AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G CL (2001-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/)
-   -   Another... My New 2003 CL-S 6-speed (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/another-my-new-2003-cl-s-6-speed-978044/)

smcafee 03-18-2019 11:53 AM

Another... My New 2003 CL-S 6-speed

Just purchased a silver 03 6 speed with 260k miles. Very clean ... about all it needs is a replacement drivers seat cover, and probably struts and some freshening here and there. All original and unmolested. I've always wanted a CL (no spoiler, no nav, no mods) but settled for two G2 TLs over the last few years, which have been very satisfying to own and drive. I'm in OC and it's in Tucson, so it will be a two or three weeks before I fly out to drive it back home (Shipping is rather expensive).
  • Does anyone have a source for an OEM fog light kit?
  • Also the shift knob leather is wearing away - I think that can be restored.
  • There is one small dent that PDR should be able to take care of.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...2a2ddbdb73.jpg

R J Poseidon 6 03-18-2019 01:26 PM

Congrats!!

What a bueaut!

Have you checked the Black Market?
Tons of goodies....

TheWeez 03-18-2019 07:19 PM

The OEM fogs do nothing. They're really worthless. But if you really want them, just hit all the OEM part numbers for them from the dealer. They're all part of the accessory light system. Gonna cost you about $125 (plus shipping if you go the online route or tax if you go to a local dealer).

smcafee 03-18-2019 10:45 PM

Thanks RPJ6.

TheWeez, I agree they are low-performance lights, but I like the integrated look. I'll prob update the lights with the harness and switch from LKQ. Need to do some searches for lens/bulb update ideas.

4cruizn 03-19-2019 02:38 PM

Sweet ride, congrats! It's very familiar - my friend Matt sold one here in AZ with around that mileage not long ago. I wonder if it's his old one...

smcafee 03-20-2019 06:45 PM

TheWeez, it's possible. According to the Carfax, shows two owners with sale dates of 2002 (new and kept for 15.5 years) and 2017 (1 year and 3 months ago) with 210,818 miles.

Let me know if this was Matt's CL. I would really like some history.

smcafee 03-20-2019 07:12 PM

Oooop... meant to address to 4Cruizn and not TheWeez.

smcafee 03-23-2019 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by 4cruizn (Post 16400352)
Sweet ride, congrats! It's very familiar - my friend Matt sold one here in AZ with around that mileage not long ago. I wonder if it's his old one...

My seller did not register it so I have the original's owner's info, who was Nicolas S. in Tucson in March 2019, and not your friend Matt.

It turned 222,222 on the drive home to Irvine. It is solid but very tired. Reverse is MIA and the shift linkage is like a spoon in a bowl of pudding. Struts are blown but still handles very well. I'll post pics and plans soon.

Midnight Mystery 03-24-2019 03:07 AM

:precious: I freaking love it! :love:

:scratch: Hmmm....

:ninja: :thief:

whitetiger5 03-24-2019 05:49 PM

The seller didn't register it because the tracked the hell out of it and killed the syncromesh in the process? ;)

Any plans for swapping in a new transmission?

smcafee 03-25-2019 11:12 AM

Well, let's hope that's not the case. Is there any reason to believe that that is what occurred? (reverse doesn't typically have a syncho).

whitetiger5 03-25-2019 01:53 PM

I'm just speculating worst case scenario based on the info that it was never registered by the second owner. :)

I'm looking forward to hearing about your plans! I recently brought my 02 Tl back from the dead so it's good to see someone else close by who's keeping another 2G car going!

smcafee 03-26-2019 01:26 PM

Gotcha... It does bring up a good point. I'm thinking the seller was speculating that he could flip it for a fast profit. As it turned out I paid 1k less that his ask. I would break-even at worst as a part-out.

I absolute hate seeing a clean and undamaged TL or CL at the salvage yard, probably donated, and needing a mechanical fix. For me, these are the *perfect* Hondas but then again they made tons of them (CLS6 being an exception).

Building my shopping list for a trip to LKQ this weekend. Topping the list is a perforated leather drivers seat cover (TL might be adaptable to the CL).

smcafee 04-25-2019 12:04 AM

I replaced the shift cables and shifter with OEM parts and the difference is night and day. Shifting is tight and well-detented. Not quite Miata-perfect but close.
Also scored a new OEM shift knob for $125 to replace the heavily worn knob.
Still no reverse gear (grinds the pops out) - prob the selector lever inside the trans or the gears are just stripped.
The gears are rather narrow and it probably doesn't take much effort to strip them.
So I'm going to pull the gearbox (prob the entire engine/tans/cradle) and see what's going on inside, and clean and reseal the engine.

zeta 04-25-2019 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by smcafee (Post 16416275)
So I'm going to pull the gearbox (prob the entire engine/tans/cradle) and see what's going on inside, and clean and reseal the engine.

It would be interesting to hear what you find and what was involved, part wise, in regards to the 'reverse grind'.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...ear-shaft-scat

In addition, while you are in the tranny, it may be prudent at 260K miles, replace the differential bearings as well. :dunno:

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...ferential-scat

JDM CLS6 05-05-2019 10:40 AM

Good to see another rare gem. I got mine in 2012 with 157k miles. As of now I have 306k on the same transmission. I did replace the motor at 212k but that was my fault when I over revved. Car still runs good with all the miles and my aggressive driving.
As for the foglights, I order the OEM road lamps and the accessories that came with it. They're pointless IMO but I'm thinking of getting the 07 accord couple fog lights and use HIDs in those. (May have to do some trimming of the plastic part to make it fit perfectly in our bumper)