Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Verizon's Express Network now FREE

Old 06-18-2003, 08:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verizon's Express Network now FREE

Call up 1-866-658-8823 (option 2) and ask them to add the free Express Network to your Verizon account. It only uses up your minutes, whether they be peak or off peak, and is charged at $0.69 thereafter.

For those that dont know, Express Network is Verizon's 1X technology that gives you the ability to use your handheld phone as a modem via a data cable you connect to your laptop or PDA. It connects at speeds up to 144kps (in bursts), but usually levels off at about 60kps

Pricing for traditional Express Network was $35 for 150 data minutes, $55 for 400 data minutes, etc. Or $79.99 for unlimited data. I don't belive this promo is being marketed as of yet, but it is already available as long as you have a current America's Choice or SingleRate promo. Free Express Network should be rolled into newer price plans at the end of next month.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
This isn't for the mobileweb, is it???

I'd like to get that, but isn't it a $5.99 charge/month???
Old 06-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
ehh sounds cool but I don't think I'd ever use it.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

no no... u can get free mobile web too

go into the Browser Setup and create a New portal

set the WAP IP to 207.232.99.109 and set your homepage to http://wap.oa.yahoo.com

now u have free MobileWeb w/o paying $6.99 per month and it just comes away from your minutes.

Express Network is Verizon's highspeed data protocol
Old 06-18-2003, 08:30 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Not good... I don't see a browser setup on my LG4400
Old 06-18-2003, 08:35 PM
Movin on up...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Verizon's Express Network now FREE

Originally posted by YuppieCL
Call up 1-866-658-8823 (option 2) and ask them to add the free Express Network to your Verizon account. It only uses up your minutes, whether they be peak or off peak, and is charged at $0.69 thereafter.

For those that dont know, Express Network is Verizon's 1X technology that gives you the ability to use your handheld phone as a modem via a data cable you connect to your laptop or PDA. It connects at speeds up to 144kps (in bursts), but usually levels off at about 60kps

Pricing for traditional Express Network was $35 for 150 data minutes, $55 for 400 data minutes, etc. Or $79.99 for unlimited data. I don't belive this promo is being marketed as of yet, but it is already available as long as you have a current America's Choice or SingleRate promo. Free Express Network should be rolled into newer price plans at the end of next month.
look at this pimp go...He knows more about verizon then I do..what the fuck!!

He could be my rep!!

(DONT WAKE ME UP TO TALK BOUT CELL PHONES!!)
Old 06-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I can change the homepage, but I can't set a new portal... hmmmm
Old 06-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Scrib... i KNOW theres a way to do it on that phone. thats sounds like the right menu. change the homepage, then change the IP and save. let your new settings be your default.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Verizon's Express Network now FREE

Originally posted by mikeymobiles
look at this pimp go...He knows more about verizon then I do..what the fuck!!

He could be my rep!!

(DONT WAKE ME UP TO TALK BOUT CELL PHONES!!)
STFU n00b!

i've always known more about Verizon than you, even now that i don't work in the industry anymore! :P
Old 06-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Woot, I got it!
Old 06-18-2003, 11:41 PM
Race Director

There a way to do this with Sprint, too. I'm surprised you're just finding out about this. But I'm not going to post the Sprint solution here. You can....

Read the cellular newsgroups, it's all there. There is always a way to hack...hope you don't get caught and they shut you off. Sprint has an "abuse" clause. BTW, using up your minutes is not exactly "free". That doesn't exactly make the entire Verizon Express network free if it is taking away from the minutes you paid for.

Oh and also to hook up your phone as a modem, don't you need to buy a cable? And setup a DUN connection? And while your "surfing the web", you can't get any phone calls on the phone. Does this work on all 4 of their phones?

56k speeds and better is pretty good. I regularly get in the 80s and 90s so while in the airport or driving down the road (where there is no 802.11), it's great.

Verizon need to get people to use their wireless web "2G browser" since they only have a couple of thousand people using it. When they upgrade to 3G on the browser, they will charge by the kilobyte instead of the minute. Scrib, can you now download those games and ringers and stuff for free?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:03 AM
on bin laden

Originally posted by kensteele
There a way to do this with Sprint, too. I'm surprised you're just finding out about this. But I'm not going to post the Sprint solution here. You can....

