United Airlines - Page 10 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

United Airlines

Old 04-27-2017, 07:11 PM

Thanked 1,343 Times in 947 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser View Post
I was kind of hoping to see this get dragged through the courts.

I wonder how many million$ he got. I'd say at least 5.

what you did there, I see it!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:17 PM
_

Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,342 Posts
One by one, airlines changing their practices thanks to Dao's refusal to give up his paid for seat.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/southwe...une-1493320790

Southwest To End Overbooking on Flights By June

April 27, 2017

Southwest Airlines Co. said Thursday that it would end overselling of seats on its flights by the end of June, accelerating the move in the wake of the furor surrounding efforts to remove a United Airlines flier earlier this month.

Airlines typically sell more seats than an aircraft’s capacity because of no-shows, though Southwest’s focus on airport-to-airport flying means it is less exposed to delayed connecting passengers compared with carriers such as United Continental Holdings Inc. that operate big hubs.

Southwest follows JetBlue Airways Corp., which already avoids overselling. Other carriers continue to support the longtime practice on the basis that ensuring flights fly as full as possible helps to lower overall fares.

Mr. Kelly said Southwest typically oversells just one seat on a jet carrying 143 passengers, and expects a “fairly small” revenue impact that would be counteracted by a drop in costs from lower compensation payments.

But Southwest required almost 15,000 passengers to give up their seats involuntarily last year—more than the combined total of United, American Airlines Group Inc. and Delta Air Lines Inc. Some 80% of the Southwest total was caused by overselling, with the balance to make way for airline crew, said executives on a quarterly earnings’ call Thursday.

“I never get complaints from our customers about overbooking,” said Mr. Kelly, admitting it hadn’t been on his list of priorities before the United Express incident on April 9.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:30 PM
Dan
Registered Member

Old 04-27-2017, 07:41 PM

Old 04-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

omg.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:53 AM
Stay Metal

Now that there will be no overbooking, airlines will use that excuse to jack up rates.

If Dr. Dao flies with United ever again, you know he got lifetime free flights.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanked 1,624 Times in 991 Posts
^ Which is crazy that they (Southwest) knee-jerked that far b/c the Dr. Dao incident had NOTHING to do with overbooking...

That said, overbooking will not stop industry-wide... it's just being approached differently now.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Apparently United has settled with Dr. Dao for an undisclosed sum. That was quick!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:11 AM
2006 RRP TL "The Comrade"

Originally Posted by juniorbean View Post
^ Which is crazy that they (Southwest) knee-jerked that far b/c the Dr. Dao incident had NOTHING to do with overbooking...

That said, overbooking will not stop industry-wide... it's just being approached differently now.
Exactly.

Even though the facts do not support the overbooking media hype, it has become reality because of mis-reporting and everyone thinks its a huge issue now. So the appropriate response, which I would direct as well if I were an aviation executive, is to respond to the perceived reality and do much as I can do improve the overbooking process as it is perceived.

Because if you do nothing or try to defend it and try to reveal the true facts...you'll look like a huge douche and that can hurt bottom line...all about the public perception...even if it is incorrect...
Old 04-28-2017, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cM3go View Post
I'm guessing this won't go to trial, UAL is going to try to settle. They will do whatever they can to bury this story as quick as possible. The guy is being a little over dramatic that it was more harrowing then fleeing to Vietnam. Give me a break. It's stupid United will have to pay out for an officer or two's stupidity in this situation. It's not like United asked them to beat this guy senseless. Reasonably, United should compensate him (several thousands) for a major inconvenience, pay for his medical bills and try to make good with him as a customer, but lawyers will make this situation in a huge deal. Flight prices will creep up for them to recoup the loss for sure.

Called it.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:52 AM
_

Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
Now that there will be no overbooking, airlines will use that excuse to jack up rates.
Damn you, Dr. Dao.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,727 Posts

If Dr. Dao flies with United ever again, you know he got lifetime free flights.
They should not even sell the ticket to him. Now United should at least have that right NOT to sell the ticket to him.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
They should not even sell the ticket to him. Now United should at least have that right NOT to sell the ticket to him.
I heard that the Capital One Venture Card has no blackout days or seat restrictions.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Well Dr. Dao better go apply for 1. I think every airline will be scared to have him on board now.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:24 AM
_

At least the flights weren't cancelled after they boarded

#Florida

Old 05-10-2017, 03:14 AM
_

Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Owners of dead giant rabbit on United flight seek damages, probe | Reuters

Owners of dead giant rabbit on United flight seek damages, probe

May 8, 2017

The owners of a giant rabbit named Simon who was found dead after a United Airlines flight demanded on Monday that the airline pay damages, order an outside investigation and re-evaluate how it handles animals on flights.

