POLL So, about that job... - Page 4 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices
View Poll Results: What should Mystery Meat Do?
Check back with applied jobs
0%
Apply for more online
11.76%
Apply in-person
17.65%
Post employment Interest on FaceBook Market
0%
Start tent shopping
0%
Hang a noose (joking)
0%
Whiskers
70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

POLL So, about that job...

Old 11-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Thanked 9,749 Times in 7,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
Thanks, and I wouldn't, even if I worked there...
MM a real1
Old 11-02-2018, 05:03 PM
WTF?

My cars are "Dealer Only" primadonas!!!
Old 11-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanked 4,402 Times in 3,312 Posts
Ive known a few guys who relied on temp agencies when times were tough. They always got jobs super quick, but they would vary in quality. One thing for sure- these companies were trigger happy to let a temp worker go for even the smallest problem. No biggie. They’d have something lined up again in 48-72 hours.

Some found pretty solid jobs, too. Don’t get discouraged if you get a crappy job or get fired. You’ll be back up in no time. And hopefully one of these companies ends up giving you a permanent gig.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:12 PM
2006 RRP TL "The Comrade"

Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
Ive known a few guys who relied on temp agencies when times were tough. They always got jobs super quick, but they would vary in quality. One thing for sure- these companies were trigger happy to let a temp worker go for even the smallest problem. No biggie. They’d have something lined up again in 48-72 hours.

Some found pretty solid jobs, too. Don’t get discouraged if you get a crappy job or get fired. You’ll be back up in no time. And hopefully one of these companies ends up giving you a permanent gig.
yup, at this point finding A JOB is the most important...get those pay checks coming in and start saving to improve your living situation then work your way up from there
Old 11-02-2018, 05:33 PM
WTF?

Originally Posted by nist7 View Post
yup, at this point finding A JOB is the most important...get those pay checks coming in and start saving to improve your living situation then work your way up from there

That's the plan...
Old 11-02-2018, 05:37 PM
WTF?

Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post

I feel like I'm in really good hands... Just as long as I'm not sitting at a table, solving fractions and devision equations for 8 hrs a day... Let's just say, it's not pretty when wake up...
Old 11-02-2018, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

I feel like I'm in really good hands... Just as long as I'm not sitting at a table, solving fractions and devision equations for 8 hrs a day... Let's just say, it's not pretty when wake up...
The good news is I do not believe there is a job anywhere in the U.S. where someone would sit at a desk and do math all day long. :tongue;
Old 11-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Thanked 4,123 Times in 2,952 Posts
You do math all day??? Holy shit my dream job...said no one ever. Euhhhh, i'm pretty sure i'd rather stay in school for ever than "do math for a living" HAHAHA What does that even mean?

Math, haha you probably don't even know how to solve a simple function
Old 11-02-2018, 07:25 PM
WTF?

Originally Posted by cu2wagon View Post
You do math all day??? Holy shit my dream job...said no one ever. Euhhhh, i'm pretty sure i'd rather stay in school for ever than "do math for a living" HAHAHA What does that even mean?

No way, no math, no, no, no.......

It'll put me to sleep, it's scientifically proven!!!
Old 11-02-2018, 07:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,923 Posts
Originally Posted by cu2wagon View Post

Today, in a low(er) skill environment, it means sitting in front of a computer doing Excel Spreadsheets all day. These jobs exist.

The high(er) skill alternative is rocket scientist.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bearcat94 View Post

Yeah was gonna say physicists and astronomers are math-ing all day long at their job....or maybe certain types of engineering also
Old 11-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Yeah was gonna say physicists and astronomers are math-ing all day long at their job....or maybe certain types of engineering also
I'm an engineer, I've never done math (or maths as the English would say) all day long. That said, I do leverage lots and lots of computer time to do maths for me; errr, at least I used to.

These days I'm kind of splitting the difference between the extremes in that I am now working in Artificial Intelligence, so far at least, I haven't written even a single math equation since I started this new gig, and that was over a year ago.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:42 PM
WTF?

Originally Posted by Bearcat94 View Post
Today, in a low(er) skill environment, it means sitting in front of a computer doing Excel Spreadsheets all day. These jobs exist.

