Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Off Topic Discussion > Ramblings
Reload this Page >

Movie: Star Wars - The Rise Of Skywalker

Notices

Old 09-05-2017, 05:43 PM
_

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Colin Trevorrow Out As ?Star Wars: Episode IX? Director | Deadline

Colin Trevorrow Out As ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ Director

September 5, 2017 2:50pm

Another Star Wars director change from Lucasfilm just now, which has announced that Colin Trevorrow has left Star Wars: Episode IX:
Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.
Trevorrow, whose blockbuster cred was set with the success of the Jurassic Park franchise reboot Jurassic World, was confirmed as director of the ninth film in the main Star Wars franchise back in August 2015. At the time, he said: “This is not a job or an assignment. It is a seat at a campfire, surrounded by an extraordinary group of storytellers, filmmakers, artists and craftspeople. We’ve been charged with telling new stories for a younger generation because they deserve what we all had—a mythology to call their own. We will do this by channeling something George Lucas instilled in all of us: boundless creativity, pure invention and hope.”

The film currently has a May 24, 2019 release date. The eighth movie in the series, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, hits theaters this December 15.

Trevorrow is an executive producer on the Jurassic World sequel Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, which he co-wrote with Derek Connolly. Juan Antonio Bayona has taken over directing from Trevorrow on that Universal pic; the first one grossed $1.67 billion worldwide. He has since directed the Focus Features drama The Book Of Henry, which failed to spark at the box office this summer.

If today’s surprising announcement seems familiar to Star Wars fans, it should. In June, Lucasfilm sent out a similar quick-hit release saying its Han Solo stand-alone movie was parting ways with directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller well into production. Ron Howard was later tapped to take over and the plan is to keep that film on track for its May 25, 2018 release date.

That came after Tony Gilroy came aboard the first franchise stand-alone, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Brought in on a weekly salary to do rewrites, he reportedly directed the extensive reshoots credited with helping a troubled picture overcome rough storytelling patches and end up a crowd-pleaser that grossed more than $1 billion. Original helmer Gareth Edwards is the credited director, but Gilroy was reportedly rewarded with a $5 million payday.

Lucasfilm and director Josh Trank parted ways in May 2015 after the Chronicle and Fantastic Four reboot helmer spent a year in development on another Star Wars stand-alone film.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 3,106 Likes on 2,190 Posts
JJ Abrams to write and direct Episode 9

Last edited by 97BlackAckCL; 09-12-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15,037 Likes on 9,324 Posts
Suite. Rambaldi will be a Dark Lord Sith something something.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:58 PM
old school

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Return of the Lens Flare?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:36 PM
_

It's also being pushed back 7 months.

Star Wars: Episode IX delayed seven months

Star Wars: Episode IX delayed seven months after director switch

September 12, 2017

Just hours after J.J. Abrams officially signed on to direct Star Wars: Episode IX, Disney has pushed the film’s release date back seven months.

The as-yet-untitled Episode IX will now open Dec. 20, 2019, instead of May 24, 2019. Guy Ritchie’s live-action Aladdin movie will take Star Wars’ May 24 release date instead.

Episode IX’s new release date also means it will have some box office competition: Wonder Woman 2 is scheduled to hit theaters just one week before on Dec. 13, 2019.

The release date shuffle comes on the same day as Disney’s announcement that Abrams will return to the franchise after The Force Awakens and replace Colin Trevorrow as the director of Episode IX. Abrams will also co-write the script with Argo’s Chris Terrio.

Episode IX continues a Star Wars history of December release dates, with The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and Rogue One all hitting theaters shortly before Christmas. As for the untitled young Han Solo spin-off, that’s still dated for May 25, 2018, even after Ron Howard was brought in at the last minute to replace previous directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

^ It was Rambaldi!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by elessar View Post
The Last Lens Flare?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:39 AM
old school

Old 09-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Stay Metal

Received 817 Likes on 640 Posts
Shit show
Old 09-14-2017, 02:42 PM
The Third Ball

Received 3,787 Likes on 2,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
Shit show
not really
Old 09-15-2017, 07:09 AM
Stay Metal

Received 817 Likes on 640 Posts
Debatable dude and I was referring to the franchise. Is this really normal for monster Hollywood franchises? I've never heard of so many issues, not sure if magnified because of the news cycle nowadays. Director leaves a Star Wars movie, 7 month delay, Rogue One rewrites/reshoots mentioned above, and the Han Solo issues. Is Disney part of the problem?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I think it has more to do with the way Disney is running things than the franchise itself. You definitely hear of directors coming and going on other big franchises, but I think it's far more magnified with this franchise
Old 09-15-2017, 11:21 AM
The Third Ball

Received 3,787 Likes on 2,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
Debatable dude and I was referring to the franchise. Is this really normal for monster Hollywood franchises? I've never heard of so many issues, not sure if magnified because of the news cycle nowadays. Director leaves a Star Wars movie, 7 month delay, Rogue One rewrites/reshoots mentioned above, and the Han Solo issues. Is Disney part of the problem?
You have a franchise that was run by one man for over 30 years. Now, its the hands of Kathleen Kennedy. Who is out to protect what that man has done, as well as her own stake and reputation. She has been around for a long time and is no fool.

