The Official Watch and Timepiece Discussion Thread - Page 4 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

The Official Watch and Timepiece Discussion Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:22 AM   #121
mmmmmm....

If you guys don't mind share the price? I don't know anything about watch so it is really hard to tell which ones are expensive and what not..
S14 n Tsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 AM   #122
Registered Member

Im looking at getting an Accutron Style 26E02 from bulova....i dont know how to post pics but what do you guys think about it?
MikeCLS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #123
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance
you can buy it at the dealerships for like 20=50 dollars at the parts department. They also have polos, wallets, golf balls and tee, cali dusters, money clips, keychains and pens + more

No....

Its not one of those crappers they sell at the dealers.

They are made for Acura, for incentive programs for the salespeople themselves..

I know people..
TlsNavi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #124
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
If you guys don't mind share the price? I don't know anything about watch so it is really hard to tell which ones are expensive and what not..

which is exactly why I only spent ~100 on mine.
revitupwriteitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #125
Senior Moderator

Thanked 13,270 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:
Well, that's a really broad question, Kimchee...

You have watches that start out as cheap as $5 off the street as a knockoff and you have ones that go into 6-digits even.

But, for arguments sakes, we could go with some of the more "popular" brands amongst people who care about watches and who're willing to spend a bit on one (say, upwards of $1000 and no more than $5000). As an example, I got my James Bond Seamaster a few years back for $2K I believe. Breitlings can be anywhere from $2000 to $5000 (or more). Tag Heuers and Rados are also in that ballpark.

I'm not naming Rolexes, Harry Winstons or Cartiers mind you. So, those could be (and imaginably) to be even more. So, hope that answers your questions somewhat.

If you want something that's not bad-looking and yet you don't want to spend more than $1000, I would suggest a Seiko Kinetic (which was my first watch). Those look decent and are very durable. I'm sure there are other brands as well if someone wants to chime in.

And oh, I think Movados aren't that great. But, that's just my .
Yumcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:31 PM   #126
mmmmmm....

^^ thanks for your explanation. I know how expensive they can get but if price and name would definitely help me out in future when I think that I have enough to buy one of those fancy watch. My gf wears Seiko and I think they are decent looking but they should do look pricy though.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #127
I shoot people

Thanked 1,617 Times in 909 Posts
Quote:
^^ thanks for your explanation. I know how expensive they can get but if price and name would definitely help me out in future when I think that I have enough to buy one of those fancy watch. My gf wears Seiko and I think they are decent looking but they should do look pricy though.
there's almost always a way to get around paying retail... some places will put certain brands on sale... It helps if you know someone "in the business". The mark up on those things are like 100%. But some brands like Panerai's are hard to come by (less than retail) since the demand exceeds the production every year (thanks to all the celebs that wear them)
is300eater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #128
RIP Dime...

Stay away from Rolex watches as well in my opinion....to overpriced and popular and they use a lot of the same movements in their watches.
Ryee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #129
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryee
Stay away from Rolex watches as well in my opinion....to overpriced and popular and they use a lot of the same movements in their watches.

I like Rolex, but I think Breitling>Rolex!!
TlsNavi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #130
The Case Worker

Quote:
For starters, my Tag Heuer Link Automatic Tiger Woods Ltd. Ed. (in the first post of the thread) was $2,500 new. Tag Heuer's run between $975-4,500.
3.2CLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #131
RIP Dime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TlsNavi03
I agree. Nothing against Rolex, other than I think they're over played. Take a look at how many people have Submariners. There are a lot of other watches out there that turn heads, have better movements, and aren't played out.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #132
What Would Don Draper Do?

i got my tag on sale at duty free shop in hk for around $850 USD. it was a pretty good deal at the time.

and i'm not a big fan of movados either.
JediMindTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #133
I shoot people

Quote:
I agree. Nothing against Rolex, other than I think they're over played. Take a look at how many people have Submariners. There are a lot of other watches out there that turn heads, have better movements, and aren't played out.

sometimes when I see people wearing Rolex'es... it just screams
"LOOK AT MEEEE I'M WEARING A ROLEX!!!"

not to mention there soooooo many fakes out there... good ones I might add
Old 06-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #134
Money is funny.

only watch i have is a rolex and i never wear it for that reason. Everywhere I go ppl have the same god damned watch...it's a plain silver band watch with a black face and it says rolex...i kid you not I work with 2 guys who have the exact same watch and I see them in the KoP mall everywhere...i even bought it years ago for 750, and now you can find it for like, 300...
poohlikeshunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #135
on to the next one...

