Current CL Navigation vs. 2003 MDX/Accord Navigation

Old 10-16-2002, 12:05 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Current CL Navigation vs. 2003 MDX/Accord Navigation

I just read a small review in US Weekly of the 2003 Voice activated features in the 2003 Accord. It mentioned that the car must be stopped before an address can be added for a destination. I thought Acura navigations didn't require this and am just wondering if this is just a new feature of Honda/Acura's next generation navigations. I know it's a "safety feature", but it would be nice if the passenger could do the change while I was driving. They did mention that the voice commands would work even when the car was moving.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know if it's true, but personally I wouldn't have a lot of heartburn if this safety feature was incorporated. I've got a Navi and will be the first to say, it can be just another thing distracting the driver from doing what they should be doing-driving

Just yesterday, I got cut off big time by a soccer mom in her Chevy Suburban who just decided stop signs just don't wok for her lifestyle. Forgot to mention, that she was on her cell phone and crossed three lanes of traffic to get over to the left turn lane. Must have been an exciting ride for the two small children in the back seat. Honestly these women in SUV's and armed with cell phones scare the s*** out of me.

To me there are people who can operate a vehicle and than there are drivers. Drivers know that when they drive their vehicle they must have awareness of what going on around them.

Kudo's to Honda if they have made the Navi to operate either by voice command when the vehicle is in drive. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. What are your thoughts America... I miss Dennis Miller!
Old 10-16-2002, 07:43 AM
Racer

Didn't I also hear that although the Accord gained voice command it lost touch screen ability?
Old 10-16-2002, 07:44 AM
shooting for 1200+rwhp

Ive also got navi in mine and I can change the address any time I feel like it. Yes, it can be very distracting and i try not to mess with it unless im stopped, but sometimes you just have to change your destination and it would be a pain in the a@@, but on the other hand....it would be more safe
Old 10-16-2002, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

jeez i hope not cuase sometimes I put address's in while im driving.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:35 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally posted by Bill Faure
Didn't I also hear that although the Accord gained voice command it lost touch screen ability?
I don't think so. It wasn't mentioned in the article. I really doubt it and hope it's not the case because the reviewer kept saying the voice recognition wasn't 100%. He would say "Temperature 68 degrees" and the radio would turn off for example. Seriously hope they work all the bugs out.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:45 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Speed_Racer
I don't think so. It wasn't mentioned in the article. I really doubt it and hope it's not the case because the reviewer kept saying the voice recognition wasn't 100%. He would say "Temperature 68 degrees" and the radio would turn off for example. Seriously hope they work all the bugs out.
I'm not surprised by real-world voice recognition errors. I was surprised that Honda/Acura used IBM's ViaVoice software for voice recognition.

I tried out ViaVoice about a year ago - the best feature was the money-back guarantee. It needed a LOT of training and still made too many errors. I thought that ScanSoft's Dragon was a more reliable program, but in both you had to speak way too slow to make it useful. My typing is faster.

I would prefer a non-voice activated system if the voice activated system had too many errors.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:30 PM
whoXwanXsum

fuck voice command! that shit sux ass! toyota lexus navi has theirs where u must stop to enter a destination. newer isnt always better, a navi without touch-screen is worth NOTHING to me. only thing i could ask for is a bigger screen and thats just if i HAD to change anything.
i love the navi!
Old 12-02-2002, 02:53 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

I saw a commercial last night for the new Accord w/nav. They claim 180 voice commands. INcluding commands for the radio and HVAC.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use the NAV on the go ONLY to enter the pre-stored previous addresses, now,if we cannot do that with the new NAV... that is a big ass
Old 12-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Slimey is correct ! IBM bugs dude ! Tons of them too ! I wouldn't touch IBM's product....esp. in a car ! LMAO ! IBM is a joke !
Here is how it goes:
HONDA puts bid out. IBM low balls ! They win the project. IBM then out sources this VOICE code to INDIA (you get what you pay for here). Wala: Bug riddled product ! NO THANK YOU !
Old 12-03-2002, 01:37 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by tktommy
Don't know if it's true, but personally I wouldn't have a lot of heartburn if this safety feature was incorporated. I've got a Navi and will be the first to say, it can be just another thing distracting the driver from doing what they should be doing-driving

Just yesterday, I got cut off big time by a soccer mom in her Chevy Suburban who just decided stop signs just don't wok for her lifestyle. Forgot to mention, that she was on her cell phone and crossed three lanes of traffic to get over to the left turn lane. Must have been an exciting ride for the two small children in the back seat. Honestly these women in SUV's and armed with cell phones scare the s*** out of me.

To me there are people who can operate a vehicle and than there are drivers. Drivers know that when they drive their vehicle they must have awareness of what going on around them.

Kudo's to Honda if they have made the Navi to operate either by voice command when the vehicle is in drive. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. What are your thoughts America... I miss Dennis Miller!
Soccer moms eh