She won the lottery at 17. Now she blames Euromillions for ‘ruining her life' - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

She won the lottery at 17. Now she blames Euromillions for ‘ruining her life'

Old 02-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
Alright, alright, alright

Thanked 1,204 Times in 783 Posts
She won the lottery at 17. Now she blames Euromillions for ‘ruining her life'

yes so many people wish they could have the lottery ruin their lives as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.51b5ff011a25

Quote:
The first thing Jane Park bought after winning 1 million British pounds in the EuroMillions lottery in 2013 was a Louis Vuitton handbag.

Then a chihuahua named “Princess.”

Then some shoes.

Then a purple Range Rover and a pair of breast implants.

And then 50 more designer handbags.

“I just went shopping all the time,” the Edinburgh native told the Channel Four Television Corporation.

Then something curious happened: Buying things for the sake of buying things got old. Instead of finding happiness via conspicuous consumption, Park uncovered an age-old maxim preached by holy men for thousands of years and ignored by enthusiastic lottery winners for almost as long: Money can't buy happiness, and large amounts of it have a way of, well, complicating things.

Park told the Daily Record that she blames the lotto bosses for “ruining her life.”

“I thought it would make it 10 times better but it’s made it 10 times worse,” Park told the Sunday People. “I wish I had no money most days. I say to myself, ‘My life would be so much easier if I hadn’t won.’”

“People look at me and think, ‘I wish I had her lifestyle, I wish I had her money,’ she added. “But they don’t realize the extent of my stress. I have material things, but apart from that my life is empty. What is my purpose in life?”

[He won millions in the lottery. Then, feds say, he invested it in meth.]

Before her lottery win, Park worked as an administrative temp for £8 an hour, according to the Independent. Now 21, she told the publication that her life as a rich person has been so fraught with drama that she thinks she should have been barred from becoming EuroMillions's youngest winner at 17.

One of her biggest challenges is finding a romantic partner who she doesn't suspect of being interested in her because of her wealth.

“It does get lonely,” she told the BBC Scotland. “There's times when you don't even have anyone to speak to you. There's no one there.”

Park said she thinks that 18 — not 16 — should be the minimum age for winning the lottery. The Daily Record reported that Park is debating whether to sue Camelot — the company that owns EuroMillions — for negligence and donate any potential winnings from that legal action to charity.

The paper didn't provide quotes from the lottery winner saying as much, but when asked about a possible lawsuit, a Camelot spokeswoman said that she was aware of Park's statements — but noted that the company has no control over the age requirements.

“Anyone over the age of 16 can play the National Lottery, and therefore win a prize,” the spokeswoman said. “Camelot doesn’t set the age limit to play — this was agreed at the launch of the National Lottery back in 1994, and so any questions about the legal age to play would be a matter for Parliament.”

[Before she hit the Powerball jackpot, unemployed mother of four was struggling]

“Our role is to offer tailored and specific advice and support to any winner, no matter their age,” the spokeswoman said.

The spokeswoman added that Park was offered “extensive support from Camelot” after her lottery win and pointed out that the company has been in touch with her “from time to time” to “offer ongoing support.”

“A dedicated winners’ adviser visited Jane at home to pay out her prize, arrange private banking and support her through the publicity when she chose to share news of her win,” the spokeswoman continued. “An independent financial and legal panel was set up shortly after her win, and we put Jane in touch with another winner who won at the same age, to share their experience and help Jane adjust to the win.”

Reached by email, a representative for Park did not immediately respond to questions about his client potentially filing a lawsuit, and said that because of Park's substantial time constraints, a chance to ask her questions was “pretty unlikely.”

Park told the Daily Record that she owns two properties and her family has helped her spend her money more wisely.

“I’ve read about other lottery winners who’ve just blown it all, and I can totally see how it can be done,” she said. “I was stuck in front of a financial adviser who was using words like “investment bonds.” I had no clue what they meant.”

“I was appointed a Camelot representative but I can’t even remember her name,” she added.
Legend2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #2

Thanked 4,354 Times in 3,460 Posts
Quote:
Instead of finding happiness via conspicuous consumption, Park uncovered an age-old maxim preached by holy men for thousands of years and ignored by enthusiastic lottery winners for almost as long: Money can't buy happiness, and large amounts of it have a way of, well, complicating things.
Fucking

holy fuck... Shit like this is why people think our generation is full of idiots
thoiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Thanked 2,355 Times in 1,678 Posts
Don't overspend, problem solved
97BlackAckCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL View Post
Don't overspend, problem solved

That sounds too logical..
Old 02-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

blame her, not her winnings
YeuEmMaiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #6
I love tacos

Thanked 3,037 Times in 2,285 Posts
rather than spending her winnings, she should of did something productive with them and invested them and made more money.

