Does having the BUMP in the trunk grow old to you guys?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 06:00 AM
I hate the Mets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does having the BUMP in the trunk grow old to you guys?

In my last car I had spent a considerable amount of coin on making my system bump...Now with the Acura and w/ me being in my mid-20's....I do miss my bass, but I feel that its just corny to go overboard and spend serious loot on building up a new system...

Anyone else? I'm trying to make a desision as to go with something simple like a Basslink sub....Or go balls out and get a W7 or a pair of Idmaxes

I will probably go the simple route and just go w/ the Basslink
Old 08-21-2003, 06:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Does having the BUMP in the trunk grow old to you guys?

Originally posted by mc222
Anyone else? I'm trying to make a desision as to go with something simple like a Basslink sub....Or go balls out and get a W7 or a pair of Idmaxes
I'm in my 30's so I guess I'm considered "old" here

I play guitar, so I do like my music, but I find the CLS stock system to be good enough for me (I have considered adding the basslink tho').

I find that I'd rather listen to the engine, 'cause the 3.2L w/ Vtec is just so sweet.

That's just me tho'...
Old 08-21-2003, 06:08 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

I always believe that you can never have too much. I try to make sure if I wanna turn it up and it still sound good, I can. I also want to do all of this without losing too much usable space.

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pa...=262981&page=2
Old 08-21-2003, 06:10 AM
'Cooter

for me personally, i don't spend nearly enough time driving around to warrant an upgraded system...in over 3 years, i don't even have 29K on the clock, so at this point, doesn't really make sense to me

plus the more time goes by, the more nervous i get bout the tranny goin, and once it goes, i have a feeling i won't b owning the car that much longer anyway

Old 08-21-2003, 06:11 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd love to have more bass.....an option....at times i just like to sit in silence.....
Old 08-21-2003, 06:19 AM
XSESIVE

I have spent some money on the system. When I turn it on, it is loud, clean and it hits hard, but there are times when I just leave it off. I have to admit that if I was not as displeased with the Bose set up, I might have just added a sub and skipped the rest, but I do enjoy the clear highs and all. Oh and yeah I am in my early 30's, but still a kid at heart.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:55 AM
We dont love these hoes

gotta have bass!
Old 08-21-2003, 06:56 AM
Drifting

I drive a lot (29k after 1 yr)...and I love to listen to music when I do...not all the time but a lot of the time. I am in the late 20's and I used to have the loud slamin systems. I think what you need to do is go SQ and not SPL. You can replace the stock system (speakers and add a sub) and leave the HU. Just get something that dont take up a bunch of room but still will sound better than stock. Just my .02
Old 08-21-2003, 07:01 AM
Suzuka Master

I too would always have a sub in place, but no longer. I added an amp to the stock head unit and the rear speakers provide plenty of bass for me now. I will be replacing the front speakers soon with component units but leave the rears intact.

It really isn't all about the sound as this is nearly as good as I need it. In getting older I just grew tired of having a box in the trunk minimizing space (and adding weight).
Old 08-21-2003, 07:26 AM
Team Owner

My 88 Daytona Shelby-Z and 91 Legend Coupe had THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars spent on the audio systems.
I was constantly ripping them apart and adding new gear.
That’s because I owned those cars through my 20’s and was big into that scene.

Now I get by with just adding a Subwoofer Box & Amp in the trunk. I spent about a grand total on the entire audio mods to this car.
I listen to mostly 80's ROCK in the car and stuff like AC/DC & Metallica needs more then BOSE to sound acceptable to me.

I have no interest at all in doing a high end A/V system in the car like some of you guys have here.
I spend all that disposable income on my Home Theater now.

Shawn S
Old 08-21-2003, 07:30 AM
It's Always Shabbat

i'm 23, and probably feel differently about this than others.. i cant justify spending a bunch of money on my car's sound (especially when it's sufficient) as long as I'm still renting.. I'm working on saving my money so I can buy a house and build equity.. Once I have a mortgage I can deal with, I can afford to play around with my car a little bit.. I hate rent.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:37 AM
Still trolling

I was the same way, why spend money on a stereo when I drive it 5k miles a year at most. All of my interest, logiclly, shifted to home theater since that is where I spend my time.

However, I do have a new system in my car. I did so due to the overwhelming lack of bass. I listen to Jazz, Rock, Rap, R&B, etc, so full range was not being achieved and it finally got to me. SO I kept the BOSE speakers, amp, and added an aftermarket head unit, amp and subs. Plus it adds to the show qualities of the vehicle. I did the whole install myself, and all equipment, materials, etc was $800.00.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:40 AM
East Coast Boost.!

