Notices

Television: Better Call Saul

Old 10-11-2018, 04:34 PM
Lucky Enzo!

Received 1,219 Likes on 854 Posts
This show is way too damn slow.

Breaking Bad spoiler
Spoiler
In breaking bad Gus Fring was blown up at the end of season 4. We are nowhere near that level of momentum in this show. It's boring as hell.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Stay Metal

Received 812 Likes on 636 Posts
I did read this season Vince Gilligan backed off from the writing this season. Peter Gould seems to have more of an influence where in BB he was coming up the ranks per his wiki.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Get off my lawn

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,397 Posts
Finally saw the last episode - was pretty disappointing IMO. The Werner chase and final scene with Mike was very good however. But nothing resembling a cliff hanger, and I really hope they don't do another season as slow as this one. This finale could have easily been the mid point of the season instead of spending huge chucks of time watching Jimmy bounce a ball. Here's hoping for a better next season.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,452 Posts
Just what the hell did Mike think Werner was going to do and why didn't he think that's what he would do?!
Old 10-13-2018, 04:26 PM
2006 RRP TL "The Comrade"

Received 562 Likes on 386 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan View Post
Just what the hell did Mike think Werner was going to do and why didn't he think that's what he would do?!
I mean honestly not sure if Mike could've done any more...they were in a damn secure location with 24/7 camera AND staff watching the cameras...he even let the crew out for a strip club night...

German dude was way too fucking stupid to do what he did. They must've known what kind of boss they were dealing with (riding hooded in a van for hours after flying into Denver, working in complete isolation digging an underground facility trying to keep everything as quiet as possible, and of course getting paid a shit ton for that work...wouldn't be surprised if the head german guy is going to get paid healthy 7 figures after all is said and done)
Old 10-13-2018, 05:46 PM
nnInn

Received 1,068 Likes on 635 Posts
I still don’t understand that storyline. Seems it just filler....,
Old 10-13-2018, 05:57 PM
I am #76,361,211,935

Received 207 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo View Post
I still don’t understand that storyline. Seems it just filler....,
You never wondered about the massive lab under the laundry facility in BB? Or about
Mike's background? How Mike was hinted at being a badass with a history, but no
details.. Or never wondered how Jimmy "became" Saul Goodman?

This was no cheap cliffhanger ending, this sets us up to see and understand Saul
Goodman in action, and to find out how the Mike/Fring/Goodman arcs intersect next
season.

Personally I really enjoyed a season of character development.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:54 PM
nnInn

Received 1,068 Likes on 635 Posts
Originally Posted by underdog View Post
You never wondered about the massive lab under the laundry facility in BB? Or about
Mike's background? How Mike was hinted at being a badass with a history, but no
details.. Or never wondered how Jimmy "became" Saul Goodman?

This was no cheap cliffhanger ending, this sets us up to see and understand Saul
Goodman in action, and to find out how the Mike/Fring/Goodman arcs intersect next
season.

Personally I really enjoyed a season of character development.
Still give me nothing to that storyline, Mike is a badass and will do what’s needed, that is prtty evident. Massive lab, yeah someone had to build it. But there was no crescendo, with that storyline, except, yes ready, but not Fring ready....Even Sauls storyline was weak, him and Kim, tight, then not tight, then real tight, then not. This weak a weak season. Best storyline was Saul hustling the phones.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:57 PM

Overall the entire show is kind of a "filler" so to speak...they got super successful with BB and was able to write enough material to do a prequel.

But I can see how it's kinda slow and not super exciting. But that story line I think is really important to the development of Mike...how conflicted he was...you know he's a good guy down in his heart but he knows what hes good at and now that hes' working for Gus its good money and I think Mike even likes that he gets respect and his opinion is valued (compared to other things where people under estimate him due to his looks/age). Had to off the german guy in the end there too.....
Old 10-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nist7 View Post
I mean honestly not sure if Mike could've done any more...they were in a damn secure location with 24/7 camera AND staff watching the cameras...he even let the crew out for a strip club night...

German dude was way too fucking stupid to do what he did. They must've known what kind of boss they were dealing with (riding hooded in a van for hours after flying into Denver, working in complete isolation digging an underground facility trying to keep everything as quiet as possible, and of course getting paid a shit ton for that work...wouldn't be surprised if the head german guy is going to get paid healthy 7 figures after all is said and done)

My comment was solely with reference to Werner's last scene, I saw that one coming a mile away after he hung up with his wife and started crying. And I do agree 100% with underdog , his comments are spot-on to me.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:02 AM
Stay Metal

Items pending:

- What happens to Kim
- What happens to Nacho (I'm thinking post BB)
- How does the lab get finished
- When does Jimmy get the newer car and wardrobe change
- Who is Jimmy running from
- What else happens post BB
Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 4,377 Likes on 3,106 Posts
I really liked the slow pacing of this series. To me, it plays into how it's basically real life boring characters. Just like 99% of the real world. Like, Breaking Bad started sort of believable, but then when to wonky comic book land at some point.

