'03 6 speed with Redline Tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 10:20 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 6 speed with Redline Tranny fluid

I called Redline, and they said MTL was the fluid for the 6 speed. So I picked up 3 quarts (manual says 2 quarts for a drain and fill), and dumped the fluid, and put in the Redline. I ended up putting the full 3 quarts in, and nothing came out of the "check bolt" hole.

I found that the check bolt uses a checak valve arrangement (spring in the bolt, with a ball bearing in the hole). I stuck a ty-wrap in the hole for a dipstick, and the oil was down maybe an 1/8".

So I tried it out.

I'm not impressed with the Redline in the Honda 6-speed. The fork felt like it was sluggish through the gates, and upshifting felt more notchy. (Downshifting was fine). Also, when shifting gears, it felt like they didn't want to leave the last gear (felt like the oil was a thicker viscosity). Anyone else tried Redline MTL in the CL 6 speed?

I ended up dumping the fluid, and putting in Honda MTL. Now she runs fine. (Like it did out of the box).

My big question is regarding the check hole:
I bought 4 quarts of Honda MTL (since the 3 quarts of Redline never quite filled her up). I dumped in the full 4 quarts, and still nothing came from the hole! I stuck my ty-rap dipstick back in the hole, and it felt like there was another metal thingy floating around in there. When I pushed it in a bit, the oil would just trickle out. Whats up with the check hole?

My experience with differentials is there is a hole that is open to the differential, and when it's full, it pukes up. Also, how much oil does the 6 speed hold? The 2.5 quarts when the tranny is bone try seems pretty low, since 3 quarts on a drain never filled it up.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I believe you are the first to do this. I thought I heard that Redline doesn't recommend you to use their product in the Honda/Acura tranny?

I've got Redline in my MR2, and I know it took a few days before the shifting became as smooth as it is now. How long did you have it in there?

Not sure about the check hole. The '2s my project car now, the CL is gonna have to wait a bit.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:37 PM
Where's your 6th gear?

I've always liked GM Syncromesh but I'm going to leave the Honda MTF in there for a while. I don't want to do anything to exacerbate tranny pops or do something that they could use to give me grief about the pops if it ever comes to replacement.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:22 PM
Pro

Originally posted by EricS
I believe you are the first to do this. I thought I heard that Redline doesn't recommend you to use their product in the Honda/Acura tranny?

I've got Redline in my MR2, and I know it took a few days before the shifting became as smooth as it is now. How long did you have it in there?

Not sure about the check hole. The '2s my project car now, the CL is gonna have to wait a bit.
I was wondering, so I called them. For the manual's he said MTL was fine, so I tried it. I had it in there for almost a week. The first day it was really nasty, and then it evened out. It felt like it was the wrong viscosity though. My friend's used the MTL and MT-90 in other non-Honda vehicles with positive results, so I thought I'd try it. Live and learn I guess!
Old 09-02-2002, 12:04 PM
Pro

Ok, I crawled under her again, and I found the check bolt. The picture has the size waaayyy out of proportion with the drain plug. Turns out it's a little dinky bolt (10mm wrench). You pull it out, and *BINGO* oil trickles out.

It does run way better with Honda MTL instead of Redline MTL. I wouldn't suggest switching.:P