View Poll Results: What kind of problems have you had with your XS headers?
Leaks due it fitment or bad seals?
12.59%
Cracking due to poor quality welds?
7.41%
Other (please specify what it is) ?
7.41%
None?
63.70%
Excessive resonance?
18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

*** XS Power Header Owner Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Well...it's kinda fast...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2CLean
Nice. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?
About $250 plus tax, and shipping if you need that. They had a local shop so I saved on that. For that they will sandblast old or new parts, fully coat on the outside and spray in to all openings, then bake it on. The they will polish the outside using a plastic like pellets, both inside and outside.

Oh, I forgot to mention that this process will hold it's finish better than the stainless steel. Specially the welds which will breakdown in areas where rusting is a problem.

Jet Hot was a bit more expensive, they and QPC both use the same product, which in my opinion is the best one out there.

What's really cool about this product is that you can have pretty much any metal part coated in a variety of colors.

Quality Powder Coatings (QPC) I think they have a shop in Arizona.
http://www.qualitypowdercoating.com/dallas/

Jet Hot
http://www.jet-hot.com/HTML/jethotstore.html

This company supplies the actual product for the DIY guys.
http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Retail.htm

I've also included some other references for you.
http://www.engineceramics.com/fullservice.htm
http://www.flirthermography.com/medi...onte-FINAL.pdf

Ruf
Old 10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2K1CLtypeS
I wrapped my FP and the "wonk" went away. I used 3-31/2 inch hose clamps and header wrap. Just the other week, I noticed the wonking noise again. I inspected the FP and found that one of the clamps loosened, as well as the wrap. I Re-tightened the wrap and secured the clamp and the noise went away. It is definitely the FP.

I called Epiflex, a company that sells FPs, and spoke to a tech there named Rich. I was inquiring about their FPs and he mentioned there is a FP with an inner braid (a braided pipe within the FP itself) that are used for turbo applications. I asked that if that would work in non turbo engines and he said yes. He also mentioned that the inner braided FPs has better flow capabilities than the non inner braided ones. I am thinking about going that route. I'll keep you guys updated. I need to measure the A-pipe diameter and the length of the original FP. I'll also let you know of the cost of the FP and installation..........
Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!!!

I will try wrapping the flex pipe this weekend and advise.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:56 PM
SOLD

Actually got the XS's fixed up this week, there was a terrible pennies-in-a-can sound that was more like a leak than a resonance, almost a groaning sound. (Since I had a shop install them) I hadn't paid much attention besides looking over them briefly awhile back, and the bolts were not visibly loose at that time. So a little free time comes about and I decide to get in there...the front manifold has 2 bolts loose.
I get the bolts out and low and behold, both are stripped. Hilarious beause I had this done at a performance shop by a certified "Honda Master Technician". Well I guess I should have gone to a certified "Acura Master Technician" . That shop has lost it's credibilty with me (TC Performance for you CO members). After new bolts the sound has gone away, although the front manifold only aligns about 95% with the collector pipe. The hiss is still present but will be gone soon with flex wrap.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oakroadsteve
Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!!!

I will try wrapping the flex pipe this weekend and advise.
No problem! Make sure that the you wrap the FP good and tight. I soaked the header tape in water to aid in wrapping the FP tighter.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Racer

No problem! Make sure that the you wrap the FP good and tight. I soaked the header tape in water to aid in wrapping the FP tighter.
Ok I am going to do this tomorrow. Soak the wrap in water and wrap it around the flex pipe. How many layers did you use and how many hose clamps to hold it on.

Did you have the CL on a lift or ramp??
Old 10-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Ok I am going to do this tomorrow. Soak the wrap in water and wrap it around the flex pipe. How many layers did you use and how many hose clamps to hold it on.

Did you have the CL on a lift or ramp??
One layer of header wrap is all I used, approximate 19 inch strip. Do a test wrap first so you can cut the wrap to the right size if you like. What I did was to start at one end of the FP, wound the header wrap once around (this is the area where the first clamp is to clamp on the header wrap) then in a overlapping motion wrap the FP. Once you are around 1/3 of the FP, install the first clamp. Now, since the clamp is holding the wrap, you can pull on the wrap hard to get a tight fit (Soaking the wrap helps the wrap cling to the FP). As you get to the end of the FP, have the other clamp ready to secure the wrap. I installed the 3rd clamp in the middle of the FP (so I used 3 clamps total) The important thing to remember is that the wrap needs to be tight around the FP. If the wrap is loose, then you will have leakage and of course, the "Wonk" will rear it's ugly head......

