. My extended warranty did not cover the clutch (go figure). The price for parts was $175. I got the master and slave cylinders directly from the Acura dealership.

All is good. The project took about 3 hours, but I did not do any research ahead of time - just kind of figured it out as I went. The clutch is MUCH better, and feels very good. No more going to the floor after aggresive shifting.

Quick Reply: Hard Clutch