The Official Bicycle News and Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

The Official Bicycle News and Discussion Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #361
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanked 1,571 Times in 943 Posts
:congrats:
stogie1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #362
Emerging Vendor

Dayum how do you ride with glasses like that!?!?!?
"From show to go, street to track, apex to exit, and to work and back...Heeltoe's in your corner!" - Marcus
MrHeeltoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #363
I fixed the glitch

Congrats! Makes me wanna get into MTB.

I'm a roadie.
Carlito Benito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #364
chips and smokes, lets go

Nice job Robb. Congrats to you and your team.

Man, the rain has not given us any breaks this summer. Surprise, surprise, rain in the forecast for this weekend's Provincials...
herbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #365
Senior Moderator

good stuff rob

What Giro helmet is that?
West6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #366
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Benito View Post

I'm a roadie.
Do you have two bikes or is that a friend's? Nice bike also. I am thinking about a Scott for my next road bike. I am ready to upgrade from the entry level i initially bought. Thinking of purchasing next spring. Right now the Specialized Tarmac Comp or Expert is tops on my list based on specs. Still need to test ride some bikes.
'06 Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #367
I fixed the glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by '06 Arctic View Post
Do you have two bikes or is that a friend's? Nice bike also. I am thinking about a Scott for my next road bike. I am ready to upgrade from the entry level i initially bought. Thinking of purchasing next spring. Right now the Specialized Tarmac Comp or Expert is tops on my list based on specs. Still need to test ride some bikes.
The Specialized are nice bikes but a CR1 Scott will be cheaper than a Specialized Tarmac when similarly equipped. I find the Scott very comfortable. The Specialized did not fit me all that well and I found the handling a bit twitchy. But, to each their own. Ride what you like and don't let anyone steer you otherwise.

I have 2 bikes. A Trek 1500 and a Scott CR1 Pro. The third bike is the bike I learned how to bike on. An old Peugeot steelie. I restored/modernized it for my father. It's obviously too big for me.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #368
Recruits for Satan

Congrats Robb.

I did over 400 miles last week on my vacation. and nothing flat.
Beelzebub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #369
Community Architect
robb m.

Quote:
Great job Astro Were you able to ride most of the trails or did you have to hike a bike a lot due to the mud?
I only had to walk one section on my lap, mainly because there was traffic in front of me walking. It was pretty slick though. My morning lap time was 8mins faster after no sleep than my 1st lap was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe View Post
Dayum how do you ride with glasses like that!?!?!?
The mud wasn't so bad on the glasses, it was more that they fogged up everytime I got onto some singletrack. I had a heck of a time seeing anything. My front tire kept throwing mud right into my eyeballs too,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Benito View Post

I'm a roadie.
I'm a roadie too, but I like to mix it up sometimes and can hold my own in the trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalist View Post
Nice job Robb. Congrats to you and your team.

Man, the rain has not given us any breaks this summer. Surprise, surprise, rain in the forecast for this weekend's Provincials...
Looks like the forecast has changed, and Kelso should be dry! I will be there, not sure if I'll race, but def coming to spectate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West6MT View Post
good stuff rob

What Giro helmet is that?
It's a Giro Atmos from ~3yrs ago.
astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #370
Senior Moderator

congrats on the awesome win, Robb!
mattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #371
I fixed the glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
I'm a roadie too, but I like to mix it up sometimes and can hold my own in the trees
Well it certainly looks like you mixed it up pretty well! Congrats again!

Is anyone riding in the Hotter N' Hell Hundred this weekend?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #372
Senior Moderator

Quote:

It's a Giro Atmos from ~3yrs ago.
Ah cool. I might replace my now potentially compromised Athlon with an Atmos. Still figuring out what to get.
West6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #373

Quote:
Looks like the forecast has changed, and Kelso should be dry! I will be there, not sure if I'll race, but def coming to spectate.
I'll believe it when I see it. For a good spectator spot, I would recommend the long downhill right before we go back up the ski hill for the second time. There is a steep/fast descent with a large tree right in the middle. There will be carnage. I'm heading up again tomorrow to try and get everything dialed.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #374

Thanked 1,626 Times in 949 Posts
So today I went over the handlebars for the first time on my fixed gear. Talk about fun. We were passing by a park in the bike lane and I was admiring the scenery... I turned forward again and suddenly my friend was almost stopped perpendicular to the street, close to the curb and only 5 feet away from me. Needless to say, my bike stopped on a dime but I kept going.