I used a jack and jack stands to do the job, but if you have access to a lift or ramp by all means use that, it'll be easier...............

Hope this helps you as it did help my noise issue.....2k1cltypes
Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Racer

One layer of header wrap is all I used, approximate 19 inch strip. Do a test wrap first so you can cut the wrap to the right size if you like. What I did was to start at one end of the FP, wound the header wrap once around (this is the area where the first clamp is to clamp on the header wrap) then in a overlapping motion wrap the FP. Once you are around 1/3 of the FP, install the first clamp. Now, since the clamp is holding the wrap, you can pull on the wrap hard to get a tight fit (Soaking the wrap helps the wrap cling to the FP). As you get to the end of the FP, have the other clamp ready to secure the wrap. I installed the 3rd clamp in the middle of the FP (so I used 3 clamps total) The important thing to remember is that the wrap needs to be tight around the FP. If the wrap is loose, then you will have leakage and of course, the "Wonk" will rear it's ugly head......

I used a jack and jack stands to do the job, but if you have access to a lift or ramp by all means use that, it'll be easier...............

Hope this helps you as it did help my noise issue.....2k1cltypes
Really appreciate the detailed reply. I will try it after work this evening and advise.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 AM
B A N N E D

getting my xs headers installed tomorrow. cant wait to get them on. will update and let you guys know how they are.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:12 PM
B A N N E D

just a call from the shop that my headers are done. im picking up the car tomorrow morning.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBLOCK1226
just a call from the shop that my headers are done. im picking up the car tomorrow morning.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:47 PM
B A N N E D

just got my car back from the shop omg i love these headers!!! there perfect no leaks or hissing. they sound great, a nice deep tone. i used to only hear my aem intake at high rpm's now i hear my engine at lower rpm's now. it really pulls harder at high speeds now.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Racer

Really appreciate the detailed reply. I will try it after work this evening and advise.
Your suggestion worked as advertised. I followed your instructions to the letter and the dreaded "wonk" has been exorcised.

Cost me $40 bucks for the wrap and clamps. Best $40 bucks I ever spent. It now sounds like my wifes G35 coupe. The difference is that I can show her my taillights rather quickly courtesy of my XS headers.

2K1CL you have made a friend for life...
Old 10-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBLOCK1226
just got my car back from the shop omg i love these headers!!! there perfect no leaks or hissing. they sound great, a nice deep tone. i used to only hear my aem intake at high rpm's now i hear my engine at lower rpm's now. it really pulls harder at high speeds now.
Cool man, anything else added to the headers? Wrap or jet hot coating?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:45 PM
B A N N E D

neither.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Good to hear. That proves it's not all XS headers.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Your suggestion worked as advertised. I followed your instructions to the letter and the dreaded "wonk" has been exorcised.

Cost me $40 bucks for the wrap and clamps. Best $40 bucks I ever spent. It now sounds like my wifes G35 coupe. The difference is that I can show her my taillights rather quickly courtesy of my XS headers.

2K1CL you have made a friend for life...

Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Racer

After thinking long and hard about whether to install myself, or have an "ABC franchise" place do it, or spend maybe a touch more and have a shop i trust do it, i went with a shop i trust... -- it might have cost me a little bit more $, but im confident in their work and the mechanic has always helped me out in the past (from bills to giving me repair plates to drive unregistered cars home).

I bought new grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers - couldnt find the metric size so i got near the equivilant in imperial measure.

Bought new gasket rings and header-engine gaskets through honda/acura ---

He said he had a little trouble with some of the nuts, had to soak, heat resoak etc... but all in all he said he had no fitment issues, install went very smoothly after they got the bolts/nuts off.

I was pinched for time and didnt get a chance to wrap the flex pipe...

I dont have any real issues with noise or resonance... I have hissing but i cant attribute that to the headers since i know i had that noise anyways because of my CAI - the hissing didnt get any louder after the headers, its the same.

What is really nice is i could instantly feel the increase in power, my cousin drove it today and felt the same. The sound note on the car is soo much nicer, and when VTEC kicks in it just brings a smile to your face.

No wonks at certain RPMs or anything, the only thing i noticed and again the only reason i noticed it was because i was listening specifically for it and manipulating the throttle to produce a sound, is a very very very very faint bass tone - when i say faint, i had to test it more than a half dozen times to make sure i was hearing what i was hearing... When the revs decrease there is an extremely faint bass tone - if i wasnt listening specifically for it i would have never noticed it its quite possible that tone has always been there.

If a normal ear was listening to the engine they would never in a million years notice it.

