AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G CL (2001-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/)
-   -   CLS-6MT Cosmetic resto in progress (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/cls-6mt-cosmetic-resto-progress-939517/)

Oldsman71 12-05-2015 08:10 PM

CLS-6MT Cosmetic resto in progress

2 Attachment(s)
I've been a member here since I bought my San Marino Red w/ Black interior '03 CLS-6 in August of 2012. Flew to Florida to get it and drove it back to Kansas. It was only in Florida for 6 months, and had spent most of its life in the Houston area. Got interested in these cars while browsing cars.com and finding out how low the production run was. The paint had a few issues when I bought it, and the car got hailed on pretty good in May of 2013. Decided when I fixed the hail I would do a repaint too. Have spent the last 2+ years accumulating parts and waiting to have some time to start this project. Here are a few pics from when I got the car.

Oldsman71 12-05-2015 08:30 PM

Winter/Spring 2013

3 Attachment(s)
The clock light was burned out, so I replaced every bulb in the dash shortly after I got back to Kansas. The car had 85K on it when I bought it so over the winter I did a brake job, had the brake fluid flushed, changed the plugs, and drained and refilled the gear box. I also put on some 18x7.5 wheels with new michelins and installed new Bilstein shocks with H&R oe sport springs. I also had the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, drive belts and 1 of the motor mounts replaced

Oldsman71 12-05-2015 08:35 PM

May 2013

3 Attachment(s)
A freak hail storm went through my neighborhood while I was out to diner. The car was under a cover, but still got pounded. These pictures don't show how bad it was.

Oldsman71 12-05-2015 08:44 PM

June 2013 to present

4 Attachment(s)
Went to a couple of Acurazine meets in KC. Met lots of good people. Used car as weekend driver and my "golf" car. Put a CT engineering ice box on, and accumulated parts (new and used) for the restoration.

Oldsman71 12-05-2015 08:55 PM

November 2015

8 Attachment(s)
Finally able to get started on this thing. Removed trunk lining, door panels, headliner, rear seats, bumpers, tail and head lights. Also took inventory of my accumulated parts and started a list of additional parts I need.

Oldsman71 12-05-2015 09:05 PM

PDR work

5 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine who's been doing PDR work for 22 years came over and spent a day and a half working out hail dents and door dings. He did a wonderful job. Car is now ready to go to the body shop for a repaint. I will have them install some of the parts I removed like head and tail lights, bumpers, grill and inner fenders/ splash shields so we are sure everything matches and goes back together properly. I need to get a few more parts and see when car fits into their schedule.

Accord316 12-07-2015 12:23 AM

Car looks beautiful with those upgraded rims and HnR springs...Germans sure know how to make springs becuase it looks even drop or gap front and back

Oldsman71 12-07-2015 04:50 PM

^
Thank you. I am planning on going with a different wheel when I get car done. Probably some enkei RPF1s in bright silver.

JarrettLauderdale 12-07-2015 05:46 PM

An amazing wheel from both a function and form perspective. They're ungodly light. That's why I love my Kosei K1s so much.

Oldsman71 12-30-2015 02:44 PM

Since last posting

5 Attachment(s)
Got most of my parts including a new front bumper cover. Probably didn't need too, but when I considered the cost of prep work, its nearly a push. Cleaned up some surface rust by welds on the front bumper, primed with self etching primer and then painted over with some underhood black.

Tow truck came today to haul car to the paint shop. The car was full of parts, as well as the bed of my truck, with a few boxes even in my truck cab.

Hopefully the paint shop will take a few pictures during the process.

HorizonCL-s6 01-02-2016 11:29 PM

What wheels did you buy the car on? Those wheels in your first posts look damn good. I really want to find some a spec wheels just don't want to spend the money lol

01acls 01-03-2016 03:41 AM

Tell me you're not going to paint the car with the door handles, belt moldings, mirrors, and window trims intact?

If you are that would be a real shame because you're 80% there ready to paint.

