Notices

Television: Gotham

Old 01-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Television: Gotham

Not much info on this yet.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/tca-...g-bruce-wayne/

In the original announcement, Fox‘s drama Gotham was described as the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains who made Gotham City famous. Fox chairman Kevin Reilly today announced that the series will include all of the classic Batman villains as well as heroes, including young Bruce Wayne. “The show will arc a young Bruce Wayne from a child (around 12) into the final episode of the series, when he will put on the cape,” he said. Also on tap are the Riddler, Catwoman, the Joker and the Penguin. “We will see how they get to become who they are as Gotham is teetering on the edge,” Reilly said. “It is an operatic soap that has a slightly larger-than-life quality.” Reilly also confirmed that Gotham, originally bought with a series commitment, has a greenlighted pilot (Danny Cannon is directing), and is setting up a writers room in mid-February with the full intention to go to series. The series hails from Warner Bros TV and The Mentalist creator Bruno Heller.

Anybody hear anything else about it?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,194 Posts
Fox? No thanks.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
they should have done this when smallville was still on so they could cross over
Old 01-14-2014, 12:58 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 233 Posts
Has potential. But won't this be too confusing with the new movies coming out?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Could it be any worse than Agents of SHIELD?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 650 Posts
Moog just spoke for me... which I find frightening.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Every now and then, a coherent thought enters into you mind.

It's good that you recognize it when it happens.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Stay Metal

Received 812 Likes on 636 Posts
I'm thinking different universe from Batman Begins. Would be cool if it tied with Affleck Batman. But Fox tends to rotate shows too fast. If this was CBS, I'd be all in since their ratings keep shows on.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Some new info on the show. Airing this fall

http://screenrant.com/gotham-tv-show-synopsis-logo/

It’s been one week since Gotham announced the casting of its young Bruce Wayne (and Selina Kyle) – leaving Bat-fans to speculate on how big a role the pre-Caped Crusader will play in FOX’s prequel storyline. The topic was a major point of contention on this week’s Screen Rant Underground podcast – where we debated whether or not young Master Wayne (played by David Mazouz) will eventually steal the series’ spotlight from main protagonist Detective James Gordon (Ben McKenzie).

Gotham has been pitched as an origin tale for the city’s iconic villains and do-good coppers – not a “Batman story.” As a result, certain fans expect Bruce Wayne’s involvement to be minor – while others believe that we’ll see a much more hands-on version of the teenage billionaire (especially as he gets older and stronger in future seasons). Of course, the show doesn’t premiere until fall 2014 – meaning potential viewers will have to wait awhile for answers. In the meantime, Fox has released a lengthy synopsis that provides a glimpse at what we can expect – as well as how the characters of Gordon and Wayne will be utilized.

The synopsis is lengthy, so we’ve pulled out key highlights for those that are still getting up to speed on Gotham news – as well as anyone who just doesn’t want to read the entire thing.

Gotham is an “origin story of the great DC Comics super villains and vigilantes” – and the plot synopsis confirms the show plans to cover the “circumstances” that create Catwoman, The Penguin, The Riddler, Two-Face and The Joker
Gordon’s father used to serve Gotham as District Attorney – and the rookie detective, who is engaged to Barbara Kean, “hopes to restore the city back to the pure version he remembers it was as a kid.“
Partnered with the “brash, but shrewd police legend” Harvey Bullock – Gordon is assigned to investigate the murders of Thomas and Martha Wayne. In the process, Gordon meets the sole survivor: Bruce Wayne.
Bruce Wayne is described as a hauntingly intense twelve-year-old son – toward whom Gordon feels an “inexplicable kinship.”
Following Gordon as he rises through the ranks at the GCPD, Gotham will also “focus on the unlikely friendship Gordon forms with the young heir to the Wayne fortune.” Additionally, the plot synopsis suggests the show will chronicle “the birth of one of the most popular super heroes of our time.“

While the Penguin and Catwoman have been cast already, it’s interesting to see the synopsis outright name drop Riddler, Joker and Two-Face as potential inclusions so early in the process. Obviously, Gotham is a prequel series, meaning that the show could incorporate both mainline Bat-baddies – by depicting the men they were before transforming into full-on super villains. Previously, we heard insider reports suggesting the Joker and the Riddler would be featured at some point in the show; yet, this is the first official news we’re hearing of Two-Face. Still, a storyline involving a youthful Harvey Dent who works with Gordon to lock-up criminals (prior to becoming one himself) is rife with potential.

Since the Joker was intentionally depicted as a force-of-nature (without a concrete origin) in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight - fans will likely enjoy an opportunity to explore an alternate take on the character’s backstory. Though, whoever is cast in the role will understandably have enormous shoes to fill. The Riddler would also be a perfect fit for a season-long arc – as Gordon and the GCPD race through a series of clues to prevent murders and similar devastation.

