Another SRS light thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Another SRS light thread

I tried resetting the SRS light from all the other threads using the paperclip method. However I can't get the SRS light to shut off in the first initial step--the light SHOULD turn off after 6 seconds, right? It won't shut off after those 6 seconds.

Did this happen to anyone else? Should I try buying one of those service connectors (~$25) assuming I didn't connect the paperclip correctly, or just say fuggit and take it to the dealer and hope it's something under warranty?
Old 05-07-2017, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,391 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
I tried resetting the SRS light from all the other threads using the paperclip method. However I can't get the SRS light to shut off in the first initial step--the light SHOULD turn off after 6 seconds, right? It won't shut off after those 6 seconds.
Here is the proper reset procedure:
Originally Posted by 01acls
Here's the pic and instructions together.

Did this happen to anyone else? Should I try buying one of those service connectors (~$25) assuming I didn't connect the paperclip correctly, or just say fuggit and take it to the dealer and hope it's something under warranty?
Do it right and be done with, go to the dealer, IMHO.

Here is a copy of the warranty extension. It is very possible that you are out of the warranty period; however, if your drivers belt buckle is defective and the cause of your SRS light coming on, Acura should replace it under the lifetime warranty. They did for me, my OPDS was fine and the belt buckle was defective; however, be prepared to fight for it, depending on how difficult the Service wizards want to be. Use the S/B 06-008 information below to reinforce your argument if they are 'dicks' about it.

Originally Posted by TOPHER33884
Enjoy, and let Honda/Acura Inc. pay for your problem!
SRS indicator light Warranty Extension
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DATE: April 5, 2006
TO: All Acura Sales, Service & Parts Managers
RE: Warranty Extension Announcement

On March 2, 2006, we announced an OPDS (occupant position detection system) warranty extension for certain 2001–03 3.2CLs, 2001–02 MDXs, 1999–03 3.5RLs, selected 2004 RLs, 2002–04 RSXs, and 2000–03 3.2TLs.

Some affected vehicles may have a problem with the OPDS that causes the SRS indicator to stay on with one or more SRS DTCs. To ensure continued reliability with the OPDS, affected vehicles have an extended warranty on the OPDS unit and the OPDS sensor. These parts are now covered for 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Customer Notification

Approximately 480,000 vehicles are affected by this warranty extension. Notifications will start mailing on April 7, 2006, at a rate of 5,000 letters per day, and will span a 60-day period.

Even though the daily mail rate is quite large, it will have little or no impact on your service department because the only vehicles needing inspection and/or possible repair are those returned by clients with the specific complaint of an SRS indicator that won’t go off. For detailed repair, VIN, and warranty information, see S/B 06-008, Warranty Extension: OPDS Unit or OPDS Sensor Triggers SRS DTC(s) 15-1, 15-2, 15-3.
Thank you.

Last edited by zeta; 05-07-2017 at 09:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rapture (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Safety Car

Yeah I can't get the SRS light to turn off in the first place (Step #2)

I was under the impression that the light should turn off (in step #2) regardless even if there is a legit malfunction Is this true? I still want to see if there is some way to reset it the way others have done since I'm irrationally afraid I could take it to the dealer and they would want to replace that OPDS even if there is no malfunction. I'm sure I won't be covered by that extended warranty, either
Old 05-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

I was under the impression that the light should turn off (in step #2) regardless even if there is a legit malfunction Is this true?
FYI, you have to be quick (like 4 seconds), between steps 2; 3; and 4 to get a proper outcome.

Yes, the light should turn off, that is the result I got every time I followed the procedure; however, I had 'sprung' for the SCS service connector 07PAZ-0010100 to make the process easier. I figured out, over time, what would cause the SRS light to come on and avoided those scenarios to minimize its reoccurrence. My SRS light would come on when I did the following:

1) After pulling the car to a stop, if I left the seat belt connected, while sitting in the seat, and turned the ignition off, say to talk on the phone, and then restarted the car to start to drive again, the dam light would stay on.

2) On a cold start, if I connected the seat belt before I started the car, the SRS light would stay on.

Do you see the common link there between the two above?