Oldsman71 01-03-2016 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 01acls (Post 15646442)
Tell me you're not going to paint the car with the door handles, belt moldings, mirrors, and window trims intact?

If you are that would be a real shame because you're 80% there ready to paint.

No, all of these will be removed. Mirrors, door handles, bumpers, grill surround will all be painted separately, then re-installed on the car. All the glass will come out too. I also have all new weather striping except for window tracks, which is still fine. The belt moldings and drip rail moldings will come off. I'm replacing one of each, but plan to use the other 2 which are still in good shape. I'm having the paint shop do all of the exterior re-install so I can be sure everything lines up good, matches good, seals good, and so I don't ding any new paint doing stuff by myself.

Oldsman71 01-03-2016 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by HorizonCL-s6 (Post 15646378)
What wheels did you buy the car on? Those wheels in your first posts look damn good. I really want to find some a spec wheels just don't want to spend the money lol

The Wheels I bought the car with were stock 17x7 CLS wheels. The wheels I put on were 18x7.5 Enkei FD-05 with 53 offset. These are for sale in my black market post. I put the stock wheels back on last fall, because I had a nail in one of the tires and the shop I took it to, to fix, said I had ruined the sidewall by running it low. The stock tires and wheels would have gone back on anyway to go to the paint shop. I plan to buy new tires and wheels once I get car back. Most likely Enkei RPF1s. Leaning towards a 17 inch wheel so I don't have such a thin sidewall (50 series instead of 40 or 45).

Oldsman71 02-05-2016 05:44 PM

Progress

7 Attachment(s)
The body shop sent me a few pictures today. Hopefully will have her back in a few weeks. Also got the "soft" parts from interior and trunk that needed a little recon. work back a few weeks ago.

R J Poseidon 6 02-10-2016 02:09 PM

Man it's going to be so sick when it's done

Lance10 02-19-2016 07:33 PM

I love it.

Check out my mistakes/lessons learned on overhauling the car, save yourself the money :)

Accord316 02-20-2016 01:44 PM

Oldsman,

Just curious what attracted you to buy the FWD Acura Cl type s...there are RWD sports cars out there like the G35s and BMWs. I came from a honda family so that's why I choose an Acura for now..

Lance10 02-20-2016 03:13 PM

I have those rims as well. Might be swapping to other rims, if you need a rim just pay for shipping or come pick them up.

Also, if you need any other parts, I have a collection of things. I'm excited to see your final product.

Your door panels look great, did you refinish or buy new or are those the stock ones?

Oldsman71 02-21-2016 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Accord316 (Post 15684919)
Oldsman,

Just curious what attracted you to buy the FWD Acura Cl type s...there are RWD sports cars out there like the G35s and BMWs. I came from a honda family so that's why I choose an Acura for now..

I was actually shopping for a car for my daughter. We purchased a new TL in '08, which was (and still is) the best car we have ever owned. So I was searching for a 2 door car from the early 2000s for my daughter. The 1st car that popped up in that search was a CL, with a six speed. I dug a little deeper and found out about the transmission issues with the automatic cars and how limited the 6 speed production was. I decided that I would like to find a '03 six speed car for myself, due to the low production numbers and the fun quotient I knew would come with the 6 speed. Searched six months. I wanted blue. Thought I had a silver and an anthracite car bought until sellers backed out. Had a deal on another silver one, but seller never got back when he said he would (he actually did get back with me while I was driving this car back from Florida). So I settled on a red one with black interior since production was under 150 units.

Oldsman71 02-21-2016 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lance10 (Post 15684953)
I have those rims as well. Might be swapping to other rims, if you need a rim just pay for shipping or come pick them up.

Also, if you need any other parts, I have a collection of things. I'm excited to see your final product.

Your door panels look great, did you refinish or buy new or are those the stock ones?

What rims? I plan to install 17" RPF1s and run a 50 series tire. I will keep my stock wheels, and am trying to sell my FD-05s. I still have them because I refuse to "give anything away" just because I won't be using.

