Custom or Kit coilovers. Whats better?

Old 04-27-2017, 08:02 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom or Kit coilovers. Whats better?

My 03' CL-S is all stock with a 6 speed Anyone have an idea what the factory spring rates are? I was wanting 1.5 - 2 inch drop for now, a firm ride and strong cornering (rails) 16F/13R maybe??

Coilover kit or custom make it myself?
Eibach or Hyperco with perch?
Adjustable Damper suggestions? I very recently (today) heard iffy things about koni and tokico compared to previous years (i just dont have any experience)
Thoughts on pillowtops?
why do some coilover kits have an upper and smaller lower spring (KW). Dont think they have my car though, nice looking kit though

or should i just bite the bullet and get AMR?

lots of questions i know. This is my first ever performance mod and its only a daily driver but why not have the option for fun

Never gonna put on a track but i wanna be able to adjst rid height as needed

$1700 budget

Thanks to anyone with a suggestion of my best options
Old 04-28-2017, 07:44 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
that's a nice budget. I've heard AMR are supposed to be very good, but haven't heard many reviews on here since they're the high end. Koni shocks have a lifetime warranty, so you shouldn't have to worry about quality.
I've had tein basis in the past and these were the lower end (no dampening) and they were very comfortable but there was always some squeaks going on. I've heard the same thing from a few people on here about coilovers making noises on these cars (different brands too).
If you do go with a coilover then get some with full dampening. Tein Advance, AMR, XLR8 ISC and I'm sure there are many more.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:02 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Not many options for CL. I am running zeal coils, but they will cost you roughly 2300 new. I tried getting custom ones made. It would have cost $4k or more. I was willing to pay, but the process dragged on for months without any company really committing to doing it. They all say they will build you custom shocks but never follow throught on it. Not worth their time to make one-off customs.

I dunno about AMR quality. If I was you I'd just get koni sport shocks. They ride better on street than any coilover and will improve handling.

No off the shelf suspension for Acura will have proper spring rates for handling. Honda/Acura has never sold car that I know of with stiffer springs in rear needed to get good handling from fwd car. All aftermarket suspensions are same unless you get custom spring rates. Ford know what they are doing, the focus st comes stock with stiffer rear springs and rotates amazing. Honda doesn't trust their owners abilities like Ford does it seems.

My current spring rates are 12k front, 14k rear. Wouldn't go any stiffer for street driven car.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:33 PM
6th Gear

Hey i really appreciate all the guidance and tips. Im just starting out so im definitely interested in learning, I wrech on planes for a living but never import mods till i noticed all four corners need a good overhaul
gnuts, your CLS looks freakn awesome. Well done. Whats your setup if you don mind me asking.

AMR , after thinking about it just isn't practical yet.
Coilovers seem like newer technology right??
why cant i just build my own full functioning double spring seat coilover? Possible?
I like how koni comes so highly recommended almost everywhere and a warranty is awesome. Not sure about using a conersion kit
You guys think a 2gen TLS coilover would be safe? TSX model crossover? Integra type R??
Thank you for the spring rate suggestions . I wasn't exactly sure, lots to learn there, Looking for very firm and tight without chipping a tooth.
Im running Bridgestone 225x45r17 on OEM wheels. Maybe do 19" at next tire change?? . What should i look out for. Im clueless here

Lots of questions i know. Sorry.
Thanks to all
Old 04-28-2017, 08:06 PM
3.5 psi

Anything for the 2nd gen TL/CL or 6th Gen accord will fit. Nothing else. I'm not sure what you mean by making your own.
coilovers are great in that you can get the exact drop you want.
if you go with shocks and lowering springs then I would suggest koni shocks. Then you just pick whatever lowering springs you want. I'm on Apex springs and stock shocks but one day I'll get some koni shocks. Other springs are H&R, Tein, Eibach. Each state what amount they lower the car.
Also note that most springs were made for automatic CLs which are heavier up front than the 6speeds. So lowering springs sit slightly high in the front on the 6speeds. That's why koni's are good, they have 2 spring perches. If you put it on the lower one it drop another 0.8".
You might be best to call up one of our vendors here. Both are very helpful: XLR8 performance or Heeltoe.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:08 PM
3.5 psi

Also I've had 17s, 18s and 19s and I think 18s are the best. 19s looked to big for me and left not enough tire so the ride was rougher.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:56 AM
6th Gear

Gnuts, Im looking into the ISC comfiguration and since you mentioned the 6spd weight differential, what spring rates would be advised? Would like to ride very firm.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2017, 05:30 PM
3.5 psi

This is what XLR8 says online. I would go with the street/comfort since this is your daily. But I'm old. COIL-TL-9903-SSNotesXLR8 ISC Coilovers with Street/Sport Spring Rate (12 F/8 R)COIL-TL-9903-SCNotesXLR8 ISC Coilovers with Street/Comfort Spring Rate (10 F/6 R)COIL-TL-9903-RTNotesXLR8 ISC Coilovers with Race/Track Springs (14/10)
Old 04-29-2017, 07:17 PM
6th Gear

Thanks!
yeah im old too so i agree on the comfort setup. Im just worried about ride quality vs stock and most importantly making sure My choice is gonna be quiet and not clunking 3 months later. Im willing to spend more if needed. Any other accessories i should get to complete the install? Thank you
Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 AM
3.5 psi

Since you want better handling, I would suggest an Eibach rear sway bar.
how low will you set it? Depending on how low you may need a rear camber kit. You'll need an alignment either way after you redo the suspension.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:46 PM
6th Gear

one finger nothing crazy but i need to leave an opening for some larger wheels in the future, i really like the KW's but the dampers are preset, not sure what to think of that. im just not wanting any clunking or chattering ever. i was thinking of just getn some swift springs for my stock dampers
Old 05-02-2017, 02:23 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 107 Likes on 87 Posts
You aren't going to find something that will meet all the requirements you've laid out. Basically you want magic that can drop the car while still fitting larger wheels and have a nice and solid ride without any additional noise. You can't have all those things. You're also never going to make this car handle like it's on rails no matter what you go with. It's a +3600lb pig. Even going the full suspension upgrade route it'll still never be there.

I'd go Eibach springs and Konis with custom valving and call it a day.

Search this Thread