Once I figured it out, I would try and avoid doing those things, over the years, to avoid the hassle of the reset, which became less frequent.

Then when Honda sent out that letter above, I thought here is a good time to get this dam thing fixed on their 'dole'. If it were the OPDS ($173), which it was not, they would have to fix it. While they were testing the SRS system with the Honda PGM tester, they found DTC-9-3; Faulty driver's side belt buckle switch ($73). They ordered it and I had to come back a week later and they installed it. No problems since.

I still want to see if there is some way to reset it the way others have done since I'm irrationally afraid I could take it to the dealer and they would want to replace that OPDS even if there is no malfunction. I'm sure I won't be covered by that extended warranty, either
lol, yeah, that would suck and be awful shady of them. Either way, if you go to the dealer, they will get you for a diagnostic charge, at the minimum. You may want to just 'roll the dice' and spring for the seat belt buckle assembly and install it yourself; however, you would still need to erase the SRS DTC memory to get the SRS light off.

Something to think about, if you have not had your old takata 'airbag inflator' replaced with the new one under the recent recall, that would perhaps get you a free SRS code read, to see if your OPDS is f*cked OR you have DTC 9-3, then go from there.

As you know, one thing is certain, as long as that SRS light remains on, you have no airbag system functionality.

Last edited by zeta; 05-07-2017 at 06:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rapture (07-26-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you in the U.S.? Unfortunately us Canucks are not covered under the warranty extension for the seat belt buckle sensor. There is a fix where you open up the buckle and clean the sensor, but unfortunately I have been unable to remove the safety screws in the buckle (even had a shop try and they couldn't).

One thing about the paperclips (I was just resetting the SRS light again last week after I turned car on with seatbelt on), Make sure they are inserted in the correct part of the connector. I wasn't making correct electrical contact with the paperclip and the connector initially the first few times I went to reset it last week.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:33 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
just pick up a buckle from the junkers. There's a place in Markham that always has lots of CLs and TLs. Greenlane auto parts or something like that. They have ads of kijiji.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gurot1
Unfortunately us Canucks are not covered under the warranty extension for the seat belt buckle sensor.
The 'warranty extention' shown in post #2 was for the OPDS (occupant position detection system) only.

You guys in Canada should still have the 'Lifetime seat belt warranty' in effect for your cars, which would cover the 'seat belt buckle', if it is found to be defective.

The kicker is, if you have a defective seat belt buckle, that sets off the occasional 'SRS light', you have to take it in and pay the 'diagnostic' charge for it to be diagnosed correctly by Acura, then they warranty the part.

When the OPDS warranty was in effect, one could use that, in the lower 48, to get the car into Acura for a check of that system for free, IIRC, they found the code for the defective belt buckle in the SRS memory when they were checking the OPDS, and that is how I got the buckle fixed.

Last edited by zeta; 05-25-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gnuts
just pick up a buckle from the junkers. There's a place in Markham that always has lots of CLs and TLs. Greenlane auto parts or something like that. They have ads of kijiji.
thanks for the heads up, I will try them out sometime when I up in GTA.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Safety Car

Forgot to update. I got it to turn off. I tried the paperclip method but I guess I couldn't get both ends of it to connect to both terminals in the plug. I splurged $36 on that connecter (piece of plastic with a U-shaped wire.... $36) and got it to turn off on the first try. It took me awhile to find an online OEM parts shop that still sells the connector, since it's been discontinued...

Then the light came back on

Originally Posted by zeta

1) After pulling the car to a stop, if I left the seat belt connected, while sitting in the seat, and turned the ignition off, say to talk on the phone, and then restarted the car to start to drive again, the dam light would stay on.
^^That being the reason why It happened after I stopped to fill up with gas. I live in a state where we have station attendants, so I stayed buckled. Noticed immediately when the light stayed on.

I have another timing belt service coming up in a month or two, maybe since I now know it's the seatbelt buckle, I can just intentionally set it off then get the dealer to fix that too.

and thanks for the help, everyone
Old 07-26-2017, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the confirmation.

With the expense of upcoming TB service, they (the dealer) should have no problem forgoing the 'dianostic' fee to check the SRS system code.
They will replace it , the buckle, for free.