Acura service manager says extra tranny fluid changes UNnecessary!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 04:06 PM
Old timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura service manager says extra tranny fluid changes UNnecessary!

Just talked to one of the service managers at the dealer I use because I was inquiring about tranny fluid changing/flushing.

He checked the recommended guide they have and it says every 30k (which might be revised since the original guide which said 75k I think).

I told him why I was considering doing it now (at 15k) and he said, honestly, don't bother because it's probably not gonna help whatever is wrong with the transmissions that are breaking.

He said they get about three a month (that seems like a lot to me!) and that Acura won't allow them to open the transmissions there to see what is wrong with them, only replace them and send the broken ones back to Acura (wherever that is).

So that's what I found out.

Just saved myself around $80 by talking to him, too, because he was honest enough to tell me don't bother getting the fluid changed ahead of schedule, although if I want to he would have no problem scheduling me for it.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:10 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder if he was trying to tell you something. that is, he knows what's going wrong, can't say what it is, but is saying that tranny fluid has nothingn to do with the problems.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

I had a service manager tell me that the NAVI was "upgraded" by the GPS satellites (up in the sky) *and* there was no reason to get those upgrade disks...

Does this mean that I should NOT have bought my updated NAVI disk?

IMO -- some of the services managers I've talked to were the last people to know...
Old 12-04-2001, 04:17 PM
Old timer

Btw, if it's to the extent of three a month just at this dealer alone, and Acura is obviously just sending more of the same basic transmissions (because several people on this forum have broken more than one), it sounds like CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT time to me.

I mean how can we all just sit here and let Acura get away with this crap? I don't want money, I just want them to fix whatever is wrong with the transmissions - replace it with a stronger part - and issue a recall.

Do you agree or do you just want to sit there with the timebomb transmission under your hood wondering if it'll die before you warranty does, or if your second one will be another faulty one as well?
Old 12-04-2001, 04:18 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by Zapata
i wonder if he was trying to tell you something. that is, he knows what's going wrong, can't say what it is, but is saying that tranny fluid has nothingn to do with the problems.
Yes, that is exactly what he was saying, and that's what I took from it and why I bothered to post it here. I am telling you guys it came from a service manager's mouth that EXTRA FLUID CHANGES AREN'T GOING TO HELP YOUR TRANSMISSION IF IT'S A BAD ONE.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:21 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by EricL

IMO -- some of the services managers I've talked to were the last people to know...
Don't be so quick to discount information just because you don't want to believe a service manager can be competant/helpful/honest.

IIRC, wayneg is a service manager. He seems quite competant/helpful/honest.

Anyway, we're off the topic here. The point has been made in my other posts here.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JRock
Btw, if it's to the extent of three a month just at this dealer alone, and Acura is obviously just sending more of the same basic transmissions (because several people on this forum have broken more than one), it sounds like CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT time to me.

I mean how can we all just sit here and let Acura get away with this crap? I don't want money, I just want them to fix whatever is wrong with the transmissions - replace it with a stronger part - and issue a recall.

Do you agree or do you just want to sit there with the timebomb transmission under your hood wondering if it'll die before you warranty does, or if your second one will be another faulty one as well?

So, far, the stats around here have shown 1-10% failure rate (depending on who you talk to). They are replacing the transmissions. If the problem keeps up, and the word keeps getting around, don't you think that their sales people will tell them that people are not going to buy another?

You presume to believe that Acura just doesn't want to "do the right thing" -- I sure don't know that I can presume that...

Timebomb – OK, so why do some people drive hard with mods and have no failures at 20K (and greater) miles and some people have problems with the transmissions right out the door?

So, should they put in double the number of clutch disks?

Put in bearings that are twice the strength (everywhere)?

Put in a gonzo transmission cooler?

OR

What if it turns out that there are a couple of 10 buck parts that are causing all of the problems *and* the rest of the transmission is fine?
Old 12-04-2001, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't be so quick to discount information just because you don't want to believe a service manager can be competant/helpful/honest.

IIRC, wayneg is a service manager. He seems quite competant/helpful/honest.

Anyway, we're off the topic here. The point has been made in my other posts here.
Yes, but the "implication" is that your service guy knows, when what is proffering is an opinion. WE have them here too.

