DIY 2g 6 Speed Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:14 AM
Membistered Regember

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
DIY 2g 6 Speed Manual Transmission Fluid Change

There's plenty a thread explaining how to change out your 6mt fluid, even pictures in the service manual, but I'm a visual learner so for you other visual learners here's a Tut w/ some pics. Was having a hard time understanding from a manual so I had to get down and look for myself, it's actually a very very simple process

This should be done on level ground for best results (of course you need to jack the car to reach underneath, but you must put the car flat again when filling to be accurate)

Rundown: Drain MT fluid by removing drain plug,
( should be about 2 qts give or take some.)
Close drain plug
now take off check bolt and fill plug.
Fill MT with fluid (a little more than what you drained) the check bolt is a fail safe, you basically fill the MT until the check bolt starts to leak any excess fluid. You wait for the check bolt to stop leaking then put it back on, as wel as the fill plug

done!

Tools needed: 3/8th drive ratchet with an extention greater than 5" (to clear parts when turning the ratchet)

breaker bar, or pipe over the ratchet (the fill plug is a tight sucker)
Jack
10mm wrench
Oil pan
big long funnel

bolt and plug sizes
Fill plug: 3/8th drive
Drain Plug: 3/8th drive
checkbolt: 10mm

Highly Recommended steps to make your life easier, but unnecessary:
Remove intake system
turn fill plug clockwise first to break it loose (just a little don't strip it!)
this sucker is really easy to strip and is pretty damned plugged so make sure your drive is sticking in completely

First you must jack up the car
Name:  CAM01300_zpscfcf9ead.jpg
Views: 3441
Size:  106.0 KB
Weather Tech Windvisors if anyone is interested in how they look. Only gripe is that they make the windows hard to roll up sometimes and the auto roll up won't work anymore.

Name:  CAM01301copy_zpsa2a89ec8.jpg
Views: 3819
Size:  107.4 KB
This sucker was 15 bucks at harbor freight and i'm surprised it was small enough to be able to lift my car. So compact and faster than the stock scissor jack (I'm on stock height/springs/etc)

Name:  CAM01295_zps25f8740a.jpg
Views: 2726
Size:  46.7 KB

Notice I'm raising the car from the front left side, it was the easiest for me.

Alright, with teh car raised, go to the front of your vehicle and climb underneath. The bolts should be towards the right side of the catalytic converter and stuff. Hard to miss, follow the tranny and other landmarks I am showing (the cat, etc)

Name:  CAM01302-Copy_zps4640912b.jpg
Views: 10040
Size:  88.6 KB

Alright found it? Now you're gonna take that sucker off and drain the juices from your MT, lower car again to get all the juice out. It also has a crush washer so don't forget to reuse/replace it
Name:  CAM01304-Copy_zpsa3fe5ce8.jpg
Views: 7640
Size:  85.4 KB

Once it's drained, raise the car up again Put back the crush washer and drain plug and then remove the checkbolt
Name:  CAM01303-Copy_zps4aeb87eb.jpg
Views: 14724
Size:  81.5 KB

Keep the oil pan under to catch oil dripping form the check bolt.

Now you must lower the car and proceed to fill up your MT. (i've removed my intake system for the sake of it being easier, you can also remove this fill plug befor you start anythign to get it over with)

Here is how to find the Fill plug (it rests on top of the transmission)
Name:  CAM01296-Copy_zps38f77810.jpg
Views: 3404
Size:  126.8 KB

Follow the green arr0w
Name:  CAM01297-Copy_zps7a72bca7.jpg
Views: 2807
Size:  103.6 KB

Mine was pretty stripped from the previous owners/dealership because they were underestimating this plug. This was the hardest bolt I have ever had to break. I seriously thought I broke my ratchet/ pipe and stripped the bolt. I guess I was lucky. It probably isn't that bad and the previous owner used an impact wrench or something, so your mileage may vary

Once you crack it off, proceed to fill the MT. Treat it like a newborn. Caring and loving
Name:  CAM01308_zps1da7c941.jpg
Views: 2876
Size:  113.3 KB

I used AC delco's version of GM synchromesh NON FRICTION MODIFIED
I've heard that the GM Synchromesh friction modified was teh best stuff to get.

Pennzoil's synchromesh is the same as ac delco/ gm sychromesh NON friction modified.

Also I've heard good things about the new Honda/Acura MT fluid. It's up to you.

This fluid has improved my shifting, feels a little smoother and a less "rusty" in the gear selector when shifting through gears.

Again: AC Delco Synchromesh NON FM , GM synchromesh NON FM, and Penzoil NON FM = the same thing,
penzoil might be able to special order to autozone/oreillys, AC Delco/ GM must be found online or at a dealer. (Got mines from an AC delco warehouse)

GM Synchromesh WITH FM, AC Delco Synchromesh WITH FM = same thing

Now here's a quick and dirty tip to add some extra HP to the wheels, this can range from + 2whp to over 20 whp depending.
You wanan get some of this stuff and pour that baby in so smooth, let the succulent juices flow down and increase the torque. The high ABV will confuse the transmission fluid molecules and make them bind together with stronger bonds, but while at the same time maintaining the viscosity so it won't hurt. The stronger bonds = more Torque = more horsepower

Name:  CAM01308-Copy_zpsd3317d96.jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  120.9 KB
bam instant horsepower for around 2.59 a can. Only downside is that you must replace 6MT every 20,000 miles Pretty sure i'm at 320 WHP now on the mustang dyno with these expensive mods I have on my car.

Alright, so now you're filling it up, What now? Remember the check bolt is off. Fill it with a little more than what you've drained, it should start to leak from the check bolt, if not, add more until you hear it leaking and falling into the oil pan.

It will leak for a long while. Wait until it's done leaking and raise the car up (don't worry raising from the front won't cause anymore fluid to spill out from the checkbolt) and put the checkbolt back on. Make sure everything is sealed up. Refer to car manual for torque settings. I just made sure everything was snug and the fill plug wasn't so damn tight

And there you have it 6MT fluid change

Good luck and have a great DIY GLHF

Michael was mad at Dwight because Dwight was able to replace his MT fluid on his silver CL-S6 while Michael wasn't able to replace his MT fluid because he had an AT prius

and plz Dolan Stahp and don't put 4loko in your 6MT

Last edited by jaeravenal; 02-24-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
aside from all the off track jibber jabber, its a good write up! nice job!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Gooby pls

Lol, you make the best DIYs
Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 AM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Damn how many catch cans do you have
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice write up, but have a question. In the first picture where your showing the position of the fill bolt, you have a little object circled in red and say 45 hp. What is that? Is it an easy add on? Thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
^Not sure if serious...

I think it says +5HP, not 45HP. It's just a fuse from the positive terminal.