That said, fans will likely have to wait awhile before either of the future villains are featured as series regulars – since Oswald Cobblepot (Robin Lord Taylor) and gang boss Fish Mooney (Jada Pinkett Smith) are supposed to take center stage in season one.

As far as what to expect from young Bruce Wayne, the synopsis makes one thing very clear – the future Caped Crusader will be a major part of the show (as opposed to essential window dressing). Between asserting that Gordon “feels an inexplicable kinship” toward Bruce and the claim that Gotham “chronicles the birth of one of the most popular super heroes of our time,” it sounds as though there’s a good chance that the Wayne heir might eventually get his hands bloody – and won’t simply be sitting on the sideline for the entire series.

If Bruce is a major part of the series, the Gotham showrunners will need to be evolving his character along with Gordon. This isn’t to say that Mazouz will ever appear as “Batman” but it’s easy to imagine that after three or four seasons Bruce (along with his mischievous pal Selina Kyle) could take to the streets at night in naive attempts at fighting crime.

After all, Bruce doesn’t just become Batman overnight, his acceptance of the cape and cowl come after years of angry brooding, mistakes, and failed attempts at avenging the death of his parents.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 AM
nnInn

Received 1,068 Likes on 635 Posts
I can see people bitching that he never becomes Batman, during the show. Just like Clark Kent in Smallville. Though it's completely billed as before Batman.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:48 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Do people really care about Jim Gordon?

I think the draw here is Batman...always has been.

I dunno if people are gonna care enough about Jim Gordon to tune in for the long haul.
It' does not appear to be Batman-centric.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Stay Metal

I think they care more about Jim Gordon after this last trilogy and his storyline.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,232 Posts
I'm quite sure the only show on FOX right now worth watching is 'The Following'.

I'll pass on this.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 14,942 Likes on 9,258 Posts
Wow...I'm not so sure I want to see The Joker's "origins"...but, I'll give this show a couple of episodes to try.

Last edited by Yumcha; 03-12-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 03-18-2014, 03:48 AM
_

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL View Post
I'm quite sure the only show on FOX right now worth watching is 'The Following'.

I'll pass on this.
I still think Sleepy Hollow is good

I've only seen the 1st episode of The Following on Netflix and thought it was pretty good.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:10 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumcha View Post
Not sure I can accept a skinny Penguin.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 AM
nnInn

I'll pass on this.
Originally Posted by AZuser View Post
I still think Sleepy Hollow is good

I've only seen the 1st episode of The Following on Netflix and thought it was pretty good.
The Following is very good, Sleepy Hollow I enjoy as well!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/05/gotham-trailer/

2 minute trailer. Looking good
Old 05-05-2014, 10:53 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I don't know if I can accept a Gordon without a mustache.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 637 Likes on 276 Posts
So a crappy ripoff of Smallville?

Oh who am i kidding, I will still watch it.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:48 AM
Stay Metal

It certainly implies the same tone. Like Smallville, I kind of prefer this be on the CW though before investing time since Fox cancels everything quickly.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,166 Posts

I'll pass on this.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,194 Posts
Fox could be banned from my TV and I'd be happy.

Except on Sundays in the Fall.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:24 PM
_

I still don't know... but I'll give it a chance.

Let's see if Fox keeps it for more than 1 season.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Trailer does not make me feel any better about this series.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,166 Posts
Old 05-08-2014, 03:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Of all the people in charge of new series hitting this Fall, none are probably feeling more pressure than Bruno Heller.

The British-born producer and creator of HBO's "Rome" and CBS' "The Mentalist" is the man behind Fox's "Gotham," a series that delivers the first post-Chris Nolan live-action take on the Batman universe - one in which Bruce Wayne is a kid and likely won't become Batman until the final moments of of the final episode.

It's a daunting challenge. The last time an attempt was made to tackle Batman in live-action on television was The WB's fairly disastrous and short-lived "Birds of Prey" back in 2002. Speaking with EW, Heller has answered some burning questions from fans and clears up some facts.

Heller he doesn't think Batman in full force works well on TV because when the masks or costumes come out the characters essentially stop being human: "When thinking about how to enter the DC world for TV, certainly on network TV, to do shows about superheroes — about people who wear spandex costumes — that doesn't work very well. We want to see people's faces. TV is about emotion and character, not stunts and special effects. This is a way of entering that world in a fresh way."

On the flipside, he says "one of the great things about the Batman world is [the characters] have no super powers. Nobody flies or leaps over buildings. You start with psychology and that's where we build from."

The show is built on the premise of: "What if young James Gordon was the detective who investigated the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents? And once you make that connection, it opened up a whole world of storytelling that we realized hadn't really been looked at before, which is the world before Batman — the world of Gotham, young Bruce Wayne and young James Gordon and the origin stories of the villains."

That meant building the show around Gordon, whom Heller calls "the most human and real and normal person in the DC pantheon." He goes on to say: "What would the city of Gotham look like to a young rookie cop coming into this world? And that's where we calibrated. This is a world that's going to become that familiar world of Batman, but it's not there yet. It's an embryo. A lot of the work was reverse engineering the story to look at what these characters were like when younger."