If it's just data entry, no problem... Like doing wheel/tire calculators or something...
Old 11-02-2018, 08:49 PM
WTF?

Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
I'm an engineer, I've never done math (or maths as the English would say) all day long. That said, I do leverage lots and lots of computer time to do maths for me; errr, at least I used to.

These days I'm kind of splitting the difference between the extremes in that I am now working in Artificial Intelligence, so far at least, I haven't written even a single math equation since I started this new gig, and that was over a year ago.

Well, sounds like you've made it, then!!!

That's cool!!!
Old 11-03-2018, 04:21 AM
Registered Member

Looooooool I seen you saying you wanted to post a pic and then this ad came up:

I deadass thought that was a pic of you for a second lmfao.

Ok so I'm 23, I have a bachelors degree in Science (Biology and Psychology) but I ultimately decided I did not want to go further into school and would instead work at a decent paying job and save up. Well I applied for 4 months and not a single bite except one that would require me to drive an hour and a half every day to and from work so I decided it wasn't worth it. I have since decided to go back to school and have been taking classes again and I'm thankful nobody hired me. My whole point being that life is a funny thing, it goes in all sorts of different directions and it doesn't matter where you are.

All that matters is you keep on moving. Keep on moving even if it's all up hill, I've spent more time in the hospital the last 5 years than anyone I know (various health issues) combined. But I kept on walking, I have had a few surgeries and I'm still continuing to move forward. Don't get too hard on yourself, hell apply at McDonalds if you need to, just as a stop gap, they are ALWAYS hiring and will hire anyone. Do anything, janitorial jobs, garbage man, anything. Just for now till you can get on your feet.

As for your appearance, I HIGHLY suggest cutting your hair and shaving. Why let something as silly as your hair prevent you from getting a job. You don't look bad, I'm not saying you're ugly. But physical appearance plays a significant role in the hiring process. I'd wager to say in most jobs it's as important as what you say.

I'm genuinely sorry about your situation, but I promise life always gets better. You might feel like you're in the darkest place but it will somehow work out. You've got good people skills and you like helping people, there are a TON of great hospitality careers as well. Keep your options open and I know you're joking about the noose thing but for real, don't ever ever consider anything like that. Just be patient and hold on and things will work out.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:55 AM
WTF?

Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
Looooooool I seen you saying you wanted to post a pic and then this ad came up:

I deadass thought that was a pic of you for a second lmfao.

Ok so I'm 23, I have a bachelors degree in Science (Biology and Psychology) but I ultimately decided I did not want to go further into school and would instead work at a decent paying job and save up. Well I applied for 4 months and not a single bite except one that would require me to drive an hour and a half every day to and from work so I decided it wasn't worth it. I have since decided to go back to school and have been taking classes again and I'm thankful nobody hired me. My whole point being that life is a funny thing, it goes in all sorts of different directions and it doesn't matter where you are.

All that matters is you keep on moving. Keep on moving even if it's all up hill, I've spent more time in the hospital the last 5 years than anyone I know (various health issues) combined. But I kept on walking, I have had a few surgeries and I'm still continuing to move forward. Don't get too hard on yourself, hell apply at McDonalds if you need to, just as a stop gap, they are ALWAYS hiring and will hire anyone. Do anything, janitorial jobs, garbage man, anything. Just for now till you can get on your feet.

As for your appearance, I HIGHLY suggest cutting your hair and shaving. Why let something as silly as your hair prevent you from getting a job. You don't look bad, I'm not saying you're ugly. But physical appearance plays a significant role in the hiring process. I'd wager to say in most jobs it's as important as what you say.

I'm genuinely sorry about your situation, but I promise life always gets better. You might feel like you're in the darkest place but it will somehow work out. You've got good people skills and you like helping people, there are a TON of great hospitality careers as well. Keep your options open and I know you're joking about the noose thing but for real, don't ever ever consider anything like that. Just be patient and hold on and things will work out.

Thanks!!!

That part about the picture was funny...

Wow, I didn't know you had a degree in Biology/Psycology... That's a great achievement!!!

I did actually send an online application to McDonalds as a closing cashier...

I got an offer to do something with concrete... I think it would be loading/lifting it in some form in a warehouse... But, I couldn't get to my sponser's office before they closed because she called me too late...

