DIY: S2000 Style Hood Venting

Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb DIY: S2000 Style Hood Venting

Hey guys! I lurk the forums, but I don't really post much and I figured I'd throw this mini-DIY on the forums.

First off, I can't say that I'm starstruck with the results, but I honestly like how different it is. My biggest worries were the knock sensor and starter, but I bought a DEI Starter Cover for heat and it'll double as a water barrier - I guess. Also, before you ask, I only put them on one side because the battery and intake is on the opposing side. I very well could have done both but it seemed unnecessary and I was modeling the S2000 based hood vents using the skeleton bracing on the under side of the hood. After looking at S2000's with both sides done, I found it unappealing.

What you'll need:

- Angle Grinder or Dremel (in this case, I used both: angle grinder for long edges and dremel for corners)
- heavy duty cutting wheels
- sand paper
- Rust-fighting paint (Rustoleum) and a paint brush) *optional*
- Strong rubber tubing
- Aluminium mesh
- 3M Double-Sided Tape

Start by telling yourself that there is no going back. It's honestly pretty difficult to mess up.

1. Remove the hood using a 10mm ratchet on the two hinges. Use a flat head to pry the clip off of the hood struts (I felt no need for pictures here as this is common knowledge)

2. Lay down a large towel or blanket to lay your hood on to prevent denting or scratching.

3. Cover the top of the hood in painters tape to prevent flaking.

4. Begin cutting

Cut everything I guess right?

5. Reinstall your hood.

6. After you finish ruining your perfectly good hood, spray some black paint in the cap of your spray can and use a small paint brush to paint the raw metal. This will protect the metal from rusting.

7. After you finish that, (sorry for the lack of pictures here) cut your tubing in half (long ways) to make it like a finishing edge. Take the cut tubing and outline the edges of your cuts to give it a more complete look.

8. Cut your aluminium mesh using the sheets you cut out of your hood as a template. Make sure to make them slightly bigger so that they can stick. It might also be noted that this is a trial and error process to make them fit flush and perfect. I also painted mine gloss black as they came a bronze color.

9. Put your 3M on the underside of the hood surrounding the holes and put the mesh on the 3M. This doesn't necessarily have to be your final choice. There are definitely other ways to hold them there (bracketing and what not). But it's held for a few weeks now so it should be good.

10. You're done! Enjoy your super cool new wanna-be S2000! Honestly, you'll feel the heaps of heat that leave those holes after even making a short trip. I never got to test the temperature of the engine bay before and after but it looks cool and is functional so Wynaut.

*I'll try to upload some more DIY pictures soon.

Here's a few pictures of the finished results:

And don't forget the most recents!:

Thanks for reading!

- Morgaan with two A's
Old 07-31-2015, 08:52 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I got to say Morgaan you have a freaking clean CL!
The following users liked this post:
m_rgaan (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 09:05 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sincerely hope nobody else does this.

Only reason to cut a hood is if you have a blower sticking out. If you were attempting to reduce engine temps, you'd be better off with an aluminum radiator and mugen cooling mods.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I agree with scotty that's one proper looking CL very nice!
m_rgaan (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scottyknows007
I got to say Morgaan you have a freaking clean CL!
Originally Posted by mattcl-s
I agree with scotty that's one proper looking CL very nice!
Thanks gentlemen!

Originally Posted by Trollolol
I sincerely hope nobody else does this.

Only reason to cut a hood is if you have a blower sticking out. If you were attempting to reduce engine temps, you'd be better off with an aluminum radiator and mugen cooling mods.
To each his own I guess. I planned on getting a Mishimoto soon anyways. This was also sort of a temporary mod to see how it would turn out since no one else had done it. I plan on getting a CF hood within the next few months.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Looks .. interesting. Not my cup of tea, but I'd say it's more fitting than the IS300s hood
Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TylerT
Looks .. interesting. Not my cup of tea, but I'd say it's more fitting than the IS300s hood
His came out surprisingly nice! He used a series of sheets of metal to make vents that flowed a lot better with the hood rather than the mesh. That way no water could go in.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Good looks..

I can dig it & very clean CL
Old 08-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
My headlights want to be like yours when they grow up. Unfortunately I "had" to use my FX-R 3.0s in my girlfriend's car. But it might be a blessing in disguise as I've grown more fond of the TL bi-xenons, I think. What are yours?

Questions:

Have you noticed any increased wind noise at highway speeds?

Why did you do it to the accessory belt side and not the intake side? The intake would have to be changed up a bit to mate with the opening, but it's a start.

Either way, I don't think it looks bad. It takes away from the "luxury" look so many people here get a hard on for, but age is doing that already. And is that still the factory paint?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by teh CL
Good looks..

I can dig it & very clean CL
teh big thanks

Originally Posted by JarrettLauderdale
My headlights want to be like yours when they grow up. Unfortunately I "had" to use my FX-R 3.0s in my girlfriend's car. But it might be a blessing in disguise as I've grown more fond of the TL bi-xenons, I think. What are yours?