Attorneys for Simon's owners, who purchased him in hopes of winning the title of world's largest rabbit at the Iowa State Fair this summer, said they would take legal action if United failed to respond within seven days.

The lawyers say it is possible the 3-foot-long (1-meter) hare died after being placed in a freezer for 16 hours upon landing in Chicago on a flight from London. They say the airline then destroyed his remains without permission.

"United Airlines can issue any statement they like but their company's credibility is under question when they immediately cremate the giant rabbit Simon without anyone's consent," said Guy Cook, lead attorney for the three-person investment group that owned the rabbit. "They destroyed the proof."

United Airlines [UAL.N] spokesman Charles Hobart denied Simon died in a freezer. He said in a written statement the company was reviewing a letter outlining the claims, was saddened by Simon's death and takes its responsibilities for transporting pets seriously. The statement did not say how much the owners were seeking in damages.

Hobart said the hare arrived in Chicago in apparent good condition and was seen moving around his kennel some 35 minutes later.

"Shortly thereafter, a kennel representative noticed Simon was motionless and that he had passed away," Hobart said. He did not address the cremation allegations.

Cook said it would be difficult to establish a cause of death because the rabbit's remains had been destroyed but, in the letter, demanded that United turn over all records of its investigation, including closed-circuit television footage.

The attorney also requested an independent investigation as well as compensatory and economic and punitive damages.

Cook said that Simon, a Continental rabbit whose father is considered the world's largest hare, was expected to exceed his father's size to claim that title and that his owners should be compensated for their potential economic losses from exhibiting him.

The investment group purchased Simon from a breeder in England and was flying him to the United States, where he would have been displayed at the Iowa State Fair in August and ultimately crowned world's largest rabbit, Cook said.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

There have been too many of these lately. I think it is backfiring. We know Airlines are not doing anything differently, so something has changed for all these news about airlines to surface.

There is another incident with UA about the ground agent told an passenger that if she did not stop filming, her reservation would be canceled.
and the AU fool is suing AA for being sandwiched between 2 fat Americans.

I mean, when was the last time that any of US Carriers was known for its service globally? The only thing i expect from domestic airlines is to get me from point A to B safely. I expect nothing more than that.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AZuser View Post
At least the flights weren't cancelled after they boarded

#Florida
that's the spirit.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Thanked 5,741 Times in 4,605 Posts
Originally Posted by brian2 View Post
that's the Spirit.

fixed
Old 05-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Thanked 1,130 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
There have been too many of these lately. I think it is backfiring. We know Airlines are not doing anything differently, so something has changed for all these news about airlines to surface.

There is another incident with UA about the ground agent told an passenger that if she did not stop filming, her reservation would be canceled.
and the AU fool is suing AA for being sandwiched between 2 fat Americans.

I mean, when was the last time that any of US Carriers was known for its service globally? The only thing i expect from domestic airlines is to get me from point A to B safely. I expect nothing more than that.
If you knew what really goes on behind the scenes in airline maintenance, you'd be shocked.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:36 PM

Could be worse, United telling you to pee in a cup.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:43 PM

Time to start fist fighting other passengers for better seats on Southwest. Who needs A boarding group!

Old 05-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Stay Metal

Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 PM
I am #76,361,211,935

Meanwhile in Canada. WestJet makes passengers have a dance off for free upgraded seats.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...ssengers_have/
Old 05-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanked 4,319 Times in 3,107 Posts
+2

Old 05-10-2017, 10:42 PM
2006 RRP TL "The Comrade"

Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
fixed
Flying Spirit next week....and seeing all this maybe I need to brush up on my karate skills.................
Old 05-10-2017, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

getting buff before I flight united. need to start breaking necks
Old 05-10-2017, 11:16 PM

Thanked 5,741 Times in 4,605 Posts
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
getting buff before I flight united. need to start breaking necks
Just have pics of your car plastered all over you
Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Stay Metal

Sweep the foot
Old 05-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Stay Metal

Another day another video:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...421705223.html

Airline apologizes for confrontation

By Chris Chmura and Rick Lambert

The high-profile, increasingly videotaped, and often viral battle between airlines and their passengers ensnared a Hercules frequent flyer this past weekend.

He says a United Airlines agent canceled his trip for doing what other frustrated passengers have done to prove their case: videotaping an airline worker.New Video, Audio Recordings Show United Incident as It Unfolded

As the saga surrounding United Express Flight 3411 continues to unfold, new video and audio recordings have been released by authorities showing what happened in the moments before and after a passenger was dragged off the aircraft in Chicago earlier this month. Charlie Wojciechowski reports.
(Published Tuesday, April 25, 2017)Navang Oza, 37, posted an unedited clip of lengthy interaction with a ticket counter worker in New Orleans.