Read the cellular newsgroups, it's all there. There is always a way to hack...hope you don't get caught and they shut you off. Sprint has an "abuse" clause. BTW, using up your minutes is not exactly "free". That doesn't exactly make the entire Verizon Express network free if it is taking away from the minutes you paid for.

Oh and also to hook up your phone as a modem, don't you need to buy a cable? And setup a DUN connection? And while your "surfing the web", you can't get any phone calls on the phone. Does this work on all 4 of their phones?

56k speeds and better is pretty good. I regularly get in the 80s and 90s so while in the airport or driving down the road (where there is no 802.11), it's great.

Verizon need to get people to use their wireless web "2G browser" since they only have a couple of thousand people using it. When they upgrade to 3G on the browser, they will charge by the kilobyte instead of the minute. Scrib, can you now download those games and ringers and stuff for free?
let me start of by saying i'm not aware of this "promo" so I can't say one way or the other if it works.

it would be quite a deal if it is true. it is basically $30 on top of a normal price plan to turn your minutes into 3g1x data minutes. that'd be killer for you guys. also, i am not familiar with the "free" WAP server.

so ken, if what yuppie is saying is true, you are saying sprint offers the same thing? are you talking about the free 3g1x data connection or the WAP browsing? Of course, WAP browsing is only on vision, so you must mean the legacy 2G sprint users?

what's this about four phones? did you know that every verizon wireless phone sold today works with the 3G express network? there's like 20 phones. the other things you mention are irrelevant to the topic. obviously you need a cable to use your laptop wireless with a phone. not sure what you mean by "DUN connection" ... dial up number? ya ... big deal ???? can't receive calls ... uh huh ... i don't get your point. or were you rambling?

speeds, yes, not bad. the special configuration we have in minneapolis allow me to hit 130 Kbps pretty consistantly. it's all end user perception anyways. we were watching streaming media while driving 80 mph the road with EVDO. that will be tight. all the other 3G services (MMS, PTT, WAP, BREW, etc.) are done, just waiting to ramp things up slowly on the 3G network. you'll see them all before the end of the summer. i dunno how billing will be ... who cares
Old 06-19-2003, 12:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by fbazakos
the other things you mention are irrelevant to the topic. obviously you need a cable to use your laptop wireless with a phone. not sure what you mean by "DUN connection" ... dial up number? ya ... big deal ???? can't receive calls ... uh huh ... i don't get your point. or were you rambling?

speeds, yes, not bad. the special configuration we have in minneapolis allow me to hit 130 Kbps pretty consistantly. it's all end user perception anyways. we were watching streaming media while driving 80 mph the road with EVDO. that will be tight. all the other 3G services (MMS, PTT, WAP, BREW, etc.) are done, just waiting to ramp things up slowly on the 3G network. you'll see them all before the end of the summer. i dunno how billing will be ... who cares
its some sort of new, unadvertised/unmarketed promo. it turns your voice minutes into data minutes, including your night and weekend minutes. i dunno, but in my book, that kicks ass! (being a PAYING verizon wireless customer now. we can't all have the luxury of no cell phone bill..... FOTIS!)

yes, u need a data/usb cable. if u buy the mobile office kit it comes with the software and drivers you need to get the ball rolling in no time. other than that u can buy a generic data cable and setup your Dial Up Networking on Windows to log on. fairly simple. just download drivers.

