The Official Bicycle News and Discussion Thread - Page 137 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Off Topic Discussion > Ramblings
Reload this Page >

The Official Bicycle News and Discussion Thread

Notices

The Official Bicycle News and Discussion Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 AM
The Third Ball

Thanked 3,708 Times in 1,971 Posts
Bike didn't fit in the highlander with all the other crap we had to bring SO I hadn't been able to ride for another extended period of time.

But I have a noon call time today on set...so I just got back from a quickie 17 mile ride. Felt great!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Senior Moderator

gonna be a fun ride home! both water bottles are frozen and they'll thaw on the way home...yummy.

92.0 F
Feels Like 97 F
Old 09-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Recruits for Satan

Had 2 commutes and 3 good weekend rides (including Memorial Day)
The weather was a little chilly yesterday morning, needed arm warmers and full finger gloves for the first hour. But after that it was perfect for riding.

Today got out with my friends and did a 86 mile single speed ride.
That is a long distance to go on 1 gear.

<iframe allowtransparency="true" src="http://app.strava.com/athletes/65255/latest-rides/a081b58c0ccb1d07b94d2b1dc1e76c2ececb70b2" frameborder="0" height="454" scrolling="no" width="300"></iframe>
Old 09-08-2013, 04:48 PM
The Third Ball

The guys that do single speeds blow my mind. I have a good friend who does a lot of endurance mountain bike events...he usually opts for his single speed...everyone thinks he is nuts, and he places really well, too.

Between work last week and getting sick I haven't been able to ride nearly as much as I wanted this week.

But I just picked up a bib on sale, been wanting to try one for a long time...I'm fine with the shorts...but I think I'll like the bib better.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Recruits for Satan

I love bibs.
Since one of my friends prompted me to try them. I haven't gone back except for very short rides.

They are much more comfortable. You don't get the elastic digging in around your waist.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
I love bibs.
Since one of my friends prompted me to try them. I haven't gone back except for very short rides.

They are much more comfortable. You don't get the elastic digging in around your waist.
Yeah..I dont get the elastic digging, but the the front gets annoying as it flips over and comes down as you lean forward. Drives me nuts.

Also got a wind jacket that transforms into a vest...clearance for 25 bucks. Last long ride I had it was an early overcast morning that was cold and had ocean mist. I want to get some knee warmers, too. I can't do physical activity in long pants, gets too hot. But my knees seize up and don't feel good when they get cold, like that morning.

For reference...here is a pic of my friend doing an enduro race today...he is the only one there doing it on a fat bike...and SS at that...like I said, he's nuts.

Last edited by Sarlacc; 09-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:26 PM
The Third Ball

Did my usual 28 miles this morning...cold for the first half, wished I had gotten my riding jacket...still hasnt shipped.

My feet were just bugging the fuck out of my in my shoes today...they've been still bugging me. So, I saw that specialized made insoles, picked up a pair of those. While I was at the shop, I saw they had take off handlebars...decided to pick up a 44cm Specialized drop bar for 20 bucks to see if they helps with my shoulders...they measured me there (cynergy cycles) and said I should be riding with a 44 anyway.

I'll be going from carbon bars to alloy...but I think at my level of riding, its not something I'll notice too much...My fear is compliance, not weight, but the carbon stem should still help.

For 20 bucks and the costs of some wraps...its worth seeing if thats the reason my shoulders start to bug me.

Other than that...I want to go farther! My bike path ends, which is why I hit 28 miles all the time...but I think I can take a small off shoot near the end and go even deeper in to Palos Verdes...I want to explore that more.

Oh...and indeed I did love wearing the bib WAY more than just shorts. Just a more comfortable ride...and the chamois in the bib is way nicer.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:17 AM
The Third Ball

Spent this evening swapping over to the new handlebars...and I was mistaken...the stock ones are alloy, so I shouldn't notice any difference in compliance which is awesome.

Wasn't too bad getting the components swapped over...got the grip tape on...hope to be able to ride tomorrow and give them a test. I rode around the garage a few laps and the difference is noticeable and more comfortable...I just hope my shoulders notice a difference, too.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Recruits for Satan

Rode into the office this morning.
going to be one hot commute home.

92 degrees and 90% humidity.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:07 PM
The Third Ball

Felt like I was getting sick again...but wanted to try the new stuff.

New milestones...32 miles with some really fricking steep climbs, for me, at the end at about 1000'....Beelz....no fucking clue how you do it....I want to flop on the side of the rode....but there was NO bike path where all the climbing was...going up and down those hills with traffic at those speeds was a little nerve wracking but I did it!

