Aftermarket/Performance Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 04:50 PM
MusiuCL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket/Performance Transmission

Hello all 2G CL owners I have a 2003 CLS and have run into the dreaded transmission issue for the second time. The good this is that the second tranny lasted 90,000 miles. I'm making this thread basically to see if anyone knows of a good aftermarket tranny. Specifically a sequential auto. I have the 5 speed auto at the moment.
The following users liked this post:
Lance10 (06-24-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Sorry, no such a critter. Your best (and pretty much only) option for putting a better than stock transmission in your car is to source a transmission from a 2006-2007 V6 Honda Accord with a manufacturing code of BAYA. Do a search here, there are plenty of threads on the issue and the swap.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:49 PM
MusiuCL

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Sorry, no such a critter. Your best (and pretty much only) option for putting a better than stock transmission in your car is to source a transmission from a 2006-2007 V6 Honda Accord with a manufacturing code of BAYA. Do a search here, there are plenty of threads on the issue and the swap.
Yeah I've read up on the AV6 swap I just want something that 100% bulletproof no matter how much power I throw at it. Is it possible to drop the lsd in the AV6 tranny??
Old 02-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by Nobel Del Mar
Yeah I've read up on the AV6 swap I just want something that 100% bulletproof no matter how much power I throw at it. Is it possible to drop the lsd in the AV6 tranny??
Have you tried a 6 Speed Manual transmission?
Old 02-19-2019, 06:13 PM
MusiuCL

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Have you tried a 6 Speed Manual transmission?
Yeah I've looked into the 6 speed swap and it's kinda expensive but I'm trying to stay auto with this build I got a 5 speed ek civic that I'm using for a turbo build. It would be sick if the 6 speed auto that was in the 4th gen TL would work but idk of anyone that's tried or if it's even possible.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Senior Moderator

It won't

AV6 is your best option.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:18 PM
MusiuCL

Originally Posted by thoiboi
It won't

AV6 is your best option.
Damn. Do you know if the lsd will drop into the AV6 tranny??
Old 02-19-2019, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Nobel Del Mar
Damn. Do you know if the lsd will drop into the AV6 tranny??
Do a search on google but add site:acurazine.com to it like so: https://www.google.com/search?q=av6+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

a few threads on it
Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 AM
I Wanna Beer

Received 107 Likes on 87 Posts
You aren't going to find everything you're looking for. One one hand you're talking about being bullet proof, no matter how much power you throw at it (which costs a lot of money for this vehicle) and then on the other you say that the swap option is kind of expensive. Expensive and high-performing or cheap and low-quality; pick one or the other.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

What if i told you money is no problem

Old 05-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
I had the dealer install my accord auto transmission and its been decent. It will not last for a track car as I have learned but for spirited daily driving it is fine. The cost from dealer with core was 9k but so far it's been much more reliable and hasn't broke down except at Sebring track.

About 30k of spirited driving on second accord transmission with no issues.

Spirited = punch gas, 140mph on lonely roads, etc...
Old 05-24-2019, 09:54 AM
Latent car nut

You spent nine-thousand dollars on a transmission for a CL???
Old 05-24-2019, 09:57 AM
I Wanna Beer

You spent nine-thousand dollars on a transmission for a CL???
My thought too. That's more than 3x what it should have cost, even on the very high end.

And if he thinks he's hitting 140mph, his speedo is way off.
horseshoez (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Instructor

It was actually done at crown Acura in Clearwater. I'm beyond eccentric when it comes to my cars and this one has been no different. The car reliably does 140 before what I believe is either the speed limiter or transmission final gear can handle.

I have tracked many cars including Ferrari and Lamborghini and honestly this car for the money has been the best, other than transmission issues it's been more solid than any car twice it's value that I have owned.

While to you, 9k seems like alot and you feel the need to judge, I suggest less negativity and more focus in real life so that costs of a vehicle repair are a not a concern, especially what others have paid for a great customer service and reputable service dealer.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Lance10
It was actually done at crown Acura in Clearwater. I'm beyond eccentric when it comes to my cars and this one has been no different. The car reliably does 140 before what I believe is either the speed limiter or transmission final gear can handle.

I have tracked many cars including Ferrari and Lamborghini and honestly this car for the money has been the best, other than transmission issues it's been more solid than any car twice it's value that I have owned.

While to you, 9k seems like alot and you feel the need to judge, I suggest less negativity and more focus in real life so that costs of a vehicle repair are a not a concern, especially what others have paid for a great customer service and reputable service dealer.
I suppose getting hosed requires some form of justification; sorry, the fact is you got hosed.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

That better have been a brand new AV6 transmission with zero miles on it or something..
Old 05-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Instructor

It was new transmission from Honda. Unfortunately the was a core charge since Honda would not accept the Acura transmission as a core. Overall, I've been very happy with a good solid new transmission. I rebuilt the entire car as new about 3-4 years ago and this was one of the many improvements. I purchased the car new in October 2002 and it's the only car I've kept beyond 10 years.

