Alpha Werks Installation Review & Listed Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 03:17 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpha Werks Installation Review & Listed Problems

Alright guys,

I know you have been waiting for me to install my headers...I admit I was being a pussy about installing them because I was afraid something going horribly wrong.. Throughout the install process that feeling hit me a few times but worked it out..

Here's a Little Review.

Pros:
- Cheap price for sufficient gains ($600 Excelerate GroupBuy)
- The welds were very good and I didnt have to clean it out or anything
- The Insides were well done!
- Gasket it came with was nice w/ a cusion (better than stock)

Cons:
- The Install was a bitch! (you would need a 2-3 people to help ya)
- Getting everything to meet and align together was a pain in the ass.
- It must be perfect of you have an exhaust leak!

Problems:
- The holes for the bolts on the flanges were not large enough for the bolts to slip through easily. We had to drill out the hole and widen them a bit. (Just the 2 on the far left & right on both)
- We had to smoothin the edges and sides on the Flanges where it connects to the engine itself.
- Once everything was bolted we came with an exhaust leak on the rear side of the headers because instead of coming in a straight angle they were slanted so we had to adjust the headers repeatedly to make sure the leak was filled. We got them to fit just perfectly to fit where there was not exhaust leak after we adjusted the front headers so the pipe would bend a a bit of an angle to fit on the rear headers.
- Also when attaching the bolts on the headers they would not lock instead keep spinning on both sides so we had to get someone to hold on both sides of the bolt and have one person turn them...until they were tight enough..

So Overall I love the new sound of the car when I crank it up and rev it..sounds much more mean. The gains are sufficient...I haven't dyno'd it and not planning on it until I have my exhaust bolted on so I can get the full effect.

In Conclusion:

There are still a few problems in the headers luckily I didnt run into anythign serious that required welding and the install process was about 3 1/2 - 4 hours because of the widening of the holes and aligning everything up correctly. I would recommend these headers for people who are looking for Comptech but cannot afford them or get a hold of some used Comptech Headers. They are worth it and dyno's from Alpha Werks show the gains are very similar!

Old 03-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

'bout time you installed them.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
yea, seriously, sounds like your install went exactly like mine..

but see how worth it the headers are?! they make a huge difference imo

glad u finally gathered up the courage to put em in... did a board member help you? or did you pay?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:51 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by Red-CL
'bout time you installed them.
Yeah I know took enough time right?

Originally Posted by CLean B
yea, seriously, sounds like your install went exactly like mine..

but see how worth it the headers are?! they make a huge difference imo

glad u finally gathered up the courage to put em in... did a board member help you? or did you pay?
Well I did it at a shop, but we worked on it together....

I didnt really get anyone form the board to help me but ToughGuy (1st Gen) had his CL there for getting his suspension installed (Shocks, Springs, Camber Kits)...and I ran into him and said hey and stuff he's a really cool guy and his gf is pretty cool too. They both have CL's...
Old 03-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VeeralS05

Cons:
- The Install was a bitch! (you would need a 2-3 people to help ya)
damn...needed that many people to install headers? kinda lame. since it was just a buddy and me to install his headers.

and for the price...damn...kinda pricey for shit that dont 'exactly fit'. but nice to hear you got them in.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:19 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by typeSb00st
damn...needed that many people to install headers? kinda lame. since it was just a buddy and me to install his headers.

and for the price...damn...kinda pricey for shit that dont 'exactly fit'. but nice to hear you got them in.
Well 2 people to get the adjustments right to fit perfectly and 3rd to hold the flashlight :-p it was around 8 at night soo it was dark...

Well they did fit...the price isnt that bad if your looking for something with gains like comptechs and for a cheaper price...if you cant afford the comptechs...cause I'm completely happy with them and love em...I dont regret going through the install without comptechs at all
Old 03-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Pro

mine fit perfectly...
Old 03-23-2005, 03:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uhm... I installed my headers on my first gen myself, but I had a little help from my local shop to break loose 2 bolts between teh stock exhaust manifold and the cat, and the most I had ever done before that was install my intake. lol, it wasn't too tough, but I do agree that I was a little worried at first. these bolt on installations are surprisingly easy, but since most of those bolts are rusted on it's sometimes a real bitch getting them off.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:09 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
uhm... I installed my headers on my first gen myself, but I had a little help from my local shop to break loose 2 bolts between teh stock exhaust manifold and the cat, and the most I had ever done before that was install my intake. lol, it wasn't too tough, but I do agree that I was a little worried at first. these bolt on installations are surprisingly easy, but since most of those bolts are rusted on it's sometimes a real bitch getting them off.
yeah...Gotta love those air tools
Old 03-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Pro

so did you run into any problems with the 02 sensor touching the oil pan? And from your post am i correct to say that you used the gaskets they came with, not the original factory ones? And oh give us a seat of the pants dyno...does it pull better in the higher rpm's now...thanks veerals05!
Old 03-25-2005, 09:53 PM
What, me drive fast?