Feet....still get discomfort but it wasnt as bad...I think Im putting my weight down on the outside edge of my foot...when I try and keep it even, it feels better...but its not natural so its difficult to maintain.

Shoulders....feel great!

The wider bars make for a slightly longer reach...that'll take a little getting used to, but I was fine with it. Left hand still gets numb easily...but thats minor.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:02 PM
One on the right for me

^ - Awesome.

I really like getting up from the beach and going into PV (or rather, up to PV)
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Recruits for Satan

Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
Felt like I was getting sick again...but wanted to try the new stuff.

New milestones...32 miles with some really fricking steep climbs, for me, at the end at about 1000'....Beelz....no fucking clue how you do it....I want to flop on the side of the rode....but there was NO bike path where all the climbing was...going up and down those hills with traffic at those speeds was a little nerve wracking but I did it!

Feet....still get discomfort but it wasnt as bad...I think Im putting my weight down on the outside edge of my foot...when I try and keep it even, it feels better...but its not natural so its difficult to maintain.

Shoulders....feel great!

The wider bars make for a slightly longer reach...that'll take a little getting used to, but I was fine with it. Left hand still gets numb easily...but thats minor.
Way to go.
And as for the climbing. I only weigh 135lbs. So my power to weight is relatively high.

And as for riding in really hot weather. I just keep drinking.
on the hour and a half ride home. I drank almost 2 bottles of water and a 20oz coke.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:00 PM
The Third Ball

Way to go.
And as for the climbing. I only weigh 135lbs. So my power to weight is relatively high.

And as for riding in really hot weather. I just keep drinking.
on the hour and a half ride home. I drank almost 2 bottles of water and a 20oz coke.
The heat I get, no biggie. I drank two bottles of water on this ride and ate one gel. Didn't eat a lot before the ride, just a small leftover piece of chicken tenderloin to get something in my stomach...very counterintuitive to how your are supposed to fuel for a ride I know...but I just can't eat a lot in the mornings, especially before a workout.

You win on power to weight ...193lbs on a 20+lb bike....fuck it was hard...but I never stopped til I reached the pinnacle of the hill I decided would be my ending point...but I probably slow as hell...actually had to use my small gear....and on the ride down actually used the big gear.

Just nerve wracking doing the climb/descent on a busy-ish street with no bike lane...there was a big shoulder going up....none coming down.

Since I'm still sick...I just want to pass out right now and sleep. Was really sleepy running errands. And my hip flexxors are already sore/exhausted...wonder how my legs will feel tomorrow.

Best part...was at the top of the hill overlooking the ocean...getting ready to turn around to come down the hill...at a place with sweeping curves on coth sides of traffic...I was waiting for an opening...and lost my balance getting stuck in my pedal...down I went right in front of this older couple...cut up my knee and hurt my pride...all in good fun though, was bound to happen sooner or later!

Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,022 Posts
Wow, nice ride and nice view!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

Thanked 3,284 Times in 2,012 Posts
Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Excels at nothing

Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,280 Posts
Good job Dave. I'm about your weight and I suck at climbing too.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

Thanked 3,284 Times in 2,012 Posts
Been riding more lately. Using my bike as much as possible when running errands around town. Also going on Sunday early morning group rides, usually only 21 miles but lately we've been pushing it pretty hard (for me at least), a few times we'll get up to 25-27mph on flat roads, the drafting really helps there. I think my avg speed for last Sunday was about 17.5mph though I'll try to keep up as long as I can but usually I fade out before a couple of the other riders.

Not sure if that's lack of sleep, calories or stamina but I'll be keeping up for a mile or two at that fast pace and then wear out pretty quickly.

I finally got a couple of those breathable cycling shirts and those made a difference. Before I was wearing just a tshirt and it seems I was always at risk of overheating while everyone else in their fancy shirts were fine. I haven't felt like I'm on the verge of heat exhaustion with the new shirt. I think the shirt is also allowing me to go those faster speeds because I'd pass out real quick at those speeds with just a tshirt on.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 09-11-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
Good job Dave. I'm about your weight and I suck at climbing too.
You're also taller I believe.