Not that more money would bring her happiness. But it would give her something to do with her life and establish a safe and comfortable retirement for herself one day, when she retired. It would help create and potentially achieve any goal she wanted. That brings happiness.

I can see spending getting boring. But making money? No one gets tired of that. That's why billionaires always want to be trillionaires. It's just the next level up and the next big goal to strive for. Billionaires know they can't spend all their wealth, but it's not even about that. It's about the challenge, the potential success and the subsequent satisfaction of reaching it.
TacoBello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
Registered Member

Maybe she should shut her fat face and look around at all the people that have to bust their ass to make a buck.
brian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
The Third Ball

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,521 Posts
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
Senior Moderator

Thanked 1,087 Times in 590 Posts
I will tell you, as a personal injury attorney in my past professional life, it took a lot of energy to persuade people I knew had zero financial sense to invest in annuities or some other vehicle to defer large amounts of cash from landing in their hands. I would get calls from a friend who's a longtime friend at the BMW store like this: "Hey Scott, _________ was just here and bought a 760Li cash." Now Mr. Blank was a guy who was in his late 30's, lived in his mother's cellar (literally) and didn't finish High School. Poof, $95K gone and so was all of his settlement by the next year. I feel no sympathy for OP's lottery winner because with a slight amount of discipline, she should've been set for life living within her means.
Chief F1 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #10
Registered Member

I have been asked many times throughout life (as most people are) what I would do if I won the lottery. My first and only answer is to immediately invest it. Would not even think about buying some sports car or other B.S. unless we're talking about a super large win, think 50-100million+. Then I would buy a new car (not super expensive) and invest the hell out of that money. When I see strong positive growth in my investments, that is when I buy my parents and family houses and cars and whatever else they wanted.

So many people buy houses and shit and end up eating shit and then 2-3 years later they are broker than they started. It never ceases to amaze me how people can literally blow millions in such a short time.
RDX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #11
Registered Member

She should demand a refund on those tits.
doopstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:24 AM   #12
Registered but harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai View Post
blame her, not her winnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
rather than spending her winnings, she should of did something productive with them and invested them and made more money.

The promising thing about this story is that she hasn't blown it all, and it sounds like she's getting some advice on how to keep a remaining amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
I have been asked many times throughout life (as most people are) what I would do if I won the lottery. My first and only answer is to immediately invest it. Would not even think about buying some sports car or other B.S. unless we're talking about a super large win, think 50-100million+.
You'd probably see an older Lamborghini parked behind a new S6, M5 or the like in my driveway within a month of me winning $10 million or more.

Then some goes to charity and the rest gets invested, as my wife deems fit...
Will Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:24 AM   #13
Go Giants

Whiskers thanks you for this post
Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:49 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopstr View Post
She should demand a refund on those tits.

Yes, doc, make them hang... yes, as low as possible.... as close to my BB as they can get.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 02-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2 View Post

Yes, doc, make them hang... yes, as low as possible.... as close to my BB as they can get.

She looks like a giant slut
Scottman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #17
Rooting for Acura

Thanked 1,219 Times in 591 Posts
Broke. Young. Immature. Suddenly rich. What did everyone think was going to happen? And where are the parents in all this. Probably right beside her blowing cash. The good thing is that it sounds like she's learned her lesson. An expensive lesson, but nevertheless learned. For her sake I hope she still has money left over after this revelation.
knight rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #18
Senior Moderator

isn't this common with a lot of lottery winners? they can't fathom the amount of money they have they just automatically go crazy... first step shouldn't have been to buy an LV bag... it should have been to hire a financial planner...

let me win the lottery...
KaMLuNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #19
Senior Moderator

Thanked 3,211 Times in 2,389 Posts
£1 Million isn't very much...
oo7spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #20
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg View Post
isn't this common with a lot of lottery winners? they can't fathom the amount of money they have they just automatically go crazy... first step shouldn't have been to buy an LV bag... it should have been to hire a financial planner...

