AEM Cold Air Intake and Air Bypass Valve Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM Cold Air Intake and Air Bypass Valve Installation

I recently purchased an AEM CAI and the Air Bypass Valve. As you know, in order to install the valve, the inlet pipe must be cut. The installation instructions tell us to cut the inlet pipe along a straight portion of the pipe. It seemed to me that the most appropriate location to make the cut was a couple of inches below the location where the inlet pipe attaches to the frame using the "soft mounting" mechanism. In other words, on the lower half of the inlet pipe perpindicular to the filter. It made sense to install the valve there since there is not a lot of "straight pipe" above that, with the exception of the few inches or so where the AEM logo is affixed.

The installation went well. However, while looking around the AEM website, they mention that the valve is typically installed on a CAI on the upper portion of the inlet pipe. Does anyone have any experience, comments, advice, etc. on my choice to install the valve at a lower location than the AEM website states? Does anyone foresee any issues? What do you think? I appreciate the help. THANKS...
Old 09-25-2005, 01:46 AM
Pro

On my last CLS I installed it on the lower section (on my present one I done have one at all). It changes the sound significantly... and not for the better (muted). I don't plan to put one on again.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

the whole idea of a by-pass valve is if you drive through standing water the motor will not hydro-lock... but since you put the by-pass valve on the lower portion of the intake piping you pretty much defeated the whole purpose of a by-pass valve...

Besides after a couple years the by=pass valves rot... and if your real lucky the plastic and foam will NOT be injested.

total waste of money unless you plan on driving through a small lake with your car.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Smitty
the whole idea of a by-pass valve is if you drive through standing water the motor will not hydro-lock... but since you put the by-pass valve on the lower portion of the intake piping you pretty much defeated the whole purpose of a by-pass valve...

Besides after a couple years the by=pass valves rot... and if your real lucky the plastic and foam will NOT be injested.

total waste of money unless you plan on driving through a small lake with your car.
I agree with most of what you say Smitty. The bypass did rot out on my last one and my worry was that it was sucking air through the bypass all the time, resulting in basically unfiltered air getting to your engine.

My installation (wish I has a pic, but the car is now gone) was after the logo and just before the pipe entered the body to go down to the road lamp area. My bypass was located a good 10 inches above the filter, so it was a safeguard.