Notices

Uber

Old 03-07-2019, 07:06 AM
Stay Metal

Received 812 Likes on 636 Posts
All I hope is that we aren't gov forced into self driving cars while they're still in beta mode because that shit is going to kill me.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser View Post
Uber designed (chooses to use 1 lidar sensor, down from prior 7, because they felt they were unnecessary and 1 sensor made Volvo vehicle look more sleek, resulting in more blind spots) and programmed (autonomous software "was tuned in such a way that it “decided” it didn’t need to take evasive action" due to low threshold setting; and disabled emergency braking) the car, car kills someone, but Uber is not liable for anything?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1QM2O8
If someone is jaywalking in the dark, I’m not paying attention while driving, and they get hit by my Tundra, is Toyota liable?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
All I hope is that we aren't gov forced into self driving cars while they're still in beta mode because that shit is going to kill me.
I don’t see how it could be worse than human drivers in Austin. They already refuse to press their gas pedal because they would rather sit in their car and look at their phone instead of drive!

Old 03-07-2019, 08:45 AM
_

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy View Post
If someone is jaywalking in the dark, I’m not paying attention while driving, and they get hit by my Tundra, is Toyota liable?
Whoever's driving should be held liable.

In this instance, Uber's car was doing the driving since it was in self-driving autonomous mode when accident occurred. There was a backup driver too. Therefore, Uber and the backup driver should both share the blame.

Go back (in this thread) and read the findings. Here are a couple important ones:

Uber has discovered the reason why one of the test cars in its fledgling self-driving car fleet struck and killed a pedestrian earlier this year, according to The Information. While the company believes the car’s suite of sensors spotted 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg as she crossed the road in front of the modified Volvo XC90 on March 18th, two sources tell the publication that the software was tuned in such a way that it “decided” it didn’t need to take evasive action, and possibly flagged the detection as a “false positive.”
Federal investigators say the autonomous Uber SUV that struck and killed an Arizona pedestrian in March spotted the woman about six seconds before hitting her, but didn't stop because emergency braking was disabled.
One day, these cars will be operating without backup drivers. When an accident occurs then, who do we hold liable?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

All that matters is the law that is on the books now. The law currently requires people crossing the road to use a crosswalk. It also requires drivers to be completely in control of their car.

The car's software and hardware did not do something it wasn't supposed to (false flag creating unsafe condition). It didn't do what it could have done. There is a major difference.
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM
Stay Metal

Last driver I had with a 4.8. Didn't say a single word, didn't take my luggage, didn't know or ask to enter the lot of the business I was going to, but didn't drive bad. I'd rather not rate than give 4 stars. Do the drivers know if you don't rate or if so what you gave them? Certainly no tip.
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Received 736 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
Last driver I had with a 4.8. Didn't say a single word, didn't take my luggage, didn't know or ask to enter the lot of the business I was going to, but didn't drive bad. I'd rather not rate than give 4 stars. Do the drivers know if you don't rate or if so what you gave them? Certainly no tip.
Ok, long post but there's a lot to say here.

If you don't rate, it doesn't count for or against them. If you are going to give a 5, the driver wants you to rate since their rating is an average of the last 500 ratings. So if you're happy and give them a 5, it's really going to help them out. If they have any 1-4 star ratings, more 5's will eventually get those lower ones bumped off.

If you were going to give less than 5 stars, the driver would definitely prefer you not to rate at all. But it might be a good idea. While it may hurt the driver, you're helping future passengers. No one wants a rude/abusive/unsafe driver. So giving less than 5 stars is a good idea if you felt there was something was really wrong that other passengers wouldn't like. But I also think that less than 5 stars is only appropriate in certain situations.

Some people may not be very social, so downrating for not chatting isn't really fair to them. I'm a chatterbox so I don't have that problem but not everyone is that way. Some drivers are also germaphobes, have medical issues (back problems for example) or just don't feel comfortable handling other peoples luggage. So that's not really fair either. It would probably be prudent to ask where the best place for dropoff either but I don't feel that warrents a downgraded rating. Feel free to speak up if you ever have a request like that, want the air adjusted or want to take another route other than what the nav is telling the driver. I've gotten downgraded ratings for all those things but I really had no idea they were hot/cold, wanted to go a different route or had a certain place they wanted to be dropped off. Drivers can't read minds. I make a habit of asking about temperature, route or dropoff location now. My ratings crept up from about a 4.85 to a 4.97 over the last year using those tactics.

For fun, here's what I think 1-5 star ratings should be used for:

5 star with a tip - Driver is friendly, has a clean car, tries their best to accommodate you if you have a special request (quickly stop somewhere, provide gum or water if you ask, modify the drop-off location, etc.) and drives promptly to your location while also being safe. Driver wishes you a good day/night/flight, etc.

5 star - Got from point A to point B with no safety issues and nothing inappropriate from the driver. This is the service that Uber says theyre

4 star - Frustrating things like the driver refusing to go a route you request, refusing to make a quick stop if you ask (e.g. gas station to pick up some beer) or driving unsafe - but not to an extreme (10mph over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, etc.) or inflexible about dropoff location.

3 star - If you feel the driver is intentionally trying to rip you off by going a longer route than the nav says. Driver being rude or condescending. Driving moderately unsafe, texting or taking calls while driving, the driver insisting on a tip.

2 star - You feel the driver should be fired. Gross traffic violations such as excessive speeding, running stop signs, almost hitting pedestrians, etc. Pestering passengers to give personal information (again, guys badgering girls).

1 star - The driver should be fired and possibly criminally charged - The driver assaults you, does something to intentionally aggravate you, threatens to use a weapon on you or you see the presence of drugs or alcohol in the car.

And two rules - if you leave a less-than-4-star rating, leave a comment about what they did. Many drivers don't know what they're doing wrong until they're told. Also, don't downrate the passenger if you're not happy with your fare. The driver has no control over the fare. It's 100% determined by Uber and Lyft. The exception here is if you select "fare" as a reason for the low rating. If you indicate that you're unhappy with the fare or that there was a problem with the fare, the rating won't count against the driver. However, Uber or Lyft will still get that rating and know you were unhappy with the cost.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Wow, based on your star system above, I would rate anyone doing anything in your 4-1 star categories as 1 star and everything in your 5 star rating is a 5 star. There is no in between for me.. You text while driving and I am in the car and you get a 1 star. Period. The only exceptions would be if the driver made some excuses about not being able to change the AC, the trunk was messy and I needed to put in luggage, etc... That might be a 3 star.
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Received 736 Likes on 523 Posts
It's all subjective. I've gotten plenty of 1 stars at times when I felt the ride went perfectly. Driving was safe, I was nice, did everything possible. They were either complete dicks or gave me a 1 star for something like the outside of the car was dirty, the floormats were wet from the previous passenger or I talked too much / too little. Who knows.
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
Stay Metal

I guess I'm a bit jaded from my prior rides. I've had nothing but great service in my eyes so I'll stand by my not tipping/not rating actions. Mind you it was a 2 mile ride i/a/o $7 or $8. He missed out on a buck I def don't want to negatively affect their ratings though unless they're poor. My ride prior to the above was where the driver almost mixed the exit, slammed the breaks in the intersection, cut through the lines, got honked at, made a gesture (not a middle finger) at the driver, and then didn't apologize for the mixup at all to me. I was just like oh ok. I did not buy that ride though so I could not rate. Probably deserved a 3 as he did everything else right. That in my eyes was a 2 star deduction.