If Jens and wayne say they happen to know, I will take great stock in what they say, when they say it.

Did you hear Wayne and Jens saying, "Sorry, we know what is going on, but can't tell you"?

JROCK -- IMO -- if we start "cooking-up" and deriving information from what we think some "service manager" is saying, we are headed for the land of nonsense...

Did he not say, “In my opinion”…

Just so you understand what I’m heading at – If you find a service guy that says, “Hey, don’t change the fluid because I found out about some details. I can’t tell you, for sure, that the problem is caused by “XXX”, I’ll be very interested!
Old 12-04-2001, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

JRock - For whatever it's worth, do a partial trans fluid change (3.1 qts) on your own. Cost for 4 qts Honda Z-1 ATF, and a new drain plug washer is about $12.00

It takes less time to do this than an oil change. Maybe the fluid change helps nothing, but it's sure cheap "peace of mind" insurance. And if it turns out the original fluid design was weak, you're covered.

Just my .02, of which I'm sticking with.

Jim
Old 12-04-2001, 05:12 PM
Old timer

Why do you HAVE to argue everything even when there's nothing there to argue?

Timebomb:
OK, so why do some people drive hard with mods and have no failures at 20K (and greater) miles and some people have problems with the transmissions right out the door?
What does that have to do with whether or not it is a timebomb?
That's just it: how you drive it DOESN'T matter. That's why it's a timebomb... we don't know when it's gonna go off. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IS UNNERVING ABOUT IT. THAT'S MY ENTIRE FRIGGIN' POINT.
WTF MAN.

So, should they put in double the number of clutch disks?

Put in bearings that are twice the strength (everywhere)?

Put in a gonzo transmission cooler?
Acura has all the broken transmissions somewhere. They know EXACTLY what is going wrong with them.
I merely suggested THAT THEY FIX WHATEVER THE HECK IS MAKING THEM BREAK.

God, you get under my skin like crazy cuz you ask the stupidest shit that doesn't even make sense.

How hard is it for a company to have ethical business practices these days? Obviously very. Acura seems to be doing everything possible to avoid a recall because they don't want to lose that image of Japanese car = long-lasting quality.

Mackdaddy: maybe so. The problem here is Acura avoiding a recall at all costs. The "costs" will eventually be coming out of CL/TL driver's pockets when the majority of us are past the warrany period and trannies are still breaking. I'd rather have this problem dealt with NOW, BEFORE we get to that point.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:16 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Let's see; change transmission oil every 30,000 miles, but you can only drain half of it out? Sounds to me like a trans oil change every 15,000 miles makes a lot of sense. I had mine done at 1,000 and 15,000 miles and getting ready for the 30,000 mile change. Also I have only paid $45.00 for the change at the dealer not $80.00
Old 12-04-2001, 05:17 PM
Old timer

It may make all the sense in the world - I'm just letting you know I was told it won't be solving the transmission problem that is plauging our cars, so if you're like me and were about to get it done Just Because, you can save that ~$100.

Btw, I'm just trying to be helpful here and pass on information I found out. I wasn't expecting anyone to decide to argue every word I said.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:27 PM
Old timer

JROCK -- IMO -- if we start "cooking-up" and deriving information from what we think some "service manager" is saying, we are headed for the land of nonsense...

Did he not say, “In my opinion”…

He at no point said "in my opinion". I told you what he told me. He told me don't bother with extra tranny fluid changes BECAUSE IT WON'T MATTER WITH THE FAULTY TRANNY SITUATION.

Very simple. That is what I was told. Directly. From a service manager.

He did not qualify it with "I think" or "in my opinion."

I am passing this info on to you all. I'm not "cooking up" anything,

You're welcome.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Why do you HAVE to argue everything even when there's nothing there to argue?

Mackdaddy: maybe so. The problem here is Acura avoiding a recall at all costs. The "costs" will eventually be coming out of CL/TL driver's pockets when the majority of us are past the warrany period and trannies are still breaking. I'd rather have this problem dealt with NOW, BEFORE we get to that point.
I'm not here to give you a rift of shit my friend, I TOTALLY AGREE with what your saying. Someone (quite likely many) at Acura know exactly what's going on with ours trannies. I personally think it's a load of shit for them to not share info with the dealers, to at least ease the customers minds a bit......
Old 12-04-2001, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

He at no point said "in my opinion". I told you what he told me. He told me don't bother with extra tranny fluid changes BECAUSE IT WON'T MATTER WITH THE FAULTY TRANNY SITUATION.

