CL-S Replacement Under $30K

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Rod
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CL-S Replacement Under $30K

Well it’s been quite a while since my last post, but since this forum has been so helpful in the past I thought I would ask you all for some suggestions as to what to get for my next car. Here’s my situation. I had taken about a year off from work to complete my MBA and have been paying off the debt that I racked up during that time in the past few months and I should be completely done paying off my credit cards around July. After that is when I plan to purchase a new car because I don’t want to have car payments again until I manage to pay off my credit cards. I’ve thought about many different possibilities for my next ride, even though some of them are not even out yet, including the following: G3X coupe, M35, IS350, GS350, 330Ci, RL, and MDX. Considering how much all of these cars cost if nicely equipped I figured I should just get a new C6 and that became my top choice. The C6 probably wouldn’t be fully loaded, just the 2LT, but I’ve always wanted a vette and think that I would be better off going the aftermarket route anyway for the sound system and navi. I did some research and I can afford the car along with the insurance, gas, tires, and everything else just fine which is great, but now I don’t know if I want to spend that much money (approximately $45-47K plus taxes) on a car just yet. I figure I can use the money I save by getting something cheaper more productively at this point and get a vette 2 or 3 years down the line when I’m in an even better financial position. So I started looking for cars around the $25K mark that I could live with for a few years, nothing over $30K. Of course, I didn’t find many real options and keep coming up with a V6 Accord EX coupe w/ navi as probably the only contender. Yes, it’s a nice car, just like my CL-S; but after some quick research it appears that Honda continues to equip its cars with transmissions that love to self-destruct and brakes that belong on go-karts so as much as I like its products I just find it difficult to continue to give Honda my business. I don’t want to start a flame Honda thread here, I know all car manufacturers have their problems (hell, I’m considering a GM product), but I just wanted to point out my reasons for not really wanting to go the Honda route if I don’t have to. So my question is what cars under $30K would you guys consider as CL-S replacements? I test drove the new GTI and really liked it, but still think I’d prefer the Accord as my daily driver for the money. I had a TSX loaner for about a week and definitely prefer the Accord coupe; it’s not even an option to me. I think I may also look at the Redline Sky when it comes out, but it is a Saturn and there’s no way in hell I’d pay a premium over MSRP for a car so it’s probably out of the question. My only requirements for the car are that it has a relatively nice and comfortable interior, an automatic tranny, and decent acceleration without having to keep the engine at redline all day. A convertible may make up for the interior though. An added bonus is enough trunk/cargo room for a cooler that holds two twelve packs of Heineken and some ice for beach days. I do not want to keep the CL-S much longer either because I’m at about 85K miles and want to get rid of it before the warranty on the tranny expires and I drive at least 18K miles per year. Any suggestions are welcome and thanks for all your help!
Old 05-09-2006, 03:07 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
If your considering an V6 Accord why wouldn't you just get a 03 CL-S 6MT. That way you know you get a car you like without the tranny problems.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Rod
Drifting

Well that brings up another requirement, I want a new car, not something used. And again, something with an auto, South Florida traffic can be a pain in the ass.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:21 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Whatever you do don't get the VW. I have had 4 VW's previous to my Acura and they are very cheaply made things break on the interior very easy and they have electrical problems. I have a cousin that has an 05 Passat and he has an electrical problem too.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V6 Accord Coupe
Legacy GT
Old 05-09-2006, 03:24 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't know why I'm posting to this cause I like MT. IMO there's isn't much out there under $30k new that I feel could replace the CLS. The Germans are too pricey and/or unreliable, The Asians in this price category gets you maybe a Solara (nice interior), new Camry, Honda Accord coupe, (even those can go over $30k).
If you don't want used, I have no idea, don't like domestics myself.
You're trying to replace a $30k+ car for under $30k and the CLs was a loaded bargain.
For used, get a TL, or a lower miles CLS or a 6MT CLS.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Rod
Drifting

Well I'm not necessarily looking for something that will be the same or better than the CL-S, just something that's close enough to it so that I can live with it for a while and is under warranty so that I don't have to worry about it too much. I actually think the V6 Accord coupe probably surpasses that goal, but I'm looking for alternatives, as I'd think there has to be some more options out there. A V6 Accord EX coupe w/ navi invoices at about $27K, which is what they can be had for, so I'd hope there are alternatives to this car in this price range.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Not Asian

That sure is one shitty post. How about hitting the enter key once in awhile?
Old 05-09-2006, 04:32 PM
I Heart 6 Gears.

