Did My First 3x3 Today, Thought I Would Share

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did My First 3x3 Today, Thought I Would Share

First Flush: Second Flush:
Third Flush: (I ran out of bottles lol)

The last flush was much more red in person.
Shifting is now smooth as butter, shudder has disappeared and currently taking it easy and letting the transmission get used to brand new fluid. I'll post an update in a week.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't they say it's best to not flush the tranny after x amount of miles?
Old 07-19-2017, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Sorry I should've clearify that I've only owned this car for 1 1/2 years, and the car currently has 184,000 miles on it. I was given no knowledge from the previous owner, so sadly I wasn't able to determine when the last flush was before my ownership. I took the chance to flush it, knowing it would be a hit or miss.

Last edited by RedlineCL-S; 07-19-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
How many miles from ur last drain and fill.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Advanced

Curious to see the update.. 150k on my car and have been debating whether I should flush or not
Old 07-20-2017, 01:10 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by DMateo
Don't they say it's best to not flush the tranny after x amount of miles?
Who's they? Idiots?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:27 AM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Karanx7
Who's they? Idiots?
There are a lot of mechanics and some evidence that if you have say 150k miles on your transmission without a flush, it can actually be more detrimental to flush it. With burnt fluid and transmissions that have hard part damage, it seems transmissions die shortly after flushing. You can find a good deal of those recommending against doing so and simply saving for a rebuild while babying the transmission.

Hard to say if this advice is solid or not. In some cases it may be. In others it may be that the transmission was already exhibiting signs of problems which prompted the changing of fluid. The new fluid helped things initially but the transmission as a whole was already headed south and failure comes shortly after.

We do see this type of issue with running Seafoam through older engines that may not have been really well maintained. Often small pieces of gunk in your oil case may be plugging small leaks in the gaskets. Running Seafoam through cleans them out and you start seeing small oil leaks because of it.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by TheWeez
There are a lot of mechanics and some evidence that if you have say 150k miles on your transmission without a flush
He didn't say without a flush. He literally only said "best to not flush the tranny after x amount of miles." Read carefully.

Even without a flush, it's hard to find a reason that a proper 3x3 (not a flush) can damage the car. Those anecdotal stories may be influenced by the fact that people with transmission problems are now wondering if doing a flush can save their tranny. If you haven't done a tranny service after 150k, then maybe your tranny was fucked already with or without the flush. Still, it's hard to conclusively say if it's harmful or not without some data.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Karanx7
He didn't say without a flush. He literally only said "best to not flush the tranny after x amount of miles." Read carefully.

Even without a flush, it's hard to find a reason that a proper 3x3 (not a flush) can damage the car. Those anecdotal stories may be influenced by the fact that people with transmission problems are now wondering if doing a flush can save their tranny. If you haven't done a tranny service after 150k, then maybe your tranny was fucked already with or without the flush. Still, it's hard to conclusively say if it's harmful or not without some data.
NO need to get all douchy on a forum dude... he clearly got what I meant. If the transmission hasn't been flushed in a very long time I've heard numerous credible mechanics say that you shouldn't do it.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by DMateo
NO need to get all douchy on a forum dude... he clearly got what I meant. If the transmission hasn't been flushed in a very long time I've heard numerous credible mechanics say that you shouldn't do it.
Sorry if you took it as "douchy" when I simply read what you said. Not that I said anything offensive. You're the only one in this thread that has insulted anyone, buddy.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Ahhhh the age old "don't flush it , older transmission

If it was already dying, a flush won't fix it for sure. But not doing a flush can only do more harm than good.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my recent personal experience.

Original tranny. Changed tranny fluid at around 174k.(drain and fill).

5 years later (now) at 273k. Felt a little slipping when cold from 1st to 2nd.

did one drain and fill. fluid was nasty. did another drain and fill. still nasty. another one - better. Then...solenoids started clogging. a couple months of cleaning solenoids just to be stubborn.

put in new AV6 transmission last month. Going good now.

tranny was probably going to go no matter what.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Intermediate

Alright so it's been a week and here are my results. Within the first two days the car decided it wasn't gonna like the new fluid and slipped third a couple times. Ok I start to get a tad nervous and ask myself was this a mistake. Woke up the next morning took about an hour drive, combination of city and highway no problems came up, all the gears shifted very very smooth. All through the rest of the week despite the first two days I've had nothing bad to say. Car feels stronger gears shift perfectly, not even one slip. Don't know how long this will last but I'll keep updating.