I was all gung ho thinking I wasn't going to use the granny gear...pssssshhhhh....lowest gear possible...my shit was still on fire!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 PM
One on the right for me

Those bike share bikes are damn heavy. Impressive.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Recruits for Satan

Got a new toy for my bike

a good light for commuting.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:33 PM
The Third Ball

Having only topped out at 32 miles...would I be silly for even contemplating registering for this for the 50 miles ride?

http://www.granfondogiroditalia.com/...rse-overviews/

Would have to check with my pocket book manager (wife) to see if its even doable right now. And I'd do the cheapest one if so.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM
One on the right for me

^ - Not at all. Usually those are pretty well supported and there are riders of all ages/abilities, etc.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:28 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

I started riding again (I know late in the season) and ended up riding from Cliffside park on 9W all the way to Sparkill NY. It was my first time accomplishing such a task.. However, I noticed a lot of police officers out today and thinking to myself "They're out catching speeders".. indeed they were. See, I was passed by a few other riders while on 9W heading towards Alpine. I started on a decline picking up speed all a while keeping an eye on my speedometer. I was about 30 MPH (Posted Speed limit was 35 or 40) when all of a sudden up in the distance is a LEO with his gun pointed at the riders who had previously passed me. With that he turns on the lights, gets out and points for them to stop. I suddenly hit the brakes and coast to 10 mph.. I slowly passed them as I heard the officer say "Let me see some ID"..

So question to other fellow riders;

NJ state law states a bicycle has the same rights as a motor vehicle, however I didn't see anywhere posted that it's also required to carry ID.

I've google searched riders coming off the GWB heading to 9W and being summon a ticket for either riding against traffic, failure to observe traffic signal and speeding. Anyone else encounter this? I can understand in case of an accident it's best to have ID, but in the case of being stopped would it help not having one? Though, I guess they can just verify your ID based on name and address if you provide it..
Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Recruits for Satan

You are supposed to obey all the traffic laws and they can give you tickets for that. More likely they ran the light that is right there.

I do the ride from LI City up to the Runsible Spoon in Nyack a few times a year and have seen the police pull cyclists over on 9W for running the light in Palisades for the exit/entrance to Plaisades PKWY just after you go under it.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by subinf View Post
^ - Not at all. Usually those are pretty well supported and there are riders of all ages/abilities, etc.
Thanks...and I think I can do 50...I just usually run out of bike path on my rides.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
Having only topped out at 32 miles...would I be silly for even contemplating registering for this for the 50 miles ride?

http://www.granfondogiroditalia.com/...rse-overviews/

Would have to check with my pocket book manager (wife) to see if its even doable right now. And I'd do the cheapest one if so.
I had never done more than 40 miles in a single ride and did a 111-mile charity ride a little more than a month ago. Totally doable. You should definitely go for it.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN View Post
I started riding again (I know late in the season) and ended up riding from Cliffside park on 9W all the way to Sparkill NY. It was my first time accomplishing such a task.. However, I noticed a lot of police officers out today and thinking to myself "They're out catching speeders".. indeed they were. See, I was passed by a few other riders while on 9W heading towards Alpine. I started on a decline picking up speed all a while keeping an eye on my speedometer. I was about 30 MPH (Posted Speed limit was 35 or 40) when all of a sudden up in the distance is a LEO with his gun pointed at the riders who had previously passed me. With that he turns on the lights, gets out and points for them to stop. I suddenly hit the brakes and coast to 10 mph.. I slowly passed them as I heard the officer say "Let me see some ID"..

So question to other fellow riders;

NJ state law states a bicycle has the same rights as a motor vehicle, however I didn't see anywhere posted that it's also required to carry ID.

I've google searched riders coming off the GWB heading to 9W and being summon a ticket for either riding against traffic, failure to observe traffic signal and speeding. Anyone else encounter this? I can understand in case of an accident it's best to have ID, but in the case of being stopped would it help not having one? Though, I guess they can just verify your ID based on name and address if you provide it..
I was stopped, along with my wife and daughter for running a stop sign. The cop wanted to see ID, and for some reason I actually had mine, but only me. He informed us that it's the same penalty as a car ($120 at the time) and would put points on your license. We got off with a warning.
Our local bike shop owner told me this cop stopped about 50 other riders that day. It was a pre-ride for course workers for an event the following Saturday. I wish more states would adopt the laws that let bikes proceed carefully through stop signs and maybe even red lights. I can't remember, but I think only a few states do it.
Now on the other hand, if I'm ever stopped for speeding on my bike (don't laugh, it could happen) I'd insist on being ticketed and reported to our local newspaper's police blotter.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,022 Posts
Maybe I am naive, but I see NO reason to run a red light or stop sign on a bike.

If you want the same rights as a car on the road, you follow the same rules.

I am not saying one should unclip, dismount and check the tire pressure at every stop sign or red light, but a complete stop is simple and painless.

I, for one, don't want to give motorist a SINGLE reason to think poorly of cyclist.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:57 PM
The Third Ball

Hadn't been able to ride in the last 8 days because of being sick and work.