I mean, we all know where it's going, but it's about the secondary characters from another series and they were always (fairly) boring, so showing their boring back story is a perfect fit.

And I loved the last line of the finale, "It's all good, man."

Perfect!
Old 10-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Get off my lawn

I just got that.

Very clever!
Old 10-15-2018, 01:23 PM

My comment was solely with reference to Werner's last scene, I saw that one coming a mile away after he hung up with his wife and started crying. And I do agree 100% with underdog , his comments are spot-on to me.
What about that last scene? Not sure if I follow what your questioning mike about. I thought mike knew exactly what was gonna happen.

If he let Gus's goons come they would have immediately offed the guy. Mike allowed some mercy by letting him call his wife to save her as well and then let him see the starry night sky before getting shot. He knew by letting him call his wife that she may be saved

I think Mike knew exactly how it would end as soon as he found out he escaped the compound.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Get off my lawn

Originally Posted by nist7 View Post
What about that last scene? Not sure if I follow what your questioning mike about. I thought mike knew exactly what was gonna happen.

If he let Gus's goons come they would have immediately offed the guy. Mike allowed some mercy by letting him call his wife to save her as well and then let him see the starry night sky before getting shot. He knew by letting him call his wife that she may be saved

I think Mike knew exactly how it would end as soon as he found out he escaped the compound.
I think Mike knew the minute Werner asked to leave. I think he just underestimated his ability to escape undetected. But the whole scene made Mike's character even more interesting. He took on the burden of having to kill Werner himself in order to offer him that bit of mercy and save his wife. He could have just let the goons handle it all but he didn't.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Hence my confusion: I thought Werner offed himself
Old 10-15-2018, 04:52 PM

Ah yeah....definitely somewhat of a twist that probably lot of us underestimated the capabilities of the old german guy....dude had it set for life if he could just finish the job...but guess that much isolation can drive someone mad....
Old 10-16-2018, 07:12 AM
Stay Metal

Hence my confusion: I thought Werner offed himself
No you can see Mike pointing the gun at him and firing.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I re-watched and saw it. The first time I watched it I had it on my laptop while working on my desktop and was only half paying attention apparently.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:44 PM
_

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Going to be a looong wait

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/kill...-strategy.html

Apr. 5, 2019

. . . .

Vulture recently spent an hour talking with Barnett about Eve’s stunning rise and her plans to expand the show’s audience. She also discussed a slew of other topics related to her new gig, including what’s next for The Walking Dead franchise, the possibility of an Orphan Black spinoff, how she’s working to increase cultural diversity and representation across her four networks, and why fans of Better Call Saul will have to wait a little bit longer for season five.

. . . .

Do you have a status update on season five of Better Call Saul? When is it coming back?

We said on our most recent earnings call that the series would come back for season five next year.

Oh, I missed that. So Better Call Saul, not until 2020. That’s something else which has become increasingly common these days — big shows taking longer breaks between seasons. But if it’s what the creator needs and wants …

Yes. It’s driven by talent needs, which we would not override if it would result in a worse show.

Do you think that Better Call Saul, unlike Walking Dead, has a more limited shelf life? Are we getting close to the endgame for that series?

Well, we know clearly the end was already written before the beginning began. [Laughs.] The writers, they have a very particular, very clear sense of the arc of their show.

In terms of how much longer that has to play out, do you know?

We’re certainly getting closer to it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...r-says-1203797

'Better Call Saul' to End With Season 6, Star Says

April 22, 2019

One of the stars of Better Call Saul says the end of the AMC series is approaching.

Giancarlo Esposito said the Breaking Bad prequel, which is currently in production on its fifth season, will wrap up after a sixth. That would put it about the same length as its predecessor, which ran for 62 episodes over five seasons (with the fifth broken into two halves aired roughly a year apart).

"It's tricky with [co-creator Vince Gilligan]," the actor said in an interview with Collider. "If you look at the Breaking Bad model, he said five years, five seasons, but it was really five and six" with the split final season.

As for Better Call Saul, "There will be six seasons," Esposito said. "It seems like that's the way, the comfortable way, to end this show."

AMC declined comment. Sources told The Hollywood Reporter, however, that a plan for the show's endgame is by no means set in stone.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 PM
Get off my lawn

I think Saul will kill the Night King but will loose all his dragons in the final fight and go mad which will turn him into the real Saul. Oh wait, crap......Wrong amazing show taking too damn long.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:11 AM
Stay Metal

Thanks for the info. Even more reason to cut cable. This is one of the best cable shows IMO. Glad they're winding it down though.

Originally Posted by 1Louder View Post
I think Saul will kill the Night King but will loose all his dragons in the final fight and go mad which will turn him into the real Saul. Oh wait, crap......Wrong amazing show taking too damn long.
Is that before or after he uses the stones to go back in time and save his brother from Thanos?