As far as Rolex watches are concerned, I by no means think it's the greatest watch out there, but my Submariner is more than sufficient for use as my "daily driver", for lack of a better term.

The Rolex is the only expensive watch I have at the moment, but I think it makes a great corner-stone for my future collection which will include watches I have no intention of wearing on a daily basis, like I do the SS sub.

If I was only going to have one watch the rest of my life, this probably wouldn't be it, but as far as an every-day watch is concerned, I think it's one of the best for versatility, reliability and durability and...in all honesty...just seems to have more of an "oh" factor with the general public than an Omega or IWC (which I was also interested in), which (call me a snob if you will) is important if I'm going to be spending $5,000 on a watch.

...although, it is worth mentioning that it wasn't my $$, it was a gift.
bgsm1th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #136
I shoot people

wow! NICE gift!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #137
on to the next one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by is300eater
wow! NICE gift!!!
Yes...yes it was...
Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #138
I shoot people

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsm1th
Yes...yes it was...
I know a guy that was IN a wedding... one of the groomsman (sp?), and it WAS a very expensive wedding... easily in the 6 figures... anyway, all the groomsman got an Omega for being in the wedding!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #139
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

I was THISCLOSE :pinchesfingers: to buying an Omega watch in Grand Cayman Island for about $1,400. My wife thought I was nuts.
gatrhumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #140
I shoot people

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I was THISCLOSE :pinchesfingers: to buying an Omega watch in Grand Cayman Island for about $1,400. My wife thought I was nuts.

yeah, what's the deal with buying watches in the Grand Cayman's? I hear a lot of people do that there... I'm sure it has something to do with (no) taxes or something... but is it really cheaper over there?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #141
John Starks - The Dunk

I personally have 2 rolex watches.....like previously mentioned they may or may not be the greatest watches in the word but they are damn good. Everyone will debate whether their favorite brand is the best or not, but for me the styling of my Datejust is perfect as an everyday watch.

I am a young engineer in my company so I can wear my DateJust without being looked at funny or questioned about how come I wear a $4k+ watch. The funny thing with Rolex's is that unless you know what makes it a Rolex you would think it is a watch you pick up at Macy's. If I wear my Breitling Hercules though, I get tons of questions like "Man that is a big watch, what kind is it?"
yuhoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #142
John Starks - The Dunk

Quote:
yeah, what's the deal with buying watches in the Grand Cayman's? I hear a lot of people do that there... I'm sure it has something to do with (no) taxes or something... but is it really cheaper over there?
Yes actually you can save between 10%-15% plus the watch is duty free.

I almost picked up Cartier Roadster the last time I was there, but decided against it because it was early on my cruise and it would have ruined the rest of the trip.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #143
on to the next one...

Quote:
I know a guy that was IN a wedding... one of the groomsman (sp?), and it WAS a very expensive wedding... easily in the 6 figures... anyway, all the groomsman got an Omega for being in the wedding!!!

No wedding gift for me, I just donated a kidney.

...but if I had the dough, I'd buy all my groomsmen nice watches, but all they are getting are cuff-links.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #144
Money is funny.

why would it have ruined the rest of your trip?
poohlikeshunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #145
Not Registered

When I meet a new client or customer for the first time I usually look at their watch first. I can't tell the brand of suit or shoes their wearing, but I can tell if they have a nice watch on, and most clients I doubt wear fakes. It seems in the business world a Rolex Submariner is the standard watch to have, but whatever watch someone's wearing it show me how they present themselves and what style they have. A digital Casio from Walmart will probably tell me the correct time for 20 years, while a Rolex can lose a second each day, but the guy with the Rolex wants everyone to know it cost more then most people make in a month or at least it makes him feel that way. It's not a deal breaker what watch they have, but I usually shows me what style and taste they have.

Last edited by Bdog; 06-12-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Bdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #146
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog
When I meet a new client or customer for the first time I usually look at their watch first. I can't tell the brand of suit or shoes their wearing, but I can tell if they have a nice watch on, and most clients I doubt wear fakes. It seems in the business world a Rolex Submariner is the standard watch to have, but whatever watch someone's wearing it show me how they present themselves and what style they have. A digital Casio from Walmart will probably tell me the correct time for 20 years, while a Rolex can lose a second each day, but the guy with the Rolex wants everyone to know it cost more then most people make in a month or at least it makes him feel that way. It's not a deal breaker what watch they have, but I usually shows me what style and taste they have.
Hey look! I have sooo much style that I spent 4 figures on something that doesn't even work right.