Got a big ol bump on my forehead and scraped chunks of skin off mu knuckles. Wrist is in a brace. Oh and its pretty funny watching someone's out-of-true wheel wobble side to side.

Quote:
The mud wasn't so bad on the glasses, it was more that they fogged up everytime I got onto some singletrack. I had a heck of a time seeing anything. My front tire kept throwing mud right into my eyeballs too,
Time to invest in a set of these:

Costco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #375

^Hope you were wearing a lid.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #376
Excels at nothing

Thanked 1,406 Times in 757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco View Post
Time to invest in a set of these:

:shakehead

They'd just clog up with mud.
svtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #377
Registered Member

Anyone run a FSA crankset on their bike(s)? I am looking into getting a compact crankset and don't want to spend to much b/c I plan on selling my this bike next spring and picking up a new roadie. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with them? I've read the reviews on roadbikereview and they are pretty mixed and not that detailed. Specifically looking at the SLK Carbon i can get it pretty cheap on E-bay.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #378
Excels at nothing

Quote:
Anyone run a FSA crankset on their bike(s)? I am looking into getting a compact crankset and don't want to spend to much b/c I plan on selling my this bike next spring and picking up a new roadie. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with them? I've read the reviews on roadbikereview and they are pretty mixed and not that detailed. Specifically looking at the SLK Carbon i can get it pretty cheap on E-bay.
I've got 'em on 2 bikes -- my Specialized TriCross (FSA Gossamer with 48/34 chainrings) and my KHS Flite 900 (FSA SLK with 50/34 chainrings). I'd heard all kinds of nightmare stories of the BB not going even 1500 miles before needing replacement. That hasn't been my experience at all.

The TriCross has 5k miles on it, and the KHS has about 1000 on it and no problems with either. I did feel a little lack of smoothness in the TriCross last year, but a quick pull of the crank and greasing of the spindle made it like butter again.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #379
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
I've got 'em on 2 bikes -- my Specialized TriCross (FSA Gossamer with 48/34 chainrings) and my KHS Flite 900 (FSA SLK with 50/34 chainrings). I'd heard all kinds of nightmare stories of the BB not going even 1500 miles before needing replacement. That hasn't been my experience at all.

The TriCross has 5k miles on it, and the KHS has about 1000 on it and no problems with either. I did feel a little lack of smoothness in the TriCross last year, but a quick pull of the crank and greasing of the spindle made it like butter again.
Thanks svt. After the century this weekend, I've found that at least for now I need some mechanical help with climbing until i can get my legs back into climbing shape. I'd also like to keep my cadence higher. And like you, I have read a random mess of shit about the FSA cranks besides their top of the line not being that great. Any special I need to check to make sure this will work on my bike besides the BB cups?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #380
Excels at nothing

Quote:
Thanks svt. After the century this weekend, I've found that at least for now I need some mechanical help with climbing until i can get my legs back into climbing shape. I'd also like to keep my cadence higher. And like you, I have read a random mess of shit about the FSA cranks besides their top of the line not being that great. Any special I need to check to make sure this will work on my bike besides the BB cups?
I don't think so -- I've got Shimano FD/RD/Cassettes on both and they shift fine. The BB cups are specific to the FSA cranks, so make sure that you have the compatible MegaExo BB and the threads match your frame, you should be good to go.

Only unexpected gotcha I can think of with FSA is the left crank retaining ring on my SLK uses a special tool to drive it (it's got six pins to drive it). That socket cost me $40, as opposed to the $3 that the little plastic driver for the latest Shimano left crank retaining rings cost. This really only matters if you do your own wrenching.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #381
seizure force field!

Does anyone have any information on Centurion Cycle Works?

It's a road bike, Omega is the model. From the information I gathered online and from my father... It's looks to be from the late-70's to early-80's, been in storage for the majority of it's life.

I went down to a local bike shop and bought new tubes and tires... also lubed everything up. Has some rust but rides like a champ, put over 20 miles on it over the weekend.

I'd like to know a little more about what I'm riding on, so if anyone knows something, throw it out there
v6cord2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #382
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6cord2k5 View Post
Does anyone have any information on Centurion Cycle Works?