Yep, same thing happens with NFL players who buy all their buddy's hummers
Old 02-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #21
Registered Member

Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
literally blow millions in such a short time.
+
Joneill44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #22
2006 RRP TL "The Comrade"

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight rider View Post
Broke. Young. Immature. Suddenly rich. What did everyone think was going to happen? And where are the parents in all this. Probably right beside her blowing cash. The good thing is that it sounds like she's learned her lesson. An expensive lesson, but nevertheless learned. For her sake I hope she still has money left over after this revelation.
Unfortunately it seems like she learned the wrong lesson. Blaming the lottery and money instead of looking in the mirror and improving herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg View Post

Yeah the huge red flag was the first buy being a LV bag.

My first lotto spending is tax lawyer and a flat fee-based fiduciary financial advisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL View Post
Yep, same thing happens with NFL players who buy all their buddy's hummers
Indeed. Coming from poor broke backgrounds and having a big family/friends circle.

I remember that ESPN 30 for 30 where they mentioned stories of new NFL players who didn't even know what a pay check was and how to deposit it into a bank.....
nist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #23
Registered Member

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottman111 View Post

She looks like a giant slut

Boner
Mr. Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #24
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

She should be blaming Stunna, he ruins lives for a living. Thanks Stunna!
Old 02-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #25
Senior Moderator

At least she lost some weight in the process, her before pictures are um... :barf:
cM3go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #26
Rooting for Acura

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7spy View Post
Are you trolling us? I'll bite. £1 Million is a lot of money. $1 Million is a lot of money. I suppose "a lot of money" needs to be qualified here. I qualify "a lot of money" as a life-changing amount of money. Of course this is relative to the person. For instance, my kid would not know what to properly do with $1000 without me or my wife's counsel. $1 Million would change my life. Even if I decided to continue working after paying off my mortgage it'd be life changing. "A lot of money" could qualify as enough money to be financially solvent. This is where you'd never have to work another day in your life because you needed the money. Could $1 Million do that for an average "earn and spend" middle / upper-middle class family? Probably not. If I still can fantasize about what I'd do with an amount of money I call it a lot. Not to say that I'd blow it. I wouldn't. But I don't fantasize about tens of thousands or even a $100K windfall. However, some people might because to them that is a lot of money. I had some other thoughts, but I'll leave it at that. I could babble on the topic of money forever... Thoughts?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #27
Registered Member

It's about $1.25 million... and I'd one up you by saying it's a lot of fuckin' money.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7spy View Post
while not exactly "fuck you" money, it certainty is enough for her not to work the rest of her life plus be very charitable if managed properly... but alas we know she wasn't that smart :o
YeuEmMaiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #29
Go Giants

You probably couldn't live the rest of your young life on it.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
In a double wide in Kentucky you could.

Otherwise you could take any job you like with benefits, and live stress free.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Especially as a dumb uninformed millennial you couldn't!
Old 02-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #32
Rooting for Acura

Non-millionaires are the only people that would say a million dollars is not a lot of money. Well, and Donald. To him it's a small loan.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #33
Go Giants

Im a millionaire and I'm still saying that.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #34
The Third Ball

Quote:
My wife is a millionaire and I'm still saying that.
fixed
Old 02-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #35
Go Giants

I get an allowance
Old 02-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #36
The Third Ball

Quote:
I get an allowance
share!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #37
Go Giants

no
Old 02-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #38
Rooting for Acura

Old 02-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #39
Senior Moderator

Thanked 3,211 Times in 2,389 Posts
Yeah, I'm a millennial, and that's not that much money. Not sure what the lottery taxes are in the UK, but let's just assume she walked with $1M. For my family, that would last less than 10 years if we did not change lifestyle AT ALL, but my wife and I quit our jobs. Actually less than that because I have baller insurance through my job and my daughter's medical bills would cost us much more.

To me, winning a lot of money in the lottery means I can upgrade my lifestyle a little and never have to work to earn money if I don't want to. A lot of fucking money means I can upgrade my lifestyle significantly and carry my parents and sister's family with me. If this was 1990, I would agree that's a lot of money, but that shit was 27 years ago.
oo7spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #40
Registered Member

Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,057 Posts
^ Agree. A cool million is only as much as the person whos receiving it. For myself its "a lot" as I dont really have any real world expenses. I'm 25, dont own a house, car is paid off, no kids, student loans are close to halfway done, no medical bills. That million could jump start the rest of my life if diversified correctly.

Now if you asked my parents, a million wouldnt be that much. Obviously helps but, they have med bills, a mortgage, college for my younger brothers, car payments, ect. So now they're down to a half in just 1 year. Knowing my parents that now $500k probably just goes towards their retirement plan. Nothing in their day to day lifestyle would really change, outside of a kitchen renovation
Joneill44 is offline   Reply With Quote