On to the more practical questions, Heller says the entire first season is mapped out and the episodes are serialized: "There's a procedural framework for it, but the world of Gotham is too big and operatic and complex to do it any other way but serialized."

Did Fox push back on that? "No. Fox was very much on the same page. The stories have to be as large and compelling as the city it's set in. That's not to say that you couldn't do a straight-up police procedural. But, for instance, because we are following the villains as well as the police, you're already breaking out of that procedural mold."

Asked which other Batman characters will appear, he confirmed we'll get the Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, Alfred Pennyworth and Poison Ivy this season and "possibly Harvey Dent." There will be others as well but there are others he won't name just yet: "We're starting way before these villains even themselves knew they were villains. Some of them started out as good guys. So there will be a lot of that... I will say we're not going to skimp on giving people the characters they want and expect from Gotham. But when and how they're going to show up is half the fun."

What about The Joker? "He's the crown jewel of the Batman villains. He will be brought in with great care and a lot of thought."

Visually he says it will look quite different from the Nolan films: "The movies are a very rigorous, kind of Germanic take on that world. They're visually stunning, but not particularly visually pleasurable. I would say this is much more on the street level of Gotham. There's more people, it's a more colorful place, it's a more vivid place, it's more crowded. The inspiration for me and Danny was New York in the 1970s, because we both remember that as a seminal moment, coming to the city for the first time. This is very much that kind of Gotham — intensely visual and three-dimensional and layered and gritty and dirty and sexy and dangerous."

Asked about how dark it will be, he says: "Certainly that will be a discussion down the road, I'm sure. Tone is one of those things you try not to think about too much. It just comes out that way. For this world, the people and violence — if that's the right word for it — needs to be as tough as the city. It's a high stakes life-or-death place."

In terms of Bruce Wayne's involvement, Heller admits initially he was ambivalent about how much he would use Bruce in the series. When they cast David Mazouz in the role, he's now "hoping to use him as much as his mum will allow us to, and in the kind of stories you'd imagine. It's not going to be young Bruce Wayne going out and saving the day, because that's not what kids do. It's about the strange education of this young man. He has a good idea of where he's going early on. But it's about the growth of this young man."
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/320...-key-questions

oof!
Old 09-21-2014, 05:59 PM
_

Tomorrow night.....
Old 09-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I'll watch the opener to see what it's all about. But, basically a cop show.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 650 Posts
It doesnt show until tomorrow night?

Damn, I always watched it a few nights ago on Darewall but decided to watch Sons of Anarchy on Netflix instead.
Now I definitely need to watch it tonight and spoil it for everyone!

I watched a small preview clip that xbox live had available. Just watched Cobblepot rough up his first victim. I though it was pretty dope seeing Penguin all young and skinny being told what to do by Fish. Awesome. Ill definitely check it out!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I think there's a lot of potential there. The very cartoonish Batman movies of the 90's showed little snippets of the hows and whys some of the villains became what we know them as today, but were overall pretty poorly done. There was no real time for that character development. You could see the development of Batman, but not the villains he was up against. If done properly, it could be pretty good. Planning to watch at least the first few episodes.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

So, really, this show is "Penguin Begins".
Old 09-22-2014, 11:14 AM
nnInn

Great another thread for you to troll up....
Old 09-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jupitersolo View Post
Great another thread for you to troll up....
Me? If it sucks, maybe.

If not, no complaints here?
Old 09-22-2014, 11:39 AM
The Dumb One

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts
I'll save judgment for after its terrible per usual.

and as always, wait for the people who claim they wont even try watching it to give their review later tonight/tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:39 AM
nnInn

Old 09-22-2014, 11:43 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
I'll save judgment for after its terrible per usual.

and as always, wait for the people who claim they wont even try watching it to give their review later tonight/tomorrow.
I have limited myself out of the TV show and movie threads because most in here are complete assholes and think they know everything about how a show/movie should be, yet they can't wipe their own ass.

Present company excluded!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:18 PM
The Dumb One

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts
Everyone is entitled to love/hate whatever shows and movies they want.

However, 3/4 of the time people here have predetermined hatred towards movies especially, I end up enjoying them.

So again, I'll save judgement, it's just a tv show. If it's not groundbreaking, I can still go on about my business. TWD starts back up soon so I'm not hurting for anything award winning
Old 09-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jupitersolo View Post
I have limited myself out of the TV show and movie threads because most in here are complete assholes and think they know everything about how a show/movie should be, yet they can't wipe their own ass.

Present company excluded!
Well, to be honest, aside from my annoyances with LOST, I've generally been pretty easy-going with the shows on TV...I know there's a certain leeway you must give.

Along with The Flash, I'm hoping this show does become really good. If they do a Joker arc and peer into his background, I'd be curious how that goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Television: Gotham

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.