09 TL SH AWD Intake.........IMRC??? I dont think soooooo

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
09 TL SH AWD Intake.........IMRC??? I dont think soooooo

The 09 TL SH AWD intake manifold uses a stepper motor that has position feedback for variable opening angles determined by the ECU.

The 03 Cl-S has a motor that actuates a cable that rotates a spring loaded shaft......power on, motor turns and valve opens, power off.....valve snaps shut and forces motor back to initial position by the force of the spring.

It is impossible for the motor on/off controller of our 2nd gen cars to actuate the stepper motor in the 09 IMRC unit.

I have a brand new intake assy sitting on my desk next to me and I wanted to verify this. I assumed that it would open when given 12V to the +/- leads of the motor. I also assumed that it would not close when the power was taken away.

Results: As I assumed, the valve opens when given 12v and then stays open. The motor is constantly trying to move the valve as long as it has power as well. This will likely fry the motor after extended use.

What this means.......All those who wired up their new 09 manifolds with their 2nd gen wiring have done nothing more than opened the valve the first time their IMRC was activated and it has been stuck open ever since.

I am just sharing my results to clear up any confusion out there. I have been searching for months slowly getting everything for my swap and have found many cases of people wiring up their +/- to the 09 manifold....This didnt make any sense to me and I have been confused about it until I just got the parts in my hands today.

Just to clarify..... 2nd gen cl-s or tl-s with 09 Manifold = IMRC WILL NOT WORK. Might as well remove it before you install it as I have done.

Just trying to clear up any confusion for someone else in the future...
Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
That's interesting. I am just going to leave mine closed the first couple of weeks because I would really like some low end power. Although I figure I will end up leaving it open all the time fore the power up top.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Happen to know the results in using the 2009 RL's magnesium manifold and our ability to have the butterfly valve function as it should?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Oh that's a bummer.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should take it to boomslang and see what can be done.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Oh that's a bummer.
Why civicdrvr still gained power across the entire range even with compression issues and apparently a non working IMRC
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 PM
ALL SHOW AND NO GO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...728942&page=24

One of the posters mentioned his IRMC not working as well after install. One suggestion was an RPM activation switch and a tune. It looks like he was referring to a type-s manifold to Tl-P swap though.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
It shouldn't be too difficult to fix. Just need some custom switch I imagine.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Karanx7
It shouldn't be too difficult to fix. Just need some custom switch I imagine.
You mean a custom 5 wire servo motor controller? Doesnt sound so easy to me.

I guess you could do it with some relays and timers. It takes about 1 second to open the butterfly.
You need a polarity ( + and - ) switching relay.....or 2 relays that work simultaneously
You need 2 timers

wire up the +/- of the 09 IMRC to the relays

When the stock IMRC controller turns on, it actuates the relay and sends 12 v to the 09 actuator. The actuator cannot handle constant 12v the whole time it is open...it needs to open and then cut the power. This is where the timer comes in. The timer cuts the power after 1 second and the butterfly stays open.

When the stock IMRC controller kills the power, the relay switches the polarity for 1 second and the butterfly is closed.

Not impossible, but need to source electrical parts which I have no expertise with.... No telling if the servo motor will be happy in the long run with this either though.....
Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
If you just take the butterflies out, then problem solved, no? You may lose a bit of low end (under 4K), but the top end gains are worth it. I have this manifold gasket matched to my polished runners, and a bored 3.7 TB as well...I gained 15whp peak and 6wtq. The power everywhere was increased. It's a great mod. To further back it up, I gained almost 2mph in the 1/4. I trapped 102 prior to the install and just this past weekend was trapping 103.5-103.9.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sonnick
If you just take the butterflies out, then problem solved, no? You may lose a bit of low end (under 4K), but the top end gains are worth it. I have this manifold gasket matched to my polished runners, and a bored 3.7 TB as well...I gained 15whp peak and 6wtq. The power everywhere was increased. It's a great mod. To further back it up, I gained almost 2mph in the 1/4. I trapped 102 prior to the install and just this past weekend was trapping 103.5-103.9.
No doubt the manifold itself is better than stock. But I think you could see the HP gains up top and even MORE torqu down low with the functional butterflies. If you are willing to sacrifice the potential for MORE bottom end torque by just removing the butterflies, thats fine.....I think it would be better to have them functional if possible and have increased drivability around town and such though. Is there any proven top end HP gain by removing the butterflies compared to the butterflies in tact and in the open position?