I think I'm pretty good on parts. Spent a "boatload" of cash (from my perspective) on oem parts. Brian 6-speed also helped me out with some really nice interior parts from his car. After fighting through a couple of restorations on early 70s Oldsmobiles, this car is easy due to the availability of oem parts we can still get.

These are my original door panels. I know a guy locally who at one time had a "Dr. Vinyl" franchise. He now works for a multi-brand dealership doing reconditioning work as needed on interiors as well as exterior finishing (buffing and color sanding). He fixed a small cut in my passenger side vinyl (top of panel, by window) and also sanded out and refinished scuff marks on plastic lower areas. He also fixed a small tear in my rear console, as well as cleaned up and re-dyed sill plates and a piece from my trunk. The best part: $125 for all of that.

03-6/6 02-22-2016 08:12 AM

i have 17x8 +35 rpf1 with 235/50 and i think the tire is too big. looks meaty but it might be too much.

Oldsman71 02-23-2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 03-6/6 (Post 15685787)
i have 17x8 +35 rpf1 with 235/50 and i think the tire is too big. looks meaty but it might be too much.

That tire is definitely to big. Spedo would be off a bunch. Also the 35mm offset would make an 8" wheel really stick out on the side. Not what I'm looking for. I am looking at using a 17x7.5 with a 48mm offset. Will either run the stock 215/50/17 or perhaps go 1 size larger to 225/50/17. This will only make my spedo off about 1.5% and fill the wheel opening just a bit more.

m_rgaan 02-23-2016 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsman71 (Post 15686826)
That tire is definitely to big. Spedo would be off a bunch. Also the 35mm offset would make an 8" wheel really stick out on the side. Not what I'm looking for. I am looking at using a 17x7.5 with a 48mm offset. Will either run the stock 215/50/17 or perhaps go 1 size larger to 225/50/17. This will only make my spedo off about 1.5% and fill the wheel opening just a bit more.

Before I was widebody and using spacers, my wheel fitment with 18x8 +35 was actually close to perfect so I'm not entirely sure where your measurements are coming from but +35 wouldn't poke out or rub.

Not my favorite picture, but for reference:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...34ea42df09.jpg

JarrettLauderdale 02-23-2016 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by m_rgaan (Post 15686874)
Before I was widebody and using spacers, my wheel fitment with 18x8 +35 was actually close to perfect so I'm not entirely sure where your measurements are coming from but +35 wouldn't poke out or rub.

Not my favorite picture, but for reference:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...34ea42df09.jpg

My experience has been similar to the OP's. My CL had been on 17x7.5 +48mm Kosei K1s with 235/45/17 tires for a while before I had to roll the fenders in the rear. The car is lowered 2" with H&R Race springs and Koni yellows. I can understand not rubbing if you're running super stiff coilovers, but on suspension that actually compresses, even I rubbed. I replaced my front tires with 225/50/17 Michelin Pilot Sports and rubbed when I lowered to Konis to the lowest spring perch, but not when I raised it back up to the higher setting.

Oldsman71 02-24-2016 03:19 PM

Wheels in the picture look bigger than 17s and tires look like a 45 or 40 profile. According to the tire/wheel calculator on this site the 17 x 8 +35s would extend out by 1.28" from stock and about .75" more than a 7.5 with +48 offset

rockstar143 02-24-2016 05:13 PM

great thread, car, and read

Scottyknows007 02-25-2016 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ive got 18 x 7.5's with a 32" off set and it sticks out a hair.. Enough that when I go over bumps it does occasionally rub.. but that is probably more to do with my old ass struts giving to much.. blown and need to get a new set.