It's a road bike, Omega is the model. From the information I gathered online and from my father... It's looks to be from the late-70's to early-80's, been in storage for the majority of it's life.

I went down to a local bike shop and bought new tubes and tires... also lubed everything up. Has some rust but rides like a champ, put over 20 miles on it over the weekend.

I'd like to know a little more about what I'm riding on, so if anyone knows something, throw it out there
http://sheldonbrown.com/centurion/index.html Found this on bikeforum.com Hope it is useful as i did not read it.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #383
Living the Dream

cmschmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #384
Living the Dream

A quick update:
I'm loving the bike so far. I found a really good Saturday morning group ride and may look into a Sunday morning ride. I need to ride it more during the week, even if it is only for 10-15 miles.
The only real issue I'm having is hotspots in my right foot. I've had the cleats moved all the way back and am still having some issues. Next I'll look into shims. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll look at new shoes
Old 09-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #385

What pedal/shoes are you using? I know some people get them if they use a mountain pedal/cleat on a road bike.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #386
Living the Dream

Shimano R-132 w/ Look Keo Sprints.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #387

Maybe try some different insoles/footbeds.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #388
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmschmie View Post
Shimano R-132 w/ Look Keo Sprints.
I have the Keo classics and am having the same problem although my pain is more on the outside of my foot. I think it is my pedal stroke mechanics more than the shoe or cleat though as on the century I rode with these pedals I had no pain or problems, but a 30 mile ride i did last week i had some serious pain.

You can also get insoles for your shoes to provide more cushion between the cleat and your foot as I know the insoles that I got in my shoes (Lake Cx330C) are pretty flimsy. Going to try to adjust my cleat first though as I only get the pain on my right foot. Think I need to move the cleat out on the sole of my foot more.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #389
Excels at nothing

I get pain on the outside of my feet when using road shoes/cleats (Look style) -- I think they just don't have enough float for me. So, I run mountain pedals on all of my bikes. I have had some hotspotting this year on my feet, but I've also been working more on power this year than I have in the past. It might be my middle-aged feet telling me to just be happy spinning.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #390
seizure force field!

I'm looking at road bikes on craigslist... I wish I wasn't such a freaking newbie to this stuff I can't figure out what's a deal or not. FML
v6cord2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #391
Community Architect
robb m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
I get pain on the outside of my feet when using road shoes/cleats (Look style) -- I think they just don't have enough float for me. So, I run mountain pedals on all of my bikes. I have had some hotspotting this year on my feet, but I've also been working more on power this year than I have in the past. It might be my middle-aged feet telling me to just be happy spinning.
You can get the red Keo cleats that give you 15% of float. It's what I use, and can't really imagine having more would be better...
astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #392
Excels at nothing

Quote:
You can get the red Keo cleats that give you 15% of float. It's what I use, and can't really imagine having more would be better...
I'll have to give those a try.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #393
Recruits for Satan

I have been doing rides across the country this week.

We drove from NY to St. Louis to watch the opening stage of the Tour of Missouri. You have no appreciation on how fast they are acutally sprinting for the finish until you see it in person. I was about 100 feet from the finish.

Then we have since been driving for a few hours and then stopping for the day and doing a ride. Along the way stopping and eating some good food. Man vs. food stops.
Beelzebub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #394
Senior Moderator

agreed. we watched the last stage of the TOC and nibali and schleck flew by going for the win. floyd led the peloton out for the sprint finish and that was very cool...very fast
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #395

Great ride for Ryder.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #396
Emerging Vendor

THIS JUST IN!

Brawn GP FTW!

Now I just need some wheels and parts!

Anyone want a L 06 Epic Comp in Test Bike Green?
"From show to go, street to track, apex to exit, and to work and back...Heeltoe's in your corner!" - Marcus
Old 09-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #397
Senior Moderator

suite!
mattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #398

Damn. That looks hot! Let's hear the details of the build.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #399
Emerging Vendor

Heh, I have no idea man...going tp the shop tomorrow (if I get some time) to map it out. Luckily I got some friends at shimano, crank bros, local shops etc. Having a family member in the industry is pretty convenient. That frame is completely custom one off from the factory finish/decals.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #400

Cool. Keep us posted.