FYI for you guys wondering about DVD versions and whether or not to buy the latest.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI for you guys wondering about DVD versions and whether or not to buy the latest.

Originally posted by edgalang

So it's verified. I finally got my REAL copy from (insert unknown member here) and I tested it out. So...we now know to look for 2 updates.

The "software version" represents the hardware BIOS. Everytime you insert a new DVD, it will automatically update the firmware to the latest bios (in this case v2.061), so if i insert an older version, no updates will take place. The latest version will remain in memory for the life of the unit. It can only go up, and never go down.

The "database version" pretty much tells you how old the maps are. This will change with every DVD (depending on their age). So...even though the latest DVD has software version 2.061, the database still remains the same as the older DVDs with BIOS v2.05.

What does all this mean? Well...when we all attend the next meet, as long as you already have database version 0750, you DONOT want a copy of the latest one (BIOS 2.061 /w database 0750). All you would have to do is ask for my DVD so I can "flash" your BIOS and you can keep using your existing DVD. Only those who have a lower database value will benefit from the latest DVD release.

So in the future, as long as the database version remains the same, all you would have to do is "borrow" the latest DVD for 5 minutes, and you too can upgrade your firmware for free.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:17 PM

Functional differences between the database and software versions.

Some of you might say...well...WTF is the point of the "software version" if all that really matters is the "database version". Well...I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but I believe the "database version" referes to how updated the maps are...while the "software version" might represent the algorithms used in calculating destination points. Ever wonder why the NAV unit sometimes tells you to go the long way? Well...update the BIOS and maybe it'll calculate a faster route!
Old 03-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
when is the next bay area meet?
Old 03-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Functional differences between the database and software versions.

Some of you might say...well...WTF is the point of the "software version" if all that really matters is the "database version". Well...I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but I believe the "database version" referes to how updated the maps are...while the "software version" might represent the algorithms used in calculating destination points. Ever wonder why the NAV unit sometimes tells you to go the long way? Well...update the BIOS and maybe it'll calculate a faster route!
Hehe, after reading your post over and over, I just wanted to clarify for those who think they might be on to something (i.e. free upgrades w/o having to pay).

Everything edgalang says is true (I've experienced the same myself) except none of us know what the benefits of the software upgrade are. If edgalang inserts his disc into your slot (and your software upgrades and your firmware stays the same), I can't possibly see what benefit that is. If you don't get new roads and new POIs (which you do get from the database version upgrade), how can the software provide better routing without a change in roads? We don't know what the new [minor] software does for you. It might make use of tolls reoad better. Or it might minimize the instance of lost previous destinations. Or it might refresh the screen faster when you change orientation. Who knows? I'm sure it corrects some bugs but I've switched back and forth and I don't notice anyting except missing roads. Or it might even be incompatible.....maybe it will cause ocassional lockups (meaning the software now looks for established icons and surprise your database has none).

I think we all want the new roads and the new database POIs. And I can tell you for a fact that they are ON the DVD. I don't care about the software...and apparently neither does Acura since the labels seem to be misprinted...sometimes.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:49 PM

Re: Re: Functional differences between the database and software versions.

Originally posted by kensteele
Hehe, after reading your post over and over, I just wanted to clarify for those who think they might be on to something (i.e. free upgrades w/o having to pay).

Everything edgalang says is true (I've experienced the same myself) except none of us know what the benefits of the software upgrade are. If edgalang inserts his disc into your slot (and your software upgrades and your firmware stays the same), I can't possibly see what benefit that is. If you don't get new roads and new POIs (which you do get from the database version upgrade), how can the software provide better routing without a change in roads? We don't know what the new [minor] software does for you. It might make use of tolls reoad better. Or it might minimize the instance of lost previous destinations. Or it might refresh the screen faster when you change orientation. Who knows? I'm sure it corrects some bugs but I've switched back and forth and I don't notice anyting except missing roads. Or it might even be incompatible.....maybe it will cause ocassional lockups (meaning the software now looks for established icons and surprise your database has none).

I think we all want the new roads and the new database POIs. And I can tell you for a fact that they are ON the DVD. I don't care about the software...and apparently neither does Acura since the labels seem to be misprinted...sometimes.
True...but you are also missing possible graphical updates and/or possible change in user interface. I know it wont mean crap if your maps are still old...but maybe the newer versions will change the colors around or something (if that's important to you...just like skins on an MP3 player).
Old 03-13-2003, 03:23 PM
Banned

I just want a new DVD.....
Old 03-13-2003, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by moomaster_99
I just want a new DVD.....
Maybe penislong/Richard can help out in this department. As long as you have a 2001 NAV unit, then it shouldn't be a problem. >;]
Old 03-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Drifting

Maybe penislong/Richard can help out in this department.
Come on bro...you don't have to tell people about the size of my penis...they all know i'm well endowed
Old 03-13-2003, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by peiqinglong
Come on bro...you don't have to tell people about the size of my penis...they all know i'm well endowed
LOL...but ya...on a serious note for those who have no clue on whats going on...post 2001 NAV units are rumored to have a less powerful laser. IF you STILL dont understand...then ignore everything we are talking about. We'll explain everything in the next car meet.