You're entitled to your opinion about being "hosed" but we gave different goals and budgets. I could easily make fun of the fact you think 9k is alot and delve deeper into why, but I'll leave it at the fact that a new solid Honda transmission put in by Greg (one of the best Acura service mechanics I've worked with) is still going strong after very aggressive driving. You're welcome to call the dealer and just mention my name, or in fact any dealer in this area as I have over 40 cars from 1M classics to exotics to a wonderful cost effective CL-S that all have had extensive work.

This is a forum for car enthusiasts, while I see you feel the need to bag on people because of your lifestyle and shortcomings, just realize how silly you look to anyone who loves their car and would think it's a good idea to put a new Honda accord transmission in and not have any issues for the life of the car.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:28 AM
Latent car nut

You got hosed because a remanufactured unit will be as good as, if not better (depending upon the quality of the components used), for a third of the cost; regardless of how much money one has, pissing it away for no reason is dumb. As for your crack about making fun of the fact I think $9,000 is a lot, I wouldn't go there if I were you, you may well lose that pissing contest as well.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:47 AM
Instructor

You got hosed because a remanufactured unit will be as good as, if not better (depending upon the quality of the components used), for a third of the cost; regardless of how much money one has, pissing it away for no reason is dumb. As for your crack about making fun of the fact I think $9,000 is a lot, I wouldn't go there if I were you, you may well lose that pissing contest as well.
You're welcome to keep buying remanufactured units known to having defects and the overall design of the stock Acura was flawed. I decided to purchase new and have been happy.

By your comments it's easily discernible that you are attempting to prop up yourself up for more than your actual worth. Here's a little advice, people who have real money don't think 9k is alot for a transmission for a car they enjoyed driving. I spent 80k on my racing Lamborghini transmission/clutch/LSD set up and I replace that every year.

If you did have such wealth you would know redoing a captains plane seat alone or a part on a refrigerator or even a wax job on your floors in one of your homes exceeds 9k. It's all relative and you've shown how small your world is to worry about 3k vs 9k, remanufactured vs new. I told the dealer I wanted a better than new car, they delivered. When you reach a level, customer service is more important than price. If you were as rich as you think you are, you would know that. Priorities change, by your comments it's obvious where your mindset is at.

I suggest less puffering my overly-conceited aggressor. There is always someone richer, bigger, stronger, faster, smarter.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:16 PM
I Wanna Beer

You're welcome to keep buying remanufactured units known to having defects and the overall design of the stock Acura was flawed. I decided to purchase new and have been happy.

By your comments it's easily discernible that you are attempting to prop up yourself up for more than your actual worth. Here's a little advice, people who have real money don't think 9k is alot for a transmission for a car they enjoyed driving. I spent 80k on my racing Lamborghini transmission/clutch/LSD set up and I replace that every year.

If you did have such wealth you would know redoing a captains plane seat alone or a part on a refrigerator or even a wax job on your floors in one of your homes exceeds 9k. It's all relative and you've shown how small your world is to worry about 3k vs 9k, remanufactured vs new. I told the dealer I wanted a better than new car, they delivered. When you reach a level, customer service is more important than price. If you were as rich as you think you are, you would know that. Priorities change, by your comments it's obvious where your mindset is at.

I suggest less puffering my overly-conceited aggressor. There is always someone richer, bigger, stronger, faster, smarter.
You didn't purchase new. Honda hasn't had any new transmission in stock for years. You were lied to and then you paid out the nose. A performance build wouldn't have cost you even 1/2 that much. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Let's say that they did somehow find a new transmission that's been sitting around for more than 10 years now. That's even worse than a remanufactured. Why? Because it's been sitting. Those seals are drying and cracking. There's a reason you get a 105k service at 105k miles OR at 7 years. Even if you only have 20k miles on at 7 years, you still need it as the seals get old and break down. You can't fight time. So you'd have a transmission with old crusty seals that are MUCH more likely to fail than a recently remanufactured transmission.

Either way, you got ripped off HARDCORE.

Your Lambo ownership claims are laughable. Everyone knows you don't own one. Stop the lies now.

Last edited by TheWeez; 05-24-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Lmao this guy got hosed hard and can only reply with a pissing contest about having money, as if that's supposed to somehow justify getting absolutely ripped a new one. $9k for an auto trans haha.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:24 PM
Latent car nut

Sorry Lance baby, you're going to have to do better than that.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 254 Posts
Lance10 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheWeez
You didn't purchase new. Honda hasn't had any new transmission in stock for years. You were lied to and then you paid out the nose. A performance build wouldn't have cost you even 1/2 that much. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Let's say that they did somehow find a new transmission that's been sitting around for more than 10 years now. That's even worse than a remanufactured. Why? Because it's been sitting. Those seals are drying and cracking. There's a reason you get a 105k service at 105k miles OR at 7 years. Even if you only have 20k miles on at 7 years, you still need it as the seals get old and break down. You can't fight time. So you'd have a transmission with old crusty seals that are MUCH more likely to fail than a recently remanufactured transmission.