Oldsman71 03-03-2016 03:30 PM

A little more progress

3 Attachment(s)
Car has actually been painted for a couple of weeks. They still need to do some edging, assembly and a few other things. I told the shop owner not to get in a big hurry, as all of my bedroom furniture is currently occupying my CLs space in the garage due to a remodel project at my house. I stopped by the shop today, and my contacts were not around, but they had the CL out so I took a few pictures. Car was very dusty, but I took the pics anyway.

rockstar143 03-03-2016 07:59 PM

:woot:

Oldsman71 03-26-2016 06:14 AM

Almost done

5 Attachment(s)
Body shop is done with car except for detailing and installing a new left drip rail molding. They felt since I had them replace both belt moldings and the right drip rail, it would be best to do the left drip rail too. Mess in garage (from remodel project in house) should be dealt with this weekend. Car will be ready to bring home mid to late next week, so I can start on re-assembly of interior, trunk and a few items under the hood. Here are a few pictures, Including one of mess in cars garage space.

Oldsman71 03-26-2016 06:36 AM

Then....

1 Attachment(s)
Once I get the car back, I hope to have re-assembly done in 3 to 4 weekends. I need to determine if I can run a 245/40 18 on the '05 A-spec wheels I bought. I know the height will be fine, as these are shorter than the 225/45 18 I was previously running. Concerned about rub on fender lips, as well as potential rub on inside when front tires are fully turned. Will probably mount 235/45 17 from wifes TL to see how much more clearance I should have with one size wider.

Oldsman71 04-02-2016 06:16 AM

She's back home

5 Attachment(s)
Picked her up yesterday evening. The body shop I used also has a service center. They sell and install tires. Quoted me a better price than I had locally, so I took wheels down on Thursday and had them get the new tires for me.

brian6speed 04-02-2016 07:17 AM

Looking good.:thumbsup: Paint looks nice and clean. Looks like you still need to re-install interior. Are those the 8" or 8.5" wide wheels?

You guys need to step up your fitment game. I run 18x9 +35 up front with 255/35/18s on un-modded fenders. J/K. Would not recommend going that aggressive.

Prefer 18" wheels on CL over 17. 18x8.5 +45 would be a good choice and also probably still clear bbk if ever upgrade brakes.

Fitment and rubbing also depends on camber settings. Even for street car still prefer some negative camber for better handling. It does not wear tires down like people think. That is usually toe being off. Negative camber also helps with fitment and running wider setups. Anything over -2 camber for street is little much in my opinion.

Also if you are worried about inner wheel/tire clearance for suspension and frame, then anything less aggressive(more inner clearance that can be calculated at 1010tires.com) than 18x8.5 +52 with 255/35/18 tires and -2 camber should be good.

brian6speed 04-02-2016 07:34 AM

On a side note, are you still looking for headers? Saw set of Comptechs in blackmarket, but the price is ridiculous. Maybe you could talk him down.

If not could sell you my custom setup if ever get it redone if you are still looking in 1-2 years.:tomato:

Oldsman71 04-03-2016 12:08 AM

Thanks Brian. The paint came out really nice. The wheels are 18 x 8" +45 offset. Tires are 235/40/18 Conti DWS06. Got door panels installed today as well as most of stuff under hood. Came across a few assembly issues (by body shop) that are going to need to be corrected, but nothing major.Still need to do trunk and finish interior. If your coming to KC this year I may need to get a piece or two from you if you still have what I may need. I haven't been on black market today, but I ordered a set of XS headers the other day, although I haven't gotten any conformation from them yet. (Wonder if I need to look into)

brian6speed 04-03-2016 02:19 PM

Sadly the National Meet this year has been canceled. They might try again in 2017, but who knows. Rather disappointing.

Oldsman71 04-03-2016 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by brian6speed (Post 15718493)
Sadly the National Meet this year has been canceled. They might try again in 2017, but who knows. Rather disappointing.

Any idea why?

brian6speed 04-04-2016 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsman71 (Post 15718626)
Any idea why?

I can PM you about it.

laid67 04-07-2016 01:56 AM

looks really nice. I've always loved that color and it's nice to see one that will be rolling around looking show room fresh.