Very simple. That is what I was told. Directly. From a service manager.

He did not qualify it with "I think" or "in my opinion."

I am passing this info on to you all. I'm not "cooking up" anything,

You're welcome.
Well, I see you’re thrilled...

and the "probably" in the top paragraph: “and he said, honestly, don't bother because it's probably not gonna help whatever is wrong with the transmissions that are breaking.”

And now IT is that he knows for sure… oh, the joy of semantics…

With that in mind, one more comment gets added to this... I'm not saying that if you change the fluid you're home free.

However, I did get some info (that I can't comment on) that leads elsewhere . . . and that's the problem with second hand information (regardless of source)

-- OK, I’ll add your guy to the don’t bother with the lube tally --
Old 12-04-2001, 06:04 PM
Drifting

However, I did get some info (that I can't comment on) that leads elsewhere . . .
Good, keep it to yourself and complain about others supplying information.. YMMV
Old 12-04-2001, 06:07 PM
Old timer

For the last time...

And now IT is that he knows for sure… oh, the joy of semantics…
You asked, "Did he not say, “In my opinion”…?"

No, he did not say that.

However, I never said he knows FOR SURE.

I used the word "probably" to be nice. I don't want to put words in his mouth. He was just talking to me casually. It's not like he is the God of Acura and knows everything about their transmission problem and the exact cause - he doesn't. However, in the same breath, he is not making up reasons for me to not come spend $100-120 at his service department. He was being nice and telling me essentially, "look buddy, don't waste your money, that's not going to solve the problem that is causing all these trannies to shit themselves."

And I already explained in my initial post how he told me they are not allowed to open the trannies by orders from Acura. They can only replace them and ship the broken ones back to Acura.

That was his reply to my question, "do you have any idea what is wrong with the trannies that they are breaking like this?"

However, I did get some info (that I can't comment on) that leads elsewhere . . .
Old 12-04-2001, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by CO-CL-S

Good, keep it to yourself and complain about others supplying information.. YMMV
So, do you break promises to other people?

Can you say heresay?

And isn't this what this is all about?

Here is some "second hand" "stuff" "that" I can say...

1. What if the bearings are dumping junk into the fluid... Hmmm.. magnetic material.

2. What if the solenoids get "confused" -- (use your imagination). Solenoids generate a magnetic field and the box is electronically controlled

3. Ever notice that a lot of people mentioning the funny delayed shifting before the dreaded tranny dirt nap...

4. What if one clutch pack was still engaged, while the other was NOT! (Can you say fried clutch packs...)

5. Once clutch packs are fried, slip city...

(Then add in the usual load of truly "random" failures to mix-up the 'data' and you've got the makings of a very hard to work pattern...)
Old 12-04-2001, 07:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
My two cents.

1) If the service managers can't open the transmissions to see what is wrong, how the hell would they know what will or will not keep them from failing?

I suppose it is possible JRock's service manager's department has been opening up transmissions to make their own analysis of the problem. I doubt it, however. So Even if the guy is 'sure' I wouldn't give much stock to his opinion since he probably doesn't have any evidence to base it on. He may be wrong, he may not be. Who can tell?

2) The only way he would know for sure is if Acura knows what the problem is, and has told the service managers what the problem is. Didn't Jens say that Acura called him recently to ask for more details concerning one of their blown trannys? That tells me that Acura is still looking for answers too....

3) There have been several people on here who have said that changing their tranny fluid at 15K made their shifting smoother.
So maybe it's not helping the blown tranny problem. But It's helping something - so maybe it is helping? who knows.

You guys should cut down on the caffeine some.......
Old 12-04-2001, 07:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Dammit, I can't edit my last post! I took more than 5 minutes
editing it! STUPID!!!!!

My three cents.
1) I'm sure JRock's service manager's has a strong opinion about the transmission failure. What evidence does he have to back it up? Nothing.

Your service manager says the tranny fluid change is useless.
Wayne says it is a good idea.

Who knows?

2) What's the quickest that someone has blown their first tranny?
Perhaps we should take an average? I'd be willing to bet 15-20K?