Access number: #777
Username: yournumber@vzw3g.com (9085551234@vzw3g.com)
Password: vzw

only other thing u need is to get your market specific modem initialization string. u can call up verizon to get that.

who cares if u cant receive phone calls when ur online ken! sprint have a dedicated channel for data calls i dont know about? can u use your sprint phone in unison with your laptop and simutaneously make a phone call? cant wait till everything on verizon uses 1X. it would be key for MMS and BREW.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:33 AM
4dr & I like it that way

we're talking bits and not bytes here right? 144kbytes would be pretty damn impressive if you werent. i have an at&t gsm phone, they charge by the kilobyte for web access, pretty gay
Old 06-19-2003, 12:36 AM
on bin laden

only other thing u need is to get your market specific modem initialization string. u can call up verizon to get that.

who cares if u cant receive phone calls when ur online ken! sprint have a dedicated channel for data calls i dont know about? can u use your sprint phone in unison with your laptop and simutaneously make a phone call? cant wait till everything on verizon uses 1X. it would be key for MMS and BREW.
what's the initialization string? and market specific? i don't think so ... can you explain what you are trying to say?

patience grasshopper about the services coming over 1X. they are done, they work, they fly. things must work nearly perfect in order for us to release it to the public.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:39 AM
Suzuka Master

question for all youz verizon geeks in here,
can any Pocket PCs available in the market today be outfitted with a Compact Flash Card Antennae to pick up the Express Network or something?

Verizon's samsung i700 is pretty sick but $599 is some
serious coinage. I was thinking of picking up an inexpensive Dell Axim Pocket PC, and buying a CF card to give it wireless access?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:42 AM
on bin laden

Originally posted by Davediego
we're talking bits and not bytes here right? 144kbytes would be pretty damn impressive if you werent. i have an at&t gsm phone, they charge by the kilobyte for web access, pretty gay
coming from a computer science background I am very sensitive to these terminalogies, and it pains me to see them bastardized on a daily basis.

mental note for you all:

a lower case b (ie: b) stands for one bit

a capital b (ie: B) stands for one byte which is eight bits.

so Kbps reads "kilo bits per second" and KBps reads "kilo bytes per second"

the 3G1X-RTT standard that verizon and sprint sell for tethered data indicates a theoretical maximum of 144 Kbps.

the 2.5G (read: two and a half generation) data solution that at&t sells on the GSM network is called GPRS. it is capable of approximately half the throughput of the 3G1X-RTT standard that verizon and sprint use. YMMV based on RF and network quality.

on verizon wireless you have your choice of three billing methods. per megabyte (used by businesses mostly), per minute (now free as indicated by yuppie in this thread), or unlimited for $79.99 per month. i will not speak towards sprint's price plans.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:44 AM
on bin laden

Originally posted by KavexTrax
question for all youz verizon geeks in here,
can any Pocket PCs available in the market today be outfitted with a Compact Flash Card Antennae to pick up the Express Network or something?

Verizon's samsung i700 is pretty sick but $599 is some
serious coinage. I was thinking of picking up an inexpensive Dell Axim Pocket PC, and buying a CF card to give it wireless access?
no, i have seen these, but i doubt there is enough demand to sell. ken might have one on the way for sprint. your only option is to do what i do with my iPAQ. get the PCMCIA expansion pack and throw the aircard in there. you could then use it on your laptop as well. i have two because i'm lazy, but you get the idea.

599 is a great price point for that product, considering what you are getting.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:42 AM
Drifting

no no... u can get free mobile web too

go into the Browser Setup and create a New portal

set the WAP IP to 207.232.99.109 and set your homepage to http://wap.oa.yahoo.com

now u have free MobileWeb w/o paying $6.99 per month and it just comes away from your minutes.

Express Network is Verizon's highspeed data protocol
Yuppie, would this work the same way with a T720? I'd like some more info on how to do it with my phone.

Edit- I followed the steps you mentioned, but there were two WAP IPs (1 and 2). I changd number one and entered the homepage, then launched the browser. It seems to be working, and it has me on as a guest. Is this all I need to do? And is this free? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:46 AM
Administrator Alumnus

OK, I just called that number and the guy had no idea what I was talking about.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:52 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by kensteele
Scrib, can you now download those games and ringers and stuff for free?
Nope...

I see where verizon is coming from by making you pay, but damn... $1.99 for a friggin' ringtone. A little steep if you ask me.

All I want a stinking Simpson's ringtone. Is that too much to ask!!!???
Old 06-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by GOOSE
Yuppie, would this work the same way with a T720? I'd like some more info on how to do it with my phone.

