Goda%&#&*muthafrakin#$%&& Rotor Screws!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Goda%&#&*muthafrakin#$%&& Rotor Screws!!!!

Ok, I've been meaning to buy an impact screwdriver anyway. Guess now is the time. Sorry. Just wanted to vent. Those damn screws REALLY pissed me off tonight! Used PB Blaster and everything!! Anyway, I just wanted to vent. I've done MANY brake jobs on other cars and have NEVER had to deal with bullsh!t screws like this! SO FRAKIN STUPID!!!! I HATE YOU HONDA!!!!! whew...ok... I'm done venting. Sorry.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TRILIGHT
Ok, I've been meaning to buy an impact screwdriver anyway. Guess now is the time. Sorry. Just wanted to vent. Those damn screws REALLY pissed me off tonight! Used PB Blaster and everything!! Anyway, I just wanted to vent. I've done MANY brake jobs on other cars and have NEVER had to deal with bullsh!t screws like this! SO FRAKIN STUPID!!!! I HATE YOU HONDA!!!!! whew...ok... I'm done venting. Sorry.

Even with an impact screwdriver, on some, I had to drill out the center and then use a cold chisel and hammer to spin them out.

Good luck with them.

BTW - on the new ones, I coated them with anti-seize.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the tip! I don't plan to put ANY back in! I am unfamiliar with the term "cold chisel". How does this differ from a regular one and define "spin them out". Thanks for the info!! Anything will definitely help since I am going to attack this again tomorrow evening.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Blown is Best

Basically a metal chisel:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

After I've tried to get some screws out and the head has stripped, I've used either a chisel or center punch and placed it on the edge of the screw and tried to drive the screw counter-clockwise. The hammering on the head of the screw using a hammer and chisel is enough to loosen up the threads and corrosion enough to allow the screw to rotate.

Worked for me
Old 07-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Ah!! A picture is worth a thousand words. hehe Yeah, actually I have a whole Craftsman set of those. Just didn't know they were called "cold chisels". Thanks again for the tips!
Old 07-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
trick is to hit the screws : place a hammer with a rounded head on the screw, then with another hammer hit the other hammer like twice.

2nd step : use an impact driver

that's how we do it at the dealership and it succeeds about 99.5% of the time
average is like we break 1 screw in 2 years.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Type S Zero
trick is to hit the screws : place a hammer with a rounded head on the screw, then with another hammer hit the other hammer like twice.

2nd step : use an impact driver

that's how we do it at the dealership and it succeeds about 99.5% of the time
average is like we break 1 screw in 2 years.
Sweet! Thanks for the info! Those screws are going to pay tomorrow!!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:34 PM
2001 Acura CL-S

Yep, those things are a bitch!!

I got all but one out with an impact screwdriver and a 10 pound sledgehammer (no joke). The last one I had to chisel out... ended up taking me over 8 HOURS to change the front rotors (included 2 trips to Home Depot and an AutoZone).
Old 07-27-2006, 11:47 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
you dont even need those screws.....
Old 07-28-2006, 12:09 AM
East Coast Boost.!

just drill them out, or you could use screw extractors.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
i want to replace those screws. what is the best place to get them? dealer? online? home depot? any thoughts and is there a part #?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Type S Zero
I've dealt with screws on a 25 y/o cars before, and tapping on a stuck screw to loosen it up has always worked for me too... It's a pain in the ass when the screws are dissimiliar metals (like a steel screw into alum. or magnesium on an old aircooled vw engine case) but tapping on 'em (alot more then twice) will loosen 'em up...
Old 07-28-2006, 07:22 AM
'08 TL-S

Originally Posted by rockd
Yep, those things are a bitch!!