I'm young and throw all my money into my car like an idiot

Oh well
Old 08-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Stay or leave

I used to have a sick system, 2 12's (dVC kickers) and MB quartz component set, and 3 way 6x9's in the rear deck. Those were the old days when I was still in college and driving my accord. Then I sold it with everything in it, which was stupid but i didn't want the hassle of selling that stuff after, and now have a stock system. I mean I would love to upgrade and might, just the mid's and highs, no subs in the trunk. but when I drive people around from work or to lunch or something, its pretty annoying having to turn down the stereo cause the bass is too loud. Sometimes we all just grow up and i'm not saying its a kid thing to do, buy stereo equipment but its not exactly the same at when I was young. Now i would rather have clarity then bass. I really think you can get away with buying a mids an highs amp and just replacing the stock speakers in the car and be happy. Then again there are always those people who don't want to hear when they are 40 and buy these ssssiiiiccccckkk systems. (i used to be one of those people)

Now when i pull up to a stop light and i hear that bass pounding like its in my car, and i look around, i'm one of those people who is like grow up. Its just funny cause I used to be the one getting all those looks, one lady once looked at me and put her arm out the window and was like lower that shit, i couldn't help but laugh in her face pretty much and then just drove off. Although another time a cop at a red light got out of his car and gave me a sound violation or some bullshit. So you need to watch out cause there are laws again stereo's being to loud and unsafe.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:27 AM
I hate the Mets

Originally posted by Reddly9007
I used to have a sick system, 2 12's (dVC kickers) and MB quartz component set, and 3 way 6x9's in the rear deck. Those were the old days when I was still in college and driving my accord. Then I sold it with everything in it, which was stupid but i didn't want the hassle of selling that stuff after, and now have a stock system. I mean I would love to upgrade and might, just the mid's and highs, no subs in the trunk. but when I drive people around from work or to lunch or something, its pretty annoying having to turn down the stereo cause the bass is too loud. Sometimes we all just grow up and i'm not saying its a kid thing to do, buy stereo equipment but its not exactly the same at when I was young. Now i would rather have clarity then bass. I really think you can get away with buying a mids an highs amp and just replacing the stock speakers in the car and be happy. Then again there are always those people who don't want to hear when they are 40 and buy these ssssiiiiccccckkk systems. (i used to be one of those people)
Ahhh - Whenever I need to be talked out of something...I just come on here.. I think I will go the subtle route personally and possibly add some new speakers, sell my amp, and just add a Basslink
Old 08-21-2003, 09:49 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

I used to have the big bad stereos with all the bass and goodies. I guess times have changed for me. As I get older my ears get more sensetive and I just cant deal with that loud, bone crunching bass that I used to love. I have parted away all of my subs, amps, speakers and decks and now I'm just pimping the stock bose system for what it's worth. I still her plenty of bass at stoplights and stuff around town and its absolutly true that not long ago I was that same person with the volume on the deck full and the gain on the amp cranked.

I got enough looks with my last stereo to last me a life time...
Old 08-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Blown LS6!!

I'm 30 but wanted just a tad more bass for ME...but w/o forcing everyone else around me to listen to it. The Basslink was the perfect product for me. Easy to install/uninstall, lightweight, and just the right amount of "bump" as you youngens call it.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Go ride around in someone's car that has a shitty system for a couple hours. A friend of mine has a 1st gen DSM w/ a stock system except for a small sub. Damn did i love my Bose after listening to music in that thing.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:00 AM
It's Always Shabbat

mc222 --- haha ... yeah, i agree with you (some of you ) guys.. it's more about clarity than bass.. so what's the best (read not necessarily cheapest, but best bang for your buck.. that got dbox's attention) to achieve an improvement in clarity w/o spending a fortune and adding a box?
Old 08-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

i love my subs, everytime im on a long trip listening to it loud for like 2 hours plus and my amp overheats and cuts off i realize how lacking the stock system is without them
Old 08-21-2003, 10:29 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
its great having my extra bass as an option, but i rarely take advantage of it.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Titand19

Oh well
is your trunk done yet?

pix please
Old 08-21-2003, 12:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I had 2 12s in the trunk, and took them out to rewire some stuff about a month ago. I haven't felt the need to put them back in. The bass was nice, bt I don't really miss it. I'm debating whether or not I'll ever put the 12s back in.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Banned

what's a nice basslink to get?
Old 08-21-2003, 01:49 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Somebody once asked me why I spent sooo much on my various systems. When they realized how much time I spent in my cars, it all became clear to them.