What's the average time the second tranny blew? Looks like
about 3K? (Well, there haven't been too many, but the longest
was 7K I think, and the shortest was about 7 miles!)

What does that mean? Hell, I don't know either....
Old 12-04-2001, 07:54 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

This is like the FIRESTORE tire thing. They do not want to take the responibilty and also blaming on someone else. The only remedies in my opinion is either legal action as in class action or make it public to the people and get it on television. I bet you that will get you some answer.
Old 12-04-2001, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ChodTheWacko
My two cents.

1) If the service managers can't open the transmissions to see what is wrong, how the hell would they know what will or will not keep them from failing?

I suppose it is possible JRock's service manager's department has been opening up transmissions to make their own analysis of the problem. I doubt it, however. So Even if the guy is 'sure' I wouldn't give much stock to his opinion since he probably doesn't have any evidence to base it on. He may be wrong, he may not be. Who can tell?

2) The only way he would know for sure is if Acura knows what the problem is, and has told the service managers what the problem is. Didn't Jens say that Acura called him recently to ask for more details concerning one of their blown trannys? That tells me that Acura is still looking for answers too....

3) There have been several people on here who have said that changing their tranny fluid at 15K made their shifting smoother.
So maybe it's not helping the blown tranny problem. But It's helping something - so maybe it is helping? who knows.

You guys should cut down on the caffeine some.......

Just to amplify on this -- (a possible scenario at company-x)

Let's say they have a bad batch of Spin-wacks, they get them from a "reliable" vendor (or so they think). They install them in ALL the boxes, but 1 to 10% of the total number of them are "bad"/defective/"not up to standards".

So, their finished "product" undergoes testing and everything goes ok. Is there anything that says that they pull the parts in some order (do they have a date code/batch code on every Spin-wack). So, now let's say they start suspecting the "Spin-wacks", but they are all mixed up -- good ones and bad ones.

1. Do you toss out the whole mess?
2. Do you take the word of the people that the new ones (that still may be bad are ok)?
3. Toss the old Spin-Wacks, go to a new vendor (if there even is such a thing) and just pop them in (without anyone knowing).
4. Put more of the good *and* bad Spin-wacks into transmissions that have been damaged from: random failure of a "great" part; poor Spin-Wacks; or some other cause.
5. If a replacement was done with "improved" parts *and* it turned out that there was some internal damage--in the returned core unit--that was "undetected" by the Spin-Wacks falures, couldn't this make for an even less reliable factory rebuild than the original one?

What if you're in a real pile of shit, since you may have to add some beefier parts that require a redesign. You hope you can try the "quick/cheaper" fix, but have a nasty feeling that it might not cut it...

Finally, your sales are pathetic, and your boss starts looking at year-to-year sales charts upside down to feel better…
Old 12-05-2001, 08:41 AM
Old timer

1) I'm sure JRock's service manager's has a strong opinion about the transmission failure. What evidence does he have to back it up? Nothing.

Your service manager says the tranny fluid change is useless.
Wayne says it is a good idea.
Fucking A. This isn't someone claiming they know what the failure is, and doing so without evidence to back it up.

Look. Read. Comprehend.

He DOESN'T know what is wrong with it. What he DOES know is that changing the fluid extra times isn't going to stop a faulty transmission from breaking. A faulty one being one with "the problem". If he was like the majority of dealers out there I'm sure he would have said "oh sure, bring it in ever 15k so we can take an extra $120 that we can claim might do some morsel of good for your tranny." Instead he is not.

I dunno about you guys, but I'd be more inclined to believe someone who is telling me something that will save me from paying him more money than someone who is trying to convince me to pay them more money without any proof that it helps.

Either way, who cares - you guys keep bringing up "he thinks he knows what is wrong with the transmission." Very simple. I never claimed he knew what is going wrong with them, nor did he. I thought it was pretty obvious he doesn't know what is the source of the problem when I explained to you guys how he told me they are NOT allowed to open the broken ones, only ship them back to Acura.

Once again:
He DOESN'T know what is wrong with it. What he DOES know is that changing the fluid extra times isn't going to stop a faulty transmission from breaking. A faulty one being one with "the problem".