Hollywood always has these issues. I can't you how many shows I've been on where the director is a clueless hack who happened to suck the right dick. The production is a nightmare...yet the movie is cobbled together by good editors and reshoots...and that director is suddenly a rich, hot ticket. Sad reality of this industry.

That said. Josh Trank was fired before he even started his spin off movie (potentially Rogue One) because of his odd and disturbing behavior of Fantastic Four (which was horrible)...and by accounts of people I know who worked on it...it was the right call. And since then that dude has sunk his own career.

Gareth Edwards...I'm not sure why he didn't helm the reshoots. He was still a part of editing them...and he was a smart company man who played ball. Everyone I know who has worked with him has said he is a really nice person.

Lord and Miller...I really love a lot of their stuff...but they were an odd odd choice for Solo movie, and they are established enough that they wanted to make it their way. Which, in the end, was not what Lucasfilm wanted them to do...so bye Felicia.

Trevorrow...I personally liked Jurassic World a lot. But apparently his ego got the best of him. And you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

A lot of this is under more scrutiny and public access than many other movies because its Star Wars. Its under a constant microscope. Marvel has had their shake ups and firings...So, has DC.

Another big problem is they keep hiring these young directors (not Lord and Miller, exception) who they can pay less, and hope are eager to please and be company people. But this is an industry of ego...it doesn't always work out like that...or the are so young or inexperienced that getting thrust in the film of this massive size just overwhelms them. Or they had one big hit and suddenly think they are a film god.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:34 PM
nnInn

Received 1,068 Likes on 635 Posts
These are people who grew up with this franchise or their parents did. And they think they have a way to take the story line..., that's isn't in the plans of a Disney. Mainly Kennedys plan for how the franchise has to go for the next 20 yrs.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts
I don't know what the first cut of Rogue One looked like, but I thought the end result was fucking amazing. A lot of people were skeptical if a prequel like that would be successful but it may be one of my favorite Star Wars movies now. The Eps IX could be the last movie of this trilogy we see for some time, so if its going to take longer, so be it, as long as the end result is that much better. Nothing wrong with taking things slow.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Received 4,404 Likes on 3,313 Posts
Agreed! I too really enjoyed Rogue One... My only gripe was they didn't show Darth Vader kicking some major a$$ more. His 30 second scene at the end was the coolest part of the movie... and there were a lot of cool parts. I sincerely hope Disney does a one off Vader movie one day, just showing his powers for 2 hours straight. That movie would be crazy. They can make it like a reality TV show. A day in the life of Vader
Old 09-26-2017, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
Agreed! I too really enjoyed Rogue One... My only gripe was they didn't show Darth Vader kicking some major a$$ more. His 30 second scene at the end was the coolest part of the movie... and there were a lot of cool parts. I sincerely hope Disney does a one off Vader movie one day, just showing his powers for 2 hours straight. That movie would be crazy. They can make it like a reality TV show. A day in the life of Vader
My only gripe was they killed off all the Asians in the roadtrip to the Imperial patent office and made the coolest [email protected]$$ ever BLIND. And not be allowed to use a lightsaber.

Racists!

I'm taking a knee next time I hear the Star Wars theme.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:58 AM
old school

Yeah that was awesome. I need to see it again to decide if Solo or Force Awakens is my favorite of the Disney SW movies.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:17 PM
old school

^ Wait... WTF? I thought I was posting that in the Solo thread this morning?
Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

I think the new "feature" of the continuous scroll bit you. If you're not careful, you may accidentally post in a different thread that the system thinks is related to the one you had intended.

For instance, I continuously am over-scrolling to the Bannon thread in R&P when I'm trying to post in the David Dennison is the F*cking Idiot of the USA thread.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:41 AM
old school

Originally Posted by Yumcha View Post
I think the new "feature" of the continuous scroll bit you. If you're not careful, you may accidentally post in a different thread that the system thinks is related to the one you had intended.