So I forced myself to go this morning ...still sick. cough/congested.

Glad I went but hell my ass hated me for the first 6 miles...and my quads/hips hated me for the last 4. I was SUPER happy to have gotten my jacket in the mail...I stayed warm and comfy even when it got up to 68 on the way home. I didnt even have to take off the sleeves. I would have been miserable and cold without it.

18 miles...just to the MB pier and back. Feeling good.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Excels at nothing

Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,280 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020 View Post
Maybe I am naive, but I see NO reason to run a red light or stop sign on a bike.
I will run a stop sign when the only threat to my well-being is approaching from the rear.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

I agree with not wanting to give motorists more reason to hate us, that's part of the reason I'd like to see more of the bicycle specific stop sign/light laws. I also differentiate between blowing through a stop, and slowing down to 3 or 4 miles per hour and carefully proceeding through.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:55 PM
One on the right for me

Depends on the location of the stop sign to determine whether a full stop is warranted or if I can roll through.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Recruits for Satan

Originally Posted by subinf View Post
Depends on the location of the stop sign to determine whether a full stop is warranted or if I can roll through.

I will always slow down and then if there are no cars then I keep going otherwise I stop and track stand.

On other notes I passed 8K miles for the year today.

<table class="dense striped"><tbody><tr><th>Year-to-Date</th> <th class="viewing">
</th> </tr> <tr> <td>Distance</td> <td class="viewing">8,017.4mi</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Time</td> <td class="viewing">456<abbr class="unit" title="hours">hr</abbr> 13<abbr class="unit" title="minutes">m</abbr></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Elev Gain</td> <td class="viewing">410,879ft</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Rides</td> <td class="viewing">147</td></tr></tbody></table>
Old 09-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

In this particular instance, location had a lot to do with it. This is a fairly long residential street with no cross streets, only streets that tee into it. There are 2 stop signs that were put up as "traffic calming measures" on the 2 streets that tie into it. Thirty some years ago, when we lived on that street with 2 young kids, my wife asked the police chief if something like speed bumps or a stop sign could be put up to slow traffic a bit. She was told that you can't just go around throwing up stop signs wherever you want. The day we got stopped she blew through it, I'm pretty sure just on principle. I actually slowed down, looked left, saw the cop, woulda stopped, but I figured why bother as my wife and daughter had already gone through. I'm not blaming the cop for stopping us, but he was an arrogant dick about the whole thing. We do a lot of riding on paved 2 lane roads out in farm country with very little traffic. We always slow down for stops, look carefully, use hand signals even with no one around, and try actively to not be the bikers that piss off motorists.
Congrats on the 8k beelzy, you're amazing. I'm envious.

Last edited by TLer trash; 09-19-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TLer trash View Post
... if I'm ever stopped for speeding on my bike (don't laugh, it could happen) I'd insist on being ticketed and reported to our local newspaper's police blotter.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Recruits for Satan

Originally Posted by TLer trash View Post
if I'm ever stopped for speeding on my bike (don't laugh, it could happen) I'd insist on being ticketed and reported to our local newspaper's police blotter.
I wasn't stopped, but I had a cop aim a radar gun at me coming down a hill and wag his finger at me as I passed. I was about 10mph over the speed limit. I was doing 45 in a 35.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:43 AM
One on the right for me

I will always slow down and then if there are no cars then I keep going otherwise I stop and track stand.

On other notes I passed 8K miles for the year today.

<table class="dense striped"><tbody><tr><th>Year-to-Date</th> <th class="viewing">
</th> </tr> <tr> <td>Distance</td> <td class="viewing">8,017.4mi</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Time</td> <td class="viewing">456<abbr class="unit" title="hours">hr</abbr> 13<abbr class="unit" title="minutes">m</abbr></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Elev Gain</td> <td class="viewing">410,879ft</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Rides</td> <td class="viewing">147</td></tr></tbody></table>
I'm just approaching 2k. I need to pick it up this last quarter.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

left my cycling computer plugged into my work computer so today's ride was done using perceived exertion only. interesting ride w/o the comp. i think i like it. anyone else ride w/o a comp on a regular basis?
Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Mike View Post
left my cycling computer plugged into my work computer so today's ride was done using perceived exertion only. interesting ride w/o the comp. i think i like it. anyone else ride w/o a comp on a regular basis?
I leave my iPhone in my jersey pocket so in always guessing and perceiving. Trying know by feel.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

it was strange not knowing my power numbers, hr or speed instantaneously. good point tho...i did have my have strava running on my phone so at least i can track the ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official Bicycle News and Discussion Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.