What I'm going to do is keep looking... Go to that Firestone interview on Thursday... Then in a couple of weeks when my room runs out, move everything down there and start applying to places in-person... I can fund it a little longer...

Ok, elephant in the room, I don't care if my hair is crazy long, just so it's not Army short, I'm fine...

WARNING

Only go down, only if you want to go deep, really deep!

Spoiler

I've had long hair my whole life, and I don't want too much attention from people if I cut it... Well, I have no family to see me so I guess I wouldn't have to hear it anyway...

I seriously thought I'd be an ELA teacher or something, a few years ago...

I see all of the expenses people have with student loans and all and I didn't want to be that guy... I had an IEP when I was in school and still struggled...

Certain things I can do, but the education system went down to hell from when I got in back in 2002, and had a nasty break-up in 2014... I blame common core, Cali-mindset (no offense to Cali natives/residents), and snobbish HS teachers...

My point is, I'm so different...

I was raised by parents brought up in the 60's/70's so work ethic always prevailed over apperance and education...

I think like this, if I sound smart, then they'll know it!!!

My 2002-early 2013 crew were incredible, but those last 16 months were darker and hotter than hell... And I haven't been the same since...

When I first joined AZ, I was isolated in an environment with someone I didn't get along with, and all I had to focus on was AZ, y'all were literally the only influence or outside contact I really had...

6 months later, I changed that...

In doing so, I learned that I will never be able to live with anyone... I learned that for my sanity, I need to live alone... No roomates...

Here's why....

I have OCD, and I get really pissed when someone does something assonine such as sitting with feet on furnature, licking fingers and not washing hands before touching stuff, handling raw meat and not washing sufficiently after, things like that...

I'll tell them how I feel at first, but if they don't make adjustments in the behavior that offends me, I let them do as they please, and I'll stop sitting on the couch, and use a tissue on the doorknobs like Howard Hughes...

Told y'all I was autistic!!!

Now that I'm alone, I'm free from the chains that held me bound... I invite no visitors into my residence... I just can't be too careful...

I don't ever want to go through this again... Moving is too hard...

Thanks, I told ya'll the Mystery!!!

Old 11-03-2018, 08:32 AM
WTF?

Hmmm.... Looked at Hot Shot Roadie services website... It basicslly seems like an Uber for packages....

My neighbors used to do this back in the 90,s and early 2000's...

I might research this more...

My favorite thing to do on Earth is drive around... (But, not in a damn truck) I can easilly put 25K miles on anually, driving for stress theropy!!!

This may not be a reliable scource of income, but it's on the table, nonetheless...
Old 11-03-2018, 11:02 AM

Dude.. you need to clean that shit up.
How do you have OCD but walk around with that mess?

Keep the hair, but comb it and tie it or turn it into a man bun.
Shave that sphincter hair off your face
You look like a dude who rapes chickens

In regards to work
I think delivery would be perfect
Lots of delivery companies you can work for today
But you need to live in a support city

It's dead there, not saying you won't find work
but if you lived in a hub city or near one, you could easily get a job
Uber and rideshare were already mentioned

But there's also food delivery like favor
Or package delivery like Amazon flex
and these jobs pay ~20/hr

Unemployment is 3%
You essentially have to be an ex-felon with no job skills
no degree and no desire to work to be unemployed
Old 11-03-2018, 03:35 PM

Looking at your other post, you got a nice Kia sedan. Sign up for uber/lyft. Start making money right away doing what you like...driving/cars. Set your own hours...if you are night owl can make more driving on nights and especially weekends. But yeah you gotta get groomed better.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo View Post

In regards to work

Unemployment is 3%
Listen to this man...
Old 11-03-2018, 06:48 PM
WTF?

Looking at your other post, you got a nice Kia sedan. Sign up for uber/lyft. Start making money right away doing what you like...driving/cars. Set your own hours...if you are night owl can make more driving on nights and especially weekends. But yeah you gotta get groomed better.

I have to wait a 13 months still, bc I didn't "officially" have a DL until last month...
Old 11-03-2018, 06:52 PM
WTF?

In regards to work

Unemployment is 3%

Nearest big city is New Orleans, about an hour west of where I'll be... I need to be in MS to get established, then the other places becone available to me... Reason is, MS is the cheapest state in the US, and NO is third most expensive city behind NYC and San Francisco...