I bet the HP gains from removing the butterflies on the 09 manifold are negligible, however I bet the torque loss from 2000-4000 is quite substantial....(15+ wtq).... There is no sacrifice if you can get them to operate normally, only gains across the board.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Boosted...

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If you want the intake without the butterflies, then just get a top plate from the accord without butterflies at all. See part #2 part number 17116-R70-A00

Old 11-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I figured the electronic iirc would be an upgrade to our manifolds. Looks like we will have to band together and dicover a fix asap
Old 11-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Considering our ECU is tuned for a single open or closed intake butterfly valve and not a variable open, just wire it up to open up and close like our stock one. Also are you sure its a motor and not an actuator? If its an actuator constant voltage wont hurt them. They are designed to operate like that. Also the spring on our intakes doesnt push or force the motor back, its cable operated and the cable doesnt push, just pulls.

Also I dont have the 09 manifold to play with but im sure it could be possible to modify it to use our cable system by removing the 09 unit?

Last edited by fsttyms1; 11-02-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Considering our ECU is tuned for a single open or closed intake butterfly valve and not a variable open, just wire it up to open up and close like our stock one. Also are you sure its a motor and not an actuator? If its an actuator constant voltage wont hurt them. They are designed to operate like that. Also the spring on our intakes doesnt push or force the motor back, its cable operated and the cable doesnt push, just pulls.

Also I dont have the 09 manifold to play with but im sure it could be possible to modify it to use our cable system by removing the 09 unit?
what he said
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Easier said then done I'm sure. How would one go about wiring it up in a way that it would work with our ecu?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

Really? I started this thread to show that it doesnt work, I explained how ours works and how the current one works and the reasons that the 2 are not compatible. There is no close function on ours, the spring DOES close the valves and return the motor to its original position. Yes, the motor pulls it one way, the resistance of the spring pulls it back when the motor shuts off and closes it. Its not an actuator, you cant wire it up to our controller, it wont work. I can tell you all the reasons why, but I'd just be re-writing my original post.

I also looked at adapting our cable/spring bits to the end of the butterfly valve, but it was not even close to being able to swap. The motor housing is what makes the vacuum seal, the shaft end is different, etc.... Sure with enough time, $$, and trial and error, anything is possible, but you cant just swap the 09 motor for the 01-03 spring/cable assy.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johndo18
Easier said then done I'm sure. How would one go about wiring it up in a way that it would work with our ecu?
Read my previous post about an idea for making a controller
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,136 Likes on 4,805 Posts
This is interesting. I felt the butterflies opening and closing (hand on the intake manifold lid, rev engine). There was a noticeable click from them as well.

What was the 12v source?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick
This came out wrong. I want to clarify. What I meant by this, is that the manifold itself is worth it even if you have to delete the butterflies. I was saying that if you were on the fence on getting this manifold and the deleted butterflies would turn you away, don't be turned away. The top end gains are worth it regardless. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
This is interesting. I felt the butterflies opening and closing (hand on the intake manifold lid, rev engine). There was a noticeable click from them as well.

What was the 12v source?
I used a battery as a 12v source.

Pop your cover off and take a look at the valve position. Should be closed if it were functioning properly. Should only take 5 minutes to check. Let us know what you find.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll

Pop your cover off and take a look at the valve position. Should be closed if it were functioning properly. Should only take 5 minutes to check. Let us know what you find.
He's not using that intake manifold anymore so I doubt he will be able to check
Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 PM

As Stephen said, Im no longer running the 09 mani. But, when it was uninstalled, Im 95% sure the butterflies were in the closed position.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 11-16-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

So the 09 tl sh awd intake manifold is a good mod for cl-s and tl-s 2nd gen or no?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rozay52410
So the 09 tl sh awd intake manifold is a good mod for cl-s and tl-s 2nd gen or no?
Yes it's the best manifold you can use besides nva-av6's dual throttle body manifold set up
Old 11-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Are the 07+ mdx the same intake manifold? Since there 3.7L v6?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

Nope, different part number and look different in the pars catalog. I haven't seen one in person to say what the exact differences are...
Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

So I couldn't mod it to my tl type s 2nd gen?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rozay52410
So I couldn't mod it to my tl type s 2nd gen?
I'm sure you could, but there is no proven benefit to doing so. The MDX's typically are designed to have more lower end torque. You might end up with a torquier engine, but your top end will suffer. Spend the coin on what's proven, unless you want to be everyone's lab rat and dyno your car stock, then install the mdx mani, and then re-dyno all within a few hours....
Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

lol thanks alot man
Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
The 09 TL SH AWD intake manifold uses a stepper motor that has position feedback for variable opening angles determined by the ECU.

