Brand new rotor grinding/uneven wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new rotor grinding/uneven wear

Hey all,

First post on this forum. I just replaced all the rotors and pads in my 03 Acura CL. The rear driver's side had been grinding since I got the car, so I removed the wheel to take a look and found nothing odd on either the rotor and the pads. Still, I had already bought new pads and rotors because it needed to be done regardless, so I went ahead and replaced them. That was last night, and already it's back to making the same grinding noise, only now there are clear signs of uneven wear. The rotor has a strip going all the way around the outer edge about an inch thick that's a different color than the rest of the rotor surface (see pics). The pads also show uneven wearing with a different colored strip along the outer edge of the pad that lines up with the strip on the rotor. Just to be clear, I have turned the wheel hub without the rotor installed and with it- no grinding at all. Only grinds after installing the pads.

The fronts don't do it at all, and I haven't gotten down and dirty in the rear passenger side yet but I can see through the wheel that the rotor has the same strip as the one I just described, although as far as I know it doesn't grind like the driver's side. When installing I hit the rotors with brake clean to take off that rust preventing film it comes with from the manufacturer, but in my hurry I didn't think to spray the back side so I only did the fronts. I didn't wipe it with a rag either. I can't imagine this is the cause but I can't think of anything else I didn't do right. I've also heard something about lubing the caliper pins so they don't seize and keep the pads constantly compressed. I don't think this is my problem either because the pads grind as soon as I place them into the support bracket before even installing the caliper. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Brand new rotor grinding/uneven wear-img_3722.jpg   Brand new rotor grinding/uneven wear-img_3721.jpg   Brand new rotor grinding/uneven wear-img_3723.jpg   Brand new rotor grinding/uneven wear-img_3720.jpg  
Old 09-30-2017, 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
You have a sticking caliper.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:05 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wheel spins with barely/no resistance and the piston wasn't hard to compress at all. Can it still be sticking without these symptoms?
Old 10-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
did you clean off the areas where the retainer clip/tab sit ? I had some oxidation built up on mine that would cause the pad to drag more than usual on the rear calipers..