AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Ramblings (https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/)
-   -   United Airlines (https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/united-airlines-956910/)

Tonyware 04-10-2017 10:58 AM

United Airlines

First they don't let a couple of girls wearing leggings to board a flight, Then they forcefully kick out a doctor, who paid his ticket in advance, so that their own employees on a stand-by list can fly...

One may wonder what is going on over there...?

thoiboi 04-10-2017 10:59 AM

Their PR team is working overtime that's for sure :tomato:

Whiskers 04-10-2017 11:47 AM

They should have tazed him

97BlackAckCL 04-10-2017 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers (Post 15995315)
They should have tazed him

Don't taze me bro

svtmike 04-10-2017 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by oo7spy (Post 15995374)
Dallas...

Nope, Chicago to Louisville.

oo7spy 04-10-2017 12:44 PM

Dammit. You quoted me before I deleted it. I read American Airlines. I was commenting on their HQ. :blush:

AZuser 04-10-2017 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 15995292)
Their PR team is working overtime that's for sure :tomato:

Munoz wants to win next year's PR Week annual award

http://i.imgur.com/TiUmMvL.png

underdog 04-10-2017 01:49 PM

Unfortunate PR for United caused by social media warriors.

First they don't let a couple of girls wearing leggings to board a flight,
1) The girls were flying on complimentary passes. (either they were UAL employees or family members of UAL employees)
As such, they are subject to specific airline rules regarding attire and behaviour.
2) The girls had no problem with being informed they could not travel in their current attire. The media firestorm
was caused by a passenger who overheard the agent informing the girls that their attire was inappropriate. The
ill-informed passenger was indignant about the perceived discrimination.

Then they forcefully kick out a doctor, who paid his ticket in advance,
Flight crew are the law onboard an aircraft. Once advised that he was required to surrender his seat and deplane, the
passenger's refusal constituted interference with the flight crew performing their duties. That's against the law (CFR 14 121.580).
The police were called in to remove the passenger. (In the video it looks like an Air Marshall actually did the removing)
The passenger's refusal to comply and resistance resulted in his rough handling.

.. so that their own employees on a stand-by list can fly...
As a former contractor to United I can assure you that revenue passengers are their #1 priority. Accommodating non-revenue
passengers is prioritized in the order: (1) contractors, (2) United employees travelling for airline business, (3) United employees
and family members travelling on comp passes. The exception is when the travel of UAL personnel (or contractors) is absolutely
necessary to the operation of the airline, then they may be prioritized above revenue passengers.

In this case, I suspect the UAL personnel were either flight crew that had to get to Louisville to crew a flight departing from Louisville,
or they were mechanics/technicians who had to get there to repair an aircraft to keep it in revenue service.

Mizouse 04-10-2017 02:28 PM

:popcorn:

thoiboi 04-10-2017 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by underdog (Post 15995464)
Unfortunate PR for United caused by social media warriors.

1) The girls were flying on complimentary passes. (either they were UAL employees or family members of UAL employees)
As such, they are subject to specific airline rules regarding attire and behaviour.
2) The girls had no problem with being informed they could not travel in their current attire. The media firestorm
was caused by a passenger who overheard the agent informing the girls that their attire was inappropriate. The
ill-informed passenger was indignant about the perceived discrimination.

Flight crew are the law onboard an aircraft. Once advised that he was required to surrender his seat and deplane, the
passenger's refusal constituted interference with the flight crew performing their duties. That's against the law (CFR 14 121.580).
The police were called in to remove the passenger. (In the video it looks like an Air Marshall actually did the removing)
The passenger's refusal to comply and resistance resulted in his rough handling.

As a former contractor to United I can assure you that revenue passengers are their #1 priority. Accommodating non-revenue
passengers is prioritized in the order: (1) contractors, (2) United employees travelling for airline business, (3) United employees
and family members travelling on comp passes. The exception is when the travel of UAL personnel (or contractors) is absolutely
necessary to the operation of the airline, then they may be prioritized above revenue passengers.

In this case, I suspect the UAL personnel were either flight crew that had to get to Louisville to crew a flight departing from Louisville,
or they were mechanics/technicians who had to get there to repair an aircraft to keep it in revenue service.

True all around. Another instance of the media jumping on the news without the full story for clicks... It sucks for UAL though

AZuser 04-10-2017 02:33 PM

^^^ They just handled the whole situation badly. Had UAL offered a better incentive(s) for people to give up their seats, this wouldn't have happened. Last I read, they stopped at $800.