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
I don't know why I'm posting to this cause I like MT. IMO there's isn't much out there under $30k new that I feel could replace the CLS. The Germans are too pricey and/or unreliable, The Asians in this price category gets you maybe a Solara (nice interior), new Camry, Honda Accord coupe, (even those can go over $30k).
If you don't want used, I have no idea, don't like domestics myself.
You're trying to replace a $30k+ car for under $30k and the CLs was a loaded bargain.
For used, get a TL, or a lower miles CLS or a 6MT CLS.
I agree..
Old 05-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Racer

I'll tell ya, I REALLY like the looks of the new BMW 330 Coupe with the twin turbo!

Probably more than what you want to spend, but I thought I would throw it our there.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:50 PM
East Coast Boost.!

nothing out impresses me right now,

If I had to thought I would def get AWD
Old 05-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Pro

those subaru legacy's have a very nice interior. i looked at one in the mall and it looked pretty cool. not sure you want a sedan though. they might also have a few mods that are identical with the WRX dunno.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Ricky Bobby

All I can say is good luck out there. I would say for the price range you want to stay under and you want the car not to give you trouble, I would not get a Bimmer. Just me, my past ones were expensive for the car to keep under maintance, for what you get.

I tell you, Honda for the money makes some of the best cars in the world. I am not much of a fan of toyo/lexus, but they make very good cars. Nissan cars are good cars, but the inside of the cars are not are to par with honda/toyota imo.

As many said the new leg. looks really good and there is some mod work to really make them a new car all together.

Good luck on the selection.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:53 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You live in Florida, so WTF do you need fwd?? I say get a 6.0L GTO (slightly used) or a new Mustang GT. Both are faster than any Honda, even when they are equipped with an automatic.

A drop top Mustang GT automatic isnt breathtakingly fast, but the 5 speed auto is very crisp, and the interior is decent. If you dont need the vert I say get a very slightly used 05 GTO. Very quick with the 6.0L, and it hasa very nice interior and good gas mileage.

If I didnt live in the snow belt no f'in way I'd ever own a piddly fwd.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
V6 Accord Coupe
Legacy GT

Both of those would work as they can be had for under 30K...

If you don't want a domestic car (like a mustang) another option is the mazda 6...

oh, shit... this should have been posted in cartalk
Old 05-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Joe5.0
You live in Florida, so WTF do you need fwd??

I live in new england and I don't need FWD. Never understood why people in SoCal or FL find a reason to have FWD. Always confused me...

<--- CLS is my first FWD car in 20 something years of NE driving... 'cept if you count the 84 Olds Ceira wagon I had for about 6 months.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:35 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well I dont NEED a fwd either, but I wouldnt want to drive a performance rwd car in the occasional 6-10" of snow we get a couple times a year. Fwd is just way more predictable in bad weather conditions, such as snow or ice.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Rod
Drifting

FWD is not a requirement for me guys.

I will take a look at the legacy. I read up on it about a year ago but thought it was overpriced at the time. I'll give it another shot though and see what I think as far as how it compares to the Accord.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i agree with greenie on this one with the Mazda6 (or even better the Mazdaspeed6). However, i'd also look into the Nissan line as well, the Altima SE-R is about the same performance wise as the CL (about the same price as well). You also may want to check out the SAAB 9-3, '07 Camry, Solara, G35, 350Z, etc. The only problem is, there really is no car perfect replacement for the CL in overall performance and value. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Drifting

one more you might want to consider: '07 Mitsubishi Eclipse (or the new spyder if you want a convertible) it's got like 263hp and looks decent, but i haven't gotten to drive/ride in one yet
Old 05-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Intermediate