50 weeks and 5 days owned, 23k miles (the CL) ... and this is a mild system.

and I'm im my early 50's
Old 08-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Y2K3CL-S
Somebody once asked me why I spent sooo much on my various systems. When they realized how much time I spent in my cars, it all became clear to them.

50 weeks and 5 days owned, 23k miles (the CL) ... and this is a mild system.

and I'm im my early 50's
I'm about the same mileage and time owned.....sound is something i'd like to do....
Old 08-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Racer

Inifinity makes a basslink system. In my previous car I had a MTX amp hooked up to one 12"JL and bouton acoustic components. Since having my new car I kinda want some of the bass.
Does anyone know how hard the basslink hits?
Old 08-21-2003, 02:43 PM
///M POWER

i aint down w/ systems, its tight some times in my friends cars but it aint for me, i wouldnt like it everyday
Old 08-21-2003, 03:25 PM
Banned

well right now i have this in my trunk...

but i really dont bump it that much anymore, the bass has gotten kind of old to me..i'm actually considering selling my whole system...

except for this, cuz i watch it in traffic
Old 08-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Titand19

Oh well
me2
Old 08-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Back to Four Doors

Originally posted by chrisbpickering
I was the same way, why spend money on a stereo when I drive it 5k miles a year at most. All of my interest, logiclly, shifted to home theater since that is where I spend my time.

However, I do have a new system in my car. I did so due to the overwhelming lack of bass. I listen to Jazz, Rock, Rap, R&B, etc, so full range was not being achieved and it finally got to me. SO I kept the BOSE speakers, amp, and added an aftermarket head unit, amp and subs. Plus it adds to the show qualities of the vehicle. I did the whole install myself, and all equipment, materials, etc was $800.00.
I'd love to get a list of the equipment you installed. I spend a considerable amount of time in my car (65K miles in 3 years) and the stock system, tho passable, doesn't really do justice to Radar Love.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Still trolling

It's a modest install (don't have time to do fiberglass myself anymore. Kids, work, you get the idea), using carpet, wood, etc. I bought decent equipment, not the worst, but not the nicest.

Head unit: Sony CDX-M630 $279.00
Amps: Bose factory amplifier | Bazooka ELA500.1 Mono Block $159.00, for subs only
Speakers: Bose factory separates and rears
Subs: Two 10" Infinity 1030W $89.00 each (99.00 when I bought them).
Installation: Red neon accent lighting, full trunk fabrication with false floor and air ride integration, installion kit for radio, Tsunami 4gauge power kit, Tsunami patch cables, couple sheets of 3/4" MDF, 1/2 sheet of 1/4" MDF, 1/2 sheet of 3/8" MDF, 2 rolls of carpet, screws, blah, blah, blah....

I still have access to my spare by lifting the rack, and it took me two full days to complete it from strip to clean up. It sounds ok, and allows me to slope the factory speakers off at 78hz in the head unit, making them sound better by reducing the lower bass that goes to them. I let 500 watts and two 10's handle that now. THe mids could be nicer, but that would mean snatching that factory speakers and amp, which would tack another 400 to the bill if you bought in the same manner as I did the subs/amp/headunit. Modest but not cheap...

Here are some pics, but the site may go down (domain name change going into effect soon).

http://pick-place.net/auto/acura.htm
Old 08-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Back to Four Doors

Thanks Chris.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:32 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't got sick of it yet!!!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:12 PM
A-CL Fanatic

I occasionaly get tired of it, but I just turn off the radio during those times. I spent around $200 and I am very happy(did some real bargain hunting)
Old 08-25-2003, 07:49 AM
Cruisin'

In my trunk I have one JL Audio 10" with a JL Audio 250/1 amp everything else is stock. I get alot of comments on how clean it sounds
Old 08-25-2003, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
I had my share of loud systems that used all the space in the hatch area. I'm more simple now. I want to use my trunk, I don't want to be heard 2 blocks away, I don't want to be the guy sitting at the light with bass thumping so loud the other cars around you can't hear anything. I got tired of that. I got the basslink, & that's fine for me.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:55 AM
whrindnyoubegn

I'm in the middle here. I have one twelve, but it's in a truck box mounted at the rear of the trunk. The box is small enough such that barely any trunk space is taken up, but I still have "bass," which the factory speakers did *not* have. I'm not "bumpin'," but I still have enough bass to make the stereo sound better.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:26 AM
?!?

there is never too much bass!!!!!!!

i got 2 12" type r's with 2000 watts, and i wish i had some idmaxs up in the trunk instead