Edit- I followed the steps you mentioned, but there were two WAP IPs (1 and 2). I changd number one and entered the homepage, then launched the browser. It seems to be working, and it has me on as a guest. Is this all I need to do? And is this free? Thanks.
i also use the POS t720.
ur doing it correctly. it has u logged in as a guest because since this isn't "verizon featured content" it wont save ur username and password info. u pay that $7.99 BS fee with verizon to have your content personalized without looking for it. for some its worth the money out of convenience. i'd rather save my 8 bucks and do it myself since i use mobile web like twice a week.

u dont HAVE to use yahoo as your homepage, u can use wap.espn.com or others (which i can't think of right now) that would more suitably fit your needs. just do a search for WAP content or websites. with the yahoo u can still get news, sports, weather, movie times, etc. for free, and thats the stuff most people use WAP for anyway. i think its way too tedious to check ur email or IM via WAP.... i'd drive myself crazy....
Old 06-19-2003, 10:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by fbazakos
what's the initialization string? and market specific? i don't think so ... can you explain what you are trying to say?

patience grasshopper about the services coming over 1X. they are done, they work, they fly. things must work nearly perfect in order for us to release it to the public.
my terminology may be a little novice, but what i was basically trying to say is that each market has a modem ini string u need to enter in DUN to get 1X to work on your phone. granted, the only reason you'd need this is if u decided to take the cheapo route and buy the generic data cable versus the mobile office kit, which already comes setup.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Scrib
OK, I just called that number and the guy had no idea what I was talking about.
keep calling that number. its hit or miss when you get a cust serv rep on the phone. when i called the lady knew what i was talking about but had to go get the promo code from her boss.

just say "hi, i was told to give you guys a call because i hear u have a new add-on promo that allows me to use Express Network with my included minutes at no additional cost. from what i hear its meant for those who use more voice minutes than data minutes and dont have the need to buy separate data minutes"

most verizon cust serv reps have no clue what they're talking about, thats why i said to call the data group rather than 611.

oh Eric, and there ARE ways to get free ringtones from Get It Now. u need a data cable and u need to purchase at least one ring tone. u basically trick your phone into thinking it never downloaded the ringtone and u still have your 1 download credit in tact. sort of a hack. just do a search on it. my friend has the 4400 as well and he downloads dozens of free ring tones and even figured out a way to have those demo games never expire so u can play them as long as u want. very cool
Old 06-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

god damnit, I just need to mail my 4400 to you Yuppie.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:16 AM
on bin laden

my terminology may be a little novice, but what i was basically trying to say is that each market has a modem ini string u need to enter in DUN to get 1X to work on your phone. granted, the only reason you'd need this is if u decided to take the cheapo route and buy the generic data cable versus the mobile office kit, which already comes setup.
are you referring to the vanity code? you can dial several numbers (ie: #777, #762, #19858) and it could connect you to either QNC or express network.

my problem with what you are saying is that something is market dependent. that is not the case.

there is a modem initialization string, but that is dependent on the device. you shouldn't have to touch that either.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Administrator Alumnus

OK, I got it...

The person whom I spoke with said that it's only available in certain areas, but didn't go into specifics.

What he did mention is that regardless of when you use this, it ALWAYS comes out of your regular minutes and it'll never come out of the unlimited nights & weekends... Disappointing, but still very cool to know I have this access whenever I need it.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:29 AM
Professional Lurker

can someone give me instructions on how to change the IP address on my T720, I did it once with the help of a verizon operator, but I don't remember the code sequence that was necessary to punch in........
Old 06-20-2003, 09:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

i had to change my plan, but I got it...

Now I gotta get one o' dem cable doo-whackies so I can git on da intarnet from n-3-wh3re.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

well fuck, the rep I talked to said they the only one she saw was for a $79.99 unlimited data minutes, then I was like, no, there is a promo code to have it added to your service plan, but you don't have to buy seperate data minutes, then she said let me check with the data group.