Old 11-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Nearest big city is New Orleans, about an hour west of where I'll be... I need to be in MS to get established, then the other places becone available to me... Reason is, MS is the cheapest state in the US, and NO is third most expensive city behind NYC and San Francisco...
Hmmm, not sure where you got that stat, but I've checked a few "top-ten" lists, and New Orleans isn't on any of them; the one list I did find New Orleans on shows it as #39.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:44 PM
WTF?

Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
Hmmm, not sure where you got that stat, but I've checked a few "top-ten" lists, and New Orleans isn't on any of them; the one list I did find New Orleans on shows it as #39.

#39, wow!!! Though we were still at 46... I've been told by family that there has been lots of improvents lately, sadly, I have to stay away from there...

Umm, I thought you said Hub City, not top 10, then it would be Houston, I guess...

If I go too big, my wages won't supplement living expenses... I'd need to be in a higher position at work, meaning I'd need to have advanced in the company, or in my career first, or atleast just have some formal expirience...

I think I can get a job without having to go to Houston... I think I may like Houston, but it floods too easily... In Metairie, LA, we do flood, but it takes A LOT of rain, and even if it does, it goes down right away because of advanced pumps that collect drainage from streets, where it then flows into a canal, then into Lake Ponchatrain, and recently, the Mississippi River...

If I say Houston again, Justn will be in here...

Why am I explaining all of this...
Old 11-03-2018, 09:02 PM

Get established before you can move???

Start here: https://waitrapp.com/careers/jobs/de...er/d3cc009b743

Old 11-03-2018, 09:05 PM

Deliver for Amazon:

Up to $25/hr

Mobile, AL

Check their other locations:
https://flex.amazon.com/about
Old 11-03-2018, 09:09 PM
WTF?

Deliver for Amazon:

Up to $25/hr

Mobile, AL

Check their other locations:
https://flex.amazon.com/about

Well dang, thanks for the link...

I could live in Gautier or Pascagoula, and drive 30-4p mins. to Mobile...

I saw BTR in that list too...
Old 11-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Excels at nothing

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,349 Posts
A hub city isn’t necessarily an expensive one. Look for a city with a busy seaport/riverport and/or air freight international airport, and a heavy rail presence. Lots of them that aren’t particularly expensive garden spots.

Mobile
Houma
Huntsville
possibly Gulfport

all come to my mind. Cities like KC and Indy are hubs.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:20 PM
WTF?

Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
A hub city isn’t necessarily an expensive one. Look for a city with a busy seaport/riverport and/or air freight international airport, and a heavy rail presence. Lots of them that aren’t particularly expensive garden spots.

Mobile
Houma
Huntsville
possibly Gulfport

all come to my mind. Cities like KC and Indy are hubs.

I know you did seroius research to come up with Houma, Boudreaux!!!

I've currently landed in Hattiesburg, MS, and firgured out that jobs are hard to find because the thriving population of college students... Over 15,000 in a town of 50,000, in a metro of 150k+

Gulfport is an hour south going like 75mph on 49, not too bad, but once in the metro, the other sude of town is close to an hour away, not just 15 minutes...
To me, this is a good thing!!!

I think G'port is my best option because Louisiana has the highest car insurance in the U.S...

I know nothing about Alabama polices/laws...

It's not dead-set that I'm going to be a pagage logistics tech...

I have jobs to interview with, hear from, ect...
Old 11-04-2018, 08:36 AM
Excels at nothing

I know you did seroius research to come up with Houma, Boudreaux!!!

I've currently landed in Hattiesburg, MS, and firgured out that jobs are hard to find because the thriving population of college students... Over 15,000 in a town of 50,000, in a metro of 150k+

Gulfport is an hour south going like 75mph on 49, not too bad, but once in the metro, the other sude of town is close to an hour away, not just 15 minutes...
To me, this is a good thing!!!

I think G'port is my best option because Louisiana has the highest car insurance in the U.S...

I know nothing about Alabama polices/laws...

It's not dead-set that I'm going to be a pagage logistics tech...

I have jobs to interview with, hear from, ect...
No serious research. I am in the biz.