I got all but one out with an impact screwdriver and a 10 pound sledgehammer (no joke). The last one I had to chisel out... ended up taking me over 8 HOURS to change the front rotors (included 2 trips to Home Depot and an AutoZone).

sounds like any of my DIY projects...
Old 07-28-2006, 09:13 AM
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by o2cls
+1.

they are there to keep the rotor on the hub during production. your wheels hold the rotor onto the hub just fine once the car is assembled.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RUPNOK
sounds like any of my DIY projects...
LMAO!!!! No sh!t dude!!! For real! I am so used to the "takes an hour for the project and takes 2 for trips back and forth to the store!" I thought I was all set for this one because I have tons of tools. Nope! I really didn't even notice there were screws there at first! I didn't expect it because there shouldn't be any and there is so much rust on everything, I didn't notice them.

@m733l: Seriously dude, do not bother with putting screws back in. Absolutely 100% unnecessary for them to be there in the first place! That being said, the dealer might sell them. However, I would imagine they come in a bag with replacement rotors from Honda if at all.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Dremel a new cross shape in them, then try.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:56 PM
2001 Acura CL-S

Originally Posted by o2cls
Don't even bother getting new ones... I haven't had them since I changed the rotors.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I don't plan on replacing the screws. Totally useless! As for cutting new lines in them, I've had to do that before, Rondog. Haven't stripped anything here though. Just couldn't get them off with PB Blaster and muscle. I was going to do it tonight but got off of work too late. I'll be picking up an impact screwdriver tomorrow and trying out some of the tips here. I will post back with pics letting everyone know how things went.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Ok, welcome to "how to OWN those damn screws" brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Craftsman Impact Screwdriver...

Here is the old rotor next to the new cryo treated Powerslots...

Before...

After...

I felt compelled to post this picture since it freakin rained like 15 minutes after I got finished washing it! Damnit!! Not a cloud in the sky before! Oh well. I guess it could be worse. It could have started raining on me in the middle of the brake job.

Thanks again for the tips everyone! Turns out the Impact Screwdriver was all I needed. Banged on that a few times and it made short work of the whole thing. You might notice I put them back in when I said I wouldn't. I didn't want to but I purchased an extended warranty. I'll have a hard enough time with the aftermarket rotors. I didn't want to push my luck by leaving the screws out and giving the monkees something to complain about.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:59 PM
When u C the L type S

Had to drill mine out. Was a hassle. I didn't put any back in & i've had no problems...
Old 07-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Blown is Best

Way to go

BTW - Cryo Powerslots is a very good choice. I'd be very surprised if those warp on you.

Old 07-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Allout
Way to go

BTW - Cryo Powerslots is a very good choice. I'd be very surprised if those warp on you.
Thanks!! Should have had an impact screwdriver in the arsenel a long time ago! I read too much about people saying new rotors kept warping on them on this vehicle. I didn't want to have to mess with it again. Stopping is nice and smooth now. Haven't really put them through their paces yet as I'm being careful for a few hundred miles for proper mating. I don't race but I do tend to suffer from road rage from time to time. LOL These should keep my dumb ass out of trouble. The calipers are ugly as hell. I think I might pull them and paint them black.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:01 PM
When u C the L type S

I had painted my calipers black @ first & was just wanting a lil more so I decided to try red & i'll say I don't think you'll be disappointed in how they turn out.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Axxie01TypeS
I had painted my calipers black @ first & was just wanting a lil more so I decided to try red & i'll say I don't think you'll be disappointed in how they turn out.
Oh I know! I agree, it does look nice! I painted the calipers on my Stealth red...

I'm keeping things a little more "low key" on the CL though. I just don't like the ugly rust. I think the black on silver Powerslots would look nice.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Blown is Best

Did you do a bedding process? Here's a link to Stoptech's site on Bedding in Brakes. It includes both theory and procedure.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml
Old 07-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Allout
Did you do a bedding process? Here's a link to Stoptech's site on Bedding in Brakes. It includes both theory and procedure.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml
Not sure what this is in response to, but of course! While most processes are roughly the same, I followed and am continuing to follow the recommended procedure that accompanied the Powerslot rotors. In addition to the initial "bedding" procedure, they suggested doing only moderate braking for the first 500 miles of use. I'll try to keep my road rage in check until then.