I don't remember the exact details, but a year or two ago, my friend was flying back from D.C. on American or Southwest. They were overbooked by like 10 seats or so. They had to incentivize passengers to catch a later flight at 11 PM that night (4 to 5 hours later). They started small at first and slowly improved the incentives. When they offered an upgraded seat to 1st class and a $700 ticket voucher for a future flight, my friend volunteered as did a few others. Eventually, enough people got off the plane with no incident.

Had UAL kept increasing the incentive, this could have been avoided. Better to take a small one time expense hit than to deal with a messy PR nightmare like this.

Just look at what Delta did this weekend....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe...-this-weekend/

Why Delta Air Lines Paid Me $11,000 Not To Fly To Florida This Weekend

April 9, 2017

Over the past week, Delta Air Lines has encountered epic travel delays after unprecedented storms forced the cancellation of thousands of flights.

I travel a lot for my career, and when I’m headed somewhere, I want to get there. As a travel editor, I’ve run stories about people who make a profession out of getting bumped by the airlines. And yet, I’ve always quietly scoffed at travelers who would give up a seat on a flight in exchange for a voucher. Not my thing.

This weekend, my family and I profited from Delta's travel woes — big time. We made $11k. Here's how we did it and why I'm not such a snob about getting bumped any more.

On Friday morning, I was flying from New York City to Florida with my husband and daughter. The bad weather had passed, so I thought we had escaped the wrath.

After hours of delays, Delta Airlines started offering money for volunteers to give up their tickets on our overbooked flight, which had 60 (sixty!) standby passengers hoping to get a seat. I didn’t flinch. My husband and daughter and I were headed to Fort Lauderdale to see our relatives, and — as far as I was concerned — nothing would hold us back.

When the compensation for volunteers got to $900 a ticket in gift cards (American Express, Target, Macy’s and so on), my husband convinced me to consider the offer. I thought it was too low to delay our vacation, but our plans were flexible, so I said I was open to the idea. My husband approached the gate agent and offered to give up our seats for $1,500 apiece. She countered: $1,350 each.

Other frustrated passengers were yelling at the staff and crying over vexed travel plans. Somehow, when an airline is offering you and your family $4,050, missing a flight doesn’t seem so bad. We could have also scored a free hotel room near the airport and complimentary dinner, but we live about 10 minutes from LaGuardia, so we volunteered to give up our seats and headed home with a big chunk of change and confirmed seats for a Saturday flight.

The staff handled the situation seamlessly and professionally. My husband and I kept saying to each other: “This was the best travel day ever!” Making more than $4,000 on Friday didn’t hurt, mind you.

When I went to check in online on Saturday and saw that the flight was delayed by more than an hour and that Delta was already asking for volunteers to give up their seats, I turned to my husband and said, “Cha-ching!”

Indeed, when we got to the airport, the airline started offering money to volunteers…$300…$600…$900…$1,000...$1,300. Bingo! We took the offer of $1,300 per person. The airline also threw in lunch ($15 each) and round-trip taxi fare (worth about $50). Do the math — that’s almost $4,000 for a family of three. The airline assured us that we would get confirmed seats on Sunday.

After our flight departed, we waited. And waited. And waited. But the airline was still struggling to figure out the rebooking and get us three confirmed seats the next day. We found out that standby passengers were being told that Delta flights to Florida were fully booked (in fact, overbooked) until Tuesday. We were drained, and suddenly our long-weekend trip was looking far less appealing.

So when we suggested to the gate agent that we might be open to volunteering our seats again by cancelling the trip altogether, the offer was met with smiles and another $1,000 per person in advance compensation. Delta sweetened the deal by refunding the cost of the three plane tickets. We accepted Delta's offer and went home, sad to miss our trip, but not so sad about the lucrative results.

Granted, it didn't work out for many other travelers. Over the course of two days, we heard horror stories about families with little kids sleeping at the airport and people missing weddings and funerals. No gift card will compensate for life interruptions like that. (And my own father is still stuck in Indianapolis as I write this.)

But we can't complain. Do the math — my family and I made about $11,000 from Delta this weekend. And it didn’t cost us anything besides our time (and a missed trip).

One gate agent confessed that there are people who take the art of bumping very seriously and make thousands upon thousands of dollars. And now, I understand it. I really do. I’m already starting to think about how I can get bumped off other flights. This could be a new career.

Mizouse 04-10-2017 02:44 PM

:ponder:

1killercls 04-10-2017 02:59 PM

Thanks Trump.

cM3go 04-10-2017 02:59 PM

Not to mention it wasn't United employees that forcefully removed and harmed the passenger. It was Aviation Police that harmed him. The passenger refused to comply with aviation officials which probably is the same as resisting an officer. I understand the passenger probably had to get home or to his practice but when do you refuse the authorities of aviation? That kind of shit gets kicked off the plane and potentially banned from flying. The officers could have handled it better, but the passenger could have complied and not made a mountain out of a mole hill. Inconvenience sucks, but he just got his ass beat for being stubborn.