Do you have any resonance? I have OBX (used) and they took a bit of love going from one CL to another so I forgive a lot of the fitment issues that everyone says they have. I do have a resonance and I assume it is because the OBX are a bit thinner than they should be. It is a very specific resonance and t doesn't bother me so much anymore. I get an extra 20-25hp at the wheels according to that day's dyno but the resonance ONLY at 2500rpm makes me still regret it a little. You learn to drive quicker off the line just to avoid the hum that last for 2 seconds! Good luck with the headers. They make a HUGE difference!
Old 03-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Pro

hmm maybe it might a TL or the batch of headers that I got... everything fit perfectly, but at the end, the 02 sensor was too close to the oil pan cause the connector hole on the collector (from headers to cat) was drilled at the wrong angle slightly so when the 02 sensor is connected it was touching the oil pan. It took another our to sand and weld down the connector and finally it fit. I hope i dont get any exhaust leaks...that would suck!
Old 03-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Intermediate

VeeralS05,

Glad to hear that in the end everything turned out well with the headers. Did you take any pictures of the install? I want to make sure that if there were any problems, no matter how minor that they are addressed personally as we truly value all of our customers.

In the end I am glad that you love the product. Because I put my time in on my end in putting this particular project together.

As for all of you 6-Speeder's we have developed a header for the
6-MT models. We expect the R+D to be done including all the dynos and test fits and ready to go out the door to general public sales on sale the first week of July. It will take a bit but the pricing will be the same as the automatic (give or take $25), and the gains should in fact be about 10% more than the automatics.

Best regards,
Victor D.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by gingerbread
mine fit perfectly...

Same here.

No problems at all.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by MQMH_03
so did you run into any problems with the 02 sensor touching the oil pan? And from your post am i correct to say that you used the gaskets they came with, not the original factory ones? And oh give us a seat of the pants dyno...does it pull better in the higher rpm's now...thanks veerals05!
No problems at all with the oil pan or anything...

Yes I did use the gaskets the headers came with...

The pull is alot better...I love the sound throughout the whole RPM range from 2000-6900...its alot better...it pulls alot harder when you hit 4500...

I deffinately recommend them...its worth $600 for these
Originally Posted by blackmagiCL_S
Do you have any resonance? I have OBX (used) and they took a bit of love going from one CL to another so I forgive a lot of the fitment issues that everyone says they have. I do have a resonance and I assume it is because the OBX are a bit thinner than they should be. It is a very specific resonance and t doesn't bother me so much anymore. I get an extra 20-25hp at the wheels according to that day's dyno but the resonance ONLY at 2500rpm makes me still regret it a little. You learn to drive quicker off the line just to avoid the hum that last for 2 seconds! Good luck with the headers. They make a HUGE difference!
Yeah I have a little hum...but I like it

Originally Posted by Nexusindustry
VeeralS05,

Glad to hear that in the end everything turned out well with the headers. Did you take any pictures of the install? I want to make sure that if there were any problems, no matter how minor that they are addressed personally as we truly value all of our customers.

In the end I am glad that you love the product. Because I put my time in on my end in putting this particular project together.

As for all of you 6-Speeder's we have developed a header for the
6-MT models. We expect the R+D to be done including all the dynos and test fits and ready to go out the door to general public sales on sale the first week of July. It will take a bit but the pricing will be the same as the automatic (give or take $25), and the gains should in fact be about 10% more than the automatics.

Best regards,
Victor D.
Problems just the holes in the flanges needed to be a bit larger so they would slide on perfectly...other than that they were pretty much perfect...

I did have some pictures but I cant seem to find them the only one I have found is the one of them on my car after the install, which is in my webshots..search for VeeralS05...

Glad the 6speeds got them in now...
Old 03-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Pro

hmmm yeah victor, the o2 sensor when it was screwed into place was hitting the oil pan cause of the angle and height of the hole within the collector section of the piping...i don't know if its cause I have a TLS, but arent the CLS and TLS engines specs and exhaust piping/manifolds the same?