exhaust sputter after AEM intake install?>?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 05:52 PM
sabbas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation exhaust sputter after AEM intake install?>?

hey, i just recently (last week) installed my AEM cold-air intake that i got off of group buy. two days later i noticed my left exhaust pipe sputtering kind of clicking when my car idled for around 5 mins. the sound went away when i reved up the engine real good but came back after about 5 mins of idling again. My car used to be silent at all times, does anyone know what this may be? it has been pretty cold up here in jersey, does that have anything to do with it?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by sabbasmas
hey, i just recently (last week) installed my AEM cold-air intake that i got off of group buy. two days later i noticed my left exhaust pipe sputtering kind of clicking when my car idled for around 5 mins. the sound went away when i reved up the engine real good but came back after about 5 mins of idling again. My car used to be silent at all times, does anyone know what this may be? it has been pretty cold up here in jersey, does that have anything to do with it?
The intake should have no effect on the exhaust. Yes an intake will flow more air and therefore will expend more exhaust gases through the exhaust but it shouldn't cause any real difference. I'm sure you are probably fine.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

check ur mufflers..

Intake wont make a problem..
Old 12-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally Posted by sabbasmas
Shouldn't be the intake at all.

And what part of Jersey are you from....it's been pushing 50-60 all week.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:39 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,086 Posts
Just installed my AEM CAI and the exhaust sounds gooooood. I would suspect it's not from the intake, but you might just want to go back and make sure you hooked up everything correctly to the intake, ie air breater tubes, filter is held on tight with clamp, etc. If there's air getting into the intake from other than the filter it isn't a good thing, but I don't think you'd hear it in your exhaust.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:49 PM
sabbas

Thanks for your input guys. i went ahead and rechecked all the connections and they're all tight. i have no clue as to why this happens. oh well....i do love the way it sounds tho......varooom....
Old 12-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I've noticed the resonator before the axle back ticks when my engine idles.
But from all the research, the sound is normal.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Racer

I just install an AEM, man this thing sounds like a UFO until the car warms up...but is bad ass once it opens up in VTEC...
Old 12-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Ok, the UFO and Exhasut sputter can be fixed, I had both of the problems when I had my install. After many days of trying to find out the problem, I was given some weird ass advice and since i couldn't figure it out, I said what the hell, I'll try anything. It actually worked amazingly and with the forums telling me that it was impossible, I coulnd't explain it. But it did work, and thats all that mattered. Here's the solution:

1.) Turn off the radio, and all epectronic power, lights and all then shut the car down.

2.) have your navi codes and radio codes ready.

3.) unplug the red poistive terminal, you can do the negative too, but I don't think it makes a difference. Leave it disconected for 2 hours.

4.) Do this preferably at night, because you will have to reconnect and quickly take the car out for a drive. I mean DRIVE, push the car to the limit, acceleration-wise.

5.) should be a 15-20 minute drive and bring her right back and shut her down quick.

6.) the next morning you will drive her normally, and the symptoms should quickly start to go away, over the course of the day and maybe into the next.

7.) you will probably feel the car a little quicker too, thats what happened to me.

*No flames, everyone got on me about this last time with all these theories, but one thing is for sure, it worked for me and thats all that mattered.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:50 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,086 Posts
Eh, kind of makes sense since the computer will adjust to your driving style after disconnecting the power and then compensate for the air/fuel map. But I wonder if it's just the air flow coming into the filter when the idles up first starting the car? I wouldn't say mine sounds like a UFO, but more like a hiss of air being pulled in. Now the Weapon-R SRI, that sounded like a UFO, all the time.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:46 AM
Racer

Yeah, its only when I'm starting it up first thing in the morning. I really on took it out once to test the car out since putting on the AEM. I only get to drive my car like 3-4 block every 12 hours to and from work. I do get a little bit of hesitation before I hear the VRRROOOMMMMM, LMAO....Like it kicks in for literally a second, then cuts out then I get the good stuff....I have a little bit of damage on the filter, purchase it used but I was going to get the new Dry AEM filter. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanx Ron I'm going to try that out.....
Old 12-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by CLariSe-169
Eh, kind of makes sense since the computer will adjust to your driving style after disconnecting the power and then compensate for the air/fuel map. But I wonder if it's just the air flow coming into the filter when the idles up first starting the car? I wouldn't say mine sounds like a UFO, but more like a hiss of air being pulled in. Now the Weapon-R SRI, that sounded like a UFO, all the time.
Yeah, the shorter intake really sounds like a UFO, mad loud.