I recently totaled my 94 Camry (bought new) and picked up an 03 CL-S. I don't think I could have found a better overall car for the money. I narrowed it down to the CL or a new Accord V6 coupe. Of course I test drove both, and the Accord is a very nice car, I think I would have been happy with it. But, the CL is just better... It looks better, it drives better, the interior is better, is gets more looks going down the road. I can't say anything bad about my Camry, it lasted over 12 yrs and 148K miles but the looks of the Solara just don't do it for me. I do like the look of the new (07) Camry but again not as much as the CL. I think the Mazda 6 looks good too, but it's not a CL. I suppose if money wasn't a factor I would pick a 6 or 7 series BMW over the CL, but for the money (20K or so vs. 70 or 80K) I think an 03 CL is about the best overall car on the market.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Instructor

go with 04tl navi it's used but u not gonna lose your money cause when you buy a new car is like 30%off when you leave dealer. So if I were you i would buy 04 tl aut navi!!! good luck
Old 05-10-2006, 01:23 AM
SOLD

What is more important? Performance? Luxury? Looks? Reliability? I am young and definitely like fast/good looking things, but I have the CLS because of the whole package. I could have bought a used WRX around the same price if I wanted just performance and reliability. As 03SilverTypeS stated, you will be hard pressed especially for the price range you are looking to find a car better than what you have now. I had an 04TL I bought new before the CLS. If I could go back, I would probably buy a used CLS instead of the 04 TL and save myself a couple thousand just on depreciation. Hell, with the couple thousand saved through depreciation by not buying a new car, you could pay for a new tranny if you really had to even! Looking at the automobile industry (production methods, part and labor costs, recent trends) and market (inflation, demand/supply, retail price), few cars are realistically worth the total price people pay for them IMO, especially new. Vette would be nice, but not quite luxurious or reliable. Of course they look good, but I saw a good looking yet broken down blue corvette on the way to work today... I vote CL

EDIT: My friend has an 03 Accord and my 04TL interior was similar yet much better, the CL interior is better than at least the pre 06 Accord V6 coupes I have seen.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03silvertypeS
The only problem is, there really is no car perfect replacement for the CL in overall performance and value. Good luck!
That is until Acura makes a new coupe

The Accord EX V6 coupe is the closest replacement for a CLS out there... Decent bang for the buck, a little lighter then the CL, little less HP then the CL, but very comparible.

YoungTL just got a new EX V6 6mt, and has a couple of threads over in Cartalk.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Pro

I have had car fever for a few month; but after driving some new models in your price range my 2001 CL-S with 45,000 miles just feels better. Even the a 2005 TL was underwhelming compared to the CL-S. I think the CL-S was cutting edge for its time and still looks and rides like new. Can't justify getting only getting $13-15,000 for the red rocket when the new car will be no better.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally Posted by louisn
I have had car fever for a few month; but after driving some new models in your price range my 2001 CL-S with 45,000 miles just feels better. Even the a 2005 TL was underwhelming compared to the CL-S. I think the CL-S was cutting edge for its time and still looks and rides like new. Can't justify getting only getting $13-15,000 for the red rocket when the new car will be no better.
Well if my CL-S only had 45k miles I'd keep it too, but it's at 85k and by August will be at least at 90k, double what you have. I just don't want to have this car after 100k, so I may hold on to it just a little longer to save up some more cash.

I did like the Mazda 6, but will have to check to see what it's going for now. Is the MazdaSpeed 6 out yet or when will it be out?

I also saw the Altima SE-R at an auto show and liked it, but think I'd rather save a bit more and go for a Maxima. I'll have to give both another look.

As far as the Camry and Solara go, I don't like the styling of either much. I wish I did as they're very reliable cars. Even the new Camry isn't doing much for me, although it is an improvement over the last one. Maybe a new sportier Solara will be released soon.

And as for the TL, I also drove that around for a while and didn't really think it was for me. For the most part the driver's seat is great, especially the dash, but it just felt too big or something. I can't really describe it but it felt like I was driving an old lady's car for some reason, but with an amazing interior setup. I like the TL's interior even more than the RL's.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. But it is tough finding a cheap car nowadays.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Well, I'm done with new cars. I'm never getting a new car again. I'd rather get the same car slightly used or even a demo.

