Uber - Page 6 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Uber

Old 03-07-2019, 07:06 AM
Stay Metal

All I hope is that we aren't gov forced into self driving cars while they're still in beta mode because that shit is going to kill me.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanked 4,318 Times in 3,106 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser View Post
Uber designed (chooses to use 1 lidar sensor, down from prior 7, because they felt they were unnecessary and 1 sensor made Volvo vehicle look more sleek, resulting in more blind spots) and programmed (autonomous software "was tuned in such a way that it “decided” it didn’t need to take evasive action" due to low threshold setting; and disabled emergency braking) the car, car kills someone, but Uber is not liable for anything?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1QM2O8
If someone is jaywalking in the dark, I’m not paying attention while driving, and they get hit by my Tundra, is Toyota liable?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
All I hope is that we aren't gov forced into self driving cars while they're still in beta mode because that shit is going to kill me.
I don’t see how it could be worse than human drivers in Austin. They already refuse to press their gas pedal because they would rather sit in their car and look at their phone instead of drive!

Old 03-07-2019, 08:45 AM
_

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,341 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy View Post
If someone is jaywalking in the dark, I’m not paying attention while driving, and they get hit by my Tundra, is Toyota liable?
Whoever's driving should be held liable.

In this instance, Uber's car was doing the driving since it was in self-driving autonomous mode when accident occurred. There was a backup driver too. Therefore, Uber and the backup driver should both share the blame.

Go back (in this thread) and read the findings. Here are a couple important ones:

Uber has discovered the reason why one of the test cars in its fledgling self-driving car fleet struck and killed a pedestrian earlier this year, according to The Information. While the company believes the car’s suite of sensors spotted 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg as she crossed the road in front of the modified Volvo XC90 on March 18th, two sources tell the publication that the software was tuned in such a way that it “decided” it didn’t need to take evasive action, and possibly flagged the detection as a “false positive.”
Federal investigators say the autonomous Uber SUV that struck and killed an Arizona pedestrian in March spotted the woman about six seconds before hitting her, but didn't stop because emergency braking was disabled.
One day, these cars will be operating without backup drivers. When an accident occurs then, who do we hold liable?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

All that matters is the law that is on the books now. The law currently requires people crossing the road to use a crosswalk. It also requires drivers to be completely in control of their car.

The car's software and hardware did not do something it wasn't supposed to (false flag creating unsafe condition). It didn't do what it could have done. There is a major difference.