All in all im extremely happy, I may get under there to wrap the flex pipe in the future just to be safe (or if they start producing an unwanted sound), but as of now i have zero issues with the headers.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ralphie917
After thinking long and hard about whether to install myself, or have an "ABC franchise" place do it, or spend maybe a touch more and have a shop i trust do it, i went with a shop i trust... -- it might have cost me a little bit more $, but im confident in their work and the mechanic has always helped me out in the past (from bills to giving me repair plates to drive unregistered cars home).

I bought new grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers - couldnt find the metric size so i got near the equivilant in imperial measure.

Bought new gasket rings and header-engine gaskets through honda/acura ---

He said he had a little trouble with some of the nuts, had to soak, heat resoak etc... but all in all he said he had no fitment issues, install went very smoothly after they got the bolts/nuts off.

I was pinched for time and didnt get a chance to wrap the flex pipe...

I dont have any real issues with noise or resonance... I have hissing but i cant attribute that to the headers since i know i had that noise anyways because of my CAI - the hissing didnt get any louder after the headers, its the same.

What is really nice is i could instantly feel the increase in power, my cousin drove it today and felt the same. The sound note on the car is soo much nicer, and when VTEC kicks in it just brings a smile to your face.

No wonks at certain RPMs or anything, the only thing i noticed and again the only reason i noticed it was because i was listening specifically for it and manipulating the throttle to produce a sound, is a very very very very faint bass tone - when i say faint, i had to test it more than a half dozen times to make sure i was hearing what i was hearing... When the revs decrease there is an extremely faint bass tone - if i wasnt listening specifically for it i would have never noticed it its quite possible that tone has always been there.

If a normal ear was listening to the engine they would never in a million years notice it.

All in all im extremely happy, I may get under there to wrap the flex pipe in the future just to be safe (or if they start producing an unwanted sound), but as of now i have zero issues with the headers.
I bough my headers about a week ago and was lucky enough to meet a fellow az'er who helped me install them last night...i did not buy any extra stuff as i didnt have much time...but am having the same faint tone...I am getting my alignment done tonight since i threw on sway bars at the same time and will check my car on the lift to see if i need to wrap it or fix the bolts...hopefully all is well....i'll let you know what it is...
Old 10-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Instructor

those bolts are junk man!... good luck though
Old 10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by AcUrAge703
I bough my headers about a week ago and was lucky enough to meet a fellow az'er who helped me install them last night...i did not buy any extra stuff as i didnt have much time...but am having the same faint tone...I am getting my alignment done tonight since i threw on sway bars at the same time and will check my car on the lift to see if i need to wrap it or fix the bolts...hopefully all is well....i'll let you know what it is...
you should have replaced the bolts and gaskets they both are a pieces of crap.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

yea...i know...im hearing the pennies in a can sound...but i dont know if thats resonance or the bad bolts....we didnt strip any of the bolts...but it was a quick job...we did it in 3 hours...but we had to cut my old headers off...old bolts were seized...well one was ....two were able to come off after cutting the flange part...i plan on getting better bolts soon tho...probably this weekened before the big meet here in va....does anyone know the torque amount for all the bolts???...all in all im still satisfied...i had it on the lift last night...and didnt see any leak...and the bolts weren't loose so far so good...but i will replace those bolts real soon...this thread was a big help...
Old 10-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
You guys are missing the boat on the wrap. The noise reduction is only part of it. If you wrap the whole thing from the headers down to the cat, there is a power benefit.

The hotter you keep the pipes the better the hot exhaust will flow out. The exhaust starts cooling the moment it leaves the engine, the hotter it stays, the better it flows.

You only want to wrap it once. You should have each twist overlap by about a 1/4". You definitely want to wet (not soak) the wrap to make it more pliable and allow you to wrap it tightly.

You should allow it to dry completely before the install. If you don't want to wait, stick it in the oven at a low temperature to speed the drying process.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

interesting...point taken...
Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Got my headers this week and installed them myself. Took 4 hours with many beer breaks. :P Although I did take it to a shop and had them torch off the bolts at the cat since they were rusted solid. Shop installed new bolts and charged me $10 (i know the mechanics).
Thanks to the advice found on this thread, I went ahead and got new grade10 bolts and header wrap. The install was a breeze and fitment was great. I don't have any resonance or "wonks" and I'm wondering if I even needed the header wrap but whatever.

As far as performance, I wouldn't say its crazy faster like I'd hope but throttle response is less "boggy" than before. Also as noted by someone earlier, the VTEC groal is gone. It sounds quieter at engagement. Perhaps I need an intake and exhaust.