That being said, I'm flying United next week, hope they don't try to kick me off. :what:

oo7spy 04-10-2017 03:34 PM

Fly business. :O

AZuser 04-10-2017 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by cM3go (Post 15995534)
That being said, I'm flying United next week, hope they don't try to kick me off. :what:

Just don't wear leggings and you should be fine.

Tonyware 04-10-2017 03:57 PM

What I read between the lines is a culture of childish contempt that has been brewing in that company. I hope that style of corporate culture hasn't infected critical areas, say maintenance, and that is handled by grown ups.

wackjum 04-10-2017 04:14 PM

Living in Houston, the hometown airline was Continental. I always thought Continental had excellent service and you could always get home because almost all flights get routed through the Houston hub.

And historically, I disliked United because they had terrible service the few times I took them.

Imagine the shock and disappointment when United announced they were buying Continental. :bawling:

oonowindoo 04-10-2017 05:38 PM

I have never defended an airline... to me they are all blood sucking leeches who charge more and provide less.

However, the Leggings incident, i fully agree with UA. If you are flying with UA's $$, then you better dress appropriately.

The dragging incident, i thought it was the airport police/security who dragged the man out.
While i do think UA could have done more to get some passengers to change their tickets voluntarily, but i also think $800 a person voucher is pretty generous already considering the price from ORD ->Kentucky.

I wish i was on that plane, i would gladly take $800 and a night hotel, :D

I have learned over the years that with ANY Domestics airlines, the experience is a hit or miss. They are not all bad but definitely not good. Last month i flew UA from SFO to TPE.... in a 30+ years old 747-400.... worst of all, there was no Personal TV.. :rofl: imagine the pain i had to go through for 14 hours. I hated UA so much at the moment.
On the way back from Narita to LAX, it was the UA 787... i thought the plane and experience was just as good as JAL i used previously. (minus the flight attendant part, there is no comparison)

thoiboi 04-10-2017 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by oo7spy (Post 15995575)
Fly private. :O

Fixed :tongue:

srika 04-10-2017 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by cM3go (Post 15995534)
Not to mention it wasn't United employees that forcefully removed and harmed the passenger. It was Aviation Police that harmed him. The passenger refused to comply with aviation officials which probably is the same as resisting an officer. I understand the passenger probably had to get home or to his practice but when do you refuse the authorities of aviation? That kind of shit gets kicked off the plane and potentially banned from flying. The officers could have handled it better, but the passenger could have complied and not made a mountain out of a mole hill. Inconvenience sucks, but he just got his ass beat for being stubborn.

:nod:

“The incident on United flight 3411 was not in accordance with our standard operating procedure and the actions of the aviation security officer are obviously not condoned by the Department,” a spokesperson said.
the officer(s) have been suspended.

​​​​​​​Sucks for United, this was not their fault.

Sarlacc 04-10-2017 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by srika (Post 15995677)
Sucks for United, this was not their fault.

It was all their faults. It was a mishandled pooch screw from the beginning.

Whiskers 04-10-2017 06:29 PM

I sometimes scream like the doctor did when the wifi doesn't work well.

gatrhumpy 04-10-2017 06:58 PM

Fuck United. Will never fly them.

Mizouse 04-10-2017 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers (Post 15995689)
I sometimes scream like the doctor did when the wifi doesn't work well.

thisaznboi88 04-10-2017 08:32 PM

god I am flying with a bunny. they might try to eat it. those salvages

is300eater 04-10-2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc (Post 15995678)
It was all their faults. It was a mishandled pooch screw from the beginning.

+1

I love how people are commenting in defense of UA :bored: Seriously, in ANY situation, if you're asked to move, leave, get out for something you've already paid for, because your spot will be going to an employee, I have no doubt most of you would go apeshit over it. I know I would. I hope this guy sues the fuck out of UA and O'Hara Airport PD

imj0257 04-10-2017 09:03 PM

Fuck United and fuck those officers. United fucked up; should have not overboarded. I hope that side sites the fuck out of them and wins.

And from what I've seen, 90% of the comments/critics are against United.

imj0257 04-10-2017 09:23 PM

edit: I hope that guy sues the fuck out of them and wins..

Dan 04-10-2017 10:08 PM

Is there a second video?