Questions:

Have you noticed any increased wind noise at highway speeds?

Why did you do it to the accessory belt side and not the intake side? The intake would have to be changed up a bit to mate with the opening, but it's a start.

Either way, I don't think it looks bad. It takes away from the "luxury" look so many people here get a hard on for, but age is doing that already. And is that still the factory paint?
I used Morimoto D2R projectors from theretrofitsource.com along with some shrouds and halos from there, but the halos are unplugged due to going out.

No increased noise on the highway. Might be because it's on the accessory side, but I'm not sure. I didn't do it on the intake side because I'm running my intake into the inside of my bumper, almost touching the underside of the engine bay to prevent hydrolock. I have a block off plate that prevents any debri or anything getting into the engine bay from the intake hole. The battery is also there which isn't a huge deal, but I really didn't want anyone to see that haha.

I appreciate and respect that. I'm definitely not going for a luxury look. I thought about it - it bored me. Everyone does luxury car but I guess a car is what you make it. I'm throwing on some spacers and doing brake cooling ducts today if I get around to it. I just want it to be a track inspired daily that I might actually bring to the track one day if it's solid competition. Who knows Oh, and no it's not factory paint. I had it repainted just a year ago. I honestly would like to wrap it battle grey in the coming months but that's on the back burner.

Last edited by m_rgaan; 08-04-2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added answer to paint question
Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
Sick looking CL.

Ever cruise around Orlando?

Last edited by R J Poseidon 6; 08-05-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:45 PM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
where did you get that lip from sir ?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by R J Poseidon 6
Sick looking CL.

Ever cruise around Orlando?
I do. Are you going to V2??

Originally Posted by rush
where did you get that lip from sir ?
It's the STI lip yo.

UPDATE: I'm officially going with the carbon fiber hood and trunk so project hood vents is no longer but they looked nice for a little while.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:15 PM
~HondaF1~

Originally Posted by m_rgaan
I do. Are you going to V2??
Boy I must be way out of the loop .... what's that? The V2Lab Mystery Meat?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by R J Poseidon 6
Boy I must be way out of the loop .... what's that? The V2Lab Mystery Meat?
Yeah I think it's year 4 which is like Pirate theme. Nonetheless it should be a pretty sweet meet.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:56 PM
~HondaF1~

Cool! I'm sure I'll be there!

It gets bigger and bigger every year!
m_rgaan (08-20-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I'm thinking about doing hood venting to help with cooling during track sessions. Will go a different route than this though.

Interested in the CF hood and trunk fitment. Did you go with VIS? Where did you order from?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brian6speed
I'm thinking about doing hood venting to help with cooling during track sessions. Will go a different route than this though.

Interested in the CF hood and trunk fitment. Did you go with VIS? Where did you order from?
Yeah I realized I'm not a huge fan of it either but I just wanted to try something new. Got my CF hood and trunk for a great deal and they both ViS. Only issue was that the hood was more Kevlar colored and the trunk is carbon color. Kinda annoys me but I couldn't pass up the deal. The ViS hood fits pretty well. Only issue was the grill fitment but like others have said, it just needs to be dremeled a little to fit. It also needs UV gel over it because ViS doesn't use the best clear coat. Weighs a ton less though and looks extra good.

I follow your build thread as much as a I can because it's so informative. I wanted to know if you were going to do brake cooling ducts anytime soon? I feel like that's something you would have done by now. I planned on reforming the holes in the bumper vents and then using the brake cooling duct hose that they use on airplanes. My dad gave me the name but I forgot it. I planned on doing a DIY whenever I got around to it but I've really halted my build progress because of work and school.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Lone Wolf

Is that sheriff eyeing your car in that pic?

The kevlar/gold appearance seems to fit your cars color theme. I would probably paint it. Body color on sides and clear with gold flake in middle.

Any chance you have weight difference. Also interested in trunk fitment without trunk springs installed.

If I feel like Brake ducts are needed, then will add ducts. Doesn't seem necessary yet. My brakes did not fade at all.

Will post up some Brake Duct DIY I have kept track of for you when get time.

Need to find deal on a hood. Not sure have any more room to store more parts.

Have seen 2 cars at events this year have their CF hoods with hood pins fly up and smash their windshields. Easy to forget to latch them after opening hood to cool engine after every run/session. Don't want to make same mistake.

Last edited by brian6speed; 08-26-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I think m3 hood vents would have looked 10x better.

or even MB AMG hood vents.

or even Jaguar hood vents
Old 08-26-2015, 08:19 AM
Lone Wolf

Wonder how removing windshield cowl helps with heat extraction compared to hood vents/cutting.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:30 PM
j35/6 Speed Swapped

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Looking good! Loving the color scheme