No offense, but it just doesn't make sense to me. If I had money to waste (8 figure net worth, IMO), I might buy one just to have one, but I probably wouldn't wear it. I also understand buying one if it is expected from your superiors, but there aren't too many of those kind of people around. Outside of that, if some guy wants to go spend his very last 2K on a watch, it's his money & he can do whatever he pleases with it.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #147
Senior Moderator

Thanked 13,270 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TlsNavi03
I'm with you there as well...but, it depends on the person. Some find Breitlings to be way too busy.

Cartier watches are also nice as are Harry Winstons. And oh, I wouldn't kick a Mont Blanc watch outta my wrist either.
Yumcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #148
Health's Angels

I was unpacking some old boxes and found this one:

Tissot Actualis Autolub, from around 1971 or so. It was one of the first to use plastic mechanics (hence the auto lube) and is generally regarded as the forerunner to the SWatch. Keeps decent time after all these years too.

GINge! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #149
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I bought my Oris in GC and saved 20% off retail + no sales tax. It was definitely a good deal.
NSXNEXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:13 AM   #150
Registered Member

My turn

Omega Seamaster 300m Chronograph Olympic Edition

I have own several G Shocks when I was in college... That is my first watch that I bought for myself as a b-day gift last year.
swong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #151
John Starks - The Dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
why would it have ruined the rest of your trip?
I would have probably started to be cheap with things because I bought a watch that cost that much and that was also unexpected
Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #152
RIP Dime...

Quote:
Often times it is. It has to do with the volume of people who pass through the islands at a given time. Because so many people go to the Caribbean Islands on a weekly basis either from cruises or other vacations, watch companies will sacrifice their margin for the increase in sales. The challenge just turns into making sure that you're purchasing the watch from a certified dealer.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #153
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLatimer
Just yesterday I noticed the 1/10sec feature on my Tag 2000 chronograph isnt working. dammit.dammit.dammit.

The watch is only 7-8yrs old.
Expensive watches = expensive repairs...

Just got a quote of $425 to overhaul the watch. Double dammit.dammit.dammit.
JLatimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #154
mmmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.2CLS
For starters, my Tag Heuer Link Automatic Tiger Woods Ltd. Ed. (in the first post of the thread) was $2,500 new. Tag Heuer's run between $975-4,500.
so pricy... I guess I'm not ready yet.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #155
Registered Member

Quote:
Often times it is. It has to do with the volume of people who pass through the islands at a given time. Because so many people go to the Caribbean Islands on a weekly basis either from cruises or other vacations, watch companies will sacrifice their margin for the increase in sales. The challenge just turns into making sure that you're purchasing the watch from a certified dealer.

This is true, my old boss would buy a rolex everytime he went to the bahamas because they are like 15% off retail and something about the Tax...so he would buy them at a discount everytime

ive gotta convice my GF we're taking our honeymoon there..lol... with my hidden agenda!

Grandparents bought me a Brooks Brothers watch, nice looking deal fro graduation and I have a Tourneau Safari Dual Time Zone on a stingray strap (wich i alternate off and on with a white baby croc strap as well....

Nice stuff everybody!!!
If I had 4 thumbs I'd give you all 4 thumbs up! lol

jlspeed29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #156
I shoot people

Quote:
so pricy... I guess I'm not ready yet.
$975 start is retail, you can find'em less... $600-ish but that's the "entry model"

never pay retail for Tags

Last edited by is300eater; 06-18-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #157
Go Giants

Bought a Movado yesterday....Price was right (my wife got a nice Longines).....

http://www.movado.com/Details.aspx?I...2600004&page=0
Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #158
Making it Happen

This is my watch..i love it..and the band is more of a chrome like a little more shiny then the pic
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #159
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29

so why does this watch have second markings but no second hand?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:16 PM   #160
What Would Don Draper Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
This is my watch..i love it..and the band is more of a chrome like a little more shiny then the pic
i know i've told you this before, but i really like your watch. i'm looking for the same one with a white face.
JediMindTricks is offline   Reply With Quote