I saw nothing like this;
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...3cafd90fe9.jpg

Tonyware 04-10-2017 10:12 PM

Hope he goes out there and finds the most ruthless lawyer alive.

#1 STUNNA 04-10-2017 11:00 PM

:ibgloriaallred:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7b7367a600.png

Rapture 04-10-2017 11:32 PM

I remember a number of years ago some country band wrote a song and made a youtube video about United breaking their guitars and refusing to pay for it. Even gave him some condescending asswipe attitude about it, too. United got about 2 weeks of bad PR from the experience.

I'd say this will give them about 4 weeks and they'll go back to normal. Not that I'm rooting for UA, either. I can't stand them, myself.

underdog 04-10-2017 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by is300eater (Post 15995757)
+1

I love how people are commenting in defense of UA :bored: Seriously, in ANY situation, if you're asked to move, leave, get out for something you've already paid for, because your spot will be going to an employee, I have no doubt most of you would go apeshit over it. I know I would. I hope this guy sues the fuck out of UA and O'Hara Airport PD

I love how you're trying to make it sound like UAL was out to rob the guy. :pofl:
a) he was still going to get to his destination - on the next available flight
b) he was going to be compensated for the inconvenience (for a delay of >2 hours entitled to 400% of the fare to a max of $1350)

Every airline is required by law to post its Contract of Carriage - their (and your) obligations and rights when
you purchase a ticket with them. You should read it before you get all excited about what you're entitled to.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...age.aspx#sec25

Sure, getting bumped sucks. And sure, I would bitch and moan to the Customer Service Agent (you know, the people who
are actually empowered to DO something about it - not the cabin crew!) to try to get the best possible compensation I could
guilt them into. But "going apeshit", especially onboard an aircraft is not going to result in any kind of a happy outcome. Good
luck with that.

Dan 04-10-2017 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rapture (Post 15995838)
I remember a number of years ago some country band wrote a song and made a youtube video about United breaking their guitars and refusing to pay for it. Even gave him some condescending asswipe attitude about it, too. United got about 2 weeks of bad PR from the experience.

I'd say this will give them about 4 weeks and they'll go back to normal. Not that I'm rooting for UA, either. I can't stand them, myself.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...S2pohnoiltMkzg

oo7spy 04-10-2017 11:47 PM

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...53/279/e31.jpg

thoiboi 04-10-2017 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by underdog (Post 15995840)
I love how you're trying to make it sound like UAL was out to rob the guy. :pofl:
a) he was still going to get to his destination - on the next available flight
b) he was going to be compensated for the inconvenience (for a delay of >2 hours entitled to 400% of the fare to a max of $1350)

Every airline is required by law to post its Contract of Carriage - their (and your) obligations and rights when
you purchase a ticket with them. You should read it before you get all excited about what you're entitled to.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...age.aspx#sec25

Sure, getting bumped sucks. And sure, I would bitch and moan to the Customer Service Agent (you know, the people who
are actually empowered to DO something about it - not the cabin crew!) to try to get the best possible compensation I could
guilt them into. But "going apeshit", especially onboard an aircraft is not going to result in any kind of a happy outcome. Good
luck with that.

I appreciate your point of view. But you have to admit that they made some big mistakes as well. They should have upped the compensation for the VDB to begin with.. GA was being a cheap ass and didn't want to offer more than $800.. I"m sure if they upped it to $1500 or $2000, there was bound to be someone willing to get bumped..

Dan 04-10-2017 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 15995846)
I appreciate your point of view. But you have to admit that they made some big mistakes as well. They should have upped the compensation for the VDB to begin with.. GA was being a cheap ass and didn't want to offer more than $800.. I"m sure if they upped it to $1500 or $2000, there was bound to be someone willing to get bumped..

Fly from Miami to a destination in South America and watch people climb over each other to get to the desk and get the "bump fee".

oo7spy 04-10-2017 11:56 PM

Which reminds me. Brick, you killed a guy with a trident. You should probably find yourself a safe house or a relative close by. Lay low for a while.

underdog 04-11-2017 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 15995846)

For a 1.5 hour domestic flight? A full fare one-way ticket (according to Google) from Chicago to Louisville
is less that $150. 400% compensation is only $600 - UAL offered $800 ..seems very fair to me.

The CSR's have some latitude but to pony up $2000 for a $150 fare .. I don't imagine they would have
that kind of latitude. I'd love to be on the receiving end of that kind of generosity but it doesn't make
business sense. Of course hindsight is 20/20 - if they had known the passenger was going to flip out
and the cop was going to be ..er ..overly enthusiastic .. $2000 would have been a bargain