How many times to I have to write the same thing over and over before it sinks in? You keep putting words in his or my mouth that were never said.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:50 AM
Drifting

The service department would not have to take the tranny apart to come up with the conclusion that changing the fluid would not help. All they have to do is see if the fluid has broken down (maybe a heat problem and replacing "would" help), there is contamination in the fluid (again replacing fluid would help). If the fluid is still good and there isn't anything in it, it wouldn't do any good to replace it.
"He said, but I can't repeat" is BS!
Old 12-05-2001, 08:52 AM
Racer

Dude, you guys are a bunch of drama queens! All Jrock was trying to do is give you guys some feedback of a conversation he had with his service manager. It's really simple, if your trans drops, go get it fixed...if it doesn't break then just be happy. Stop worrying about it if your trans hasn't fallen apart yet!
Old 12-05-2001, 09:49 AM
Old timer

CO-CL-S
The service department would not have to take the tranny apart to come up with the conclusion that changing the fluid would not help. All they have to do is see if the fluid has broken down (maybe a heat problem and replacing "would" help), there is contamination in the fluid (again replacing fluid would help). If the fluid is still good and there isn't anything in it, it wouldn't do any good to replace it.
"He said, but I can't repeat" is BS!
Thank you.

Originally posted by CLS16
Dude, you guys are a bunch of drama queens! All Jrock was trying to do is give you guys some feedback of a conversation he had with his service manager. It's really simple, if your trans drops, go get it fixed...if it doesn't break then just be happy. Stop worrying about it if your trans hasn't fallen apart yet!
Thank you.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:22 AM
on bin laden

Sounds like somebody has a case of bunched panties. Thanks for the info JRock.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:23 AM
Red X

sorry, this is a long thread so i didn't read it all. we should post a "sticky" thread and all of us put the facts about our car: date we bought, date when produced (if known), how many miles, and if you had a tranny problem. we have about 2000 members and we could get an official percentage on this board. can you mods do this? the audi guys did it with blown s4 turbos
Old 12-05-2001, 11:27 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by gmilian
sorry, this is a long thread so i didn't read it all. we should post a "sticky" thread and all of us put the facts about our car: date we bought, date when produced (if known), how many miles, and if you had a tranny problem. we have about 2000 members and we could get an official percentage on this board. can you mods do this? the audi guys did it with blown s4 turbos
The only way this would work is if "you had" to enter the information before createing or responding to a thread (have to allow reading as many surf for info about our rides). And that is not going to happen.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:00 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

The other fact of the matter is, quite simply, that there may be no reason at all to change the tranny fluid at 7500miles or 15000 miles for that matter. If the transmission fluid itself is finr and retaining its properties at that interval, putting "newer" fluid in the tranny ain't gonna do a damn thing.

If the tranny failure caused the destruction of the tranny fluid, as some have pondered, than putting in new fluid is only going to get you an extra few miles before the problem surfaces anyhow.

In fact, what if you were the one who changed the fluid every 7500 miles and prolonged your faulty tranny from dying until just after your warranty was over? You'd feel pretty dumb then.

I have to agree with just sticking to the manual unless you don't mind spending the extra money. I too believe that if there is a fault in the transmission that comstantly changing the fluid is not going to save your butt. I personally would rather have my faulty tranny go out sooner rather than later and risk it not being covered under warranty.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

JROCK -- I left you a PM...
CO-CL-S -- I left you a PM...
Old 12-05-2001, 03:18 PM
Old timer

Yeah okay, so essentially the info I posted at the beginning of this thread rings true - extra fluid changes aren't gonna help. So why then did you give me and the info I brought such a hard time if you essentially agree?
Old 12-05-2001, 03:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

How many times to I have to write the same thing over and over before it sinks in? You keep putting words in his or my mouth that were never said.
I don't recall putting words in your mouth. With regards to your service guy, however If someone KNOWS that doing XXXXX will help or will not help the transmission problem, then they better have evidence to back up their words.

And maybe if you answered some of my questions I wouldn't need to repeat them.

If your service manager doesn't know what the problem is, how does he know changing the transmission fluid has no beneficial effect? How does he explain people sometimes having smoother shifting after changing their transmission fluid?
Old 12-05-2001, 04:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by CLS16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------
Originall posted by Jrock:
Thank you.
------------------------------

I didn't think of that, that makes a lot of sense.
You should take note, JRock, of what a short concise and intelligent statement gets you, versus a big ass rant.