“Stop! Stop! Put it down now,” the agent says in the video.

The 4 a.m. confrontation occurred in New Orleans when Oza was checking in for his flight home to San Francisco. Oza says he was told it would cost $300 to check the same bulky bag that cost $125 on the way there.

"In trying to get an answer, the lady was being rude," he said. So, he started recording.

(Published Tuesday, May 2, 2017)The clip begins with her pointing her finger at him. “You did not have my permission to videotape,” the agent says.

Next, she appears to instruct an agent to her left. “Cancel the reservation,” she says.

“I want to know why,” Oza asks.

“Because you did not have my permission,” she said.

Oza said he was shocked.

"I was shocked because I didn't know she had the right to cancel my flight because I started recording," he said.

About a minute after ordering his trip canceled for taping her, the United agent is seen recording Oza.

“I’ll do the same thing,” she said, pointing her smartphone at Oza’s.

Some airlines do prohibit photography on the plane. But NBC Bay Area aviation analyst Mike McCarron says those restrictions don't apply inside airports.

"The woman was incorrect,” McCarron said. “[Oza] doesn't have to have her permission to film. He's in a public area, and he can film as much as he wants. As long as he's in a public area and so is she."

Oza said the United agent eventually called airport police. Oza was still rolling when an officer appeared.

“Can I at least keep this recording?” Oza asks the officer. The officer replies, “Sir, you have the right to do whatever you want; it’s a public space.”

Oza admits he had alcohol in his system from the night before and hadn’t slept much. But possible intoxication wasn’t why the United agent canceled his reservation. Her distaste for the video clip was.

“Until that [clip] is erased, you’re not traveling,” she tells Oza.

United Airlines is investigating.

In a statement, the airline said, “The video does not reflect the positive customer experience we strive to offer, and for that we apologize. We are reviewing this situation, including talking with Mr. Oza and our employees to better understand what happened.“

Oza's footage joins a string of other recent, regrettable airline videos. He encourages frustrated passengers to continue taping.

"If people are being rude, if people are making up rules at kiosks of airlines, I feel like that's something we should be recording and sharing with everyone," he said.

Oza said he ended up buying a one-way ticket on a different airline. He wants United to pay for that trip and cancel his future travel on United without a penalty.

Source: United Agent Cancels Man's Trip For Taping Argument NBC Bay Area
United Agent Cancels Man's Trip For Taping Argument | NBC Bay Area
Follow us: @NBCBayArea on Twitter NBCBayArea on Facebook

Last edited by oo7spy; 05-11-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 PM

Old 05-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

I swear, people are just stupid..... when the seatbelt sign is on, you sit down! if you knew you had a over active bladder, do something about it BEFORE you board the plane. You are a nurse, you should know what to prepare!!

Pee in a cup is a lot less serious than injuries from unexpected turbulence!

Kansas City mom humiliated, shamed after forced to pee in cup on - KCTV5

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -A Kansas City mom says she was humiliated and shamed on a United Airlines flight with her family.

She had to go to the bathroom, and flight attendants handed her a plastic cup. Then, they shamed her and told her they would report her.

Nicole Harper is the mother of two and has an overactive bladder. She says she was heading home from Houston with her family when she really had to use the restroom.

“It's a little embarrassing to come forward,” she said.

Harper is less than thrilled to share what happened 30 minutes into her flight.

“I'll just get up and go to the bathroom really quick and go back to my seat,” Harper said.

She says a flight attendant told her to sit down.

“They started doing drink service other people getting up at this point,” she said.

Including a first-class passenger, Harper was ready for her turn when flight attendants told her the pilot was expecting turbulence.

Harper told the flight attendant she needed to use the restroom and it was urgent.

“She told me very rudely it was not allowed to get out of my seat,” she recalled.

Harper weighed her options

“Well, I'm going to need a cup then," she said.

Harper was wearing a dress she could do a squat over the seat and just use a cup. She says she filled two cups with the help of her husband.

“I was thinking I was on candid camera or being punked at this point,” she said.

Harper says a flight attendant came back and told her to stand up and go empty her cups in the bathroom.

“She was basically reprimanding me and talking down to me through the aisle with other people listening,” she said.

Harper says the flight attendant told her they would report her. The pilot would speak to her when the plane landed and the seats would all need to be cleaned by a biohazard team.

“There was just no customer service no compassion,” she said.