So thanks again guys for all header threads. Overall I'm very satisfied. I'll take my $1000 that I saved from not buying ct and spend it elsewhere, perhaps the suspension.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can you guys post pictures of wrapped down pipes?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Good job on installing them yourself, i was intimidated by the job but when i started it wasn't that hard at all. The VTEC growl will come back a little bit, just takes time for the headers to settle in and your ears to get use to the sound. It's good to see it looks like the quality of the headers are improving, I'm still glad I got some used Comptech's though, I wasn't impressed with XS...
Old 10-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
wow, is there any dyno numbers on these yet?
so the only problems is that they need new bolts gaskets etc. and need 2 be wrapped? Do they fit properly on stock exhaust? I am still not sold, and I am thinking maybe for $150 its worth a shot, but may be a waste of money and labor if I can get more power and quality from a $300 header..dunno
Old 10-29-2007, 11:12 PM
'01 SSM w/Blue Pearl CL-S

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
can you guys post pictures of wrapped down pipes?
im gonna finish wrapping my down pipe tomorrow... ill get some pics posted up then.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 AM
07 ASM TL

Originally Posted by Ralphie917
Does the dealer have replacement bolts? And how much does a gasket cost?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by weaselbob74
Does the dealer have replacement bolts? And how much does a gasket cost?
i bought new gaskets from an acura dealership they cost $36 for both. go to a hardware store to get your bolts because there very expensive at acura i got my nuts, bolts, and washers from lowes they cost $10 for all of them.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Advanced

I have had mine since May. I love them. No resonance or fitment issues. I got them installed for free in return for painting his spolier. The car pulls like crazy, especially in first and second gears. I used all of the included bolts and gaskets as well.

By the way, if anyone in Philly wants their stuff put on right, let me know and I'll give you the name and number of the guy who did it.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AARONSredTYPE-S
wow, is there any dyno numbers on these yet?
so the only problems is that they need new bolts gaskets etc. and need 2 be wrapped? Do they fit properly on stock exhaust? I am still not sold, and I am thinking maybe for $150 its worth a shot, but may be a waste of money and labor if I can get more power and quality from a $300 header..dunno

they dont NEED to be wrapped, and yes they fit fine on stock exhaust.

idk about 150 but i got my headers new for less than 100 shipped to my door and installed myself. imo in no way is that a waste of money. this is pretty much the cheapest bolt on for our cars.

and btw, what headers do you know that is 300 dollars and has better power gains and better quality??
Old 11-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by sinfulj32
they dont NEED to be wrapped, and yes they fit fine on stock exhaust.

idk about 150 but i got my headers new for less than 100 shipped to my door and installed myself. imo in no way is that a waste of money. this is pretty much the cheapest bolt on for our cars.

and btw, what headers do you know that is 300 dollars and has better power gains and better quality??
You're correct that you don't need to wrap the headers. Many people have wrapped the flex pipe and it appears that will eliminate some hissing and resonation.

If you don't wrap, your missing out on some gains. It's not 100% necessary, but the laws of thermodynamics say it is worth the time invested.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:45 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Do these headers rust much easier because they're not ceramic coated? I get a fair bit of snow and rain in Southern Ontario. Just wondering if any people in Canada or upper States have had any issues because of that. I do get my car rustproofed every year, which i think might help prevent any problems...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by gnuts
Do these headers rust much easier because they're not ceramic coated? I get a fair bit of snow and rain in Southern Ontario. Just wondering if any people in Canada or upper States have had any issues because of that. I do get my car rustproofed every year, which i think might help prevent any problems...
Everything I've seen about the rustproofing seems to say it's pretty worthless (including Consumer Reports). Expensive and the extra weight it adds can hurt gas mileage. Weekly car washes in the winter should be more then enough (and should be enough to keep the headers in good shape, get them hotcoated if you want more protection).
Old 11-21-2007, 02:43 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys, we should put all together the parts # required (bolts, gaskets) from Acura oem parts in this thread... so it will be easier for the people to buy it.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:22 AM
140,000 miles young

I second that!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Stainless steel doesn't rust.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by black label
You're correct that you don't need to wrap the headers. Many people have wrapped the flex pipe and it appears that will eliminate some hissing and resonation.

If you don't wrap, your missing out on some gains. It's not 100% necessary, but the laws of thermodynamics say it is worth the time invested.
Only for those with the noises. Mine are & have been quiet since day 1 as well as many others.

Quick Reply: *** XS Power Header Owner Thread ***