For instance, I continuously am over-scrolling to the Bannon thread in R&P when I'm trying to post in the David Dennison is the F*cking Idiot of the USA thread.
Ok, I guess the safe thing to do is just always quote an existing post, even if it's the last one in the thread, rather than just going "^"... Thanks Yum.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

I turned that function off. It's more annoying than anything.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 05-30-2018, 12:50 PM
old school

^

I turned that function off. It's more annoying than anything.
Done.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts
Billy Dee Williams Returning as Lando for Star Wars: Episode IX

Billy Dee Williams Returning as Lando for Star Wars: Episode IX

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed the long-gestating rumors that Billy Dee Williams will return to that galaxy far, far away and will reprise his role of Lando Calrissian for next year’s Star Wars: Episode IX!Williams made his debut as the gambling scoundrel in Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, reprising in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, and in countless other Star Wars shows like Star Wars Rebels and games like Star Wars: Jedi Knight II – Jedi Outcast. He even voiced the character in various Robot Chicken and Family Guy episodes dedicated solely to Star Wars as well as The LEGO Movie. Donald Glover stepped into the role earlier this year to play a younger Lando in Solo: A Star Wars Story.In Episode IX, Williams joins returning franchise stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Adam Driver, plus newcomer (and frequent J.J. Abrams collabroator) Keri Russell.Star Wars: Episode IX will conclude the third trilogy of Star Wars movies that began with Star Wars: The Force Awakens followed up by Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Following Colin Trevorrow’s exit over creative differences, Abrams — who directed The Force Awakens — was asked to return to direct Episode IX.

J.J. Abrams also co-wrote the script with Chris Terrio (Justice League, Argo). Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Abrams, Bad Robot, and Lucasfilm.Production on Episode IX will begin at the end of July with more cast announcements likely to be revealed before filming starts. Previously set for a May 24, 2019 release date, the film will now arrive on December 20, 2019.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:18 PM
_

Bring him back to kill him off? They've pretty much killed off every original male character so far.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Gotta tie up those loose ends lol, and maybe Leia runs off with him and explains her disappearance from the franchise
Old 07-10-2018, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 07-10-2018, 02:20 PM
_

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL View Post
It's revealed in Ep. IX that Lando is. . . . Kylo Ren's real father.

That's why Han Solo and Leia were separated before The Force Awakens.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...h-Empire-s-End

Star Wars news: Why Han Solo and Leia broke up before The Force Awakens REVEALED

Fans will remember that Han and Leia were separated in 2015’s Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

Set three decades after the couple seemed so in love in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, the reason why they split hasn’t been entirely explained – until now.

However, a new novel, set before The Force Awakens, called Star Wars: Aftermath: Empire’s End will reveal exactly why.

The book by Chuck Wendig is the third and final book in a trilogy that explores what happened between Episode VI and VII.

StarWars.com have published an excerpt from the novel that implies that Han and Leia broke up when the latter was pregnant with Ben Solo, who grows up to be Kylo Ren.

The excerpt reads: “It's been hard for Han. He won't say it out loud, but she can see it on his face."
Han couldn't handle that Leia cheated on him with Lando so he left her.

Kylo then kills Lando for ruining Han and Leia's marriage. Kylo also kills Leia for cheating on Han. No more loose ends.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:41 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 235 Posts
That's a bit of a stretch.

But yeah, Lando.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Wait...so, Kylo is half-...?!?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

His name should be LeKylo then.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Yumcha View Post
Wait...so, Kylo is half-...?!?
um, no
Old 07-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL View Post
um, no
Hey man. Don't deny LeKylo his heritage!

It would explain many things like how him and his posse did the drive-by shootdown of Leia's ship.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NAO!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:02 AM
_

Originally Posted by F-C View Post
That's a bit of a stretch.
If Leia can fly through space, if an untrained Rey can kill the powerful Snoke, then anything is possible.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Wait- you can't fly through space without a space suit on? What's wrong with you?

Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Wait- you can't fly through space without a space suit on? What's wrong with you?

The Force implies Forcefield. It envelopes the person. Duh. She could've been hucked into a lava pit and still survive.

Dafuq is wrong with you. Go read up on Force rules again.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Received 756 Likes on 537 Posts
In memory of original star wars and R. Lee Emery:

Old 07-11-2018, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

No, no, no, young padawan.

You act like the force rules are always the same, but in reality, they change for every movie that comes out. In the next movie, Luke and Leia will both be alive and well, and back in their 25 year old prime again. Because of the new and improved force rules. Duh.

Now excuse me while I fly into space with nothing but relying on the force, and chill there for a bit. It's like taking a polar plunge, except way less noise to listen to.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

No, no, no, young padawan.

You act like the force rules are always the same, but in reality, they change for every movie that comes out. In the next movie, Luke and Leia will both be alive and well, and back in their 25 year old prime again. Because of the new and improved force rules. Duh.

Now excuse me while I fly into space with nothing but relying on the force, and chill there for a bit. It's like taking a polar plunge, except way less noise to listen to.
Well hang on. We know the Force is more powerful for the womenz cuz you don't need training at all. At all. Look at Leia and Rey. So, by definition, if you have peepee parts, your Force is nerfed. By that maff, we know Luke is toast. But, yeah...Leia, she coming back younger, bigger bewbs, and better than Yoda ever dreamed of. She should've been the apprentice for him instead of Luke.

Could've saved the Galaxy a wholelotta heart-break cuz, she would've wooped Vader and the Emp's @$$es on the first try. From space. No laser-sword.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Movie: Star Wars - The Rise Of Skywalker

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.