It is impossible for the motor on/off controller of our 2nd gen cars to actuate the stepper motor in the 09 IMRC unit.

I have a brand new intake assy sitting on my desk next to me and I wanted to verify this. I assumed that it would open when given 12V to the +/- leads of the motor. I also assumed that it would not close when the power was taken away.

What this means.......All those who wired up their new 09 manifolds with their 2nd gen wiring have done nothing more than opened the valve the first time their IMRC was activated and it has been stuck open ever since.

:
easily verified anyone that has this installed and assumed operational ...open the top plate ...butterfly should be in the open postion ...

if its not either the poster is wrong or your motor isnt working at all
...next test if butterfly is closed ...rev engine to above 3800 and hold ...while doing so disconnect harness to IMRC motor ...turn off engine remove plate if butterfly is still in the closed postion either poster is wrong or your intake mani motor is not opperating ... next text manually open butterfly if poster is correct it should want to stay in whtever postion you rotate it to ... replace cover ...rev engine to above 3800 ...pull cover if butterfly is still open your intake motor is not working if closed poster is wrong ...
Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3.7 im

Is there anyway to remove the flap inside the manifold, or to manually leave it open so that there is not constant power to the acutuator. And if so if the flap is always open are there any consequences like check engine lights or huge loss of power? Please send any imput thank you guys
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
The flap open or closed resembles the characteristics of short and long runners under different ranges in the power band. (long for low end, short for top end). Keeping it open will in turn act as if the manifold is using short runners therefore you will lose low end but see gains in the top end.

So to answer the question, would there be a power loss. Well, under these circumstances (replacing your stock manifold for this one) you would only see a gain throughout the whole power band simply because this manifold overall as far as i recall, holds more air.

So the question for everyone isn't, will it make power. That's already been answered, and it will across the whole power band over a pnp'd cls manifold. The question on people's mind is: how much power are we not seeing in the low end without the use of this actuator as it was intended for.

Correct me if I'm mistaken fellas.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The 03 Cl-S has a motor that actuates a cable that rotates a spring loaded shaft......power on, motor turns and valve opens, power off.....valve snaps shut and forces motor back to initial position by the force of the spring.

Results: As I assumed, the valve opens when given 12v and then stays open. The motor is constantly trying to move the valve as long as it has power as well. This will likely fry the motor after extended use.

I am just sharing my results to clear up any confusion out there. I have been searching for months slowly getting everything for my swap and have found many cases of people wiring up their +/- to the 09 manifold....This didnt make any sense to me and I have been confused about it until I just got the parts in my hands today.

Just to clarify..... 2nd gen cl-s or tl-s with 09 Manifold = IMRC WILL NOT WORK. Might as well remove it before you install it as I have done.

Just trying to clear up any confusion for someone else in the future...
the other obvious choice is to make an adapter so that the CLS ECU controls the butterfly open or closed. Should not be too terribly difficult to make an adapter
Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
the other obvious choice is to make an adapter so that the CLS ECU controls the butterfly open or closed. Should not be too terribly difficult to make an adapter

Yes please someone listen to him and make one up. We need more options for bolt on power for this car before the CL is forgotten about
Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 AM

Before the CL is forgotten about?
Old 03-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm sure you could, but there is no proven benefit to doing so. The MDX's typically are designed to have more lower end torque. You might end up with a torquier engine, but your top end will suffer. Spend the coin on what's proven, unless you want to be everyone's lab rat and dyno your car stock, then install the mdx mani, and then re-dyno all within a few hours....
I'm sure the low-end power inclination of the MDX is down to ECU tuning and not to the intake manifold (that said, the '07 MDX has pretty much the same torque as the J37A4 TL, maybe a bit more, and at the same revs, even though the peak torque RPM's were brought down slightly in the later models). I've just installed a J37A1 MDX manifold into my J32A2 equipped Honda Inspire - no top-end losses to report, I'm quite happy with the way my car has been driving (although I don't have any before/after power figures to verify whether it yielded any gains).