I'd say look at domestic. Mustang, GTO, etc. Alot of them can be had for way under 30K & you get alot of car.
Imports you alwys pay more cause of the so called "reliabilty"
Old 05-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rod
... I did like the Mazda 6, but will have to check to see what it's going for now. Is the MazdaSpeed 6 out yet or when will it be out?
The Mazdaspeed6 is currently available and starts at $28k and has a 274-hp engine and AWD drivetrain. If i was in the market for a new car, i'd definitely go test drive one.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Red/Ebony CLS 6-Spd

After 2 pages of this, I'm starting to think it would be easier helping someone find a perfect date than it is trying to come up with the perfect car. I'm thinking there would be fewer requirements.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the mazdaspeed 6 is a very nice car.

i'm looking into one for myself.

got a quote for a mazdaspeed6 sport at $26,721.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Look at his join date. He probably bought the car in '01, and probably bought it new. So I'm guessing he's tired of the car. Trying to convince him to buy the same car again is kinda pointless. It's the same car, just newer, and with less miles. Same interior and everything.

Originally Posted by 03silvertypeS
the Altima SE-R is about the same performance wise as the CL (about the same price as well).
Actually, that car is faster than our cars. It's a little quicker than the 350Z. But I'd totally rock the Altima SE-R.

My suggestions would be the Legacy GT (Or Legacy STi if they bring it over.) Have you thought of used S4's? They're very powerful, have awesome interiors, and very mod-friendly. And they hold their value very well. Oh, and you can get in an auto.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by All Mine
Actually, that car is faster than our cars. It's a little quicker than the 350Z. But I'd totally rock the Altima SE-R.

yeah, it's a little quicker than a stock CL-S, but with overall features and standard equipment, it's comparable (for a sedan).

Here's the the numbers i found:

2003 Acura 3.2CL Type-S 0-60: 6.5 & 1/4mile: 14.9
2005 Nissan Altima Se-R 0-60: 6.1 & 1/4 mile: 14.8 (C&D Sept '05)
2006 Nissan Altima SE-R 0-60: 5.9 & 1/4mile: 14.5

A CL-S 6 speed w/ a few mods would easily meet or beat a stock Altime SE-R which still isn't bad for a 3 yr old car.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally Posted by All Mine
Look at his join date. He probably bought the car in '01, and probably bought it new. So I'm guessing he's tired of the car. Trying to convince him to buy the same car again is kinda pointless. It's the same car, just newer, and with less miles. Same interior and everything.
Exactly, I'm looking for a little change even though I have enjoyed the CL over the years. I bought it new in December of 2000. I probably would keep the car even longer to save myself some money but don't think it's a good idea keeping it after the 100K mile mark considering I'm on at least my fourth tranny.

The good thing is I still have some time before actually needing to get a new car and will be able to research and test drive some of the cars mentioned on this post so far. I may stay under $30, may go up to $35k, or may just say screw it and go for the vette. It's all up in the air at this point, but maybe some of the new models coming out in the fall will spark some more interest.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:07 AM
Intermediate

I test drove an 2006 Accord V6 coupe, a 2006 Civic coupe, a 2006 RSX, a 2006 TSX, a 2003 TL-S, and a 2003 CL-S. As you can tell from my handle I went with the CL. The 03 TL was nice but I wanted 2 doors instead of 4. Same problem with the 06 TSX, and it felt under powered. I was debating between the 06 Accord and 03 CL. There are quite a few similarities in the interior, but the CL is nicer, especially the seats. Looks are in the eye of the beholder, but I feel the CL looks much better too. If you're in between a 06 Accord V6 coupe and a CL I don't think you can go wrong, each car is great, but I think you would be very happy in a CL. I did buy certified from a dealer, so I paid more but the warranty is nice... Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Banned

2003 CLS/6SP/NAVI is the way to go
Old 05-11-2006, 05:32 AM
Three Wheelin'