Battery Trouble. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I Blaze Up In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Battery Trouble. HELP!!

OK, so today I was unbolting my battery terminal connectors to reset my ECU and to clean the terminals. While unbolting them the positive battery terminal connector(red), itbroke and I replaced it with a lead one from PepBoys. I know the stock one is copper or brass but lead was all they had. After replacing it I tried to start the car but it wouldnt crank. If I put it on the start(II) position the radio, navi and cluster all work but when I try to actually start the engine it doesnt start.

So I started thinking why it wouldnt crank and the only thing I can think of is that the lead termianl connector isnt conductive enough to crank the engine. I know the positive terminal is for the starter so if the battery is giving enough power to start the radio/navi but not crank the starter the only thing I can think of is I need to upgrade to a copper terminal connector.

Also, when I jump start the car, the engine starts. And that just further confirms my theory that the lead connector isnt conductive enough

Any input? What is the stock connector made of, is it copper or brass?

Immediate help would be appreciated, im going on a road trip tomorrow so I need to fix this ASAP!

Thnx
-Mark
Old 04-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
It's not a problem with the material not being conductive. THe terminal end you're discribing is the same material that most battery posts are made of.

Possibly your battery got discharged or is weak. After you jump it and let the car run, does it turn over and start? Also, did you clean the cable and get a good connection when you bolted the terminal end on?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:56 AM
I Blaze Up In

Originally Posted by Allout
It's not a problem with the material not being conductive. THe terminal end you're discribing is the same material that most battery posts are made of.

Possibly your battery got discharged or is weak. After you jump it and let the car run, does it turn over and start? Also, did you clean the cable and get a good connection when you bolted the terminal end on?

After I jumped it I let it run for about 10minutes and then took it for a 20minute drive. I came back home, shut it off and tried to restart it and nothing, it wouldnt start. I cleaned the cable, there was a solid layer of battery acid on the cabele so I filed it down until I reached bare metal to ensure good contact and it still wont work.

I thought that the lead wasnt conductive enough to get the correct amount of power out of the battery that the starter needs. I assumed that if lead was good enough, then Acura would have used lead instead of the brass/copper that my car has.

Some more help guys! Im goin to see my old highschool autoshop teacher to see what he says, maybe he can help me out.

-Mark
Old 04-24-2009, 07:10 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Just from watching a lot of discovery channel, i know that using different metals for the terminals will effect the conductivity of the battery. They use certain metals on batteries because they will provide the most AMPS or VOLTS or whatever. So it could be that the battery won't give you enough juice now to turn the car over, but enough for the radio etc. But on the other hand it does sound like the battery could be dying...go have a shop read how much life you battery has left.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Racer

Try buying a gold terminal connector from autozone, I believe its fifteen dollars. Its pretty big and has 4 connections 2 4ga and 2 8ga, its used for Hooking up your amp directly to your battery and costs 15 dollars. If thats not it I would guess you need a new battery
Old 04-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Advanced

Sounds like your battery is dead - and because you were cleaning the terminals etc it sounds like you were having cranking problems beforehand.

Replace the battery and make sure your connections are good.

Lead Connectors should be the least of your problems.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I Blaze Up In

I got it all sorted out. Went to Sears and they tested my battery, and found out that it was dead. They replaced it for free cuz it was under warranty and im all good to go. Although the guy at sears did say that the stock terminal connector was more conductive than the replacement lead one I got from pepboys. So I might just replace the entire Positive harness, its only $40 and a simple job.

Thnx for the help guys
-Mark