United Airlines issued the following statement:

Customer safety is always our first priority. Initial reports from the Mesa Airlines flight attendants indicate that Ms. Harper attempted to visit the lavatory on descent and was instructed to remain seated with the seat belt fastened per FAA regulations. At no point during the flight did flight attendants suggest that Ms. Harper use cups instead of the lavatory. We have reached out to Ms. Harper to better understand what occurred.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

She was standing in line or at least waiting while the lavatory was in use. I wouldn't chalk this up to waiting too long or poorly managing her body quite yet.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Standing in line or not, when the seatbelt sign is up and the flight attendant tells you to go back to your seat or sit down, you do it....

If she has a overactive bladder, she should know better. Prepare an adult diaper or an urine leg bag. People who have medical conditions usually prepare what they need in case of emergency. If you have asthma, you have an inhaler with you and probably a back up inhaler too. You have an overactive bladder, you have your supply with you since there is not always the option to go to the restroom, in the sky or on land. I mean these are just common sense.

Unless this is her first time flying, otherwise, this is not the first time it has happened and probably won't be the last time someone tells her to sit down when they are expecting turbulence.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

You seem to have a strong opinion about an event you have little to no confirmed details on. You also sound like you have no compassion similar to the flight attendant in the story. I've been on the shitter while hitting turbulence and the captain turned on the seatbelt light. I didn't pinch it off and run back to my seat, and I didn't have a risk of injury. The lavatory is not the high risk area to be in during turbulence. It's not like you can move in there any way.

Sometimes you have to go, and other humans can't stop it no matter their authority. Would it have been that big of a deal to let the lady pee for a minute versus making biohazard claims? The attendants are lucky she went in a cup and not her seat.

Also, "wear a diaper."

Last edited by oo7spy; 05-11-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

I don't have all the details. But i do know that the airline and the flight attendant is just following what the FAA requires them to do.
Every case is a special case and everyone thinks they are special in their own way.
It is fine if you did not run back to your seat. But when a flight attendant asked you to, are you gonna refuse? and start a whole debate with the flight attendant?

But you are right, when you need to go then you need to go, no one can stop that. But sometimes you just dont get to choose where to go.
Should the fly attendant be more compassionate? No, in this case, if she did get injured because the flight attendant allowed her to go, you can bet that passenger will turn around and sue UA for not following FAA regulations.

To keep you and your family as safe as possible during flight, FAA regulations require passengers to be seated with their seat belts fastened:
  • When the airplane leaves the gate and as it climbs after take-off.
  • During landing and taxi.
  • Whenever the seat belt sign is illuminated during flight.
Why is it important to follow these safety regulations? Consider this:
  • In nonfatal accidents, in-flight turbulence is the leading cause of injuries to airline passengers and flight attendants.
  • Each year, approximately 58 people in the United States are injured by turbulence while not wearing their seat belts.
  • From 1980 through 2008, U.S. air carriers had 234 turbulence accidents*, resulting in 298 serious injuries and three fatalities.
  • Of the 298 serious injuries, 184 involved flight attendants and 114 involved passengers.
  • At least two of the three fatalities involved passengers who were not wearing their seat belts while the seat belt sign was illuminated.
  • Generally, two-thirds of turbulence-related accidents occur at or above 30,000 feet.
https://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_safe/turbulence/

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-11-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator

So four passengers a year are "injured" during turbulence incidents and you're telling me I have to sit down and piss my pants dress?

Old 05-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator

That's the kind of shit that when presented with the situation, you look at her dead pan and straight up say, "Lady, I've been on the back of a fucking pissed off bull who just had his nuts squashed. I can handle a little turbulence."
Old 05-11-2017, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by oo7spy View Post
So four passengers a year are "injured" during turbulence incidents and you're telling me I have to sit down and piss my pants dress?

That is the thing. That is the FAA regulation. I am not here to debate whether the rules are reasonable or logical. Rather, it is what it is, the airlines and the flight attendants have to follow those rules.

If FAA says the airline or the flight crews have the ability to make the judgement call, then yah they should have helped her to the restroom.

Is this one of those things that you know what is the right thing to do, but do you want to do the right thing and risk being sued for negligence or you just follow the rules and piss off the passengers.
It is one thing that the passenger just went the restroom and the flight crew didn't see anything, it is another that the woman straight up asked the flight attendant. What do you expect the flight attendant to do in that situation?

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-11-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Personally, 50% of the time i don't even have my seat belt fastened through the entire flight and a lot of the times the flight attendant don't even notice.... but i am not gonna go up to her and say "hey can i not fastened my seat belt? because statistically, nothing is gonna happen"

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.