Bucking when feathering gas and RPM jump when clutch pushed in

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Bucking when feathering gas and RPM jump when clutch pushed in

While driving if I take my foot off the gas ~1 second later the car jerks a bit then coast normally and then when I press the gas again the car jerks as I reapply the gas the lower the gear the more noticeable and it happens at any speed

When shifting gears, I take my foot off the gas then when I push the clutch in my RPMS jump ~150-500 before falling, the slower I shift the less it jumps. Just to be clear I am completely taking my foot off the gas before I clutch in. If I take my foot off the gas and wait more than 2 seconds before pushing the clutch in the RPMS do not jump.

Also when driving in gear and releasing the gas allowing the car to coast, the car coasts smoothly until it slows down to ~1000RPM (regardless of which gear, more violent the lower the gear though) the car bucks 3-4 times then reaches idle speed 750RPM and it smoothly coasts again.

I feel like all three of these are related and it's driving me crazy trying to figure out what it could be. Recently replaced IACV, cleaned IM and TB with no luck. After searching google for hours the only other thing I could come up with is the TPS but I'm not sure how to even check it. I have no CEL btw
Old 10-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
RPM jump is normal.

Other stuff sounds kind of normal too. Obviously the car will buck before it stalls out? You shouldn't be in gear at 750 rpm.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
The dual mass flywheel makes the RPM's jump up on shifting. Normal operation. The bucking at low RPM is normal as well. Both my 6MT's did that. TPS is ECU controlled. If it's idles ok it wouldn't be that.
You could replace your 02 sensors. If they have a lot of miles on them it couldn't hurt. They normally do not give codes unless there's a major failure.

Last edited by fuzzy02CLS; 10-15-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:43 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Bucking could likely be from your front, rear or both torque dampers. I removed mine so have the same problem. Rpm increase is normal
Old 10-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Instructor

ok glad to see the rpm jump is normal, when I took it to get looked over after I bought it the mechanic made it seem like a really bad thing and that it shouldnt be doing that, It is kind of annoying to have to wait for the rpms to come back down before shifting but if it is in fact normal I can live with it.

Any way to check the torque dampers? the bucking seems to be a bit extreme, definitely annoying for any passengers, this is my first manual car so I'm still trying to wrap my head around whats normal and what's not. The jerkiness from letting off and on the gas does seem excessive though, if I look over I can see my passenger jerk with the car

For the 02 sensors is there anything I can do to check or clean them? Just want to try the cheapest route before dropping ~$300 on a new pair. Judging from some of my symptoms they do seem like they could be a likely candidate

and thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate any that I can get
Old 10-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

The motors mounts may be shot. They tend to die every 60K miles or so. Do a search on them. There are replacement options.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Instructor

my mounts are good, atleast from looking at the front at side ones, havent been able to get a view of the rear. The front and side are innovative mounts and still look fresh. There does feel to be some play with the engine though, like sometimes when I floor it then punch the clutch in before it reaches redline it kind of feels the the engine "falls back into place" it doesnt seem to happen consistently though
Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 AM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
It's something to get used to imo . I can and I'm so can most everyone else clean shift and quick shift just fine with the way the rpms jump . It's different but it's fine .
Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 AM
In search of excitement

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
What seem to be the best replacement options for the motor mounts?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 AM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
John you'll prob wanna read the motor mount thread .
Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Instructor

yeah Im getting use to it now that I have accepted it's normal

does anyone have a picture of their engine bay with the front torque damper still in place? I think mine is missing. Also what is the benefit of even removing them?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Instructor

so while my car was jacked up from changing my radius rod bushing I noticed something that i'm pretty certain is related to my bucking/jerking

With the tires off the ground and the car engaged in first, whenever I rotate the wheels by hand I could feel the exact jerk as when I am driving and letting on and off the gas. It's like there's some slack in the drivetrain or differential since that is the only thing that is actually moving. For example, I grab the wheel and start to spin it, it spins for a split second before I hear a type of clunk sound as I feel the wheel kind of stumble as it rotates. I can repeat this every time I stop spinning the wheel and start again or if I change directions. It is the same "stumble/jerk" feeling I experience when I apply gas after coasting or when I let off the gas.

Also if i'm at a complete stop and I engage the clutch to go into gear I hear and feel the same clunk that would feel as slack is being taken up before I actually start moving
Old 10-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Shit sounds broken yo.

Have all the related parts checked out by a mechanic. CV joints, suspension parts, etc.

Worst case, something might be wrong with your trans.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Instructor

I just gotta find a competent mechanic around here in my rural college town, everyone I've been to so far it's like I know more about the car than them I would pay good money to know all the things wrong with the car and what I need to fix. I plan on keeping the car for awhile since there isn't anything else I like for under $17k and worth upgrading to
Old 10-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Could have a bad axle. Not uncommon. Heavy FWD car with power. Would cause clunks when you get on & off the gas in gear.
Get OEM from the dealer or dealers parts site. The reliability of after market ones at your auto stores have not been good.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:11 PM
C-STYL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been putting up with the same symptoms with my CL for the last 2-3 years and can't figure it out either. I just recently replaced clutch/flywheel along with front/side motor mounts and trans mounts. Drives better but I still get the bucking, just not as bad as if it's stiffer but didn't address the core problem. My mechanic thinks it could be axle related. At this point I can't really help you but your CL isn't the only one out there doing this. I should be seeing my mechanic in the next couple of weeks and I'll have him drive my car to see what he thinks. One more thing... do you find every so often (maybe 1 in 25 drives) the bucking stops and the car drives SMOOTH? Mine does.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm having the same problems. I just figured it was due to the dual-mass flywheel. I've been stick since before I could legally drive, so I know whats normal and what isn't (I like to think anyway lol) and if its not uncomfortable, its probably not an issue.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Instructor

wow ok I'm glad it's really not just me, was actually starting to think it's something I just wasn't use to yet with the car being my first manual. It honestly really bothers me but I've been trying my best to ignore it. I absolutely love this car, this bucking is truly the only issue im having and it's driving me crazy not knowing what it is so I can work towards fixing it to make the car perfect

Originally Posted by C-STYL
One more thing... do you find every so often (maybe 1 in 25 drives) the bucking stops and the car drives SMOOTH? Mine does.
Sometimes for a short time, the bucking does ease up a bit, it doesn't completely stop for me but it is a lot less severe to the point where it's barely even noticeable and then sometimes it's really bad to the point where I notice it makes my passenger jerk a bit.

I have a feeling it's gotta be either something axle related or something going on with the differential