You are getting solid real world advice from solid real world successful people in this thread, all for free.

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:17 PM

No serious research. I am in the biz.

You are getting solid real world advice from solid real world successful people in this thread, all for free.

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.
heh, agreed. Though to be fair, MM did say he is on the spectrum...so i could understand/forgive some lack of his social skills.....
Old 11-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Excels at nothing

heh, agreed. Though to be fair, MM did say he is on the spectrum...so i could understand/forgive some lack of his social skills.....
Understood. That's why I'm not giving him any trouble about how or what he writes.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:11 PM

Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,235 Posts
I just have to say that this is a really refreshing thread.

The light hearted ribbing, great advice without unnecessary judgment from replies.

The brutal honesty, willingness to listen and learn, and being a good sport from the OP.

Thread resonates me because after learning more about the typical habits and behaviors I wonder if I fall on the spectrum myself. For serious. I am getting evaluated when my benefits kick in. I have had a rough go with living with others and relationships as you have too, MM.

It isn't something that should hold you back as long as you embrace your strengths and work with your shortcomings.

A coworker of mine's husband has Asperger's. It sounds difficult to be him and to be married to him at times. Still, they are happily married to each other and the husband is aiming to be retired by 40.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:33 PM
WTF?

Cool story!!! And thanks for the non-judgement...

I was originally thought to have ADD, then, my new Dr. thought I had Asperger's... They tried all kinds of meds, but TBH, all they did was give me crazy side-effects, and take away my ability to filter things before I said them, along with little meomry of the two years I was on them...

It made me into an attention whore mystery...

I'd say things like "I married my dog", I made a test for my 3rd grade teacher to administer, which she did, about 3 weeks later, and didn't grade them, which I understood, but didn't like... It also made me listen to the other kids, and like Beyonce, Fergie, JT's SexyBack, yeah, it was 2006... Among other things, I didn't fully return to my prior self for a couple of years...

In the past few years, I've noticed I lose concentration easily... I'll start talking about something, then, mid-way through, after explaing a small detail, I'll have no idea what I was talking about originally...

I tell people that if I think of something, don't take offense if I have to quicky interrupt... Just have to speak before I forget...

And I'll start randomly saying words I'm hearing, or just said, then just repeat them as sounds, then realize what I'm saying after...

It's all quite funny...

Now, this is when I talk about how I feel about something, or sonething with a lot of details...

But generally, I don't do this around people in public, I can focus more...

I also have trouble watching for a light to turn green... That's because I'm looking at what's on side of me!!!

Old 11-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Excels at nothing

MM, have you seen a neurologist?
Old 11-04-2018, 11:15 PM
WTF?

MM, have you seen a neurologist?

No.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Costco View Post
I just have to say that this is a really refreshing thread.

The light hearted ribbing, great advice without unnecessary judgment from replies.

The brutal honesty, willingness to listen and learn, and being a good sport from the OP.

Thread resonates me because after learning more about the typical habits and behaviors I wonder if I fall on the spectrum myself. For serious. I am getting evaluated when my benefits kick in. I have had a rough go with living with others and relationships as you have too, MM.

It isn't something that should hold you back as long as you embrace your strengths and work with your shortcomings.

A coworker of mine's husband has Asperger's. It sounds difficult to be him and to be married to him at times. Still, they are happily married to each other and the husband is aiming to be retired by 40.
Retire by 40?! Dang, they must be doing well or just living real simple.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:11 AM

Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,235 Posts
Retire by 40?! Dang, they must be doing well or just living real simple.
She is a software engineer, and they both drive new Teslas. He has a P100D Model X.

He has been working for Apple since before the iPhone came out, so yeah, he's probably doing well
Old 11-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,034 Posts
I was going to suggest learning to weld, but if you have serious attention issues, maybe that's not a good path... No need to get hurt at work.

Shipping/receiving, dock work, loading/unloading, security guard, construction... If you have no real ties to an area (kids, parents), move fast. In my experience the longer you are in one place, the harder it is to leave...
Old 11-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Thanked 2,906 Times in 2,064 Posts
If you really like driving I would definitely look into becoming an Amazon Prime delivery driver, get paid to drive around all day and leave packages at peoples' houses

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: POLL So, about that job...

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.