Notices

2001 Acura CL and CL Type S Problem. Need Help!

Old 01-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2001 Acura CL and CL Type S Problem. Need Help!

I have 2 Acura Cls, one being a type S and the other just a premium. Anyways, the problem iím having is the car just stops accelerating. I was driving on the highway prefectly fine then all of a sudden I went to go speed up a bit and the car wouldnít move. Almost like the car was out of power. The car was still on and running, but just wouldnít go anymore. Iím having the same issue on my premium Cl too. Just out of nowhere within a day of eachother they had the same issue. I scanned both cars with my Snap On scanner and nothing popped up as far as the transmission goes. On top of that, that cars havenít had any transmission problems ever. I always let the cars warm up before I drive it, so I donít think itís the fact that its cold or anything. When i first start the cars and drive them the second I start them, theyre shifting through all the gears fine and thereís no issues. Itís almost as if the problem starts occuring when the cars warm up. I donít know if its a random thing that it keeps happening or what. Iím just pretty stuck and canít seem to figure out or wrap my head around the fact that this problem is occuring in both cars at almost the same time. Is it possible that the trannies couldíve went without warning or any prior issues like that? The only things I havenít done to either car is chnage he tranny fluid and filter, and I dont know if that would help it or not. I just need some feedback and was wondering if anyone on here had an idea of what could be wrong. Both cars are ATs by the way. If anyone could help ut would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 01-17-2019, 05:34 PM

Liked 5,791 Times in 4,643 Posts
change the fluid and report back.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
The next time it happens, pull the gear selector back carefully one position. If you have drive again, it's possible that your torque converter lockup solenoid is clogged or sticky due to worn clutches.

+1 on change the fluid and report back. Drain what you can, measure the volume that you drained, pour that much new fluid back into the trans, drive it around for a day or two, then repeat once or twice more depending on when the fluid was last changed. It might not hurt to locate that solenoid valve and clean it, (google is your friend).

Edit: It's called the "Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid" in the SM.

Last edited by johnboy1313; 01-18-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by johnboy1313 View Post
The next time it happens, pull the gear selector back carefully one position. If you have drive again, it's possible that your torque converter lockup solenoid is clogged or sticky due to worn clutches.

+1 on change the fluid and report back. Drain what you can, measure the volume that you drained, pour that much new fluid back into the trans, drive it around for a day or two, then repeat once or twice more depending on when the fluid was last changed. It might not hurt to locate that solenoid valve and clean it, (google is your friend).

Edit: It's called the "Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid" in the SM.
I dug a little more, I don't think I'm right. It could be a solenoid valve that needs to be cleaned, but probably not the TCC solenoid. I'd still do the drain and fills at least. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iíll be changing the fluid and checking out the solenoid over the weekend while I have the time and iíll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks everyone for the feed back!
Old 01-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Liked 448 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad0424 View Post
I’ll be changing the fluid and checking out the solenoid over the weekend while I have the time and i’ll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks everyone for the feed back!
I would change the trans filter and change atf to Valvoline Max Life (100 percent). If the car drives after the services then at XADO trans reconditioning additive EX120.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I just took out the solenoid and the filters seem clean. Nothing in the screen. However there is a large amount of tranny fluid thatís sitting in the area of the solenoid when I removed it. Is it normal to have a good amount just sitting there?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for my other CL, it turns out that the transmission did just go randomly without any sign. The torque converter got locked up and the transmission is shot. When I scanned it, the torque converter and the gear ratio is off. All that nonsense, but as far as my Type S goes. None of that is popping up when I scan it, but itís still having the same issue. The Type S is where iím sitting at the solenoid with the excessive amount of tranny fluid.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Liked 448 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad0424 View Post
As for my other CL, it turns out that the transmission did just go randomly without any sign. The torque converter got locked up and the transmission is shot. When I scanned it, the torque converter and the gear ratio is off. All that nonsense, but as far as my Type S goes. None of that is popping up when I scan it, but itís still having the same issue. The Type S is where iím sitting at the solenoid with the excessive amount of tranny fluid.
Which solenoid are you referring to that may be leaking? The tranny should be dry, if there's a leak then maybe fix that first before doing anything else.

FYI, you should also do the Stop n Go when changing 100 percent of the ATF.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01acls View Post
Which solenoid are you referring to that may be leaking? The tranny should be dry, if there's a leak then maybe fix that first before doing anything else.

FYI, you should also do the Stop n Go when changing 100 percent of the ATF.
There was an excessive amount of tranny fluid when i removed the TCC Solenoid. I know thereís suppose to be fluid there, but when I removed it. It was basically overflowing with tranny fluid. Thereís no leak on the transmission itself. And iíll do the stop and go if this actually fixes the problem. If it doesnít, then the car is obviously going nowhere lol