She comes back 3 minutes later and says, nope, I don't know about any promo code, do you know what it is? I'm like fuck no. Then I explained that I knew for a fact some people who got the express network added to their plan at no additional cost. She said, well, according to the data group, there is nothing I can do. Either you'll have to pay an additional 80 bucks a month for data calls, or no data for you!

/rant

ugh, stupid people, anyone know the promo code?
Old 06-20-2003, 10:14 AM
I have the need for speed

Guys, in order to get the new EN promo added to your account, you need to extend your contract. All new activations and renewals will have the EN added to their account. EN Promo code varies from area. I have extended my contract and EN is working fine for me. For all you guys with the LG VX4400, here's the site that shows you how to do it. LG VX4400 You will need a cable to use the phone as a wireless modem, add the free ringers, games, and wallpaper for the Picture Caller ID. You can get it from Radioshack for $20. Its made by Futuredial. You can get the drivers off their site. Have fun.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

damnit, I want EN, but I can't find anyone smart enough to add it to my service plan.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:38 PM
on bin laden

haha. i have it. :P
Old 06-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Hmmm...

It was NEVER disclosed to me that I'd have to extend my contract to get this promo.

But I've only had Verizon service for three weeks, so I could really give a shit. But if they do that, that's pretty shady...
Old 06-20-2003, 03:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

heh, verizon customer service ownz j00, the lady I spoke with earlier today _just_ called me back completly out of the blue and apologized for giving me incorrect information. She said in a nutshell, the guy in the data group she asked about it was a dumbass, but she later found out that I could get EN at no extra charge, I just needed to upgrade my plan.

I now have EN. Sweet.

Suckaz!
Old 06-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I just wanted you hoes to know that im sitting in the car outside of radio shack, posting this message via express network.

EN is the shit.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by mantis23
I just wanted you hoes to know that im sitting in the car outside of radio shack, posting this message via express network.

EN is the shit.
good shit!

i gotta get me a new laptop before i get to truly enjoy EN. I have some old POS laptop and i'm really not sure at all what the min req are for having EN on a laptop. anyone? Fotis?

i'm gonna stop attempting to talk technical terms before Fotis slaps me around and calls me his bitch.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:37 AM
on bin laden

good shit!

i gotta get me a new laptop before i get to truly enjoy EN. I have some old POS laptop and i'm really not sure at all what the min req are for having EN on a laptop. anyone? Fotis?

i'm gonna stop attempting to talk technical terms before Fotis slaps me around and calls me his bitch.

moses, i'm sorry, i didn't mean at all to come across like that. i just want to clarify things, that's all. you know the pain I experience when reads the threads on alt.cellular or howardforums ... the so called "experts" ... makes me scared to ask car questions on here.

anyways. you can probably get it to work on your old POS laptop. It just needs to be able to support the physical connection to the mobile device, and run an OS that is support by one of the drivers. heck, you can even use a serial cable to connect to the express network if you laptop doesn't have USB. there is a theretical maximum of serial connections around 70-80 Kbps, so you won't get the full experience, but it'll be close.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Professional Lurker

sorta off the topic, but as long as we are talkin about verizon phones.....does anyone know any WAP websites where I can get free ringtones, wall papers, etc.....I found a few but they wuoldn't work with verizon phones........
Old 06-21-2003, 05:36 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
I just got the T720, and I wanted free WAP access which I got. But im not sure if it takes my minutes, can someone tell me if this is ok?

http://pub2.ezboard.com/fmotorolat72...opicID=1.topic

This is what the website says,
This is a free service. I don't know about other providers but this doesn't use up any of my minutes with Verizon.
If you follow these instructions, it will not overwrite your current provider's settings - just create a new option.

On your phone, go to:
Menu
Settings
Browser Setup
New Entry

Change the Following:
Name: Whatever You Want
Homepage: wap.yahoo.com
WAP IP: 207.232.99.109
WAP Port should be 9201

Don't change anything else and just launch it.
Now this is a free service so it experiences more down-time than if you were to pay service.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does this take any minutes away from my phone? Is it really free, it seems like it doesnt go thru verizon charges.

Quick Reply: Verizon's Express Network now FREE