Is that what your service guy did? If so, why didn't you say so
in the first place?

I wonder what Jen and Wayne have to say regarding this.
Perhaps they haven't closely examined the tranny fluid from
a broken tranny.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:05 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by ChodTheWacko
Originally posted by CO-CL-S

-------------------------
Originall posted by Jrock:
Thank you.
------------------------------

I didn't think of that, that makes a lot of sense.
You should take note, JRock, of what a short concise and intelligent statement gets you, versus a big ass rant.

Is that what your service guy did? If so, why didn't you say so
in the first place?

I wonder what Jen and Wayne have to say regarding this.
Perhaps they haven't closely examined the tranny fluid from
a broken tranny.
I didn't think JRock ranted, etc. Also, Wayne made the suggestion on the TL board (I think), that tranny fluid be changed every oil change or something like that, but I don't remember any comments from him about the condition of fluid in failing autos either?
Old 12-05-2001, 06:06 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Currently Acura is working hard at solving this situation with the transmissions.Yes Acura called me on a trans problem to gather feedback from the people actually working on the cars.From this conversation it was apparent to me that they are concentrating very hard on getting this mess sorted it out.At this time they are not ready to answer the all important question as to why the transmissions are failing.This is not a case of them wanting to hide something but rather I think them wanting to make sure they really have a handle on the problem and the solution.No we do not open the transmissions up that is left to the personnel at Acura.Yes in all cases of trans failure the fluid was more or less ruined.We are required to drain the transmissions prior to returning them to Acura.Yes the fluid was usually in pretty bad shape.Typically it will smell like old varnish and have a dark color to it.Yes we do suggest that you flush your trans as we have seen this solve several transmission problems.We ofcourse cannot guarantee that it will solve all trans problems but at this time untill we know the exact nature of the problem we feel that flushing the trans is not a bad idea.
Let's all try to keep our heads on this one and wait and see what Acura says and does about this.You all have made valid points in this thread however we should all try to keep our cool.We know this is an unpleasant thing but arguing over it will only make things worse .Trying to outguess the factory as to what the problem really is is also counterproductive as in the end a whole bunch if misinformation will be spread that can no doubt only cause more harm than it is worth.The moment we get official word as to what the problem is and what the solution is going to be Wayne or myself will tell all of you asap.Jens
Old 12-05-2001, 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah okay, so essentially the info I posted at the beginning of this thread rings true - extra fluid changes aren't gonna help. So why then did you give me and the info I brought such a hard time if you essentially agree?
Check PM...
Old 12-05-2001, 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Jens -- can you be our Transmission Cop? Please! My bullet holes are still leaking ATF.... (and thanks for the update!)
Old 12-05-2001, 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

As always thank you, Jens. You and Wayne are very much appreciated around here (more than you probably know.)

Everyone remember what we bought our cars for...... driving! Get your arsses off the web and go for a cruise. I find a daily dose of SS induced CAI/VTEC wail extreamly theraputic. :P

Mack out-
Old 12-05-2001, 09:28 PM
www.drippinwet.com

i've worked in dealerships since 1987 and seen 16 different mfg problems, i've seen severe metal contamination on transmission dispsticks (something metal breaking and getting chewed up by the pump) and i've seen a fair share of black/dark fluid from severe clutch contamination, what i have found out is the transmissions getting returned have severe fluid contamination, (very dark) - no metal chips, now some people may have heard of someone with low miles with a failure, but you can't rule out mechanical parts failure, maybe with more mileage there is fluid breakdown/contamination, therefore i think thats why wayneg has reccomended earlier fluid changes, also the techs in my shop agree, and i will be changing mine every 7500 miles. - its your car do with it what you want, its fully guaranteed for 48/50 but if an early fluid change eliminates a problem i don't see it as saving acura warranty dollars, i see it as keeping my ride and not being in a loaner waiting for a new transmission, plus i'm sure some of us on the board are drive there cars a little on the thrashing side, so this might help - my opinion of that service manager is he is either staying neutral, or not asking questions, or not asking the right people - i'll be changing my fluid every 7500 miles.

Quick Reply: Acura service manager says extra tranny fluid changes UNnecessary!