Either way, you got ripped off HARDCORE.

Your Lambo ownership claims are laughable. Everyone knows you don't own one. Stop the lies now.
I do pity you. To think everyone is broke and lives in a poverty stricken world as yours. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm self made and unlike yourself I don't need to lie about any of my endeavors or wealth.

Here's some of my cars on my recent pics. The truly rare are locked away safely, these are just the ones I'm currently playing with. That's just a minor and fun hobby, hence the car forums.

Had to call your bluff there. I suggest less time on the internet pretending to be someone important and focus on positive thoughts.

People like you can't see beyond your own negativity so you trash and ego talk yourself on anyone who you think deserves it.

By the by, the NEW accord transmission that everyone recommended has been solid for 2-3 years with many track days and hard driving in Florida. I'm very happy with a reliable car and being able to track it then drive home often was worth whatever it cost, which to you seems more relevant.

Sebring before repaint

One of my homes for the Mercs

Another home for toys

Resto at Dupont

One of the daily

Acura dealer redoing the fog lights

Yet another home for toys.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Lmao this guy got hosed hard and can only reply with a pissing contest about having money, as if that's supposed to somehow justify getting absolutely ripped a new one. $9k for an auto trans haha.
You're easily amused at others spending habits. Your reply offered nothing but negativity and shows how someone like you is worried about 3k vs 9k, as if either mattered to you in the first place.

Hopefully you will grow up and focus on positive and uplifting others. Tearing down others does not help you in the real world, it only hurts you in the end.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:08 AM
Latent car nut

Geez @Lance10, not only are you a tool, you're the entire freakin' toolbox.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Geez @Lance10, not only are you a tool, you're the entire freakin' toolbox.
I understand. If I were you, I'd resort to insults too, since you just had your arse handed to you. What I piss away in a day is more than I'm willing to bet you make in a lifetime.

But, but... you make six figures!

That's what my employees make and I'm willing to bet they're not as arrogant or as full of shite as you are.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 AM
Latent car nut

I understand. If I were you, I'd resort to insults too, since you just had your arse handed to you. What I piss away in a day is more than I'm willing to bet you make in a lifetime.

That's what my employees make and I'm willing to bet they're not as arrogant or as full of shite as you are.
Well there you have it folks, proof positive that money cannot buy class.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:09 AM
Instructor

I went there, you started it on several posts, I ended it proving I am exactly who I say I am, you then resorted to name calling and then when all else fails you attempt to take the high road.
Is that your position on "pissing contest"?

Instead of being positive, you started this negativity with me being "hosed" and worried about what I spent on a transmission. You then doubled down with your other negative Nellie's calling me out on my personal finances, then you tried to play the "I'm rich" game with someone and realized you talked shite to the wrong guy and not everyone is playing at your little level.

If you want to be positive and offer advice or comments, I can be civil and appreciative.

If you want to insult me, my spending habits or play the "I'm a baller" game, I can go that route too.

There's a difference between class and defending oneself from scrubs trying to be internet badarses.

I come to this forum for positive and interesting thoughts on making the Acura a better and more reliable car. People like you who throw shade and start insulting others, do you honestly not expect a retort in kind?

Here's an approach.. try being nice and yourl receive in kind.

"It seems excessive to spend 9k on a part for a used car but if it's been reliable and resolved the known issue with the Acura then that's your choice "

Or how about
"It might have been better to get a used or remanufactured one instead of buying one from Honda dealer as they mark up pricing and then the Acura dealer as well marks up. Next time let's maybe come up with a better idea to giving away money to the dealers for convenience"

Nah, you prefer the insult then try to make others feel stupid due to your internet superiority complex...
Old 06-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Latent car nut

The fact is, you got hosed, like it or don't, believe it or not. You got upset because we told you the truth.

For the rest of us, we have nothing to apologize to you for. Why? We told you the truth and you didn't like it. Not our problem.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 AM
I Wanna Beer

Lance10 trying REALLY hard here. It's hilarious stuff. And really cute posting photos of others cars. We totally believe you buddy.

Point still stands that you got taken to the cleaners on your transmission. Doesn't matter how much money one has, if Bill Gates pays $5 million for a $1 million home, he's still an idiot that overpaid big time.

But please tell us tales of how you pay $4.5 million for your Lambo because despite being WAY over what they cost, overpaying for things doesn't matter when you have money.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:03 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
You're easily amused at others spending habits. Your reply offered nothing but negativity and shows how someone like you is worried about 3k vs 9k, as if either mattered to you in the first place.

Hopefully you will grow up and focus on positive and uplifting others. Tearing down others does not help you in the real world, it only hurts you in the end.
Aww, are you upset everyone here tore you down?

YIKES. Easily the most cringe worthy post I've read on the forum.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 254 Posts
I've got mixed mixed feelings on this thread...I really appreciate a well taken care of acura. On the other hand...

Old 06-27-2019, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
Does the owner of that Lambo know that you took pictures of their car?
Old 09-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice Z32's